O'Byrne and Kostopoulos arrested

les_glorieux

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is unreal.

You have managed to look at it from one side alone and make it work.

How bout this for a situation.

O'Byrne picks up this Tampa bar pig to take back to the Hotel for some fun. While waiting outside with her stuff she has a change of mind and says it is stolen, but yet somehow can point the bouncers to a guy outside who for some reason is staying in the area with stolen goods (yes that is sarcasm).

When the bouncer questions O'Byrne he says it is his girlfriends to avoid complicating the matter (for the night...she would be :) ). When the girl insists she isn't his girlfriend it becomes "Grand theft".

Teammates Kostopoulos and *(#%^#$ seeing all that has happened start to freak out about how stupid it is for a well paid person to steal a bar fly's purse after all that was supposed to take place after the bar. Now others that were with the party have clued in to what has transpired and would like to argue on his behalf, or to maybe clear up the understanding causing the police to "be fearful of the newly formed crowd" around the cruiser.

I think you can figure out the rest.

Cheers!

I wish some people would read an entire thread before posting. Had you done so, you would've realized that it was the Rookie supper that had been planned months in advance!

These are 20-something guys who were looking to have fun. Why aren't they allowed to go out. It's not like they were playing the next day.

Like a few people said, let's wait and see what the Habs have to say before we go off and crucify the poor guy!

who the hell was crucifying him? did you even read what I posted? First of all I am perfectly aware that it was a rookie SUPPER

all I said was that at 3:00 am he would have been better off in bed with or without company than fighting with the police. You disagree? :wacko:

Most hockey players at that age are arrogant buggers who figure they are above the law. I assume the cops are not idiots and while there may be an eventual explanation that gets him off the hook (more likely a good lawyer), I wouldn't count on this being a simple "misunderstanding'.

So you've known a lot of young hockey players? Spent time with them enough to judge them as you just have?

You assume all cops are not idiots... That's a lot of assuming you're doing.

I never said he was guilty. I said that he should not just be assumed innocent (since he is rich, he didn't need the money, so he must be innocent argument) and he should not be just granted clemency (whats the big deal, so he stole a person's purse, he was probably just fooling around argument).

I also said that Gainey needs to take action immediately, based on his assessment of what happened, not the legal shit. Perhaps I wasn't clear on that. If Gainey feels there are any grounds for these charges (and I don't buy into the poor O'Byrne was innocent but harassed by the police argument), he should suspend O'byrne, regardless if his lawyer manages to get him off. Hell, team's suspend players for being late for a practice. :)

WHAT??????

Never heard of innocent until PROVEN guilty? It is one of the basic foundations of justice in the developed world...people are supposed to be automatically ASSUMED as innocent.

You sound really bad on this...unfortunately justice in Canada/US is moving towards a presumed guilty, prove your innocent, type of mentality. Do you really think pro-athletes and celebrities get away with more then the average person? There are just as many examples of celebrity/athletes getting hammered by the courts harder then normal...

No one is saying that the guy should be given a free pass...they're saying there are any number of reasons you can speculate about that would make this a meaningless incident, just as there are many that would lead to this being deemed a bad incident.

For the record, I've seen pro-athletes do a lot of dumb stuff. The mentality is typically one that is bent on excess. These types don't think they are above the law...they just don't think about the law. However, this incident is so bizarre I believe it almost has to be either a misunderstanding, a rookie prank/dare gone bad, or a drunk guy making an ass out of himself...and probably nothing more then that...but either way, the whole story will come out and the speculation will end.

Pffff, this is nothing compared to what Corson & Chelios used to pull back in the days...

Agreed...Chelios pulled a lot of crap...

From whats been released so far the only thing that could possibly make any sense is that O Byrne was set up.

Who is the chick?

How often does she frequent that bar?

and how well does she know the bouncers?

something stupid happened, in most cases things like this would be cleared up with an 'Oops - Sorry'... but the bouncers were probably afraid to confront the players themselves, and so the cops were called.

At this point I'm seriously wondering what the bouncers relationship is with the chick. I dont think the bouncers were afraid of the players, I think they called the police because they are in on the scam or created the entire thing themselves.

After all its not like a rich non American hockey player doesnt have cha-ching written all over it for somebody to pull off some scam for a fast buck. It wouldnt be the 1st pro athlete in North America to be accused of something with the sole intention of getting a large pay out.

Plus maybe the bouncer was jealous that a chic that is usually all over him was paying attention to O Byrne so he called the Cops when he saw O Byrne standing out front of the bar with the chics purse. When confronted by the Police he said its his girlfriends, to which to chic retorted "I'm not your girlfriend" to which the Cops interpreted it as a lie and arrested him.

There has to be some sort of reasonable explanation for what happened.

Just thought about it, considering it was the rookie dinner...possibly it was a rookie dare kind of scenario?

Anyhow, Gainey does not seem like the kind of guy who appreciates this kind of publicity. It reminds of Corson getting into frequent fights in Montreal bars, and getting knocked out once by that ex-NFLer. Strangely enough, the fellow came by my high school to talk about his battle with drug addiction and talked quite candidly about knocking him out.

That's what I assumed as well, since it was the rookie dinner. Maybe it was some sort of hazing dare where he had to steal a woman's purse. The story clearly doesn't make sense (why would a young, pro hockey player need to steal 20$ from a stranger's purse?), I think it was either that or he was drunk out of his mind.

Wait, are you telling me hockey players are also human?

I'm sure many people in Montreal are taking this way too seriously. I found it rather funny. O'Byrne desperately needed cash after that rookie dinner set him back and Tom the Bomb stands up to the cops just like they were opposing players roughing up his teammate. Classic! :D

Edited by ForumGhost

So you've known a lot of young hockey players? Spent time with them enough to judge them as you just have?

You assume all cops are not idiots... That's a lot of assuming you're doing.

Yes, I know a lot of cops and a lot of hockey players.

The charges were laid in the morning. If it was arrest and release then yeah, but it wasn't. They were taken to court and needed bail after the cops got the whole story.

So what ever happened, I have a hard time believing a police conspiracy.

As I said, I doubt he intended to steal the purse, I bet he was just drunk and stupid. Unfortunately, that is not a great defense. They will plead it out.

Too bad we'll have to wait to hear about it.

There was a team meeting and he was still on the ice. That tells me that he is not a petty thief (as we suspected) or Gainey would have had him out of there fast. The habs are not going to foot the bill, which tells me that Gainey is sending a message about being stupid. :)

I was thinking there is one big reason that Gainey wouldn't suspend him. If the team confess that they set him up (dare, whatever), then he won't punish him publicly. I bet if that is true, the vets who put him up to it are now suffering in silence (ie.. they just got the tab for the next dinner.. lol).

I bet they just plead out some kind of misdeanor, community service thing at the end of the day.

Still, it will be funny if we ever find out what the "internal resolution" was. Ouch. :)

Wait, are you telling me hockey players are also human?

I'm sure many people in Montreal are taking this way too seriously. I found it rather funny. O'Byrne desperately needed cash after that rookie dinner set him back and Tom the Bomb stands up to the cops just like they were opposing players roughing up his teammate. Classic! :D

That's my impression too hehe ;)

Finally something happens during a rookies dinner. It's not like they did any damage. Was he stealing that lady's purse? You've got to be kidding.

Hey, weirder stuff happens all the time. A guy on the Reds once got kicked off the team for stealing stuff from teammates.

I don't remember the Reds thing. But I do know that Ruben Rivera (Mariano Rivera's cousin) stole Derek Jeter's glove

and tried to sell it on ebay when he was with the Yankees. It lead to his release.

I have been out drinking a night or two in my days, how much money I have in my wallet at 3am is a question I can usually answer within $50, I could easily be off by a twenty, that is her word vs his which won't stand up in court. He says he took no money out, she says he did..... no proof. Grand theft? That's the best part of this. If he had been charged with a theft under or simular a lawyer might be able to make it stick, grand theft, good luck. Sort of like charging someone with murder one when only a manslaughter charge will stick. Because of that I don't think the cops expect it to go to court. They know his lawyers will make a deal with the D.A. for a lesser charge and he will pay the fine.

Christ sakes, I take a few days off to go to Fredericton NB for the East Coast Music Awards and what happens? We drop 2 games and 2 players get arrested. I better stay home!

I have been out drinking a night or two in my days, how much money I have in my wallet at 3am is a question I can usually answer within $50, I could easily be off by a twenty, that is her word vs his which won't stand up in court. He says he took no money out, she says he did..... no proof. Grand theft? That's the best part of this. If he had been charged with a theft under or simular a lawyer might be able to make it stick, grand theft, good luck. Sort of like charging someone with murder one when only a manslaughter charge will stick. Because of that I don't think the cops expect it to go to court. They know his lawyers will make a deal with the D.A. for a lesser charge and he will pay the fine.

Christ sakes, I take a few days off to go to Fredericton NB for the East Coast Music Awards and what happens? We drop 2 games and 2 players get arrested. I better stay home!

Maybe the coke in her purse was worth a couple grand. Or maybe he paid her for service rendered, he was less than satisfied

and ripped the purse from her hands to get his money back.

Edited by Wamsley01

Well that would be a lot of blow (about 20grams) , in which case she would have been arrested for possession at the very least if not possession with intent. Speaking of which, where is the proof he took it himself. A good lawyer will state he picked it up out side and was looking in her cell to find the owner, possession of stolen property at the most.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Rookie dinners aside, wtf is a rook doing wandering around the clubs at 3 am when

a) he has just rejoined the team

b) we are there for the hockey

c) we are in a mimi slump?

As for point c), this applies to the whole team ( I read on RDS that Higgins and Huet were also there). A dinner, a few drinks out. OK, but 3 am at a boozer for pro athletes?

Points to Kosto, btw, for standing p to the pigs - despite the circumstances. The whole incident sounds absurd, but could lead to Bob being more willing to give up O'Byrne in a trade.

Ahh, however, he is Irish. Sláinte, Ryan: nár lagaí Dia do lámh!

Well that would be a lot of blow (about 20grams) , in which case she would have been arrested for possession at the very least if not possession with intent. Speaking of which, where is the proof he took it himself. A good lawyer will state he picked it up out side and was looking in her cell to find the owner, possession of stolen property at the most.

LOL, I really couldn't tell you how much blow that would be. And you know this how?