Will a Trade make the Habs a legitimate 2008

HabsWEST

Okay well which 5 teams are better than the Canadiens.

I would say

Sens

Ducks

Wings

Devils

I truly believe the Habs could beat any other team in a seven game series.

The Habs could beat any other team in a seven game series. I wouldn't go so far as to pick them to do it, but yes they'd have a decent chance against most other good teams.

Penguins - this one really depends on goal-tending, but I feel like we have a better chance of getting a sublime performance from Price than they do from Conklin or Fleury. If both teams have average goal-tending then the Pens probably win.

Sharks - They have better forwards, and an advantage in between the pipes with Nabokov. We'd be lucky to pull this one out, and once again we'd need great goal-tending.

Stars - Another superior team to us, we'd really have to be on to beat them. They aren't 2nd in the west for no reason.

Wild, Flames, Colorado - These would be tight series that could go either way.

Rangers - They play us well, have great goal-tending and plenty of veterans.

Buffalo, Philadelphia - These are ones that we'd probably go in as the slight favourites, but either of these teams could take us down.

So really, I see us in a pack of teams in middle-bottom of the playoff rankings. We could go on a tear and win series, but so could other teams. Luckily most of the dangerous teams this year are in the West.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay well which 5 teams are better than the Canadiens.

I would say

Sens

Ducks

Wings

Devils

I truly believe the Habs could beat any other team in a seven game series.

Although you and Neech are both taking sensible approaches to your lists, part of me understands

that a hot goalie can change everything.

In 1993 the Habs struggled with the Bruins and the Pens were runaway President's trophy winners,

but the Bs got bounced and so did the Pens. Toss in a scorching hot Roy and a couple of kids nobody

expected anything from and you have a parade.

So although I would not want to see the Devils in the playoffs I think they can beat them.

Sens and Wings have TERRIBLE goaltending. Now the Ducks....yikes, I think I would get sick

of seeing Pronger, Niedermayer and Schneider over and over and over.

They are probably the only team that I would assume defeat. I may fear others, but the Ducks are built for

the playoffs.

But this is Bettman's New NHL where parity reigns supreme. A long run could just as easily end in 4 games.

The Habs could beat any other team in a seven game series. I wouldn't go so far as to pick them to do it, but yes they'd have a decent chance against most other good teams.

Penguins - this one really depends on goal-tending, but I feel like we have a better chance of getting a sublime performance from Price than they do from Conklin or Fleury. If both teams have average goal-tending then the Pens probably win.

Sharks - They have better forwards, and an advantage in between the pipes with Nabokov. We'd be lucky to pull this one out, and once again we'd need great goal-tending.Stars - Another superior team to us, we'd really have to be on to beat them. They aren't 2nd in the west for no reason.

Buffalo, Philadelphia - These are ones that we'd probably go in as the slight favourites, but either of these teams could take us down.

So really, I see us in a pack of teams in middle-bottom of the playoff rankings. We could go on a tear and win series, but so could other teams. Luckily most of the dangerous teams this year are in the West.

Sharks will not be in the cup finals and that is a gaurentee.

Sharks will not be in the cup finals and that is a gaurentee.

They always seem to disappoint. But what if they make a huge deadline deal, does the guarantee still hold? :)

I would be shocked if it is not the Ducks. In the east I can't see the Sens goaltending standing up.

I think this situation will be the true test of Gainey's patience. A patient man, despite our place in the standings, would realize that this time is not yet fully mature and would continue the gradual building process until all the pieces fall into place. As it stands, Higgins isn't quite there yet, Price still needs some work, Sergei will be very good in a year or two and O'byrne could use a little more seasoning. Also, Chipchura should be a factor as well. They Gainey we know wouldn't sign away future prospects for someone like Hossa unless he was serious about a cup run, unless he could sign him to a multi-year before July.

But I'm sure the pressure is (and has been for a while) for the Canadiens to go somewhere and somewhere fast. I think any other G.M. might take a chance with Hossa just to appease the fans and media.

They always seem to disappoint. But what if they make a huge deadline deal, does the guarantee still hold? :)

I would be shocked if it is not the Ducks. In the east I can't see the Sens goaltending standing up.

Unless their deadline deal involves Thornton for Crosby and Malkin yes it holds up.

True about the Sharks, I don't care what deadline deal they make. I can't see the Ducks repeat, that whole coming out of retirement bullcrap had to kill the spirit of that team.

Actually I see the West being a real scramble this year. Phoenix will sneak in and knock off Detroit in a crazy 7 game series. Everyone will be watching that cinderella story unfold when Minnesota will come in and steal the conference final.

On the otherside it will be Montreal, Pittsburgh or Boston. I'm hoping the Habs. A big trade like (Hossa) would up our chances for sure. Just on the fact it would ignite what I feel is already a strong team that is going to take it up a few notches come play-off time.

Sharks - They have better forwards, and an advantage in between the pipes with Nabokov. We'd be lucky to pull this one out, and once again we'd need great goal-tending.

Stars - Another superior team to us, we'd really have to be on to beat them. They aren't 2nd in the west for no reason.

I agree that we are about equal with the Pens and that our goaltending and depth is likely to make us favourites over them.

We are probably favoured overed the Rangers, Sabres and Flyers right now and would be more so with one or two deadline additions. These teams do not have many spare assets to spend in order to improve much at the deadline.

If we play the Stars, Wild, Flames or Avenlanche it will be in the cup final. If Gainey thought we were going to the finals I am sure he would make a deal to increase our chances of winnning this year.

Edited by Peter Puck

I think, within the organization, the general idea is to make the serious cup run in the centennial year, no?

We hope to be better next season, maybe even top level contenders. But next year isn't the season when we'll be laying it all on the line.

It is starting to look like we could be the team that comes out of the east. Most would say Ottawa is the favourite but we are right up there. So would you like to see Gainey roll the dice ? We look to have 2 # 1 goaltenders , and Ottawa has 2 struggling goaltenders. Could/would/should Gainey trade Huet to Ottawa? I know sounds stupid but hear me out.

To Ottawa

Huet = ufa at the end of the year, it would be 50/50 we would sign him at the end of the year.

Begin = signed thru 08/09 at 1.3 million OR Kostopoulus = signed thru 08/09 at 900 000 a year.

Dandenault = signed thru 08/09 at 1.75 million

To MONTREAL

Gerber = signed thru 08/09 at 3.7 million

Neil = singed thru 08/09 at 1.2 million

Vermette = rfa at the end of the year is making 1 million this year

Ottawa would get that # 1 goaltender they will need to compete for the cup. Begin or Kostopoulus would replace some of the grit left behind with Neil leaving. Dandenault would be a depth player that could play forward or defense.

Montreal would be taking a chance trading Huet away plus giving him to a eastern conference rival. But they would be getting back the grit they need in Neil , he would be an excellent 3 line player for Montreal. Vermette would fit Montreals plans as he is young and fast and has a lot of upside, and it wouldn't hurt he is from Quebec. He would play with Koivu and Higgins or on a third line with Neil and whoever Guy decided. Gerber brings a big price tag but he would be somewhat of an insurance policy if price couldn't handle the load or got hurt.

Montreal would pick up 2 players under contract for next year (Neil , Gerber) plus Vermette that would be a rfa at the end of the year. The total $ for this year would be around 6 million.

Montreal would be giving up 2 players that are signed thru 08/09 ( Dandy, Begin or Kostopoulus ) and Huet an ufa that might not want to sign in Montreal. The total $ for the year would be around 6 million as well.

The Dollars would work for both teams, but montreal might be taking the greater risk?

Ottawa wouldn't do that in my opinion.

Gerber vs. Huet is debatable, Huet probably wins but not by that much

Neil brings more to the table than Begin or Dandenault, once again could be arguable but I'm sure most would agree they would rather have Chris Neil

Vermette >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Begin or Dandenault

The problem with making a trade is that its a sellers market right now. So if your going

to make a trade it'll cost alot. Because of that you have to have a very good idea of your

need/s. Also, its not always getting the superstar that can have the biggest impact.

I think we need a C, preferably a righthanded one. He has to have some size, be good on

faceoffs, have a bit of a nasty streak and young enough to be around for awhile. He should

have the ability to play on your 2nd line and having some past chemistry with some of your

players would be huge. Hopefully that player is having an off season and is available.

The guy I keep thinking about is Stoll, put him between Higgins and Ryder, I think they

might have played together with the Bulldogs.

Put Koivu between Latendresse and S.Kostitsyn.

Lapierre between Begin and Kostopoulos.

The trick is how to get Stoll without giving up any of our top prospects.

I think we need a C, preferably a righthanded one. He has to have some size, be good on

faceoffs, have a bit of a nasty streak and young enough to be around for awhile. He should

have the ability to play on your 2nd line and having some past chemistry with some of your

players would be huge. Hopefully that player is having an off season and is available.

The guy I keep thinking about is Stoll, put him between Higgins and Ryder, I think they

might have played together with the Bulldogs.

You basically gave a description only Stoll could fit! :P

Frankly I dont see why people are so high on Stoll... seems to me he's just Chipchura with a better shot. Not much offensive upside there...

You basically gave a description only Stoll could fit! :P

Frankly I dont see why people are so high on Stoll... seems to me he's just Chipchura with a better shot. Not much offensive upside there...

Well, he's 25 years old.

At 23 he had a 68 point season.

At 24 before he got a season ending concussion he had 39 points in 51 games.

Most players reach there peak between 27-30.

But, there is that concussion and he's not having a great year, hence we might get him

cheaper than we would normally. I take that gamble.

Whats wrong with having 2 Chipchura types? Hell I'd love to have 3 of them :clap:

It is starting to look like we could be the team that comes out of the east. Most would say Ottawa is the favourite but we are right up there. So would you like to see Gainey roll the dice ? We look to have 2 # 1 goaltenders , and Ottawa has 2 struggling goaltenders. Could/would/should Gainey trade Huet to Ottawa? I know sounds stupid but hear me out.

To Ottawa

Huet = ufa at the end of the year, it would be 50/50 we would sign him at the end of the year.

Begin = signed thru 08/09 at 1.3 million OR Kostopoulus = signed thru 08/09 at 900 000 a year.

Dandenault = signed thru 08/09 at 1.75 million

To MONTREAL

Gerber = signed thru 08/09 at 3.7 million

Neil = singed thru 08/09 at 1.2 million

Vermette = rfa at the end of the year is making 1 million this year

Ottawa would get that # 1 goaltender they will need to compete for the cup. Begin or Kostopoulus would replace some of the grit left behind with Neil leaving. Dandenault would be a depth player that could play forward or defense.

Montreal would be taking a chance trading Huet away plus giving him to a eastern conference rival. But they would be getting back the grit they need in Neil , he would be an excellent 3 line player for Montreal. Vermette would fit Montreals plans as he is young and fast and has a lot of upside, and it wouldn't hurt he is from Quebec. He would play with Koivu and Higgins or on a third line with Neil and whoever Guy decided. Gerber brings a big price tag but he would be somewhat of an insurance policy if price couldn't handle the load or got hurt.

Montreal would pick up 2 players under contract for next year (Neil , Gerber) plus Vermette that would be a rfa at the end of the year. The total $ for this year would be around 6 million.

Montreal would be giving up 2 players that are signed thru 08/09 ( Dandy, Begin or Kostopoulus ) and Huet an ufa that might not want to sign in Montreal. The total $ for the year would be around 6 million as well.

The Dollars would work for both teams, but montreal might be taking the greater risk?

This deal would NEVER happen. Even if Ottawa and montreal werenT' divisional rivals, this deal wouldn'T make sense for the Sens. They wouldn'T give up Neil for Bégin or Kosto and they wouldn't give up Vermette for Dandy. It just doesn'T amke any sense for the Sens.

This deal would NEVER happen. Even if Ottawa and montreal werenT' divisional rivals, this deal wouldn'T make sense for the Sens. They wouldn'T give up Neil for Bégin or Kosto and they wouldn't give up Vermette for Dandy. It just doesn'T amke any sense for the Sens.

Like I posted this trade will not happen because ottawa and Montreal are so close in the standing. But you underrate Huet he is an allstar goaltender and that is the position Ottawa is lacking so Gerber ( which they would love to get rid of because he is overpaid and not working out in Ottawa) and Neil ( a third line player ) and Vermette (another third line player in Ottawa) is not a lot to ask for if you are giving away an allstar goaltender. Plus Begin OR Kostopouleus would fill some of the grit left behind by Neil, yes maybe they aren't as good as Neil but Huet is heads and shoulders above Gerber. Dandy = vermette would be a lobsided part of the deal for Montreal but Vermette is a rfa at the end of the year and will be looking for 2-3 million a year, with Redden leaving Ottawa might want to put that money towards defense. This is where dandy comes into the picture he could help out as a d or a forward.

Look at it this way if we didn't have Huet and Price and we needed a # 1 allstar goaltender and we had the best record in the east like Ottawa. I would bet gainey would trade Begin (NEil) , Latendresse( vermette) , and a struggling goaltender( gerber) for a allstar goal tender like just say Vokoun

Dude, you have to stop making these trades on your playstation and then think that they could actually be done in real life.

Chris Neil is one of the most valued commodities in the NEW NHL. He can fight and play hockey at the same time. He's not a goon, but a real tough guy, and these types of players are EXTREMELY rare in the NHL. Ottawa would not give him up for Bégin or Kostopoulos. As much as I love Stevie B and Kostopolous, they are common player in the NHL. Not to mention that Bégin's career is almost over. All the years of playing a "crash and bang" style of game are taking their toll on his body!

Antoine Vermette is not a 3rd line player. Before Stillman arrived, he had the numbers to be 2nd left winger on this team. Place Vermette on any other team in the NHL(except Detroit) and he's a 2nd liner. the Kid has 33 points (with almost NO PP time) To compare him to Dandeneault is unrealistic. I know, you said that Dandy might be interesting for Ottawa because Redden will leave, but why would Ottawa be interested in a d-man who couldn't even win a regular spot on the defensive corp of another team??? Let's not forget the age difference as well. Dandy is 32, Vermette is only 25.

And lastly the goalies. I agree, Huet is underrated in this league, but I don't put him on a pedestal as you seem to be doing. Huet still hasn'T proven that he can win big games for the habs....and by "big games" i mean Playoff games.

Why would Ottawa go from One goalie who hasn't proven anything in the league(Gerber) to another goalie who hasn't done much more(Huet)?

Let's not forget that Huet will be an UFA in July, which would create more problems to this deal.

Edited by Habsfan

If we could add one player to our team which of the these three would be the best fit?

Three that have been talked about are Alex Tanguay, Marion Hossa, and Olli Jokinen. So far this year Tanguay has 11 goals, 35 assists [46 pts.], is +12 and 29 years old. Hossa has 26 goals, 27 assists [53 pts.], is -13 and 28 years old. Jokinen has 29 goals, 30 assists [59 pts.], is -12 and 29 years old. I would not even discuss Sundin. Asking too muck and will likely sign back with Toronto. Too expensive for a short term rental.

I think it should come down to Hossa and Jokinen. Jokinen has a very slight advantage in his numbers this year, 3 more goals and 3 more assists than Hossa, but Hossa is a year younger. They seem to even out.

Bottom line? Both of these players would really add what we need to our team. A consistent scoring top 3 forward. A move like that could push us further ahead so we could do some real damage in the play-offs. Let's hope for one of them, and hopefully not a rental, but signed to a longer term contract!!

Agree with JMMR. Jokinnen, but he would cost too much. However, Boyle would make us pretty impressive in the back end.

I don't think we should mortgage the farm .... things are just starting to warm up in Habs land!