Will a Trade make the Habs a legitimate 2008

HabsWEST

i don't think this is the year to trade for someone. I think we should do it in the summer.

We have a solid group who should really explode over the summer. I say wait untill some of our guys (Pleks, Kostisyn, Higgins) are closer to their prime. I think next year would be best as it would be one of the last good years for the againg core and a good year for the young guys

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Gratton

Big, tough, wins faceoffs, will fight every now and again. Won't have to give up much to get him. Won't be a major chemistry change either.

Begin Gratton Kostopolous

That is a great idea. I especially like that line combination with Bégin, Kostopoulos and Gratton.

As much as I'd like to see Hossa, Tanguay or Jokinen in Montreal, i just don't think that Bob is willing to let go of any of our good young players.

I really don'T want to see Higgins, Plekanec, A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Lapierre, Komisarek, O'Byrne, Price, Valetenko, Emelin, McDonaugh or Paccioretty traded away. These guys are gonna lead us to a cup.

What's left? Ryder, Bouillon, Dandy, Halak, Fisher, Smolinski, Brisebois, Grabovsky, Locke, Danis...I don't think we can get much in return for these players.

let's not forget that if you make a big trade, you might fv.ck up the team chemistry!

That is a great idea. I especially like that line combination with Bégin, Kostopoulos and Gratton.

As much as I'd like to see Hossa, Tanguay or Jokinen in Montreal, i just don't think that Bob is willing to let go of any of our good young players.

I really don'T want to see Higgins, Plekanec, A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Lapierre, Komisarek, O'Byrne, Price, Valetenko, Emelin, McDonaugh or Paccioretty traded away. These guys are gonna lead us to a cup.

What's left? Ryder, Bouillon, Dandy, Halak, Fisher, Smolinski, Brisebois, Grabovsky, Locke, Danis...I don't think we can get much in return for these players.

let's not forget that if you make a big trade, you might fv.ck up the team chemistry!

You've named 7 young forward prospects and 4 d-man prospects...and that's on top of some vets like Markov, Hamrlik, Koivu, etc...and doesn't include any of our picks 5 months from now...and there will be at least a couple that "make your new list".

The fact is, that of those 11 young players you list...at least 3 of the forwards will not be top 2 line players and at least 2-3 of those d-men will not be top 2 pairing guys. And you think that they will lead us to a cup? I love tracking prospects but let's keep a dose of reality in evaluating where they will fit in the future. Almost no team in the NHL currently has 6 rookies getting regular minutes like the Habs currently...and NO team has an additional 5 prospects(making 11 prospects total) that will comprise of their top 6 forwards, top 4 d-men and top goalie in the next 3 years!!!

I think what we have to keep in mind is that Gainey this week from Florida said he does not want to make a kind of sideways move, he wants to add an impact player. As much as I like Gratton, I agree he'd be a third liner, I don't think that is what Gainey has in mind. He said he wants an impact player and if the rumors are true, Hossa, Jokinen and to a lesser degree Tanguay seem to be the guys he's looking at.

Hossa wouldnt cost nearly as much as Jokinen. IMO he's the best option for us.

The guy is such a horse, plays in all situations and would give us some good size on the wings.

Having said that, any one of Sundin, Hossa or Jokinen would be incredible. Tanguay is the one guy we're rumoured to be after that i don't think we need him. Small and pass-first is something we have lots of. Though Ryder and a 2nd or 3rd round pick wouldn't be a whole lot to give up.

Hossa wouldnt cost nearly as much as Jokinen. IMO he's the best option for us.

The guy is such a horse, plays in all situations and would give us some good size on the wings.

Having said that, any one of Sundin, Hossa or Jokinen would be incredible. Tanguay is the one guy we're rumoured to be after that i don't think we need him. Small and pass-first is something we have lots of. Though Ryder and a 2nd or 3rd round pick wouldn't be a whole lot to give up.

Chemistry is a fragile thing. Gainey has to assess the chances at a Cup run this year. If he thinks there is a shot he might go for it.

Otherwise you back off, tinker and try to get better defensively and hope for the best.

You don't want to do what the Leafs did and take shots when they really did not have the team and give up youth.

They brought in Nolan thinking he was the last piece and gave up McCauley a pick and Boyes to get him.

McCauley at the time was an important part of their team and Boyes has turned into a 30-40 goal scorer. All for a second round exit.

If everything goes right the Habs can win the Cup this season. Is that enough to mortgage the future?

That being said, I trust Timmons to know which prospects to throw into a deal.

You've named 7 young forward prospects and 4 d-man prospects...and that's on top of some vets like Markov, Hamrlik, Koivu, etc...and doesn't include any of our picks 5 months from now...and there will be at least a couple that "make your new list".

The fact is, that of those 11 young players you list...at least 3 of the forwards will not be top 2 line players and at least 2-3 of those d-men will not be top 2 pairing guys. And you think that they will lead us to a cup? I love tracking prospects but let's keep a dose of reality in evaluating where they will fit in the future. Almost no team in the NHL currently has 6 rookies getting regular minutes like the Habs currently...and NO team has an additional 5 prospects(making 11 prospects total) that will comprise of their top 6 forwards, top 4 d-men and top goalie in the next 3 years!!!

I believe this is the scenario Bob is working under. I think he is looking to manage his prospects so he doesn't have a lot of NHL ready guys unhappy at playing in the AHL. I think he's arrived at the place where he has to carefully work out how many realistic spots he's going to have for up and coming players and then be willing to package them with other assets for a top player. I think with our depth we have finally arrived at the place where we can do this and not hurt ourselves in the long run. How many players are going to fo through what Halak is going through thies year-NHL ready but no room for him. You can't do this for too long with any player.

Please keep in mind that you need complimetary quality depth players to help the core. Remember Tremblay and Lambert from the glory days? Not first liners but just as important.

Trading depth for a quick fix is the "Toronto Maple Leaf Way" of pro player management. :lol:

Chemistry is a fragile thing. Gainey has to assess the chances at a Cup run this year. If he thinks there is a shot he might go for it.

Otherwise you back off, tinker and try to get better defensively and hope for the best.

You don't want to do what the Leafs did and take shots when they really did not have the team and give up youth.

They brought in Nolan thinking he was the last piece and gave up McCauley a pick and Boyes to get him.

McCauley at the time was an important part of their team and Boyes has turned into a 30-40 goal scorer. All for a second round exit.

If everything goes right the Habs can win the Cup this season. Is that enough to mortgage the future?

That being said, I trust Timmons to know which prospects to throw into a deal.

Big difference between Hossa and Nolan. Nolan was what, 35 when that deal was made? Hossa is 28 and still in his prime. If we sign him longterm then he is a top contributor for us for the next 5 or 6 years.

IMO we can't worry too much about disrupting chemistry when talking about bringing in a player like Hossa. It's not like Hossa would disrupt the Pleks line, it would only disrupt the Koivu line, which let's face it, needs to be disrupted.

As was just mentioned on the Team 990, I'm sure Gainey will sit down with a few of the leaders of this team (Koivu, Kovalev) before making a deal and run it by them. Especially a deal that would bring in a guy like Hossa or Sundin.

Big difference between Hossa and Nolan. Nolan was what, 35 when that deal was made? Hossa is 28 and still in his prime. If we sign him longterm then he is a top contributor for us for the next 5 or 6 years.

IMO we can't worry too much about disrupting chemistry when talking about bringing in a player like Hossa. It's not like Hossa would disrupt the Pleks line, it would only disrupt the Koivu line, which let's face it, needs to be disrupted.

As was just mentioned on the Team 990, I'm sure Gainey will sit down with a few of the leaders of this team (Koivu, Kovalev) before making a deal and run it by them. Especially a deal that would bring in a guy like Hossa or Sundin.

Nolan had just turned 31 years old. But he was a different type player. But it is an apt comparison in that he was not the piece

to put them over the top because they were not 1 piece away from the top. They gave up a guy that 4 years later is a 30+ goal scorer

for nothing.

Hossa comes in and will most likely have to sign an extension at 8-9M per year, considering that you would place him on the second line

and he would be the highest paid player on the team by a mile I don't think you can just say he would not screw up chemistry.

You do not know the team chemistry, maybe Gainey doesn't either. It is tough to peg. I am mentioning that it could disrupt it, you are saying it will not.

AS far as Kovy/Koivu It depends on their leadership abilities, Rodman destroyed the Spurs but was held in line with the Bulls because their alpha dog kept him in check. Considering what happened in the last 3-4 years with the cliques on this team I am not so willing to assume that Kovy/Koivu can take care of it.

But I trust Gainey

Of those three Jokinen would be best as he is signed to a cheap deal and is the power centre the Habs would love to have.

But I would prefer Boyle for a 1 year cup rin./

I agree with you. Jokinen would make a big difference. He is still young (29), a fast, strong skater. Good, tough leader too. Definitely an impact player.

I don't see how we could keep Koivu and Jokinen in the same team though. IMO, as long as Koivu will be there he will ask for a big share of ice time. I don't think Carbo would be able to satisfy both players.

JMHO

I don't see how we could keep Koivu and Jokinen in the same team though. IMO, as long as Koivu will be there he will ask for a big share of ice time. I don't think Carbo would be able to satisfy both players.

JMHO

You don't even try to satisfy both players. You give Jokinen the minutes his level of play demands, and if the 'other guy' doesn't like it....he can waive his NTC and go elsewhere. Can't be trying to make friends as a coach or GM...you have to do what's best for the team.

I agree with you. Jokinen would make a big difference. He is still young (29), a fast, strong skater. Good, tough leader too. Definitely an impact player.

JMHO

Great name

Chemistry is a fragile thing.
Gainey rocks. He's after big fish and that's fantastic. I trust in BOb as I know you do as well Wamsley01. Gainey keeps his cards close to his chest but we can be sure there is plan B, C, D and E :clap:

Whatever those plans are I am not worried about the results. Gainey in one way or another is going to deliver. Samsonov being the exception to the rule, Gainey is good at identifying good character players that will fit in Montreal. Mr. Shrewd won't roast us :)

Very exciting times :hlogo:

The fact is, that of those 11 young players you list...at least 3 of the forwards will not be top 2 line players and at least 2-3 of those d-men will not be top 2 pairing guys

Just because I said i didn't want to see these young prospects/players traded away, doesn't mean I think they'll all be top 2 line players or top pair d-men.

In case you hadn't noticed, but teams who win the cup have solid 3rd and 4th lines, and their 2nd and 3rd d-men pairings are also solid.

Who knows, maybe 3 years from now, Higgins will play on a 3rd line??

I think what we have to keep in mind is that Gainey this week from Florida said he does not want to make a kind of sideways move, he wants to add an impact player.

I find that surprising seeing as not later than last week, Bob said (on RDS) that he wasn'T looking to make a splash. He was looking to add a depth player, nothing MAJOR. Probably a 3rd liner who can win faceoffs.

AS far as hossa is concerned, i think he would cost too much money. he already makes 7 million$ per season...are we willing to pay him 8 or 9 million$ on a 6 year deal???

If, and that's a BIG "If", Bob does make a move, i think he'll go for Tanguay. Tanguay is a winger who could help Saku and Higgins, whereas Jokinen is a centre and would cause some sh.it in the dressing room with Saku. Also, Tanguay is signed for the next year or 2 at 5.25 million$ per season....that's alot less than the 7-8 or 9 million$ Hossa will be looking for!

Edited by Habsfan

Sorry Rev-G, look s like you were right! Apparently Bob did say that he's looking for an Impact player, but that he wasn't willing to dismantle the current team to get one!

here's the link to the story on tsn.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230069&hubname=

Edited by Habsfan

I don't see Gainey moving any of the key cogs in the engine that is the Montreal Canadiens. A guy like Ryder (who I hear Bob Gainey is a big fan of... still) might go, maybe a depth player like Dandenault, Smokes, or Kostopoulos. Other than that I don't see much movement regarding the current lineup.

Rather, I see picks and or prospects (I don't know who the scouting staff & Gainey consider untouchable) moved for the best guy Gainey can get with them.

We have more assets in Hamilton of the same caliber than we can use. Either some of those assets wait and sit in Hamilton for longer than they should or we move some of them. Either this deadline or in the summer.

The other scenario is that the Habs let the majority of our current vets go (at their ufa time) without replacing most of them with other vets. I think that includes Koivu and Kovalev. I'm not saying that is what should be done.

There is clearly a bit of a talent log jam on this team.

Gainey rocks part 2 :lol: It wouldn't surprise me if he moves our 1st in a trade now and in the off season he dumps asset(s) that the org has identified as questionable and get back a 1st rounder in the return.

Wouldn't be suprised at all.

True, that wouldn't surprise me either. It would be an amazing move by Bob if he could pull something like this off!

Tanguay is a winger who could help Saku and Higgins, whereas Jokinen is a centre and would cause some sh.it in the dressing room with Saku.

You think Jokinen would cause Shit with Koivu are you kidding me?