Alouettes News 2004

Habs77

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone hear Marty York's CFL picks? He picks the Argo's to finish 1st in the east, and the Als 2nd.

What a joke. If anything, the Als are better then they've been in the past few years, and should easily win the division with a great record.

It doesnt surprise me that York would pick the Argo's to finish first, he's a total Argo's homer, last year he picked them to beat the Als in the playoffs.

York had them 1st last year too... which was pretty funny.

This year he has more of a case IMO, because TO now has the best RB in Avery, best punt return man in Levingston, best punter/kicker in Prefontaine, a very solid D, a promising crop of receivers, and that old fox Damen Allen who always gives the Als fits.

That's a pretty potent combination... one that will give the Als all they can handle, even if I think the Als will prevail in the end.

At least the regular season will finally mean something as #1 spot is not assured from day 1.

Ottawa will also be competitive... only Hamilton do I expect to really struggle once again, although they should win more than 1 this year.

In the West, with Greene out the netter Burris has the door wide open to take over again... and the Riders will be tough to beat if he finds his touch again.

Edmonton without Ricky Ray are still solid, but quite as scary.

BC has the best QB so they're always dangerous, Winnipeg is on the way down, Calgary will be awful.

Montreal-Sask in the Finals IMO.

[Edited on 16-6-04 by Habs77]

I think it will be better for the Als that they have some real competition. The last few years they "slacked off" in mid-season because they had the division sewn up early.

It should also be a bit more exciting for the fans. I got bored mid-season last year when we had already wrapped up the division and had nothing to play for.

Toronto looked pretty good yesterday in beating the Riders, although it might have been different if a healthy Burris was able to step in when Greene went down. That one Cahoon-style catch was awesome.

1st Als game of the season... And we've jumped out to a 14-0 lead over the Esks (14-2 at the end of 1st QRT) ... All of our 14 points came from our D, while our offense is doing nothing so far...

East is really strong this year... All EAST teams have won their games this week, and the Als are leading in theirs.

The defence was amazing... Stewart player of the game with two forced turnovers (while rushing only 3 no less)and an interception returned for a TD.

Then you have newcomer Malveaux coming on the blitz and making Maas feel the pain on a few occasions.

2004 3rd round pick WR O'Neil Wilson looked impressive, as was fellow rookie Curry on defense who had the tough assignment of covering Ed Hervey most of the night.

The running game is in good hands with the potent Lapointe & Denson.

All that's left is for the passing game to get going, and Matt Kellet needs to work on angling out his punts inside the 10 yard line... twice he kicked it into the endzone.

Pretty good night... score one for the East with the clean sweep in week one.

Wow, we completely dismantled the defending grey cup champions and Calvillo was pretty much a non-factor! (except for his sweet block :clap::clap::clap:

Running game looked real good on the opportunities they were given. A quick start seems to be a given for this team, can't wait for the next game

[Edited on 20/6/04 by Quebecois]

I was quite impressed with the overall team game last night, both the D and the O. Sure, Calvillo wasn't at his best, but that's to be expected in the first couple of games. And he did throw 2 TD's...

Copeland/Cahoon were half-decent, but I thought our best receiver was Cavil, he was the most active, and made the top 2 catches in my opinion. What I'm wondering is where is Jacquez Green? He's supposed to be one of our WR's, not Wilson, although he's not too shabby himself. I've already forgotten about Whitaker (who was cut) after watching Denson run, he could be a very underrated part of this offense.

On defence, pretty much stellar as always. I was hoping Sanchez could have been more noticeable, but he didn't get burned, so that's a positive in itself. Malveaux appears to be a great pickup on the defensive end, especially on the blitz. Stewart was our best overall defensively, not only because of that easy pick, but he was noticeable everywhere else during the game. Also, notice the number change, to #9? This was done so that he could become part of the offense (receiving corps) if necessary.

On the special teams, Kellett wasn't the best at punting, remember that 15-yarder? Oy! But, he didn't kill us, so that's a plus. Watkins returning punts appears to be a nice decision, he's very fast, but had no room last night to show it, he'll be OK replacing Stokes. A way better option than Dante Green.

Overall, it's nice to see them get swift revenge, but we all know this team's capable of much better. I can't wait for the next Als' televised game (no way I'm listening to more CJAD)!

Is anyone else surprised that the Stamps played as well as they did yesterday in beating the Riders? I thought the Stamps and Dunnigan would be 0-18 this year... They made me look bad :nono:

I realize the Riders are forced to use their 3rd string QB, but thats no excuse for the rest of their team not showing up...

Originally posted by puck7x

Is anyone else surprised that the Stamps played as well as they did yesterday in beating the Riders? I thought the Stamps and Dunnigan would be 0-18 this year... They made me look bad :nono:

I realize the Riders are forced to use their 3rd string QB, but thats no excuse for the rest of their team not showing up...

Remember that the teams who have to play 2 games in the same week almost always lose that 2nd game... then add the fact they had to rely on their 3rd string QB who has thrown 6 INTs in 2 games, and suddenly Calgary's win isn't all that surprising.

When the Als play the Stamps this week, we'll get a better assessment of where Calgary stands.

I do know that Crandell has had big games against us in the past... but Malveaux & Sanchez know him well so I expect the D to make things happen once again.

And Kellett better wake the hell up with his punts.

P.S. Someone mentionned Jacquez Green, he left camp early on... no longer with the team.

Als win again... 32-14, our defense won us the game again. AC was average again (He did get 400 yards, but 2 INT's) . Copeland left after the 1st QRT with a hamstring pull, he should be fine for next week.

Oskee Wee Weee

:clap:

Al's should still win the cup though.

I'll be there tonight so the Als better take it to the Argos as i know they will. Copeland will sit out with his hamstring injury but the offense should still have no difficulty moving the ball on the Argos D.

GO ALS GO

Als win again. 19-9 over the argos in one of the ugliest offensive performances I've ever seen from the Als, (Even though Cahoon had an awesome game, 10 catches 180+ yards or so) ... Really ugly game to watch, if not for Ezra Landry's (He's 5'2 :o and FAST as hell) missed field-goal return for a TD (110 yards) we might not have won....

Another 3-0 start for the Als, how many straight years have we done this now? 5? lol .... ho-hum...

wow a horribly sloppy game on the offensive side of the ball for both teams, but give the Ds credit aswell. The Argos came through with several sacks and were pressuring Calvillo all night. Cahoon played awesome, Calvillo did not.

Als D has still scored more TDs than what they've given up, incredible.

Our O has yet to impress me this season, but i expect that to change as Calvillo gets his timing back and Copeland gets healthy again.

Landry did look pretty impressive, a couple of decent returns (he had enough chances, i think the Argos punted 15 times!) and of course the missed FG return TD. He might be a keeper.

Calvillo sucks... that's what it comes down to.

He has sucked in every important game, only piling up stats against weak defences... it's pathetic.

Ok so the his receivers besides Cahoon didn't help.

But the key is that best QBs in the league can buy themselves time by running, something Calvillo can barely do.

Joseph is the best in the league right now, Dickenson when healthy can pick apart any defence, his backup Printers is a star in the making, and Burris a star who has returned.

Calvillo is in the middle of the pack of CFL QBs.

Thank god we got D, and what a time to bring in Ezra "mimi me" Landry... he basically turned the game around at that point. Matthews has called him the next Pinball... and that he's here to stay.

The offense sure wasn't going to do it, we knew that much.

I expect us to lose next week if Calvillo can't wake the hell up.

Cavillo does not suck. The Alouettes offense sucks and it will soon catch up to the defense and the team will be dominant. Imagine, if the Als can win when the offense sucks that bad what will they be like when the offense is good.

Also I had to laugh about the Esks stealing a player from Calgary's ! practise roster after screaming about the Als taking Landry.... Another great move by Popp I might add. Ottawa will provide an interesting test. I'm really looking forward to the game

Now that was more like it. Calvillo and the entire offence had their first good game of the season, still minus Copeland, and the Als romped over the hyped Ottawa Renegades. I was pretty tired of all the talk the gades were getting and we certainly shut them up in a big way.

4 TDs for Denson, Thyrone Anderson looked great (awesome move on the first 87 yard catch and run) and Anwar Stewart had yet another interception for his third on the season. Could a D-lineman lead the league in picks? Well probably not but its amazing what hes done so far, he has great hands and i personally think he has been our MVP on defense to this point.

Wow! This was a great game, for what i could see on TV. Calvillo was great to watch, and I was pretty surprise to see the Denson guy get the ball play after play. If I'm right, we were used to more throwing plays in the past. Good to see we got players who can run well with the ball. Pretty nice to see Denson move.

As I said, if the offense matches the defense the Al's will dominate. Notice that the special teams tacklers were also dominant. My only concern is the the Als maintain this intensity level for the entire season. It is important for the Alouettes to finish strong and to go into the playoffs on a high note.

I was at the game, my first time ever attending an Als game, I had crummy seats! The west endzone, man! They were squezze people into the seats in that stadium, I could barely move, I had no room to my sides, and no room for my legs in front of me, plus a pair of legs smacking me in my back (at least the pair belonged to a hot girl) , I'm not even that tall (6'0) , I can only imagine how uncomfortable the seating is for someone who is 6'4....

As for the game, I'm glad the offense finally woke up! Denson had a hell of a game, 4 TD's.... AC could still stand to improve his game, the Als will only get better.