Alouettes News 2004

Habs77

I really don't think you can blame the D for this one.

They were facing an explosive offense and the hotest QB in the league. Ten of the points given up were on Stokes and a bad penalty call or we'd have a 7pt lead going into halftime.

And then in the 2nd half they did a great job of holding EDM off as long as they did... we couldn't expect a shutout for the whole half.

The offense was the real problem, 1pt in the whole 2nd half is just a damn joke.

P.S. And about the 2 new DBs being the difference:

- First of all the other two got burned all year long so it wouldn't have changed a thing.

- Second, Evans was hurt and could not play anyway... so DJ Johnson, the one who made the most mistakes, had to play.

- The reason Shaw was kept out is because his specialty is zone coverage and Matthews planned to go man-to-man all night. That's what he said after the game.

Our cornerbacks were suspect all year long, especially in the 2nd half of the year. The Als should have addressed that need before the end of the season.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think he'll be back, really hope so anyway.

It would hurt us not only because he's just awesome, but he's considered Canadian content and that makes him that much more valuable.

Same goes for Belli who might also end up leaving.

As for imports, seems like Robert Brown is headed West, Copeland is trying another return to the NHL, Miles keeps saying he expects to be traded since last year, .... thanks god we have Popp the master rebuilder.

But it's easier to replace the imports, the Canadians have to stay or it'll cost us.

Hopefully that RB we signed after the season is as good as they say... that'll help.

Evans and Stokes were dealt today.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=69719

Als get a 3rd and 2nd round pick in the 2004 and 2005 draft respectively and the rights to negotiate with one player from the Bombers negotiation list for Stokes.

In return from Evans we get Kelly Malveaux of the Stamps.

I don't know much about Malveaux but he helped the Stamps to the Grey Cup and Popp says he can player corner or halfback.

Yeah I'm a little sketchy on Malveaux, can't clearly remember him... but for some reason I remember him having long threads coming out the back of his helmet... I might be mistaken.

I remember liking what I saw from him.

Anyway he's a little info on the guy:

Height 5'9"

Weight 185 lbs

College Arizona

Hometown Bellflower, California

Birthdate 11/05/76

CFL Exp 4 seasons

Omar Evans who we trade for him was also born in '76 btw... only Evans is more comfortable playing zone, and with our agressive defence our DB's our almost alway man-to-man and he wasn't that great in that type of defence... to the point he was benched for the Final.

Good return for somebody we didn't want back anyway.

He's also a big-time player:

Highlights:

2002 finished the season with 41 defensive tackles, led the team in interceptions with 3, recorded 9 pass knockdowns tying Austin and Bray

2001 In the West Final win over the Eskimos he picked off two passes recording two defensive tackles and one pass knockdown

In the 2001 Grey Cup win he recorded 5 defensive tackles and 3 pass knockdowns leading the team in both categories.

As for the other trade, Stokes was dropping a lot of balls... in the return game and at receiver. He also had an annoying habit of losing yardage trying to make the big play. Plus he is going to be asking for big bucks going forward, and I think Popp decided the money could be better spent elsewhere... as we try to re-sign Cahoon among others.

We get better draft picks, plus I'd like to know who we got off their negotiating list... if Popp asked for him it's because he thinks we can sign him at some point.

We have enough receivers, I think Copeland & Cahoon will return, and as for the return game we still have Donte Green don't we?..

He was doing great until Stokes returned... then we never saw him again.

I'm a little worried about losing both Brown & Belli on defence... but then again Popp always has a nack for replacing whoever we lose.

Can't wait for next season.

I completely forgot about Green until a couple weeks ago, couldn't even remember his name but he was unbelievable in the beginning of the season and then Stokes came back and he was completely forgotten, kind of sucks for him but hopefully he will get his chance next season.

Stokes act ran dry with him, and the Grey Cup was perfect evidence of that. He's a great return man but he just screws up on basic aspects of the game, and im sure that Matthews just couldn't accept it any longer.

I like the other deal too, because losing Evans won't be too costly, he didn't even play in the biggest game of the year so that shows how important he was to our team. Anything that Malveaux provides is a bonus imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news!!! Als re-sign Cahoon...

Sure we could of replaced his talent (Popp is excellent at finding guys) , but we wouldnt be able to replace his veteren leadership , his heart , and his popularity ... He's probably my favourite player , if I had to choose one.

http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?site=r...on&sport=#95865

Dammit, I'm really out of loop these days... I used to get a lot of the scoops now I'm always beaten to the punch by an hour.

Ah well.

The Cahoon signing could not be more important, not only is he our go-to guy... but he's Canadian so he's worth his weight in gold.

Not to mention the chemistry he has already developped with Calvillo... good to have that continuity, it's the key to success.

Word is Copeland will most probably not stick on the NFL, and he had said it would be his last try... hopefully we can lock him up to an extension. He still has his option year left for this year.

Now if they can tinker with the D a little, we're looking good for another trip to the Grey Cup.

[Edited on 8-2-04 by Habs77]

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad for Belli, but as with Woodcock it about him returning to his home town... it's hard to fight that.

Flory is the next one, with a similar decision.

He was apparently set to sign with us, but now the former president of the Sask. Roughriders has offered him a job in his company after Flory retires from football... if he signs with Sask. of course.

The fact he's even hesitating bewteen MTL and his home town, where his wife & his small child are, and now his post CFL-career job is assured... tells you the guy really wanted to stay here.

Don't know if I would if I were him, actually I'd take the Sask. offer no question.

Losing Woodcock, Belli, & Flory... 3 Canadians who are excellent at their position... will hurt us no doubt.

Originally posted by Habs77

http://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article.jsp?co...226_143306_2488

YES!... he's exactly the type of superb man-to-man cornerback we need with Matthews' high rish defense.

And he's Canadian.

I don't know who the players we gave up are, probably non-starters.

Great great news!

We've got a pretty nice back field now... Sanchez was always one of my favourites

I wonder who we gave up...

We gave up wide receiver Andrew Noel (Acadia), linebacker Joe Bonaventura (Saint Mary's), another Canadian player, a second draft pick and cash.

Not too much for the top cornerback in the league...I like this deal!

Here's a little blurb from TSN:

Sanchez, who underwent shoulder surgery earlier this month to repair a partially torn rotator cuff, was slated to make $200,000 this season, the most of any cornerback in the league. Clouding matters was the fact that he was entering the option year of his contract and since he was injured while playing for Calgary, the team would not be able to release him and would have to pay him while undergoes rehabilitation.

Full article: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=73908

Popp is very very tight with Sanchez... the only reason he didn't sign here when he came back from the NHL was that Calgary was offering the moon and even Popp had to tell Sanchez he'd be crazy to pass that deal up.

I expect him to sign an extension... I like how backfield a whole lot better now, although I don't know if the constantly unhappy Miles will still be here.

Would be a shame cuz he's very good, not only as a corner but also to block punts.

This really has been a great off-season for the Als. We lost Belli and Woodcock, but we barely had Woodcock last year anyway. We got the best 2 WRs in the league (arguably) and the best QB in the league (arguably). Should be another great year.

Originally posted by Quebecois

This really has been a great off-season for the Als. We lost Belli and Woodcock, but we barely had Woodcock last year anyway.

Don't forget Belli missed a good chunk of the season with his concussion problems... so both he and Woodcock missed significant time last year.

It's just too bad we traded Gibson away in mid-season last year... he's exactly what we'd need to replace Belli now, and he was Canadian.

There's still the Flory issue, which will be a big deal wherever he chooses to go.

We're starting to get thin on the O line, and guys like Fort & Okeke are getting old.

• 2 months later...

Any word on what's up with Scott Flory?

Does anyone know a good site for Al's information because the Gazette is driving me mad?

Any chance that HB could or would give the AL's a separate forum of their own?

PMac

GO ALS GO

• 4 weeks later...

The Als offseason has been an eventful one so far. Here is a summary of the key changes thus far:

IN: CB Davis Sanchez, DB Kelly Malveaux, RB Darren Davis, WR Jacquez Green, OG Scott Flory

OUT: WR Keith Stokes, DB Omar Evans, DT Adriano Belli, LB Mat Petz, CB Wayne Shaw, WR Pat Woodcock

All in all, not too shabby, Green is a former NFL'er and will be fine replacing Stokes, while Sanchez is the top CB in the CFL. Malveaux is a slight upgrade over Evans in my opinion as well. Go Als Go!

Originally posted by dlbalr

The Als offseason has been an eventful one so far. Here is a summary of the key changes thus far:

IN: CB Davis Sanchez, DB Kelly Malveaux, RB Darren Davis, WR Jacquez Green, OG Scott Flory

OUT: WR Keith Stokes, DB Omar Evans, DT Adriano Belli, LB Mat Petz, CB Wayne Shaw, WR Pat Woodcock

All in all, not too shabby, Green is a former NFL'er and will be fine replacing Stokes, while Sanchez is the top CB in the CFL. Malveaux is a slight upgrade over Evans in my opinion as well. Go Als Go!

I agree, very nice additions. I look forward to this season. The team is strong, and I expect nothing less then a grey cup.

It sucked having to pay a 1st rounder for our OWN player though (Flory) . That whole situation should of never happened, I blame the Riders for not telling Flory the plans they had for him (allignment) and I blame Flory for not asking the Riders the same thing...

1st rounder ... geez... Although CFL draft picks arent as valuable as other leagues.

The best part of the off-season is the completely revamped secondary... it was so ugly last year it cost us the Cup as Mathews was forced to sit both Omar Evans and Wayne Shaw.

I couldn't stand to watch either get beat one more time... they had to go, they both suck.

With Sanchez back, and Malveaux a major upgrade on Evans as well, we can get back to being aggresive on D without getting burned in the secondary every time.

- I won't miss Stokes' fumbles, we have Greene who should be returning contrary to reports he had left the team this week.... and even if he goes we have a ton of good new receivers who can also return kicks like Jacquez Green.

- Getting Flory back was huge, that will help the offense not miss a step.

- Woodcock didn't even play with us most of last year anyway... so in that sense it's not really a loss.

- Losing Belli hurts, but they operated in a rotation... so it's easier to ease in a replacement than at other positions.

- The only question is who will our RB be, Lapointe is simple hurt all the time, and Withaker is not a #1 RB.

The Canadian ratio is where we suffered the most, Woodcock/Belli leaving, but at least we retained Cahoon/Flory so we linited the damage.

I'll be curious to see if Matthews goes with Miles over Loftus at safety... Miles is better in coverage but Loftus is the bigger hitter and better against the run.

Miles also has complained about Matthews and has hinted he wanted to be traded multiple times over the last few years.

We should be very strong again, but this year I expect a tougher opposition from Toronto & Ottawa... this regular season should be more interesting IMO.