The Official 2008 Trade Deadline Thread

Captain_Stealth

Look, Pittsburgh paid an awful lot for a player they may not be able to sign. If 2 young NHLers, 1 prospect, and a 1st rounder is what was necessary, why would Gainey make that trade? Higgins, Latendresse, Emelin and our 08 1st for a guy who may demand 8 million a year and go wherever the bidding is highest? Please let's be reasonable. Pittsburgh is obviously putting everything on winning this year, and it is an extremely poor decision.

As for Huet, I'm not sure what the rational was but I'm sure Halak's great play impacted on that decision. Plus am I the only one that felt there was unhappiness in Huet with the constant Price love?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

WE GOT BRAD ######ING RICHARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in bob we trust? :popcorn:

I don't trust...

We gave up our veteran goaltender for a bag of pucks, and we have all our hopes riding on a 20 year-old who's lost as many as he won.

We have one solid line right now, and instead of getting an impact player...we have all our hopes riding on Sucko The Useless Little Bastard, Higgins, and Ryder someohow getting their heads out of their asses and playing the way they did last season. How likely is that after they've stunk it up for 63 games???

God, sometimes the negativity in Habs fans is so annoying. I am confident in the Price/Halak. No, it wasn't the greatest trade deadline day, but I'm glad I'm not a Pitts fan. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to sign him for free in June?

Oh, and sbhatt, Koivu has 4 points in his last 4 games. I don't think the haters will be satisfied with him unless he scores a double hat trick. Also, Ryder has 5 in his last 4, including 4 goals.

Edited by ForumGhost

Waste of assets. They won't win the cup this year, Hossa will probably sign elsewhere and they will be left wondering what hit them. Very poor management of resources.

Glad we didn't top that offer, as it was too much as is. :D

No guys, Stealth has become a Stars fan. You should see him on YIM.

Good day for the Avs, we upgrade a healthy scratch and add Foote for nothing. I hope Footer can make it to Calgary in time for the game. He's still got 4.5 hours.

Oh, and sbhatt, Koivu has 4 points in his last 4 games. I don't think the haters will be satisfied with him unless he scores a double hat trick. Also, Ryder has 5 in his last 4, including 4 goals.

I won't feel 'safe' depending on these guys until they show they can sustain it for any sort of prolonged period. It's been a good game here, good game there...with a lot of crap in between for these guys all season.

I seriously doubt Vancouver ever had a chance.

That's actually bulshit. Nonis was very much into this. We probably had the BEST offer on the table. Want to know why we lost out? We lost out because Feaster wanted players who could step in now. Mike Smith is no upgrade in net. They could have gotten some young solid players to build there team for the future but they did that?!?!?!? They aren't making the playoffs so what's the point. Vancouver had a chance, but where you are right is we didn't have a chance because they wanted roster players. Bourdon was a roster player though albeit still very young.

My take on this deadline? MEH....... I was set up for a major letdown but Nonis and Gainey are so freaking similar like I've said bazillions of times that after today, you can agree with me.:P

The Raymond-Shannon-Cooke line really started to pick things up and become a 2nd line for us. So we trade Cooke for Pettinger? This is a solid trade. Cooke's an annoying turtling bastard. Pettinger fits the mold of this team a lot better and is a more skilled player. Pyatt will now play with Raymond and Shannon and make that line better as well as Pettinger with Kesler and Burrows. Pettinger could turn out to be a solid aquisition for us.

Daniel - Henrik - Nazzy

Raymond - Shannon - Pyatt

Burrows - Kesler - Pettinger

Isbister - Ritchie - Linden

Cowan - Brown

Mitchell - Bieksa

Ohlund - Edler

Salo - Bourdon

Weaver - Miller

McIver

Luongo

Sanford

What needs to be remembered is we have aquired a top 6 forward. Brenden Morrison will be back in a few weeks and a healthy B-Mo is a player that really can help the offense. We'll be fine in the long run.

What the fock was that?! Dissaster!

We lost one of the best players for a second round pick?!?!

Hossa was to expensive, but Washington got Fedorov for Ted Ruth!!!

Washington has really got a better team today. Cooke, Fedorov and Huet.

What the fock was that?! Dissaster!

We lost one of the best players for a second round pick?!?!

Hossa was to expensive, but Washington got Fedorov for Ted Ruth!!!

Washington has really got a better team today. Cooke, Fedorov and Huet.

You guys are going to LOVE Cooke. :lol:

As much as lots of me was hoping BG got Hossa, and it sounded pretty likely, the price Pittsburgh paid for a rental seemed pretty high.

Thinkin about it i'm glad BG didn't part with 1st rounder, maybe Emelin, and two roster guys like Higgins and Ryder or who knows who Atlanta was asking for.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones not made.

A little sad to see Huet go, but got a 2nd rounder and I have no problem giving the reigns to Price and bringing up Halak. If there was no intention to resign Huet, the Habs might as well get Price some playoff experience. Lots of fans will see this as a move backwards, but let the youngsters mature and who know how well Price might play.

Have to say i trust BG.

I'm officially decided. I love this deadline. If we STIFLE Dallas, then we'll have the last laugh.

BRING ON THE AVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entering Avalanche roster at the deadline:

Peter Forsberg

Adam Foote

Paul Stastny

Ryan Smyth

Joe Sakic

Ruslan Salei

Leaving Avalanche roster at the deadline:

Karlis Skrastins

Thats just beautiful. Brings a tear to my eye.

Yup, I agree. Avs have just made the team much better and more experienced. Joe Sakic knows how to win cups and Foppa comes back makes this team much stronger.

I am surprised Vancouver traded Cooke as he is one character I really liked him on that team. (One day I hope Vancouver can win a cup as they are a good organization) I think they got much weaker though with their trade; but I am sure the Stealth one will swear at me and post another long winded barrage at me. :lol::hockey:

Dallas is going to be one bad@ss team now and the Sharks are going to have a huge bite with their new great defenceman.

Detroit will choke.

Yup, I agree. Avs have just made the team much better and more experienced. Joe Sakic knows how to win cups and Foppa comes back makes this team much stronger.

I am surprised Vancouver traded Cooke as he is one character I really liked him on that team. (One day I hope Vancouver can win a cup as they are a good organization) I think they got much weaker though with their trade; but I am sure the Stealth one will swear at me and post another long winded barrage at me. :lol::hockey:

Dallas is going to be one bad@ss team now and the Sharks are going to have a huge bite with their new great defenceman.

Detroit will choke.

Nah don't worry. I was pissed off and taking it out on everyone. I'm sorry. ;)

Nonis in our presser basically said Feaster is an idiot saying our offer was significantly better. There it is...straight from his mouth. Feaster's an idiot. He said it indirectly though. Haha.

Now on the Cooke thing. Cooke is a player who uses turtling to PISS OFF opponents. By NOT fighting, the opposing team can't finish buisness with him because if he fought, then no one would care. By not fighting it makes the other team mad because there's nothing they can do about it. This is what Cooker said himself a week ago. :lol:

What's happened is he's not producing enough in our system and while he can hit and be a super pest, we have too many players like him. Apparently he was falling out with AV and by listening to his interview, he seemed happy with the trade. With the emergence of Burrows and Kesler who both have been downright SOLID and you take into account that we still have guys like Ritchie, Cowan, Isbister, Brown and now Rypien around, he's become easily expendable.

The one thing all those guys can do is fight and bring toughness to the lineup. Cooke was a UFA making 1.5 mill and it looked as if he was going to walk this summer in favour of the Nucks signing someone more offensive so the Canucks got something for nothing basically like the Habs did with Huet. Pettinger himself can stick up for himself and teammates and has a lot more skill overall. He's a hometown boy who seems snake bitten this year and coming home to a team like Vancouver where he's going to get ice time in offensive and defensive roles is going to be a good place to find his game. The Canucks are looking at this situation like Taylor Pyatt, who is really starting to blossom into a solid PF for us. They see some untapped offensive potential and are hoping to re-kindle that potential and get a steal.

From the post above, I mentioned that Cooke was playing with Ryan Shannon and Mason Raymond, both of which seem to be gaining confidence and are fast skilled players which is a blessing for us because we lack the offense. Taylor Pyatt being moved up to play on that line is going to make that line better overall as it puts Pyatt back into an offensive role. Pettinger is probably just as fast and bigger than Cooke. I'll stop rambling here as I'm sure you get the picture.

We didn't get Brad Richards today but for not taking a big risk on that, we've at least saved ourselves from what could have been a HUGE financial headache in the coming years and it allows us to build this team in a more safer manner this offseason. For now, just like the Habs organization, we didn't sell the farm and retained all our young assets like Luc Bourdon and company. I suppose it would've been nice if we got Richards but all that matters in the end is that the organization is in better shape now than this morning. ^_^

P.S. : I'm certain the rest of the NHL is going to see a whole lot more of Raymond in the coming years. He's one talented kid just beginning to find some confidence. Best offensive forward this team has drafted since the Sedins. Hopefully Grabner follows suit.

Detroit will choke.

yikes that's some pressure, avs nation.

You got to stop it man. The Avs just brought it some solid veteran leadership in Foote and Foppa back to the organization. You mix that with a true leader in Sakic as well as guys like Smyth and Lappy and that team has some serious leadership. Sure with the additions they've made there's going to be pressure. There's pressure on every team. However, saying Colorado is going to choke(anything's possible) is ridiculous.

Any guesses on how many shifts Forsberg will last? ;)

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Keep quiet or jets will never let us hear the end of it. ;)

First off, forget that nation crap. If I see Leaf nation ever on this board I am going to do something nasty on the floor that rymes with NUKE. I believe this started with Raidernation and everyone else copied. (Correct me if I am wrong here)

Secondly, The AVS are not in the playoffs yet so that is stage 1. Second stage is to get all the guys back. Third is to get the chemistry together which is not a given. On paper this is a strong team but so is Detroit and right now they stink.

Yes Colorado is better, but so are many other teams in the West. And some teams in the west are better for not making dumbdumb moves to wreck their pro team.

Veteran players like the AVS that have won cups recently know how to handle the pressure....