2 young goalie prospects: PRICE....HALAK

HabsWEST

Remember, our GM doesn't get swept up in the mindless frenzies that consume lesser mortals at these key times. (Which is why so many people were pissed at him last year).

Exactly! I don't think Bob will make a deal. The other teams will ask too much for these unrestricted free agents, and I seriously believe that the Habs are more than one player aways from the Cup. They won,t win the cup this year...even if Bob were to get Hossa.

The goalie situation is really starting to worry me. Maybe Price needs to finish the season in Hamilton. Call up Halak, he is our best goalie right now!

I wasn't sure since my wife was making me flip channels, but was Mats Naslund there. The guy I saw looked just like his old self.....did not age a bit.

Yup, He was there. So was Nilan, Skrudland, Deblois, Momesso, Jean Perron and a few others. Too bad the guys fu.cked up the evening by not playing hard.

Halak is once again proving he is a top goalie in the league.

I guess Leafs TV were raving about him.

He was solid yesterday, I think the Marlies only had about 14 shots but he stopped an early shorthanded breakaway in a scoreless game

that could have changed the momentum.

He was solid yesterday, I think the Marlies only had about 14 shots but he stopped an early shorthanded breakaway in a scoreless game

that could have changed the momentum.

He should have played that superbowl sunday game.

I want to see what he can do in the Bell Centre he is still 7-0 thats pretty damn good.

Smoke needs to be benched permanently. We indeed should recall Chipchura to take the spot where Smoke has simply floated around the ice doing little to nothing.

We must also remember that Price and Chipchura are roomies in Montreal and that in itself may have an indirect effect on Price's mental preparedness/relaxation.

I am of the camp that we should trade Huet now and take a gamble on a Price/Halak tandem. It's not that Huet is a bad goalie - I just believe that he does not have an intuitive sense of the net as evidenced in great goalies. If we look at the past, Huet will most likely remain a decent goalie with mid-season decline in play due to fatigue and a very suspect ability to rise up in the most important games. Consider what occurred last year in our last game against the Maple Leafs - while the majority of the goals were screens/tips/flukes, it nevertheless seemed very much like the Gods are not with him. We should have won that game handily.

Now the argument is that Price right now is inconsistent. But so is Huet. And Halak has not been given a fair shot at the big game. Halak in my opinion has the intangibles that could make him a fan favourite superstar a la Hasek. Halak competing against Price for the #1 job could also be an unlifting competition in comparison to the increasingly unhealthy rotation of Price/Huet that is currently ongoing.

Price and Huet both seem nervous with this philosophy of changing goalies upon losing. If a goalie needs to be loose to play well, this is absolutely the worst thing to do. Especially in Montreal where a goalie goes from hero to dog in about 2 minutes, a coach needs to allow a goalie to remeed himself as soon as possible to maintain confidence.

Finally, I have been on the fence about the goalie coaching of Melanson. I do agree that it is a good idea to have a goalie coach, but one that knows what to say and how to augment a goalie's technical performance without detriment to that goalie's style. Watch Price's style in recent games and compare it to earlier in the season and in the Junior World's. His style seems to have changed. In fact, when I turn on the game after it has started, sometimes I can't identify whether it is Huet or Price in the net!

I don't mind if a goalie can't stop a puck if I believe that no other goalie could have stopped said puck in said situation. But there are so many goals lately that seem stoppable "if only". If only he came out higher and challenged that slapshot. If only he tried looking through the screen. If only he could be more intuitive to see how the play was developing. Now Melanson was said to have gone to Hamilton to coach Price on "seeing the puck" better. What exactly does this mean? And is whaatever Melanson coaching him actually helping him? He seems further in the net and really using a lot of energy at the wrong time. Price should go back to whatever he was doing before (perhaps fatherly goalie advice?).

Earlier in the season, Price was coming out of the net more, playing the puck. He seems to limit that activity now. Did they tell him not to do it? Because in my mind, a young Patrick Roy, a young Cam Ward, A young Ken Dryden, they were all successful because they were playing their way with confidence and fun. Price LIKES playing the puck. They should encourage it even if an odd strange goal results.

Finally, there is one thing I dislike about both Price and Huet. It's the pose as the goal is occuring. The statue as I like to call it. You guys must have seen the recent Brodeur highlight where he swats the puck in the air to prevent a goal. Or the many classic Hasek moves of desperation that stop a puck. I want that intensity. People say Price tries to stay even emotionally. If that means not to lose confidence that is great, but I don't think he is being successful at that. Roy got emotional - not losing self-confidence but getting angry, pumping himself up and that self-pumping is what suggested he would be one of the greatest money goalies ever.

I'm simply unhappy with the goalie situation and I hope we change it up a bit and people play like how we know they can.

-John

No offense Platypus, i agree with you on everything accept "it was Huet's fault" in the Leafs Game. The Leafs dominated the habs from start to finish. They doubled them in shots i beleive and only poor leaf goaltending kept it close.

I think Hlak and Price will run the show next year.

Price starts again....Finally, away from this mentality you lose you sit, as already mentioned give a Goalie a chance to redeem themselves..

Now BRING HALAK UP!!!

Dont trade Halak, it appears that the TRADE FRONT is quite, but tomorrow there will be action...and the cost will be high given all indications..

DONT TRADE HALAK, but if you have to TRADE HUET

TRADE the FA:

Huet

Ryder

Streit

Make room for cap space...

Hossa will be expensive, let Ottawa have him, with their loss of 5 to 0 to Toronto, they need more than just Hossa..

Stay the course Mr. Gainey..Dont give up your future for rent a player..

Worst case SUNDIN will be available at FA...I am sure others are out there for FREE!!!

GOOD LUCK all Montreal fans in Hoping HABS dont forego the FUTURE!!

Edited by HabsWEST

Worst nightmare for Montreal, They make a trade for Hossa, then Montreal Loses HOSSA to Free agency in summer...

Could you imagine losing a guy like Chipchura, Grabvosky, Halak, and a roster player like Higgins for a 2 month Rental, WOW...

After being a Montreal Fan all my life and still a loyal Montreal Fan after moving out west, ( ROY TRADE was bad enough) but this would top that...

I know Gainey wouldn't risk it all to expose the team... COULD YOU IMAGINE in 4 years we all crying we need a player like Higgins or Chipchura, or if Price doesnt fulfill his lofty expectations and Halak becomes another Vokoun...Halak is the wild card that adds depth and insurance to Montreal's future goaltending. Not Huet.

SOMETIMES BEST DEALS YOU MAKE ARE THE ONES YOU DONT MAKE!!!

PLEASE BOB, dont do it!!! will regret it....

WELL DONE BOB GAINEY!!!!

AS MENTIONED ON MY EARLIER POST

---Dont give up what Pittsburgh gave up for a rental

---Dont give up on Halak for the sake of Huet, Halak is the wild card

As Bob mentioned in his press conference:

--- Could have received a lot more for Price or Halak ( assuming a first pic and something), the market values the assets accordingly

--- Gainey at the press conference also mentioned, Price and Halak, are probably the 2 top goalie prospects in the league.

--- They can challenge each other, odds are one of the 2 will dominate, one may falter, if not, as Bob mentioned a tandem arrangement can be made.

--- REMEMBER OILERS HAD 2 great young goalies: FUHR and MOOG, looked what happened with Oilers !!!

--- Gainey also confirmed last 3 weeks ( assuming performance of Huet recently) was a major decision in trading him. and a decision to not sign Huet, and not risk losing Halak.

---ALSO, a few million in CAP SPACE has just opened up, for another go at a FA signing , better luck this time,

Now that would be something, Getting Hossa as a FA, ( he wants 9 million....), then Gainey looks like a genius and Pittsburgh would be not looking soo smart ( unless they win the cup)

ALL AND ALL, well Done!!

Edited by HabsWEST

---ALSO, a few million in CAP SPACE has just opened up, for another go at a FA signing , better luck this time,

That's the problem....UFAs don't want to sign here. I'm sure the only reason Kovalev did was because he had a chance to come to Montreal beforehand via trade and experience what it's like to be a Habs. I can't see Hossa or any other wanting to come here this summer, unless we beat the next highest offer significantly to offset the shitty taxes.

Dryden & Larocque

Fuhr & Moog

Belfour & Hasek

Nabokov & Kipprusoff

Did you just say Laracque? Come on Kozed, He was brutal.

Check out the 1980 season when he was given the starting job and got outplayed by Denis Herron.

I agree on the other 3 whole heartedly.

That's the problem....UFAs don't want to sign here. I'm sure the only reason Kovalev did was because he had a chance to come to Montreal beforehand via trade and experience what it's like to be a Habs. I can't see Hossa or any other wanting to come here this summer, unless we beat the next highest offer significantly to offset the shitty taxes.

That's why you draft well and use that money to sign your RFAs when the time comes. Growth from within. Makes that 2nd pick seem worth more. Taxes? But we have "free" medical! Yeah right! Free? What's that?

Did you just say Laracque? Come on Kozed, He was brutal.

Check out the 1980 season when he was given the starting job and got outplayed by Denis Herron.

Almost all goalies from that era were brutal anyway! Except Billy Smith, Richard Brodeur and Mike Liut!

He should have played that superbowl sunday game.

I want to see what he can do in the Bell Centre he is still 7-0 thats pretty damn good.

All the focus in the media is PRICE, PRICE and more PRICE. I get it and I hope the kid comes through. After reading that Dryden story from the Gazzette, and all the home games he played because he was still going to school the year he won the cup, I can't help but feel Halak might be the one who shines this year. I'll bet he's a little more confident then Price right now. I hope his knee is o.k after taking that shot yesterday.