Huet to Wash for 2nd round pick

HabsWEST

Horribly deal, we gave basically gave him away for no reason. There is no way Price is ready to lead our team anywhere, Huet was great and will surely be missed. The last few games price played have been brutal, my guess is that halak will be the starter by the end of the year.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horribly deal, we gave basically gave him away for no reason. There is no way Price is ready to lead our team anywhere, Huet was great and will surely be missed. The last few games price played have been brutal, my guess is that halak will be the starter by the end of the year.

If he is then oh well Huet will take the Caps NO WHERE.

Nothing wrong with not overpaying for Hossa, and going with the young tandem of Price and Halak is ok by me. Let the youngers gain some experience in NHL pressure games.

As much as i liked Huet, he just wasn't the guy that was gonna lead the Habs to their next Cup. Wish him well, but at least got a 2nd rounder for him.

This trade boggles me. For 1 i dont understand why Huet was worth nothig. #2 i have no clue what so ever what Washington needs with an average goalie.

Thanks for the work Huet but not to lie I wont miss those mental breakdowns that you had.

This trade boggles me. For 1 i dont understand why Huet was worth nothig. #2 i have no clue what so ever what Washington needs with an average goalie.

Thanks for the work Huet but not to lie I wont miss those mental breakdowns that you had.

Look at Kolzig's stats this year and for much of the last 3 years. At 37 he is no longer an NHL starter caliber goalie imo.

Huet was UFA. Whst do people expect 5 first round draft picks for a career backup goalie?

He now has a chance to impress the CAPS to offer him large $$$$. I am pulling for him as I like Mr. Huet!

I would much prefer one of the habs division rivals to sign him.

Many of you are presuming that Gainey didn't try to deal Ryder as well...perhaps he did try to deal both his UFA's and couldn't find a taker for Ryder...

Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that he dealt Huet in the hopes of using this pick and more to acquire Hossa.

I also think he was comfortable with the risk of dealing Huet and letting Price/Halak be in net if a deal for Hossa couldn't happen(which it obviously didn't). No risk, no reward.

At the end of the day I'm glad we didn't do what Pittsburgh did and overpay to that magnitude. I don't think it would have broke the farm system but it would have dented it pretty badly. This organization has the depth and young talent to be good for a decade or more...no point in shortening that life span to just a few year run.

I'm actually okay with this...it may mean the Habs don't compete as well as we hoped this year BUT I think it will bode well for what we can sign in the off-season, another year experience for the youth, and go into next year with a really, really, good team.

I also believe that this team can still do some damage in the playoffs. I only see a small handful of goalies in the league that can carry a team on their back. Brodeur, Luongo and Kiprusoff...the rest need to get hot at the right time. Price has shown an ability to "get hot" at the right times...and I think Halak is a solid netminder already. All said, I'm okay with the two yoots(to quote Joe Pesci) in net.

Otherwise, the line-up is okay...defence is solid and the offense has been decent. Sure, adding an impact guy would have been nice if you could have dealt your UFA's and a couple picks or mid-tier prospects...but I can live with seeing how this plays out. Even with Hossa, AS A RENTAL, it would have been very tough to go up against Dallas, Anaheim, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Calgary, etc...certainly not worth giving up 3 roster players, a top prospect and/or pick.

Good for Huet - I wish him well. He wasn't going to be the starter in Montreal next year. He did a great job for the Habs, but Price is ready. Price is ready for the playoffs. Pressure is pressure - he handled it at the World Championships - he handled it in the Calder Cup - he'll do fine for the Habs in the playoffs.

I have no problem with a 2nd round pick for a unrestricted UFA at season's end. Sure, I would have loved a 1st round pick - but that just isn't/wasn't realistic.

In BOB I STILL trust!

:gohabsgo:

it was a shock for sure, a 2nd for an all-star goalie, oh well. it's the big picture again, like with the Ribeiro trade, are the Habs better with Price / Halak, seems Gainey believes so. And I am glad we didn't lose Lapierre + to get Hossa for two dozen games then lose him July 1. We can make an offer in the offseason if we still want him.

Many of you are presuming that Gainey didn't try to deal Ryder as well...perhaps he did try to deal both his UFA's and couldn't find a taker for Ryder...

Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that he dealt Huet in the hopes of using this pick and more to acquire Hossa.

I also think he was comfortable with the risk of dealing Huet and letting Price/Halak be in net if a deal for Hossa couldn't happen(which it obviously didn't). No risk, no reward.

At the end of the day I'm glad we didn't do what Pittsburgh did and overpay to that magnitude. I don't think it would have broke the farm system but it would have dented it pretty badly. This organization has the depth and young talent to be good for a decade or more...no point in shortening that life span to just a few year run.

I'm actually okay with this...it may mean the Habs don't compete as well as we hoped this year BUT I think it will bode well for what we can sign in the off-season, another year experience for the youth, and go into next year with a really, really, good team.

I also believe that this team can still do some damage in the playoffs. I only see a small handful of goalies in the league that can carry a team on their back. Brodeur, Luongo and Kiprusoff...the rest need to get hot at the right time. Price has shown an ability to "get hot" at the right times...and I think Halak is a solid netminder already. All said, I'm okay with the two yoots(to quote Joe Pesci) in net.

Otherwise, the line-up is okay...defence is solid and the offense has been decent. Sure, adding an impact guy would have been nice if you could have dealt your UFA's and a couple picks or mid-tier prospects...but I can live with seeing how this plays out. Even with Hossa, AS A RENTAL, it would have been very tough to go up against Dallas, Anaheim, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Calgary, etc...certainly not worth giving up 3 roster players, a top prospect and/or pick.

Agree with this post 100%. Gainey obviously had other irons in the fire and they didn't pan out. This is a good team with good chemistry. Who knows what can happen f Price gets possessed and the team starts playing consistently. I also am not only fine, but enthusiastic about the two yoots ^_^

I agree with the idea of trading Huet. I just wish we could have gotten more for him.

The best part of this is that Halak will get a chance.

How could they get more for him?

Well they could have 2 years ago when he was lights out.

No in his press conference he said he decided not to trade Ryder despite recieving offers, he felt it would be trading an underachiever for another one.

Gainey also said he will use cap space to attract UFA's. Easier said than done.

How could they get more for him?

Well they could have 2 years ago when he was lights out.

Even Hal Gill netted a 5th along with the 2nd. Probably could have gotten another mid-round pick, or mid-level prospect. At least 2009 is supposed to be a good draft year.

Bad trade.

We gave up a good goalie for zippo when we could have kept all three of them.

Now we are going with two guys with about 50 or so NHL games combined. As for Price being ready that is hope, not fact. I did not see Price win this job, he has been pretty average at best.

I just hope we didn't just toss Price to the wolves. If he struggles for a few weeks people will want him dumped too.

To me this is just another bad move for no good reason.

Glad he didn't make a big trade for a rental, but then he should have done nothing.

Even Hal Gill netted a 5th along with the 2nd. Probably could have gotten another mid-round pick, or mid-level prospect. At least 2009 is supposed to be a good draft year.

Hal Gill is a middle of the pack goalie?

Well then why were the Leafs not giving him a shot between the pipes.

You are comparing Celery and Apples.

Edited by JMMR

That and one more time, just for Neech, HAL GILL IS UNDER CONTACT NEXT SEASON...Huet is a UFA...BIG DIF!

A lot of comments about how Huet's experience helped, better now than Price, etc etc. Huet sucked for a month. Our win streak was down to Price. IMO, Price 'stepped it up' more than Huet, who crumbled when confronted by a 20-year old. Price showed bigger balls and a winning edge. Huet didn't show up.

Nice guy, will finish last with Washout. Everyone screaming bloody murder when Bob didn't give Briere the world...now everyone bemoaning the missed chance of Hossa..look at Philly and Briere; look what Pitts gave up for a rental. True, I though Huet might have got more, but even if they were shafted by Waddell, mgmt. had to know that they were comfortable making one move.

We tend to forget that players go beyond stats, that they depend more than anything on mental state. Higgins has been feeling the heat, not playing well...suddenly he is still with his boyhood team, first star. Price rocky, up-and-down, battling for a spot v. someone he looked up to...suddenly rock-solid against Atl. The confidence that our younger players might get from this - 'You guys are good enough, you are the ones we want' - might be invaluable. Get a war-room / bunker mentality before the big west coast trip.

Onwards and upwards.

A lot of comments about how Huet's experience helped, better now than Price, etc etc. Huet sucked for a month. Our win streak was down to Price. IMO, Price 'stepped it up' more than Huet, who crumbled when confronted by a 20-year old. Price showed bigger balls and a winning edge. Huet didn't show up.

Nice guy, will finish last with Washout. Everyone screaming bloody murder when Bob didn't give Briere the world...now everyone bemoaning the missed chance of Hossa..look at Philly and Briere; look what Pitts gave up for a rental. True, I though Huet might have got more, but even if they were shafted by Waddell, mgmt. had to know that they were comfortable making one move.

We tend to forget that players go beyond stats, that they depend more than anything on mental state. Higgins has been feeling the heat, not playing well...suddenly he is still with his boyhood team, first star. Price rocky, up-and-down, battling for a spot v. someone he looked up to...suddenly rock-solid against Atl. The confidence that our younger players might get from this - 'You guys are good enough, you are the ones we want' - might be invaluable. Get a war-room / bunker mentality before the big west coast trip.

Onwards and upwards.

The controversy and argument is over. Wish Huet well in his travels, he was a supremely loyal soldier and a real godsend in a tough time for us. Look forward, but acknowledge the past.

We're still giving them an upgrade in the most important position in the game. Huet is close to Vokoun and Lehtonen for the best goalie in the division.

That and one more time, just for Neech, HAL GILL IS UNDER CONTACT NEXT SEASON...Huet is a UFA...BIG DIF!

Huet has been an all-star.

This was inevitable. The thing is that it was either Huet or Halak, and Halak has way more potential. Huet did really good by us, but he was never consistent over the long haul.

I expect great things from our duo ... maybe not next week, but definitely in the long run (i.e. next year for shizzle!) ...

This was inevitable. The thing is that it was either Huet or Halak, and Halak has way more potential. Huet did really good by us, but he was never consistent over the long haul.

More like it was either Huet or Halak, but Huet is a UFA who's going to cash in.