If the Playoffs started tomorrow...

KoZed

(as of Mar 2, 2008)

1 - Montreal

vs

8 - Philadelphia

=> Would be very interesting, especially with the bad blood between both teams & the Brière Affair.

2 - New Jersey

vs

7 - NY Rangers

=> The Battle of New York.

3 - Carolina

vs

6 - Boston

=> Meh.

4 - Ottawa

vs

5 - Pittsburgh

=> This series could be a long one.

--------------------------------------------------

1 - Detroit

vs

8 - Colorado

=> A rivalry series would be interesting.

2 - Dallas

vs

7 - Vancouver

=> Could be interesting.

3 - Minnesota

vs

6 - Calgary

=> Intriguin match up.

4 - Anaheim

vs

5 - San Jose

=> Another series which could be long and rough. Both teams could be conference finalists yet they meet in the 1st round.

Montreal would win in 5 or 6

Rangers in 7 (rangers will do something)

Carolina in 7 (carolina will pull it out)

Ottawa in 6 (crosby will choke)

conference finals habs vs. sens

habs vs. red wings

Detroit in 5 (the red machine continues)

Vancouver in 7 (canucks will be worn out, like last year, and lose in the second round)

Calgary 7 (the teams kill each other, calgary severely weakened for second round)

SJ 7 (this will be a blood bath in attrition)

basically if it stays this way Detroit will have an easy walk to the finals because every team will be dead tired from beating up on each other.

Detroit vs. San Jose

Not after yesterday's performance.

Ellis is a decent goalie, but Dallas made him out to be the second coming of Georges Vezina himself.

I'm just worried about what will happen when the Habs will lose more than three games in a row - I don't think we're prepared to come back from something like that.

Re: Playoffs

Habs in 5, Rangers in 6, Carolina in 6, Pittsburgh in 7

Notes: Malkin-Crosby-Hossa vs Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson would be like a mini All-Star break in itself

Detroit in 6, Dallas in 5, Calgary in 5, Anaheim in 6

Notes: Minnesota won't go far, but they'll beat up Calgary with those thugs. Meanwhile, Anaheim's D pwns SJ

Habs in 5, Pittsburgh in 7

Notes: We love the Atlantic; Pens will win second Clash of the Offensive Powerhouses

Calgary in 7, Anaheim in 7

Notes: If Detroit continues to suck, they'll be merely average come playoffs; Stars vs Ducks is ultimate series

Habs in 6 - Pittsburgh will be too tired

Anaheim in 7 - Iginla and Kiprusoff won't be able to hold off Selanne, Giguere and the Deep D

Habs in 4 - There's no way any of this will ever happen, so I'll end this fairytale with a happy ending, and go get a warm glass of milk and a cookie

25 Cups in 100 years! Woo!

Edited by TheAussiePosse

The NHL and those TV networks that carry it should hope that the standings finish up looking something like this (although most involved would like even more to have Toronto involved). The rivalries are there (COL-DET, CAL-MIN, MTL-PHI), there are good regional match-ups (ANA-SJ, NYR-NJ), 4 original 6 teams (Boston, NYR, DET, Montreal), 4 Canadian teams (CAL, VAN, Montreal, OTT). Not to mention, Detroit, Dallas, and New Jersey are struggling while COL, NYR, and the Bruins are 5-8 seeds that are in the middle of winning streaks. A lot of storylines and a lot of teams and matchups with rich histories would provide for an excellent playoff season. Getting Toronto in there instead of Philadelphia would be a ton better even still. A first round playoff matchup between Toronto and Montreal would be AMAZING. Having MTL-TOR, and DET-COL would draw a great deal of interest from people both in Canada and in the States. Toronto's addition would add a lot of fans, a lot of history, and that series would be so much fun to watch. A throwback in NHL history like nothing we've seen (since the Colorado Detroit rivalry is in its infancy compared to the MTL-TOR rivalry).

VERY exciting.

Vancouver ain't making the playoffs.....................

Montreal-Philly playoffs history...

W L GF GA

Montreal Canadiens 4 0 14 9

Philadelphia Flyers 0 4 9 14

May 9 Philadelphia Flyers 3 4 at Montreal Canadiens

May 11 Philadelphia Flyers 1 2 at Montreal Canadiens

May 13 Montreal Canadiens 3 2 at Philadelphia Flyers

May 16 Montreal Canadiens 5 3 at Philadelphia Flyers

Montreal Canadiens win championship 4 games to 0

Series M W L GF GA

Philadelphia Flyers 4 2 22 22

Montreal Canadiens 2 4 22 22

May 4 Montreal Canadiens 3 4 at Philadelphia Flyers 00:09:11 OT

May 6 Montreal Canadiens 5 2 at Philadelphia Flyers

May 8 Philadelphia Flyers 4 3 at Montreal Canadiens

May 10 Philadelphia Flyers 6 3 at Montreal Canadiens

May 12 Montreal Canadiens 5 2 at Philadelphia Flyers

May 14 Philadelphia Flyers 4 3 at Montreal Canadiens

Philadelphia Flyers win series 4 games to 2

Series M W L GF GA

Montreal Canadiens 4 2 17 8

Philadelphia Flyers 2 4 8 17

May 1 Philadelphia Flyers 3 1 at Montreal Canadiens

May 3 Philadelphia Flyers 0 3 at Montreal Canadiens

May 5 Montreal Canadiens 5 1 at Philadelphia Flyers

May 7 Montreal Canadiens 3 0 at Philadelphia Flyers

May 9 Philadelphia Flyers 2 1 at Montreal Canadiens 00:05:02 OT

May 11 Montreal Canadiens 4 2 at Philadelphia Flyers

Montreal Canadiens win series 4 games to 2

I'd actually be frightened if Montreal played Toronto in the first round.

Why?

Because the Hockey Gods can be cruel and sadistic bastards.

I'd be surprised if Toronto makes it into the playoffs... They'd have to pass Philly, Buffalo, NYI and be better than Washington. Lot can happen in 17 games though...

lol

watch them make it.

in reality Bettman goes to the temple on Friday's praying for a canadiens-red wings match up.

i hope that happens. Would be great for the league.

No they won't unless they play as a team again. If the Sedins continue to play like this I want them traded too.

Very nice matchups they're! I hope it stays that pretty much that way. i'd love a MTL - Philly serie, it would be very intense but i'm sure we'd come up on top.

I think Ottawa would own Pittsburgh tough, so hopefully the Sens get to play someone else.

1 - Montreal

vs

8 - Philadelphia

=> Would be very interesting, especially with the bad blood between both teams & the Brière Affair.

Montreal in 6

2 - New Jersey

vs

7 - NY Rangers

=> The Battle of New York.

New Jersey in 7

3 - Carolina

vs

6 - Boston

=> Meh.

Boston in 7

4 - Ottawa

vs

5 - Pittsburgh

=> This series could be a long one.

Ottawa in 6

--------------------------------------------------

1 - Detroit

vs

8 - Colorado

=> A rivalry series would be interesting.

Detroit in 7

2 - Dallas

vs

7 - Vancouver

=> Could be interesting.

Dallas in 1

3 - Minnesota

vs

6 - Calgary

=> Intriguin match up.

Minnesota in 7

4 - Anaheim

vs

5 - San Jose

Anaheim in 6

I think Dallas wins that series, but c'mon Stealth! I think Vancouver could extend it to at least 4 games.

I feel better now.

Nucks in 7. ^_^

oh gosh cs don't be so pessimistic about the future.

For now, I'm pessimistic for this season. Never the future. This is the summer of change for the Canucks. If there isn't change, this fanbase is going to rebel. This is 110% guarenteed.

What was that about chickens before they hatch?

Threads like this make me want to photoshop a preview of monkeys flying out of my butt.

Can't wait for the playoffs like the rest of you, but who knows what the final standings will look like. I hope that the Habs end up at the top, but I think that the odds are against us. We will probably end up 4-5 ... and then who knows!

But have fun speculating all y'all!

i've graced this wonderful place for 3 years now and I think you've said that every season. :)

This IS the season mahn. Reasons? Nonis in his ENTIRE tenure really hasn't had the cap space to work with to make big changes. This offseason we'll finally see what he can do. Why is this? Naslund's 6 mill comes off the books. The other players I don't mind because they play up to their contracts and I wouldn't mind retaining Morrison for what he's making now. He plays his heart out for this team. Naslund, to be a 6 million dollar player, and do whathe does. I've defended him countless times but this is ridiculous and I want him gone... This is coming from a guy who has his jersey.

Re-thinking what I just said maybe if he agrees to a 2.5 mill deal and is made an assistant captain I wouldn't mind him sticking around. This team needs a new captain though.

D. Sedin - H.Sedin - Ryder

Raymond - Morrison - Rolston

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen

Pettinger - Shannon - Pyatt

Ritchie/Rypien/Brown/Cowan/Maybe Linden?

Mitchell - Salo

Ohlund - Bourdon

Edler - Bieksa

McIver

Luongo

MacIntyre

Krajicek is moved in a deal for a scorer. However if the above happens, maybe used to move up in the draft.

Rolston I have a very strong feeling will be a Nuck this summer. I was right about Mitchell two summers ago.;)

Ryder...... we'll see if the Habs let him walk or not.

Heck I'd love Hossa. We have the room to make it happen but I doubt Nonis does such a thing.

I'd have either Mitchell or Rolston as the captain.

okay i believe ya, you just said last year that this year was the year, then on yim you were like next year is the year. makes me confused.

:lol:

I might have said something like that. Nonis sounded as if we'd have a top 6 scorer for sure by now and you can see he tried. However this team is better than last years. Lets see if they can mesh in time. Especially once Morrison gets back. I really think Mo is going to be a big boost to this team.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna update this

In the East:

Montreal Vs Philadelphia

New Jersey Vs Boston

Carolina Vs New York Rangers

Pittsburgh Vs Ottawa

And the West:

Detroit Vs Vancouver

San Jose Vs Minnesota

Calgary Vs Colorado

Dallas Vs Anaheim

Ugh, thats like my nightmare series. I think we'd win but that'd be a week from hell.

I'm gonna update this

In the East:

Montreal Vs Philadelphia

New Jersey Vs Boston

Carolina Vs New York Rangers

Pittsburgh Vs Ottawa

And the West:

Detroit Vs Vancouver

San Jose Vs Minnesota

Calgary Vs Colorado

Dallas Vs Anaheim

Ugh, thats like my nightmare series. I think we'd win but that'd be a week from hell.

Looks pretty nice from here. Good matchups there. Habs-Flyers would be a very physical series but we'll skate circles around their D. Pittsburgh-Ottawa would get us rid of one of the top contenders right in the first series.