The irony of the Hossa attempt

platypus

Looking at past NHL drafts one can't help but stop in the year 1997. That year, we had the 11th pick and chose Jason Ward. The 12th pick was Ottawa's who turned out to be Marian Hossa. I find it strange the thought of rectifying that gross error by trading 4 of our players to rent him for several months with no guarantee on future service.

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe fate itself is balancing out the evil hand it dealt us in 1997 by allowing us to avoid him now so many years later.

I personally don't want Hossa at 8 million per year. It's obscene for a player who reminds me of Yashin in terms of greed and lack of loyalty. This team as it is gives me joy partly because they seem tightly knit and seem to actually like one another. When I see smiles when they win, utter dissappointment when they lose, that gives me back a hockey that is less commercial. Just my feeling anyhow.

If we sign Hossa for 5 years/$40 million in the summer, I think I would be less inclined to care about the team. Let's start an anti-Hossa campaign to keep him off the team!

(last statement is only half in jest)

-John

Looking at past NHL drafts one can't help but stop in the year 1997. That year, we had the 11th pick and chose Jason Ward. The 12th pick was Ottawa's who turned out to be Marian Hossa. I find it strange the thought of rectifying that gross error by trading 4 of our players to rent him for several months with no guarantee on future service.

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe fate itself is balancing out the evil hand it dealt us in 1997 by allowing us to avoid him now so many years later.

I personally don't want Hossa at 8 million per year. It's obscene for a player who reminds me of Yashin in terms of greed and lack of loyalty. This team as it is gives me joy partly because they seem tightly knit and seem to actually like one another. When I see smiles when they win, utter dissappointment when they lose, that gives me back a hockey that is less commercial. Just my feeling anyhow.

If we sign Hossa for 5 years/$40 million in the summer, I think I would be less inclined to care about the team. Let's start an anti-Hossa campaign to keep him off the team!

(last statement is only half in jest)

-John

Not sure if I'm all over the "ANTI HOSSA" train. I still think Gainey will be making him an offer during the summer and I would love to see what kind of scoring punch he could give our second line it so desperately needs. Word on the street is Boston will be hard after him, and if the final minute bidding at the trade deadline is any indication of who is interested I would include New Jersey, Ottawa and maybe even Atlanta back in the picture. Sure signs that the price for his service will be driven up quite dramatically, where Bob will draw the line is anyones guess, but he won't over pay. I'm not even sure what overpay would mean anymore. Times in the NHL are changing. I still say go with the kids and save our money for Vinny Next summer. I would consider overpaying him.........I know."dreamer.......you stupid little dreamer"

I still say go with the kids and save our money for Vinny Next summer. I would consider overpaying him.........I know."dreamer.......you stupid little dreamer"

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but you should forget Vinny. He's never gonna leave Tampa! The new owner wants to sign him to a long term deal

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but you should forget Vinny. He's never gonna leave Tampa! The new owner wants to sign him to a long term deal

Ya and we wanted to keep Patrick Roy untill he was 40.

Why? Hossa is a good player, and if he comes at a reasonable price, why not? And the Yashin comparison is just not well thought out. In Hossa's contract squabble with Ottawa (which occured when he was an RFA by the way, not a holdout), he was fooled by Muckler into signing a long-term deal and then booted out of town within hours.

That's like saying it's ironic that every team passed on Martin St. Louis 9 times and now would love to trade for him. 20/20 and all that jazz.

I personally don't want Hossa at 8 million per year. It's obscene for a player who reminds me of Yashin in terms of greed and lack of loyalty.

Don't know too much about his situation, but I don't know why he should be loyal to anyone. He got traded from his original team when he was playing very well. Remember Corey Stillman, or Ryan Smith, both guys were heart broken when they were traded. This is the new NHL, where GMs are not always loyal to their stable of players, so why should the players be loyal to them?

I agree....every man for himself nowadays.

Yeah, just ask Huet. ^_^

On another note, Huet is currently on TSN HD in an amazing game. Caps up 6-0 in the first. Ovechkin with a hat already. Huet will some nice saves at the end of the period. It looks funny as Huet is still using his Habs gear including his Helmet. The forum ghosts are currently in Washington. :)

As an UFA who care what the new owner wants. It is up to Vinny.

Yes but unlike Montreal, Tampa will go all the way to make Vinny happy.

I don't think I like the implication. You saying Montreal doesn't"put out". Ever been? lol

Well, that's the problem in today's NHL.

Players are dignified as untouchables when GMs should always be looking for the best deal possible regardless of who it is.

I hope no one is untouchable in Montreal (if the right deal comes into play, can't stop emphasizing that).

The Lecavalier situation is particular because well Tampa has NOTHING promising aside him in terms of longterm viability. Take him out of the team and all you got a team in need of a serious rebuild who can potentially finish last and be the laughing stock of the league for years to come.

Here's a problem for you: when Montreal inevitably signs Lecavalier (29) next summer, what do they do with Koivu who's also a UFA, and Plekanec, who's also a RFA? Pushing aside that fact that we'll have won the cup that spring and Saku might retire, what options do we have?

Maybe Vinny thinks Montreal's too slutty.

Seriously....Vinny thinks Montreal is too cold. Vinny probably thinks that anything north of Atlanta would be too cold.

You guys should stop dreaming about this guy. He won't become a Montreal Canadien...unlesss Tampa trades him away when he's in his late 30's. But by then, he won't be nearly as good.