I'm sure everyone has noticed and mostly since the trade deadline day the server has been crap. Slow, choking....losing connection...

Someone mentioned we could help by making our avatars smaller. Will just that help? Have we all of the sudden gained more members and the sever can't handle it? I would like to help out as much as I/we can but let's get to the bottom of it. Posting is really becoming a pain in the butt and not much fun when in the heat of the moment game thread you can't connect or you write out a post answering someone and it deletes because the server craps out.

Do any of the moderators have solid suggestions that will work? or let us know what the real trouble is so we can all help in fixing it.

I spend time on other message boards with way more members, GIF avatars, lot's of dynamic pictures and links and it doesn't seem to have any problems.

What gives?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea for a thread: something definitely needs to be done. Who is footing the bill for this place anyways? Would it help if we all kicked in a few dollars via PayPal to help pay for a better hosting package? Let's brainstorm, people...surely a group of people who can dissect and analyze a hockey team as we do can figure out a server issue!

Maybe if Pierre was not so long winded in his political posts we could free up 60% more bandwidth. :lol::lol::lol:

It would be good if the mods got together and decided the best course of action. I will help any way I can.

Is this .net domain not on its own server? If webhosted on a shared server that may explain things.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

I doubt it's the server in the last 3 weeks there have been problems and the pipeline out of Chicago was having major issues. Other servers are dependent upon those servers. When there's issues like that you're bound to experience problems. It has a cascading effect sort of like the North Eastern US power shutdown a few years back. Toronto was blamed and then Canada blamed the States and blah blah.

It's probably just a rough patch right now. I ran some tests and there's still a shortage. Has anyone noticed other sites being slow? The internet is up and down now. Even at my work.

I doubt it's the server in the last 3 weeks there have been problems and the pipeline out of Chicago was having major issues. Other servers are dependent upon those servers. When there's issues like that you're bound to experience problems. It has a cascading effect sort of like the North Eastern US power shutdown a few years back. Toronto was blamed and then Canada blamed the States and blah blah.

It's probably just a rough patch right now. I ran some tests and there's still a shortage. Has anyone noticed other sites being slow? The internet is up and down now. Even at my work.

*gasp* Skynet! :unsure:

i didn't have any problem since trade deadline, but wasn't so active in GDT neither... dunno... I might not be able to give more than 2$...

No, everything else seems normsl. It's just Habsworld. Tonight seems really good, but I don't think anyones around.

i keep forgetting about these feeds. sometimes us in the East get bottlenecked a little more than the Western members of this board. (Not Canada/US I mean the WORLD)

Checking internet traffic things look not bad right now in North America: Internet Traffic Report

However I still blame that Political Junkie who is probably glued to his TV watching the US Primaries right now! ^_^

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Hey guys, thanks for the thread. I share the concern. I've been actually working on it since (the disastrous and frustrating) trading deadline day. I'm inquiring with our host about increasing RAM memory for our account. (We don't have a bandwidth problem, but a problem with memory available on the server). I expect the playoffs to be as crowded as it was on trade deadline day. I'm doing all I can to make sure the site will be up and running during the playoffs. I'll have more details about the cost of a server upgrade by next week. I'm trying to at least get an upgrade for April-May-(June? SCF! hehe).

If anyone wants to contribute financially, please feel free! There's a way to do it through the forum's "My Controls" page, and the "Purchase Paid Subscriptions" link on the left side. Thanks, and I'll post an update as soon as I have details.

PS: This thread will be moved to the "About HW" sub forum later tonight.

Just received 2 donations. Thanks.. very appreciated!

your welcome , this board and the whole HW is really nice

i mean : a good website with great articles, prospects interviews, etc... a great forum wiht nice members... a really great simulated league...

this really worth the 5$ i just sent, i wish everyone who spend more than 15 minutes per week on HW would do the same, very cheap hobby compared to cinema, golf, go-kart or anything basically...

Just received 2 donations. Thanks.. very appreciated!

Happy to help out, but $25.00 a week $100.00 a month is a little steep to rant . Are there any other options besides the subscription thing?

Is that a continuing thing or a one time payment?

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Happy to help out, but $25.00 a week $100.00 a month is a little steep to rant . Are there any other options besides the subscription thing?

Is that a continuing thing or a one time payment?

Click this one and use paypal.

Donation by Mail/Other

HW Contact: HabsWorld P.O. Box 20017 Succ. Rosemont Trois-Rivières, Québec G8Z 4T9

I have not been having any problems but I will kick in some coin I don'y think I ever have before and I am on this site more than just about everyone, except PTG.

Edited by JMMR

I put my money where my browser is. C'mon people! The playoffs are coming!

Don't forget that aside from the server upgrade, Matt is paying monthly fees to keep the site online.

GO HW GO

Edited by simonus

It'd be MUCH easier if you had a little paypal button people could just one-click on to donate right on the site header. Gave what I had left in my PayPal...will give more when it re-ups (takes 7-9 business days to re-up from a Canadian bank account).

Everyone, please...kick in what you can...even if it's a couple of bucks...it all adds up. I've seen a lot of good sites go downhill because people didn't give anything back, so if you can afford to help out...you should. I enjoy the site immensely for several hours a week, and for many months of the year, and I'm sure you all do too. Think of it this way: you blow 8-12 bucks on a movie for only two hours of entertainment all the time! This is a great investment for your entertainment dollars.

It'd be MUCH easier if you had a little paypal button people could just one-click on to donate right on the site header. Gave what I had left in my PayPal...will give more when it re-ups (takes 7-9 business days to re-up from a Canadian bank account).

Everyone, please...kick in what you can...even if it's a couple of bucks...it all adds up. I've seen a lot of good sites go downhill because people didn't give anything back, so if you can afford to help out...you should. I enjoy the site immensely for several hours a week, and for many months of the year, and I'm sure you all do too. Think of it this way: you blow 8-12 bucks on a movie for only two hours of entertainment all the time! This is a great investment for your entertainment dollars.

Can you give me a basic rundown of how this paypal thing works? I am a complete noob when it comes to e-commerce.

I am absolutely willing to give a few bucks (once I figure out the paypal thing).

Matt, I HATE Paypal with a passion so I am going to send a donation the old way on paper in the mail. (Going to scrape up enough $$$ to make this worth while)

Who do we make the Cheque/Money Order out to?

Thanks,

-Jeff