Kovalev for the Hart?

IF Washington misses the playoffs (likely) and it would help

IF Montreal wins the East (possible)

Then Kovalev is definitely a candidate for nomination IMO. Ovechkin is really the most valuable player to his team but when a team misses the playoffs, it tends to hurt that player's chances of winning significantly. As Colin says, Washington minus Ovechkin equals AHL. But it's not like they're a good team with Ovechkin either. That would be a big knock on him IMO.

As for Malkin, there is also some doubt. He also deserves it because he carried the team once Crosby got injured. But the big knock on him will be that for the majority of the season, he played with Crosby (and for the last part, he was with Crosby AND Marian Hossa). How can I guy be the most valuable player in the league if he isn't even the most valuable player to his team?

I don't see any obvious knocks on Kovalev. If Montreal wins the East then he is simply "the best player on the best team in the East" and that atleast puts him in the running, I think. I'm not so sure he deserves an award of that calibre but if he winds up with 35 goals and 85 points, with a +15, I think that will be enough. People will look at our roster and say "on paper, these guys aren't that good, remember how we, the experts!, predicted them to finish 14th in the East before the season started? He must be good, because without him, it's a team full of no-name players like Andrei Markov and Mark Streit."

Colin, I don't think even a single person will hold back a vote for Kovalev because of his linemates. The guys on Sportsnet hardly even know who Plekanec and Kostitsyn are, good luck convincing them that they are major contributors.

So I think it is a possibility, and respected guys like Gretzky making comments like this to the media definitely help, but I would just be happy if he even got any recognition at all and got nominated.

It would also be cool for the three nominees to be three Russians from the East. ^_^

IF Washington misses the playoffs (likely) and it would help

IF Montreal wins the East (possible)

Then Kovalev is definitely a candidate for nomination IMO. Ovechkin is really the most valuable player to his team but when a team misses the playoffs, it tends to hurt that player's chances of winning significantly. As Colin says, Washington minus Ovechkin equals AHL. But it's not like they're a good team with Ovechkin either. That would be a big knock on him IMO.

As for Malkin, there is also some doubt. He also deserves it because he carried the team once Crosby got injured. But the big knock on him will be that for the majority of the season, he played with Crosby (and for the last part, he was with Crosby AND Marian Hossa). How can I guy be the most valuable player in the league if he isn't even the most valuable player to his team?

I don't see any obvious knocks on Kovalev. If Montreal wins the East then he is simply "the best player on the best team in the East" and that atleast puts him in the running, I think. I'm not so sure he deserves an award of that calibre but if he winds up with 35 goals and 85 points, with a +15, I think that will be enough. People will look at our roster and say "on paper, these guys aren't that good, remember how we, the experts!, predicted them to finish 14th in the East before the season started? He must be good, because without him, it's a team full of no-name players like Andrei Markov and Mark Streit."

Colin, I don't think even a single person will hold back a vote for Kovalev because of his linemates. The guys on Sportsnet hardly even know who Plekanec and Kostitsyn are, good luck convincing them that they are major contributors.

So I think it is a possibility, and respected guys like Gretzky making comments like this to the media definitely help, but I would just be happy if he even got any recognition at all and got nominated.

It would also be cool for the three nominees to be three Russians from the East. ^_^

He won't win it. The Hart will go to a top 5 scoring forward on a playoff team.

Take a look at the history of the award. To believe otherwise is based mostly on hope and not on reality.

I would bet on the nominees being Ovechkin, Malkin and Brodeur.

because kovy is the goof that he has been the last few years he gets no consideration for mvp BUT this team was picked to be 14 to 15th out of the playoffs. We are where we are because Kovy decided to play the hockey that he can. if any of you are so misguided as to believe he didn't take this team on his shoulders and lead it , you have been watching some other team. koivu has struggled higgins has struggled ryder disappeared but the guys playing with and around kovy blossomed hmmmm sounds like mvp to me he just will not get any considerstion because of his floater rep WHICH he has definitely not been this year.

Certainly, Kovy has been instrumental, but there is much more to our success than that. If one player could carry a team, certainly ATL and WAS should be up top.....no?

I haven't seen Price play at a level that shows me he can dominate a game regularily....yet....but definitely hope he's got that in him.

I've seen Kovalev dominate at least 40 games this year though...so I know full well he's capable of doing it.

Gotta play the odds on that one, but I will say this: Price will have to be darned good for the Habs to have a deep playoff run. Average goaltending won't cut it. And I definitely think he's capable of being darned good.

If you are playing the odds, it would be most likely Price. Because if they make it their with the history

behind the franchise (Roy and Dryden) and the fact that he will have to be great for the Habs to win the Cup, it would most

likely go to him.

Sportswriters are mostly dumb, so they will take the obvious story.