2008 MLB Thread

jetsniper

See you're proving my point. I never said stat people suck, I meant to imply that they are boring, because all they see in the game is stats. Its like trying to listen to a revolutionary communist when you are trying to talk politics. They are so dead set in their ways, that they will ridicule you for not being a 'revolutionary' and will attack you even though you agree with them 99% of the time, that 1% being the revolution part. These people become depressing to be around, they isolate themselves from reality, they start to 'check out' and lose friends. This is you and your stats, you attack me for not being 110% stat freak and you cannot see the other side, I'm calling for the middle ground, but you say that's still stupid, because stats are god, they don't lie, nonsense.

nope. You are wrong. All your analogies are not apropos.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you attack me for not being 100% behind you in your stats. I said trying to read these articles is boring to me. You then ignore my personal opinion and call me out as a fake for not 'believing in the stats'. This is where the revolutionary communist analogy comes in or anyone that is a diehard marxist or on the flip side a die hard libertarian. You are correct in that stats are baseball, but the way you go about trying to convert other people to your side, turns people off. Then you sit around wondering why hasn't the revolution happened yet? or in this case why hasn't everyone completely seen the light? That answer has nothing to do with sabermetrics itself, but the personalities of the people promoting it. Everything is about image and the so called 'traditional' writers will always have the upper hand because of 'image'.

you attack me for not being 100% behind you in your stats. I said trying to read these articles is boring to me. You then ignore my personal opinion and call me out as a fake for not 'believing in the stats'. This is where the revolutionary communist analogy comes in or anyone that is a diehard marxist or on the flip side a die hard libertarian. You are correct in that stats are baseball, but the way you go about trying to convert other people to your side, turns people off. Then you sit around wondering why hasn't the revolution happened yet? or in this case why hasn't everyone completely seen the light? That answer has nothing to do with sabermetrics itself, but the personalities of the people promoting it. Everything is about image and the so called 'traditional' writers will always have the upper hand because of 'image'.

more BS, PTG. If you actually read the articles that I posted, you would have seen that it was the "traditional" baseball announcer that was going out of his way to attack statistical analysis.

Your analogy won't get any more right no matter how many times you repeat it. BTW - I never called you fake, just wrong.

So basically your argument is that I am right in every way, but I am just not friendly enough for you to admit it? Whatever.

It is people like Bill Plaschke, Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan, and Murray Chass who get irrationally angry and make ridiculous claims against people who actually try to find informative statistics. These guys are arrogant jerks.

Everything is about image and the so called 'traditional' writers will always have the upper hand because of 'image'.

What does this even mean? That Peter Gammons is better than Will Leitch at painting a vivid picture with his words? Yup - but then again, Gammons understands modern stats and uses them too - not mutually exclusive.

You are buying into this ridiculous idea that everybody who is a "sabermetrician" is some nerd sitting in their mother's basement - that is stupid. Most people that do baseball analysis are pretty successful and affable people - you are just a contrarian and try to pick fights, which unfortunately I have allowed you to do here.

no I just said that you went after me for calling the sabermetric writing boring. You threw me under the bus because i didn't fully embrace the writing style. I hardly care anymore anyway, I think this arguing is a waste of time, I'd rather argue about more important things in the world. The reason I said it was boring, I tried reading your links, and it just wasn't doing it for me. I just couldn't get interested. Politics and music consume my life baseball used to, but I grew up. Anyway, I just take the game for what it is, I don't get caught up in stats unless I really like a player that is not linked to roids. Baseball is a game of numbers, but think of me as a third way trying to find a middle ground in these two camps war over baseball.

I have my own theories too, like if a player is in the last year of his contract expect a big year. Those guys just want a huge pay cheque at the end of the day. aka players that only show up when it counts on the dotted line.

I have my own theories too, like if a player is in the last year of his contract expect a big year. Those guys just want a huge pay cheque at the end of the day. aka players that only show up when it counts on the dotted line.

That's hardly a unique theory. Hard-core fantasy baseball people go out of their way looking for contract year players.

no I just said that you went after me for calling the sabermetric writing boring. You threw me under the bus because i didn't fully embrace the writing style. I hardly care anymore anyway, I think this arguing is a waste of time, I'd rather argue about more important things in the world. The reason I said it was boring, I tried reading your links, and it just wasn't doing it for me. I just couldn't get interested. Politics and music consume my life baseball used to, but I grew up. Anyway, I just take the game for what it is, I don't get caught up in stats unless I really like a player that is not linked to roids. Baseball is a game of numbers, but think of me as a third way trying to find a middle ground in these two camps war over baseball.

I repeat what I have said in virtually every post on this matter - you are wrong. Frankly, I don't understand why you ever posted in this thread. All too often you pop into threads to inform the other members of HW that you are uninterested in the thread subject. There are many people on the board who don't care about baseball... so they don't post in the thread.

Baseball Between the Numbers, Chapter 5, section 3, page 199. But why look to see if you are right when you can just opine?

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid Gonzalez screwed it all up tonight. Max Scherzer made his debut though and got 7 strikeouts and was perfect in his 4 and 1/3 innings of play. The D-Backs never recovered though. :rolleyes:

Jays rotation has now gone 7 straight starts without giving up more than 2 earned runs. Im hard pressed to find a better one in the league right now. On the flip side, I'm hard pressed to find a worse offense in the league right now.

Edited by Quebecois

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to believe in those Jays again. The offense has been average in May and that's all that is really needed with this rotation. We have a chance.

How is everyones pools going? My pitching is a little suspect outside of Halladay and Hamels, but my lineup is pretty killer.

10 team league

C: Joe Mauer

1B: Lance Berkman

2B: Brandon Phillips

SS: Jose Reyes

3B: Chipper Jones

LF: Alfonso Soriano

CF: Jay Bruce

RF: Magglio Ordonez

Util: Garrett Atkins

Bench: Joey Votto, Michael Bourn, Eric Byrnes (DL), Moises Alou (DL)

I've made two trades so far, James Shields for Joe Mauer and Randy Johnson + Rick Ankiel for Brandon Phillips.

Whens the last time we've seen a player debut the way Jay Bruce has?

That's why he's the #1 rated prospect. Cincy's got a great future that's for sure.

D-Backs won, Brewers won, Rays won, Marlins won, Mets won..... Good day for me. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's Flashback Friday in Toronto again this week, which is odd considering they're on the road.

Gibbons out, Cito Gaston in...I almost drove off the highway when I heard that one.

Fortunately, only an interim deal, someone to get them through the end of the season. What really makes me wonder is that all of the old coaches are back...these guys haven't coached since I was 9. The season just got a lot more interesting.

It's Flashback Friday in Toronto again this week, which is odd considering they're on the road.

Gibbons out, Cito Gaston in...I almost drove off the highway when I heard that one.

Fortunately, only an interim deal, someone to get them through the end of the season. What really makes me wonder is that all of the old coaches are back...these guys haven't coached since I was 9. The season just got a lot more interesting.

How the hell old is he at this point?