New Mario talk...

puck7x

Just watching HNIC's after 40 minutes , McLean brought up Mario's name and said that Boivin would be interested in him if he was available (yeah yeah we know that) ...

Mario's close-friends are suggesting to him that he leave the Pens and sign a 14 million dollar one year contract as a UFA...

Mario would need his share of the Pens to be bought by someone else for it to happen...

One of the other after hotstove guys said that the Rangers and Red Wings would also be interested...

Nothing really new , just being brought up again by HNIC...

[Edited on 2003/6/1 by puck7x]

Sure Boivin and co would love to have Mario, but is Gillett prepared to dish out the big bucks?

Yes revenues will increase with #66 and I'll buy season tickets and all that crap, but Gillett has really been screwed by the Habs in terms of payroll...

Although the bottom line is if Mario comes up to the Habs organisation and asks to play in Montreal, one would think Gillett would start to drool and give in anyways :D

Anyhow I'll always remember how down I was after that bitch Selanne stayed in San Jose, I have 0 expectations this year...Hull, Selanne....now Mario? :monkey:

I'm not sure having Mario will have a real impact on the revenus sources for Montreal organization, beside the selling of #66 jerseys.

Having #66, Montreal won't sell a lot more tickets (since we already have a lot of sellout games.. one of the best attendance)

Having #66 won't help the TV contract (already one of the best contract in the NHL. contract with RDS is already signed for few years)

But, we can say Montreal administrators owes that to the fans.. i mean, all those weak years! Also, that would be like a new or "old", "legendary" breath to an organisation who is losing, years after years, more and more of his special legacy/ tradition spirit.

Having #66 in a :hlogo: uniform would be simply amazing and would electrize all Quebec. That would have a tremendous impact, but not moneteray. We would finally have a living legend wearing the uniform. (They tried last year to bring a "legend" feeling, when presenting each member of one of the '70 team..)

Well, if Mario is not healthy, or play only 20 games or 10 min/game.. that would have the opposite effect. We already have a lot of legend in wheelchairs.

Why put our payroll our of whack and perhaps be forced to lose a kid that would get bumped off... just so Mario can come in and play half the games next year (before he gets hurt) and then retire?

Don't forget there won't be a 04-05 season so this is it for Mario.

We're on the right track, let the youth play and gain experience.. so we can start being competitive coming out of the strike.

No to Mario... please.

And Montreal is the wrong place to be if you're looking for teammates to protect you... ask Jose.

We've already got our injury-prone captain... we're fine here.

(btw let's focus on signing #11 instead)

:devil:

If Mario wants to sign for 4-5 millions and accepts to play on the wing, then ok.

As a GM, I would never pay 14 millions for one single player unless he would be absolutely awesome (like 250-300 points a year which is not likely to happen). For that much money, you can really solidify a team by adding 3-4 great quality players to your lineup.

Also, the Habs need to give Ribeiro a chance. He's got some skills, and he's got nothing more to learn from the AHL. It's do or die for him this year. Will he produce, I dont know. But he's got to be given a chance. Play him with Mario, that should boost his confidence level and points production. Then we can trade him at a much higher value when Higgins or Plekanec are ready. :devil:

Link to full article... click here

From TSN.ca

If, however, Lemieux can find a legitimate buyer, sources say he's interested in playing for only one of two NHL clubs -- the Rangers or the Philadelphia Flyers -- at market value, which would mean he would be getting a salary of at least $10 million a year, twice what he earned with the cash-strapped Penguins last season.

Sources say Lemieux is not interested in playing for the Montreal Canadiens.

Thank god... No Mario in MTL, now you're talking! :clap:

Mario will come.

I believe!

Super Mario is gonna bounce you Bowzers and your turtle minions with an incredible season.

Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk got nothing on

Hossa-Lemieux-Zednik

As long as Perreault leaves (and we get something in return), I'll be happy to get Lemieux.

5th in scoring with a team that is below Hamilton's level.

I'm sorry, but the best player (IMO) to ever play ice hockey definitely deserves a place on the team.