The Next Prime Minister

Ribeiro

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

If Martin is the current PM, I hope the other guy wins. I can't stand Canada's PM, even though I don't even know his name. I feel dumb for that, but oh well.

Harper is the other guy, the consevative leader. Its either Martin/Harper who will win, they are the only 2 who have a shot at it... But whoever wins tonight will likely only win with a minority gov't

martin's in, i guess. Best of the possibilities.... Martin stinks and harper is a nut, so I'll take martin. Big congrats to the NDP, got another ten seats or so, hold the balance - hopefully this will push martin to the left a little bit.

Broadbent for PM (in my fantasies).

If Martin is the current PM, I hope the other guy wins. I can't stand Canada's PM, even though I don't even know his name. I feel dumb for that, but oh well.

This from a pro-Bush American... I say no more.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

What's sad is that most people are voting for the government they dislike least, or the Government that will due the least harm.

That's just sad. Real...sad.

Hey, in America it's even worse. Kerry's whole campaign in based on the fact that his opponent is Bush. The only thing people know about him is that he disagrees with Bush.

I agree that it is sad though. People should vote for the candidate they support, not against the one they do not support. Personally, I will be voting for Bush not because I don't like Kerry, but because I feel that Bush is better suited for the job. I do not find Kerry trustworhty at all and incapable of making a decision and sticking to it. At this point in time, a change in power could destroy everything we've been fighting for.

And to Habs77, I suppose that since I wasn't sure that Martin was indeed the PM you think I am some brainwashed right-winger. I have only started following politics in the last year or so. I have enough going on in my own country to follow the Canadian government much. I was fairly certain Martin was the PM, but I wasn't sure. I guess I stated it poorly though, so it looked like I had no idea who it was.

By the way, what does Martin plan on doing with those American deserters who fled to Canada?

[Edited on 6-29-04 by Fanpuck33]

By the way, what does Martin plan on doing with those American deserters who fled to Canada?

If any soldiers deserted to Canada to avoid being sent to Iraq hopefully we'll do nothing, aside from giving them a medal.

If a man as stupid & corrupt as Bush was leading my country and trying to send me to my death on false pretences... I'd desert too.

On another note, why would Canada lift a finger to help the US out in this when they just let the pilot who dropped a bomb on our troops in Afghanistan get off scott free even if he was found to have disobeyed orders or not followed proper procedure?

If being sent Iraq is so important to you... enlist and go there yourself. If you're not willing to do that, calling anyone a deserter seems kinda hollow.

Gotta go catch a rerun of my fav show... it's a propoganda series called JAG, maybe you've heard of it.

Just read this thread, and while my post is sorta off topic, I still find it funny.

The two US republican senator candidates in Colorado debated last week. One, Bob Schaffer asked the other, Pete Coors (yes, of that Coors), what he thought about Paul Martin. After stumbling for a moment, Coors finally admitted he didn't know who Martin was.

Now please don't fire up with the "you stupid american" replies!

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0%2C1413...31312%2C00.html

[Edited on 2004/6/30 by huzer]

Originally posted by Habs77

Gotta go catch a rerun of my fav show... it's a propoganda series called JAG, maybe you've heard of it.

One of my favorite shows, although it has gotten much too political and far less action than it was the first few seasons. The first 4-5 seasons are very good.

Originally posted by Habs77

If any soldiers deserted to Canada to avoid being sent to Iraq hopefully we'll do nothing, aside from giving them a medal.

If a man as stupid & corrupt as Bush was leading my country and trying to send me to my death on false pretences... I'd desert too.

On another note, why would Canada lift a finger to help the US out in this when they just let the pilot who dropped a bomb on our troops in Afghanistan get off scott free even if he was found to have disobeyed orders or not followed proper procedure?

If being sent Iraq is so important to you... enlist and go there yourself. If you're not willing to do that, calling anyone a deserter seems kinda hollow.

WOW!

I couldn't disagree more......

The fact that Canada refused to help our American friends in the Iraq war is a DISGRACE.

It has nothing to do with what we could have offered in the war. It was all about support.

If we sent nothing, that would have been fine. As long as we supported the states.

America is Canada's best friend. I don't turn my back on my best friends - even if I think they are terribly wrong.

Relations under the liberal government with the USA has declined steadily.

Canada doesn't have to be American boot lickers to have a good relationship with them.

If we had a stronger relationship with America, issues like soft wood lumber and mad cow would have been resolved by now.

God bless our American friends.

4 more years of the liberals......Ontarians are a bunch of dumbasses :monkey:

Originally posted by dahabs111

boy oh boy!!!....as a canadian living in the states, I have many opinions on this topic.....I'm debating whether to waste my breath on either of you!!

And why is that? Do you feel that my views are not worth a response?

Were there really that many deserters? I haven't heard of any. Why isn't Hannity, Limbaugh, NYPost, or FoxNews talking about it?

BTW - US and Canada recently signed a treaty to help return draft dodgers and AWOL's, so you can't really get too PO'ed about that.

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

WOW!

I couldn't disagree more......

The fact that Canada refused to help our American friends in the Iraq war is a DISGRACE.

It has nothing to do with what we could have offered in the war. It was all about support.

If we sent nothing, that would have been fine. As long as we supported the states.

America is Canada's best friend. I don't turn my back on my best friends - even if I think they are terribly wrong.

Relations under the liberal government with the USA has declined steadily.

Canada doesn't have to be American boot lickers to have a good relationship with them.

Canada has given significant assistance to the war on terror, look at Afganisthan. (BTW - thanks america for setting the world price on murdering canadians - $5,000 USD, good to know)

I could not agree with you more that american does not have to be an American boot licker in order to maintain relations, too bad neither the earlier portion of your post nor President Bush agrees.

Canadian relations with the US has not declined steadily under the liberal administration - they have delined steadily under the Republican administration. I dont remember so much crap between us and canada during the Democratic period of the Chretien government - shit, they put nafta together.

Originally posted by simonus

Were there really that many deserters? I haven't heard of any. Why isn't Hannity, Limbaugh, NYPost, or FoxNews talking about it?

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but people like Hannity and O'Reilly do bring it up fairly often. I haven't heard much about it llately though.