The Detroit Red Wings win the 2008 Stanley Cup

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit, Ottawa is in.

Dude, we want Ottawa in, providing they lose in the first round (preferably to us).

No Alfredsson, no Fisher would make it a lot easier on our Koivu-less squad.

Dude, we want Ottawa in, providing they lose in the first round (preferably to us).

No Alfredsson, no Fisher would make it a lot easier on our Koivu-less squad.

I wanted all Ontario teams out to shut up the obnoxious fans of Leafs and Sens. Now the crybaby fans and centralized Ontario sports media will tell us that Senators will crush the East. Oh well, another month of ignoring Ontario sports as the Sens should be out by then.

1. Pittsburgh * 81 47 102

2. Montreal * 81 46 102

3. Washington * 81 42 92

4. New Jersey 81 45 97

5. NY Rangers 81 42 96

6. Boston 81 41 94

7. Ottawa 82 43 94

8. Philadelphia 81 41 93

9. Carolina 82 43 92

Here are the "official" standings. Why on earth a game in hand places a particular team ahead of another is beyond me. Why is Carolina in 9th and the Caps in 3rd if Carolina has more W's? I understand that it's "the fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage)" but until the Caps get one more remaining point it's kind of moot.

BTW - if you want the playoff tree banner to be at the top of each page you must set the options to "Linear" view. It's too bad it doesn't appear at the top of the page normally but whadda ya do? I suppose I could repost the image as a new post as time goes on.

in the east:

Pittsburgh VS Philadelphia

Montreal vs Boston

Washington vs Ottawa

new york vs new Jersey( 4th and 5th places to be determined by their last game on sunday)

this will make for interesting matchups in the first round !!

Let the real season begin !!!

Yep, if Philly wins, it'll be a Sens-Pens match-up. Meanwhile, we need to fight off the Bear Scare..

I'm glad we don't have to fight Philly because their special teams could have handled our special teams, and without our PPGs, we're not that great of a team.

That said, as much as we want to beat Boston quickly and look ahead to who we play in round 2 (if we finish 2nd, it's the Caps or NJ/NY, if we finish 1st, it's NJ/NY or a low-seeded dark horse), we have to physically push our heads back to concentrate on this round. It was well noted that our young roster may find themselves swept up in an emotion of pride and feel they deserve to waltz through four rounds to win the 25th cup in 100 years, and that could cost us the first series.

But I'm hoping that Hamrlik (who has played in the playoffs or four different teams) and Brisebois (who doesn't necessarily have to play, but was there in '93) and Dandenault (with his three cups) can talk some sense into our defence (Komisarek, O'Byrne, Gorges and Streit) and continue blocking shots for our goalies, who, we sometimes forget, are the youngest tandem in the league.

I'm hoping too that Kovalev and Koivu can talk to our top two lines, reign in the expectations of the Kostitsyns, Plekanec, Grabovski, Latendresse, even Higgins and Ryder, and remind them that what will clinch the Bruins series is secondary scoring.

And finally, the key part of our survival of the upcoming Bear Scare, are our grinder/shutdown lines. Smolinski has been great of late, and his faceoffs will be essential against Savard (who is a whiz). Begin, Kostopolous, Lapierre will all need to be aggressive, get under the skin of Chara and especially Thomas, and draw a few penalties.

This is a team who, when they were fighting to clinch a playoff spot, went 2-5-4, which tells us that they (a.) can't hold on to leads late in games (our specialty; see: NYR), (b.) can't finish when the pressure's on, and/or (c.) don't have a winning mentality. They also are low scoring, with 5 goals in the final 4 games, and will likely hope to hold onto one-goal leads.

But there is no doubt they'll play the underdog card, and that idea will be seconded by most of the idiots like Cherry or ESPN. We can't allow ourselves to be made into (or believe we're) Goliath. We need to play above the hype. (We're currently facing 9:1 odds to win the Cup).

Now, let's cheer on those Phillies, because it's been close to 25 years since we last won the Eastern Conference.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

Eastern Conference

1st Round

(1) Montreal vs (8) Boston -- Montreal in 4

(2) Pittsburgh vs (7) Ottawa -- Pittsburgh in 6

(3) Washington vs (6) Philadelphia -- Philadelphia in 6

(4) New Jersey vs (5) NY Rangers -- NY Rangers in 6

2nd Round

Montreal vs Philadelphia -- Montreal in 5

Pittsburgh vs NY Rangers -- Pittsburgh in 7

3rd Round

Montreal vs Pittsburgh -- Montreal in 7 (Home Ice advantage pays off here)

Western Conference

(1) Detroit vs (8) Nashville -- Detroit in 4

(2) San Jose vs (7) Calgary -- San Jose in 7

(3) Minnesota vs (6) Colorado -- Colorado in 5

(4) Anaheim vs (5) Dallas -- Anaheim in 6

2nd Round

Detroit vs Colorado -- Colorado in 6

San Jose vs Anaheim -- Anaheim in 6

3rd Round

Anaheim vs Colorado -- Colorado in 6

Finals

Montreal vs Colorado -- Montreal in 5

Conn Smythe - Mike Komisarek whoohoo!!!

Its really interesting matchups in the East. Except for Montreal-Boston, the 3 other series could really go either way. Ottawa and Philly have both reasonable chances to win their series, or at least push it to 7 games.

Eastern Conference

1st Round

(1) Montreal vs (8) Boston -- Montreal in 6

(2) Pittsburgh vs (7) Ottawa -- Pittsburgh in 6

(3) Washington vs (6) Philadelphia -- Philadelphia in 7

(4) New Jersey vs (5) NY Rangers -- New York in 6

2nd Round

Montreal vs Philadelphia -- Montreal in 7

Pittsburgh vs New York -- New York in 6

3rd Round

Montreal vs New York -- Montreal in 6

Western Conference

(1) Detroit vs (8) Nashville -- Detroit in 5

(2) San Jose vs (7) Calgary -- San Jose in 7

(3) Minnesota vs (6) Colorado -- Colorado in 6

(4) Anaheim vs (5) Dallas -- Dallas in 6

2nd Round

Detroit vs Colorado -- Colorado in 7

San Jose vs Dallas -- San Jose in 6

3rd Round

San Jose vs Colorado -- San Jose in 6

Finals

Montreal vs San Jose -- Montreal in 6

Conn Smythe - Carey Price

I like the Flames' chances against San Jose :clap:

The Ducks-Stars series look promising too !!!!

God I hope Calgary loses. I really don't want to see a Keenan coached team win ever again.

Goalies matchup:

Price (2.56 .920) vs Thomas (2.44 .921) : Habs have had Thomas' number this season and Price has stepped up since Huet's gone. Edge Price

Fleury (2.37 .920) vs Gerber (2.72 .910) : Fleury bounced back from injuries with a strong end of the season while Gerber faltered. Edge Fleury.

Huet (2.32 .920) vs Biron (2.64 .917) : Huet was great down the stretch for the Caps, but so was Biron. Edge Huet

Brodeur (2.18 .920) vs Lundqvist (2.24 .912) : Brodeur is Brodeur. Edge Brodeur.

Hasek (2.17 .900) vs Ellis (2.34 .924) : Two guys going opposite ways. Slim edge to Hasek because of experience.

Nabokov (2.15 .909) vs Kiprusoff (2.69 .906) : The starter vs his ex backup, 77 & 76 games in regular season. Edge none.

Backstrom (2.31 .920) vs Theodore (2.43 .910) : A late bloomer vs an ex-MVP. Edge Theodore because of pressure experience.

Giguere (2.12 .922) vs Turco (2.32 .909) : One of the most underrated goalie vs one of the most overrated. Edge Giguere.

Goalies matchup:

Nabokov (2.15 .909) vs Kiprusoff (2.69 .906) : The starter vs his ex backup, 77 & 76 games in regular season. Edge none.

You're telling me the GAA difference isn't enough for an edge? As much as I love Kipper, Nabokov has been solid all season long.