HABS vs FLYERS • GAME THREAD • GAME 3

KoZed

What a lameass serie so far. Philly is so lucky, all their goals are of the ugly and lucky kind, we hit ton of posts and crossbars and Carey has picked the wrong time to go in a slump. The only Flyers that really deserve to be up 2-1 is Biron.

I know than I posed the same thing in the last GDT, but the winner of this serie will have the honour of being canon fodder for NY/Pitt.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know than I posed the same thing in the last GDT, but the winner of this serie will have the honour of being canon fodder for NY/Pitt.

Didn't we split both season series with them? There is always a chance in the playoffs. If we catch heat we could definitly beat those teams, but we are getting wayyyy to far ahead of ourselves.

Didn't we split both season series with them? There is always a chance in the playoffs. If we catch heat we could definitly beat those teams, but we are getting wayyyy to far ahead of ourselves.

NYR beat us 3-1, our only win was the Comeback. We were 2-2 with PIT, but they've improved substantially since we last played them... they're hot at the right time.

Kovy seems tired.......he's giving up the puck too easily when pressured............it doesn't look like he's 100% (although still better than most even at 80%)...........I thought Gui was effective tonight in the offensive zone with his hitting.....Laps played a bit better, but he's not puck savvy enough to bury some of his chances.......Carbo needs to leave the Begin/Kosty/Smokes line alone.......Higgins is still sleep-walking-------Hammer backs in too much when Philly is on the rush...........Price goes through long stretches of no action, and you can tell he's having trouble focusing (he even admitted it after Saturday's game).....................Gorges & Cube had decent games.....Markov's starting to come around and getting hungrier near the opposition's net (but him & Streit must do a better job of keeping the puck in on the PP)>>>>>>>>>GHG!

What a lameass serie so far. Philly is so lucky, all their goals are of the ugly and lucky kind, we hit ton of posts and crossbars and Carey has picked the wrong time to go in a slump. The only Flyers that really deserve to be up 2-1 is Biron.

Yea, the HABS don't have much luck so far but heck I'm sure it will turn soon, very soon. Next game will be much different with Biron getting bombed out of the net! I'm sure that we still have a great chance to win this series.

Price goes through long stretches of no action, and you can tell he's having trouble focusing (he even admitted it after Saturday's game).....................

Yea but it shouldn't be a problem for a good goalie to stay focused ... that's what Brodeur did all the time at the Stevens/Niedermeyer times. They also didn't allow lots of shots but Brodeur was always there when it counted the most.

I would say that this team has dominated 6 or 7 out of 9 periods against Philly so far. Regardless of the outcome, I can't be mad at this team. If you are giving it 100%, that's all you can do. It's become a goaltender dual, and Biron plays well when he's facing a lot of shots. So does Price. It's a little hard to watch, but regardless of the outcome, I will be proud of this team for their efforts in this series.

Kovy seems tired.......he's giving up the puck too easily when pressured............it doesn't look like he's 100% (although still better than most even at 80%)...........I thought Gui was effective tonight in the offensive zone with his hitting.....Laps played a bit better, but he's not puck savvy enough to bury some of his chances.......Carbo needs to leave the Begin/Kosty/Smokes line alone.......Higgins is still sleep-walking-------Hammer backs in too much when Philly is on the rush...........Price goes through long stretches of no action, and you can tell he's having trouble focusing (he even admitted it after Saturday's game).....................Gorges & Cube had decent games.....Markov's starting to come around and getting hungrier near the opposition's net (but him & Streit must do a better job of keeping the puck in on the PP)>>>>>>>>>GHG!

This kind of stuff is really hard to read. We've outshot them 2-1 for god's sake! There is nothing wrong with the way the team is playing. The difference is goaltending. And how you can fall for that Cherry, who carefully picks some lame shots to show and then claims that's all we're doing. And then one guy here actually said that "we're getting in Price's way" or something like that. You mean NHL goalies don't use body-positioning to block the shots they can't see!? You mean all NHL goalies see every shot that comes their way!!!!???? You mean NHL goalies give up 3 goals on 12 shots against a team that's barely pressuring them?

Wake up and smell the roses!!! I sure hope Carbo does. But please, PLEASE, DO NOT CRITICIZE THIS TEAM!!! They are playing as well as a team can play, with 6 hit goalposts so far this series, and a hot goalie against them...

- Jack

:huh: Higgins is like the best player of this serie so far...

This kind of stuff is really hard to read. We've outshot them 2-1 for god's sake! There is nothing wrong with the way the team is playing. The difference is goaltending. And how you can fall for that Cherry, who carefully picks some lame shots to show and then claims that's all we're doing. And then one guy here actually said that "we're getting in Price's way" or something like that. You mean NHL goalies don't use body-positioning to block the shots they can't see!? You mean all NHL goalies see every shot that comes their way!!!!???? You mean NHL goalies give up 3 goals on 12 shots against a team that's barely pressuring them?

Wake up and smell the roses!!! I sure hope Carbo does. But please, PLEASE, DO NOT CRITICIZE THIS TEAM!!! They are playing as well as a team can play, with 6 hit goalposts so far this series, and a hot goalie against them...

- Jack

I see nothing incorrect about what SoCalHab said - maybe YOU need to wake up. The Habs were fortunate to win game 1, deserved better in game 2, and were plain bad most of last night - down 2-1 in the series is about right. Shots on goal are meaningless if they're mostly from the perimeter, and if hitting posts counted, Kovalev would have been our leading scorer last year. :rolleyes:

A 2 minute 5-on-3 and 1 shot on goal?? A travesty. Most of their other powerplays in the first 2 periods were equally ineffective. Price is part of the problem, but don't pretend that's where it ends.

Yea, that wasn't the response i was expecting from the team. Don't let the score fool you, they finally scored a couple after the flyers were shorhanded like 10 minutes. They had a chance early to make a difference and they didn't. They are having good stretches and bad against the flyers.

Is it just me or do they seem to just skate around and wait for something good or bad to happen. If it's good they wake up and play well, if it's bad they don't ever have a response.

Game 4 is do or die, all year they had a good response when they needed it, well they need it Wed.

Someone needs to step up and make a difference.

He didn't let you down tonight??

I have been rooting for him as much as anyone, and I expected big things out of him tonight. I would say he let me down.

I still expect and want to see him start next game.

It was not a must win game.

He is what he is. He is a 20 year old kid who is learning on the job and has been placed in a situation with no security net.

Find me a 20 year old kid not named Roy who has done what he has. If you do find one, I am sure he would be ripped on this board for something.

This series is NOT OVER. Price has rebounded from getting shellacked in the WHL playoffs, AHL playoffs, the NHL regular season

and the NHL playoffs.

Everytime his back has been against the wall he has responded with a huge effort. 1-1 and Game 3 is not a back against the wall moment.

Almost every Stanley Cup championship team in the last 20 years has had a back to the wall moment. That includes goalies like Roy, Belfour, Hasek

Vernon, Brodeur, Giguere, Khabibulin and they and their teams were able to respond.

Brobin and a couple of others on this board are probably the only ones who could be justifiably upset because they wanted to keep Huet for situations

just like this. Yet Brobin is not complaining because the decision was made and you cannot change it. The Price bandwagon fills up and empties, fills up

and empties.

This board is never happy unless there is a dominant four game sweep. I mean the Habs are up 3-1 against the Bruins because the goalie is standing

on his head and everybody is complaining about how the team is playing, competing and not playing their system. Now the Habs are trailing 2-1 and

they are substantially outplaying the Flyers and everybody is complaining about the goaltending.

This series has just begun and the breaks are going to turn and the Habs will be rewarded.

Edited by Wamsley01

Yea, that wasn't the response i was expecting from the team. Don't let the score fool you, they finally scored a couple after the flyers were shorhanded like 10 minutes. They had a chance early to make a difference and they didn't. They are having good stretches and bad against the flyers.

Is it just me or do they seem to just skate around and wait for something good or bad to happen. If it's good they wake up and play well, if it's bad they don't ever have a response.

Game 4 is do or die, all year they had a good response when they needed it, well they need it Wed.

Someone needs to step up and make a difference.

They have been the better team.

In all honesty, how many really good scoring chances have the Flyers had? And what is their success rate on converting them? 50%?

Breezer tipping one in his own net, Lupul whiffing and hitting his skate and trickling in, Carter having a shot deflected top shelf by Hamrlik,

A shot that hits the post bounces out hits Price in the leg and trickles in.

Montreal has not really played well and are outchancing them at least 2 to 1 and have no deflection goals (stick or skate) and no puck luck

to the tune of 6 goal posts in 3 games.

I can see where Price gets the bulk of the blame because if he was solid it would be a 2-1 or 3-0 lead. But I have never seen a series continue

without the breaks changing and evening out to some extent.

That being said, some guys do need to step up and a better effort is needed.

Edited by Wamsley01

He is what he is. He is a 20 year old kid who is learning on the job and has been placed in a situation with no security net.

Find me a 20 year old kid not named Roy who has done what he has. If you do find one, I am sure he would be ripped on this board for something.

This series is NOT OVER. Price has rebounded from getting shellacked in the WHL playoffs, AHL playoffs, the NHL regular season

and the NHL playoffs.

Everytime his back has been against the wall he has responded with a huge effort. 1-1 and Game 3 is not a back against the wall moment.

Almost every Stanley Cup championship team in the last 20 years has had a back to the wall moment. That includes goalies like Roy, Belfour, Hasek

Vernon, Brodeur, Giguere, Khabibulin and they and their teams were able to respond.

Brobin and a couple of others on this board are probably the only ones who could be justifiably upset because they wanted to keep Huet for situations

just like this. Yet Brobin is not complaining because the decision was made and you cannot change it. The Price bandwagon fills up and empties, fills up

and empties.

This board is never happy unless there is a dominant four game sweep. I mean the Habs are up 3-1 against the Bruins because the goalie is standing

on his head and everybody is complaining about how the team is playing, competing and not playing their system. Now the Habs are trailing 2-1 and

they are substantially outplaying the Flyers and everybody is complaining about the goaltending.

This series has just begun and the breaks are going to turn and the Habs will be rewarded.

The 20 year old excuse is getting old. I certainly dont expect him to be the savior...just solid, as I know he can be.

If he is old enough to be put in the position he is in, then he is old enough to accept blame when it is due. Last night was the 1st night I can truly say he let me down. He keeps his glove on the Richards shot and we win the game....no question.

I am not blaming him for us being down in the series. All I said was he let me down last night. I expected him to rebound better after a questionable outing. Obviously, if we could score, we could have one. But certainly he didnt hold up his end of the deal. So we should be able to criticize him privately, on this board, regardless of his age.

You mention it was not a "must win". Is that what it has come down to? He will get a free pass for a bad game in a non "must win" situation?? Well last night's game was pretty big, and we put ourselves in a whole. Price is due to steal one and I fully expect him to be in the net and to be solid. I really dont want to have to ask your opinion about a bad performance in game 4....because it certainly is a must-win, IMO.

For the record, I would still bet my money on him rebounding tomorrow. Again, just disappointed it wasnt last night.

and the NHL playoffs.

and empties.

The 20 year old excuse is getting old. I certainly dont expect him to be the savior...just solid, as I know he can be.

If he is old enough to be put in the position he is in, then he is old enough to accept blame when it is due. Last night was the 1st night I can truly say he let me down. He keeps his glove on the Richards shot and we win the game....no question.

I am not blaming him for us being down in the series. All I said was he let me down last night. I expected him to rebound better after a questionable outing. Obviously, if we could score, we could have one. But certainly he didnt hold up his end of the deal. So we should be able to criticize him privately, on this board, regardless of his age.

You mention it was not a "must win". Is that what it has come down to? He will get a free pass for a bad game in a non "must win" situation?? Well last night's game was pretty big, and we put ourselves in a whole. Price is due to steal one and I fully expect him to be in the net and to be solid. I really dont want to have to ask your opinion about a bad performance in game 4....because it certainly is a must-win, IMO.

For the record, I would still bet my money on him rebounding tomorrow. Again, just disappointed it wasnt last night.

- Jack

Once again, Price is not sharp but his team mates have a habit of screening him at the worst possible moment. If you watch the replays, you see he is in good blocking position, the thing is making a save when you can't see the puck is positioning and luck...Price is having some very bad luck. O'Byrne skated right in front of the shot as the puck was released on the first goal, the second goal was through Komi's leg and deflected off of him. At the other end, I saw only one good screen all game on Biron. It was by Koivu and resulted in our 2nd goal. Even a casual hockey observer must understand that any starting NHL goalie will stop 99.9999999% of shots he has ab unobstructed view of...this is why players screen and deflect so much. Philly is doing a great job of it we are doing a very soft job of it. To me that's the difference.

and the NHL playoffs.

and empties.

Great post Wamsley! Once again, you get it :clap:

Now the Habs are trailing 2-1 and they are substantially outplaying the Flyers and everybody is complaining about the goaltending.

They've only outplayed the Flyers during 3rd periods, though. Sure, the Habs have created some chances here and there in the first two periods, but they definitely have not been outplaying the Flyers in those periods. Only when their backs have been against the wall in the third period has this team truly dominated the play this series. Their passing has been very sloppy all playoffs and they are not hustling often enough to win the puck on the dump in. And to be honest, until that 5 minute major, I thought the Habs had given up. The first two minutes of that PP they couldn't even control the puck in the offensive zone. They need to play aggressively like they did after they goal, that was how they dominated the play.

Also, their needs to be a fight this series. I'm sick of all the pushing and shoving after every whistle. Refs: let them go.

To each his own.

But HE IS 20 and the Canadiens rolled the dice on the kid. I have never seen expectations placed on an individual like the expectations

have been placed on him. They are unrealistic expectations and he laid an egg last night like the inexperienced kid he is. No more, no less.

I expect him to lead the Canadiens to future glory, but I also tempered those expectations with low points as well. Nights like last night

are more realistic and probable than nights like Game 7. But so was him losing in the first round of the Calder Playoffs and not making the Habs

and apprenticing under Huet for 2-3 years.

I watched Roy lead the Habs to a Cup then melt down in 1987 and 1988 and have the fans trying to run him out of town by 1993.

And that was a guy who WON a cup at 20 and is a Hall of Famer. So over reaction by the Montreal fan base is no surprise to me at all.

This is not about beating the Flyers to me, it is about testing the mettle of the future lynchpin of the franchise. It is about seeing how he responds,

showing confidence in him to do so and providing him with the experience of NHL setbacks and disappointments. I feel these are key developments

of his future. So people on this board can call me anything they want, I am not going to pile on a kid who has been fantastic all season.

I am frustrated they did not win, I am frustrated the offense has been shooting blanks, I am frustrated that Price has been shakey in his last 2 starts.

But this team has done this all year. They did it in the first round and they are doing it again.

Benefit of the doubt is what I am providing them. The forwards, the coaching staff, the 20 year old goalie. They have overachieved all year, so

why stop now?

They've only outplayed the Flyers during 3rd periods, though. Sure, the Habs have created some chances here and there in the first two periods, but they definitely have not been outplaying the Flyers in those periods. Only when their backs have been against the wall in the third period has this team truly dominated the play this series. Their passing has been very sloppy all playoffs and they are not hustling often enough to win the puck on the dump in. And to be honest, until that 5 minute major, I thought the Habs had given up. The first two minutes of that PP they couldn't even control the puck in the offensive zone. They need to play aggressively like they did after they goal, that was how they dominated the play.

Also, their needs to be a fight this series. I'm sick of all the pushing and shoving after every whistle. Refs: let them go.

Sorry, they have not been dominant for the whole series. But if you look at scoring chances which is essentially what you are trying to create and stop,

the difference is staggering. The Flyers have been scoring on shots that if they were stopped might not even be considered scoring chances.

Montreal has 6 scoring chances that are not even counted as shots. In the last 2 games they have taken 35 shots, had about 20 miss the net and 20 blocked.

That is 140+ shots directed at the net in Game 2 and 3. The Flyers would have to have had 100+ blocks and misses to match that type of production.

They are down because Price has lost his mojo. They deserve to be winning the series 2-1 at worst.

I am frustrated they did not win, I am frustrated the offense has been shooting blanks, I am frustrated that Price has been shakey in his last 2 starts.

But this team has done this all year. They did it in the first round and they are doing it again.

There it is in a nutshell for me. I was so pissed last night I switched over and watched The Simpson after the 2nd and actually missed the first 4 min of the 3rd...first time I've done that this season. I'm frustrated a bit with Price, because I know he can be better, but too many people here are ok with the team floating for 45 minutes every game and having the 20 year old rookie goalie steal 16 wins for a 25th cup.

"He's 20 years old, can't forget about that. We're trying to ask this kid to be a savior for our club. But again, we had a 5 on 3 for 2 minutes, we had 5 of our best players on the ice, and you know, maybe we should blame them also. It's a team game, we lost as a team, we'll take everybody to blame, not just one guy." - Guy Carboneau after last nights game

"Someteimes when a coaching staff pull a goalie, it's not so much about his performance but more about getting something going as a team and getting a spark". - Saku Koivu after last nights game

Thank god the coach and captain don't share the views of many on this board :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Fat Tony

:?- Um, care to show me where I said anyone was dominant the whole series?

Do you come on just to be contrary? I am agreeing that they have not been outplaying them for full games. Hence I said sorry.

But they are outchancing them by large margins.

You don't even address the rest of the post.

Do you come on just to be contrary? I am agreeing that they have not been outplaying them for full games. Hence I said sorry.

But they are outchancing them by large margins.

You don't even address the rest of the post.

That's because there was only one part to which I was responding. I thought it was a sarcastic sorry, such as "Sorry, but you're wrong." It sounded to me like you were saying that I thought the Flyers were dominating, and then pointing to facts to say the Habs were dominating.

That being said, I still think the Habs have been lucky that their sloppy play early in these games haven't led to more scoring chances. With as many turnovers as we commit, the Flyers could easily be beating us even with strong goaltending.