2008 Habs Draft thread

MAK

Draft time is usually my favourite time of the year. its there you see which player will come and save the franchise. on any given yera I'd be thrilled but not this year.

It's a deep draft this year and almost every team will get a great pick in the 1st round. For the Montreal Canadiens however, I don't see who they would pick.

I know that timmins and gainey will give us the best player available bullshit but lets face it, the first round will be full of Dmen and smallish talented foward.

what we dont need:

-goalies( not in the 1st round at least)

-Dmen

-small fowards

what we need: size, grit, offensive fowards

MY choice: Jared staal.

he may not have the offense or as much talent but he brings size, grit( the grittest staal) and hes right handed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Colborne. He's huge and has some top 6 upside. He should be in the Habs reach when they draft. There's also Maxime Sauve from Val D'Or. He's a skilled centre but his knock is his size (5'-10").

Keep in mind, this is Timmins. Timmins doesn't draft based on needs. He goes based on the best player available model. That's how the Habs landed Carey Price instead of Jordan Staal.

Edit: I meant Marc Staal, not Jordan.

Joe Colborne. He's huge and has some top 6 upside. He should be in the Habs reach when they draft. There's also Maxime Sauve from Val D'Or. He's a skilled centre but his knock is his size (5'-10").

Keep in mind, this is Timmins. Timmins doesn't draft based on needs. He goes based on the best player available model. That's how the Habs landed Carey Price instead of Jordan Staal.

If memory serves me correctly, Staal was a 2006 pick (3rd overall?), Price a 2005. We picked Price over players like Brule and Kopitar.

As for the original topic, I'd be looking for the Habs to consider a skilled centre, a couple names that pop in my head are Zac Dalpe and Corey Trevino, both headed for US Colleges; the Habs have had a tendency to draft players college bound in recent years. They do need to take a goalie this year (although I was adamant about this last year as well), as there is nobody left in the system (Desjardins technically isn't signed with the Habs, and I consider Lacasse, who couldn't be the backup on an ECHL team to be nobody.)

Our first round pick should be a high potential, offensive player, preferably a RW or a C. Timmins will not always necessarily go BPA. He only did that in 05 because we had the 5th overall pick in a loaded draft and decided to get the only guy remaining that he felt could be a franchise player. Last year, he went against that, putting a focus on defenceman. I expect them to aim at centers this draft - if we have only five picks, I would expect us to get 3 offensive centers, one big, offensive RW and one goalie in a mid-ranged round.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if montreal went with a goalie in the 2nd round.

after Halak things are real thin.

Chet Pickard everyone ??

*raising my hand* ME, ME,ME

I'll be there with a buddy for the first round.

JMMR should be there as well!!

we sent a letter asking for tickets. hope we get them.

Hopefully,

I forgot about picking them up for 3 days or so and by the time I went to pick them up at Local Hero's which is like 5 min walk from my house round 1 was all gone.

I just grabbed 4 for round 2 and I am hoping to get my hands on round 1 tickets somehow.

we sent a letter asking for tickets. hope we get them.

I'll definitely buy tickets for next season's draft in Montreal...

Our first round pick should be a high potential, offensive player, preferably a RW or a C. Timmins will not always necessarily go BPA. He only did that in 05 because we had the 5th overall pick in a loaded draft and decided to get the only guy remaining that he felt could be a franchise player. Last year, he went against that, putting a focus on defenceman. I expect them to aim at centers this draft - if we have only five picks, I would expect us to get 3 offensive centers, one big, offensive RW and one goalie in a mid-ranged round.

Timmins strategy is simple......

Get the guy you want or get the best player available.

Last year the habs tried to trade up into the 6-9 picks to get McDonagh, luckily he was still there and they got who they wanted. After that it was all the BPA mentality with Pacioretty because they tried to package the 22nd pick with the 12th to move up.

I will be there for sure.

Where do you actually get tickets for the event?

I will be there for sure.

Where do you actually get tickets for the event?

dunno yet, might be on Admission or at the Bell Centre

me too !!

Would it not be wise for Montreal to start drafting 6' + centers that can play a style like say Jason Arnott?

As much as I like the Euros and Russian players I think a little toughness with talent at centre is what is needed to challenge for a cup.

Would it not be wise for Montreal to start drafting 6' + centers that can play a style like say Jason Arnott?

As much as I like the Euros and Russian players I think a little toughness with talent at centre is what is needed to challenge for a cup.

Don't get too attached to the "North American players are tough" line. Some of the toughest/strongest in the league are Euro's. Long gone is the "soft " tag from the european league players.

Grachev is big and strong on the puck and hard to contain, he would be a good fit for the habs.

do you guys think that Bob could trade his 1st rounder for a nhl ready player ??

do you guys think that Bob could trade his 1st rounder for a nhl ready player ??

Considering the prospect depth we have, as well as the draft in Montreal next summer, I think this is the best chance for Gainey to move the pick that he has ever had.

Gainey can try to trade it for someone ready now as you said or take a flyer on another deal and add a second first rounder for next year somehow for the home crowd (Tavares and Hedman help as well).

Sweet I just got confirmation that we'll have tickets for the 1st round !! :lol:

I do not think Montreal should trade a 25th choice a this draft, maybe only to go down a little bit if

the choice is not a obvious one.

I have said before that they should draft in Europe but now with the success of Detroit more teams will

be attracted to swedish players, this leaves the russsians prospects that should only be drafted under Kovalev

approval. He is clearly not in the russian federation clique and could identify the players that are not under the

federation hand.

And if, i said if at the 25th choice Chet Pickard was still available i would not be all that surprise to see another

top goalie prospect in the organisation. With Halak on the trade market and no other goalie on the rise it could

happen even if it seem unlogical to us with Price in the hot seat.