Sundin.....any thoughts

Harp77

From what I've read they have not given up anything at this point...the Leafs gave them permission. Sounds like the Habs only give something up if they can reach a deal in advance of July 1st...someone correct me if I'm wrong...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though he was and is a Leaf, having Sundin in a Habs uniform be great. And on top of that, maybe only a draft pick traded away for his negotiating rights. Hate to see a 1st rounder go though, as it might be better to wait for July 1. Can't see too many teams in the hunt for Sundin.

Even though he was and is a Leaf, having Sundin in a Habs uniform be great. And on top of that, maybe only a draft pick traded away for his negotiating rights. Hate to see a 1st rounder go though, as it might be better to wait for July 1. Can't see too many teams in the hunt for Sundin.

If experience teaches anything it's that there is ALWAYS some f*cking idiot GM ready to grossly overpay for Big Names whether it helps their team or not. I don't blame Bob for protecting himself from this, if indeed it comes together.

I'm frothing at the mouth with excitment, but sheesh - people are already talking about us winning the Cup with Sundin, etc. :lol: One step at a time, boys. ;)

Okay, so it looks like there's a very good chance Sundin is going to be ours. He still isn't the guy I would have wanted but I am still excited to see one of the most dominant players in the league on our team. I would have preferred we got Jokinen who is a similar player but younger and I think easier to play with but that would have involved a package including Plekanec or Higgins so I figured Gainey would rather go for Sundin. This move just shows that Gainey wanted to talk to Sundin before the draft to know what to do with Jokinen and stuff like that.

Can someone explain to me why the Leafs would allow a division rival permission to speak with their best player without forcing them pay to buy his rights?

The only thing I can think of is that they are 100% sure he's leaving and Gainey is too. So they figure that if Gainey talks to him now, he may be enticed to buy his rights later so he can lock him up before he hits UFA.

I really dont want him especially if were going to give him alot of money. He will provide some scoring though.

I just have this feeing that we will see him in bleu, blanc et rouge next season.

Just goes it show - it doesn't matter WHO you acquire, some people will be unenthusiastic. Sundin is as consistent as they come and an absolute rock.

As for why the Leafs would do this, I think BTH hit the nail on the head. But I also think (frankly) that Montreal vs. Toronto isn't as big a deal to Toronto fans as it is to Habs fans. (I could be wrong, but that's my impression. I believe that Boston fans hate us more than any other fan base on earth, and rightly so. But I think, while we DESPISE Toronto, they lack a comparable degree of loathing). Beyond that, Gainey and Fletcher seem to be on pretty good terms - they're both pretty experienced NHL GMs after all. But the Leafs' own vested interest in getting clarity on Sundin probably trumps everything.

Whether they hate us or not does not change the fact that we are Conference and even Division rivals. Their reasoning may be that they are rebuilding and we're competing and that by the time they are close to our level again, Sundin will have retired.

i hope bob can get this deal done, Sundin well make us that much better, we give him a 1-2 year deal, for want ever it takes..i dont know if this well bring us the cup, but we well be better and it well make leaf fans cry..WIN WIN for me

:clap:

I think we may have gotten Mats :clap:

Toronto has made Sundin huge offer??? - SPORTSNET

If we acquired his rights and a deal is being offered......?

Draw your own conclusions and be careful - nothing confirmed

I think it's safe to say the 25th pick WAS NOT moved for Sundin's rights. Why would T.O. negotiate a new contract with Mats if we already had his rights?

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I think we may have gotten Mats :clap:

Toronto has made Sundin huge offer??? - SPORTSNET

If we acquired his rights and a deal is being offered......?

Draw your own conclusions and be careful - nothing confirmed

I think it's safe to say the 25th pick WAS NOT moved for Sundin's rights. Why would T.O. negotiate a new contract with Mats if we already had his rights?

Uhhh, maybe I'm thick...but this sounds to me like TO is trying to keep Sundin, no? Explain to me how this is good news.

It isn't good news, Sundin will be tempted by that offer, there is no guarantee he wants out of Toronto. If the Leafs did intend on keeping him though, I have no idea why they'd give a division rival permission to negotiate with him. I think they are just hoping to jack up the asking price on his rights by showing us that they still want him so he won't come cheap. I don't think Gainey will be pushed around though. Now that we have spoken (/will speak) with him, we will have an offer he likes waiting for him on July 1st, the minute he hits the market. If the price is for his rights is too high, we can just wait for him to hit free agency. The only risk is that someone else buys his rights first.

The way I see it is Montreal want's him under contract, currently he's not signed anywhere and TO offers him a contract, and then he;s traded. They had his agent on Sportnet, and he said Mats is still undecided if he'll play in the NHL this year, so to get him under contract guarentees he's staying at least another year.

So now TSN is reporting that we are about to acquire Tanguay for the 25th pick. That would be an awesome move but it may bode that the talks with Sundin didn't go well and that this is our Plan B. I don't think we can afford both.

If we DID get both, we would instantly become one of the best teams in the league this year, if not - dare I say it - THE best.

I can't BELIEVE these rumours. Sundin!!!! Tanguay! These two players would represent an ENORMOUS talent upgrade. Clearly, Gainey and co. are GOING FOR IT for the centennial. :clap: And thus far, doing it without sacrificing any young assets. If it works out - hot damn.

Alot of money will be tied up in Taungay and Sundin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, for one year (Tanguay) and maybe two (Sundin). There's no cloud in this silver lining. If Bob pulls these moves off, they are Certified Genius.

Apparently Gainey is saying that he will go to Sweden to talk to Sundin, right now he simply talked to him by phone about the team's interest. Perhaps the Tanguay deal will help show Sundin the Canadiens are serious about going for a Cup. It's mentioned in Mike Boone's blog at Habs I/O.

Question - Lets say Sundin signs with us, does anyone know what kind of compensation we are talking here for the leafs? I reallyyyy don't want to see any Montreal players in a Leafs uniform... haha

P.S - I can just see it...watching Leafs vs. Habs hockey night in canada...watching the game surrounded by all my leaf- fan friends...Sundin scores for the Habs victory!!

Probably won't ever see a bigger look of bitterness around a room in my life...and it will be epic!

What do Habs give up if they do sign Sundin before July 1st?

I was wandering why not just wait until July 1st and get him for free - he is a UFA no?

I believe we give TO something if we sign Mats, period. So waiting until July 1 won't let us off the hook.

Why not wait? Because some other damned GM will come along and offer Sundin something outrageous, that's why. That's a guarantee. Teams always, always massively overpay on the UFA market - think Briere, Souray, etc. - and the Habs are no longer in a cap position to survive a bidding war. Thus the stupidity of NHL GMs has made necessary the further stupidity of paying teams for the right to speak to their impending UFAs. It's the new order: very different from the old, but still controlled by the same blithering idiots that spent themselves into bankruptcy under the old salary model. Bob is doing what he has to do to secure the inside track on Sundin before his dumb-as-posts competitors do.

Long night, lots of drinks, lots of fun :)

But if Price is what I think he is.....the Habs are a STANLEY CUP FAVOURITE!!!!

How do you guys feel about that??

Sundin is not going to cost more than picks or a Grabovski/Fischer.

So if Mats signs, Bob "No faith from the masses" Gainey just added two 80+ point players

to a core of young studs that lead the league in scoring for a 1st rounder and a marginal NHLer or pick.

Go HABS Go is all I have to say!!!

Edited by Wamsley01