Sundin.....any thoughts

Harp77

The Sundin situation; even if he signs back with T.O. it's looking more and more like Fletcher\Sundin Leafy indecisiveness.

"You have until Monday Ron Wilson but you're our man" - typical Leaf nonsense. Nothing has changed. It truly stinks.

PS. Lapierre today resigned for 2 years.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything the cucumber said. Sundin would be worth it. The Habs' biggest weakness is the lack of talented Size up front...especially down the middle. Sundin would immediately fix that problem.

GIve him 15 million over 2 years(front loaded...like 10 million the 1st year and 5 million the 2nd year) and make sure he plays with talented wingers.

For all of you who are still dreaming of seeing Vinny LEcavalier in Montreal, i thiink it's safe to say we can FORGETABOUTIT!!!

The Guy gets to go to the arena wearing sandals on his feet. He never has to shovel snow or clear his driveway. It's always warm in Tampa. He's rich and nobody recognizes him when he does his groceries or is out on the town. He has almost no pressure and did I say that he enjoy's living in a warm environment!?!?!

You can bet your house that Tampa will offer him something like 50 million$ for 5 years. THey will NEVER let him go!

nor should they if they have any brains............wait THAT may be a problem :rolleyes: :hlogo:

Edited by habs rule

I'm thinking this whole Sundin saga will be decided before July 1st.

I just wonder what Sundin is thinking. Wamsley was right, Sundin was

treated terribly by the Leafs. If it were me I would never go back. But,

Sundin I would think has a certain comfort level playing in Toronto. So,

there's a very good chance he could re-sign.

If he doesn't re-sgn with them and goes UFA on July 1st, I think Cucumber

is right in that he'll probaby end up a Wing. Detroit just makes so much sense.

There is a third possibility and that is that Sundin decides he doesn't want

to return to the Leafs but gives Fletcher as list of teams he would sign with

so that the Leafs could get a decent return for his rights. And this is where

some of that depth we've accumulated can come into play. I hate to lose

assets for nothing, the Perezhogin situation still riles me because he wasn't

given a proper chance. The same might hold true for Grabovsky, who needs

to play on one of the top 2 lines. I wouldn't be against putting together a

package for Sundin provided he signs with us before July 1st.

Hell, we might then land Sundin and help Toronto enough that they miss out

on Tavares. :lol:

Hell, we might then land Sundin and help Toronto enough that they miss out

on Tavares. :lol:

Fletcher is going to go after whatever free agents are available and buyout raycrap or F..errr..Tucker.

They are pushing hard to challenge for 9th place! :lol:

and 9th place would be an excellent place for them to finish. A great improvement from this year and once again no hope on the horizon. I like it :hlogo: :D

and 9th place would be an excellent place for them to finish. A great improvement from this year and once again no hope on the horizon. I like it :hlogo: :D

I am sure glad Gainey looks at the future and has built the backend of this team. Unlike the laughs, Habs should be good in net and Defense for many years. The young forwards are showing their talent and someone like Sundin will help them gain more confidence with his exceptional offensive skills. Sundin would only be another brick in the road to continous success.

So the overall consensus is that if Sundin can be signed by the Habs.... you have to because the risk vs rewards is to one sided.

After Sundin the next best UFA to run at is Rolston? (Hossa is too expensive and has no heart)

Does that about sum this thread up?

If Habs don't land Hossa or Sundin, the best free agents for them to sign are basically the one with a huge potential return.

For example (in no particular order): Jagr, Shanahan, Demitra, Prospal, Naslund, Selanne, Recchi, Satan (the hockey player), Fedorov and Rolston.

If Habs don't land Hossa or Sundin, the best free agents for them to sign are basically the one with a huge potential return.

For example (in no particular order): Jagr, Shanahan, Demitra, Prospal, Naslund, Selanne, Recchi, Satan (the hockey player), Fedorov and Rolston.

I like where Tony's going - it would help to sort out our thoughts on this if we had a list of available UFAs - but the trouble with this post is that some "particular order" is exactly what we're debating. :lol: Soooo, of the players listed here, I'd say:

1. Rolston

2. Hossa but only at a manageable price, which I severely doubt will happen

I'm not convinced that ANY of these others would represent an improvement on what we've already got. Jagr is of course an enormous talent upgrade, but do you *really* want your team relying on a 36-year-old Jagr and a 35-year-old Kovalev for leadership? Two high-end headcases/crybabies? High-reward but also very high risk - it's the kind of team structure that bad organizations assemble, not winners. A NY Rangers/Toronto-type move.

Demitra is interesting, a good player who will certainly help somebody; but he's injury-prone and doesn't seem to represent a massive upgrade on, say, Plekanec or Koivu or (in his capacity as winger) any of our speedy, talented wingers. The same seems to be true of Prospal: more of a lateral move than an upgrade at forward. So why bother?

Now, Fedorov, he might be a good short-term experiment. He has shown that he can still be effective, at least for a certain period of time, as an offensive player on an attacking team. But hasn't he found the perfect fit in Washington? It's imperative not to overpay for a player like that. I'm intrigued but no more.

The rest amount to broken-down former stars who should be avoided like the plague IMHO.

Long story short: if Tony has listed the UFAs with the greatest upside, then after Rolston and Hossa I would revert back to typical Gainey mode and look to add good depth players a la Kostopolous. Forget the Big Names.

You never know. BOb is so shrewd he might just get a big name. It might even come via trade. Expect the unexpected. :clap:

It's going to be an interesting 3 weeks.

Well, I didn't mean "don't get ANY big names." I meant: don't get the specific big names Tony listed. Sundin, Rolston, and Hossa would be my Big Three, and in that order of priority. The others, like Prospal, Jagr, etc., I have severe doubts about.

But hey, I'm the guy who beat the drum on the notorious Kovaelv-for-Marleau trade scenario. :rolleyes: So I definitely have no problem with "big names" as such - just with the guys on Tony's list, which I assume to be fairly representative of the available UFAs out there. Indeed, we may reach a point where we see Gainey deal a Chris Higgins to get back a truly elite player - wouldn't surprise me at all, and depending on the return I'd have no beef with Bob.

Well, I didn't mean "don't get ANY big names." I meant: don't get the specific big names Tony listed. Sundin, Rolston, and Hossa would be my Big Three, and in that order of priority. The others, like Prospal, Jagr, etc., I have severe doubts about.

But hey, I'm the guy who beat the drum on the notorious Kovaelv-for-Marleau trade scenario. :rolleyes: So I definitely have no problem with "big names" as such - just with the guys on Tony's list, which I assume to be fairly representative of the available UFAs out there. Indeed, we may reach a point where we see Gainey deal a Chris Higgins to get back a truly elite player - wouldn't surprise me at all, and depending on the return I'd have no beef with Bob.

I agree with much of what you have said. But, I would add Jagr and Selanne to that

list becuse they won't be looking for longterm deals and I think would have chemistry

with Koivu. Although rumours are that Jagr wants to remain a Ranger and they have

interest in re-signing him. Selanne I would think will re-sign with the Ducks or retire.

If the Wild aren't going to re-sign Demitra then they will retain Rolston and I think he

wants to stay there. Sundin will probably remain a Leaf or sign with Detroit.

So, that kinda leaves Hossa if we want to add an impact forward. I think that would

cost us 9M per over something like 6 years. I like Hossa, but not at that much. I'm

pretty sure Gainey will make him an offer and Gainey will be under intense pressure

to add a bigname player for this coming season.

It might come down to a trade but I'd be leery about trading Higgins until I had Komisarek

signed to a longterm deal. I can envision a situation where we deal Higgins in a package

for O.Jokinen. Higgins likes it there and tells Komisarek about the tax situation and then

Komisarek signs with Florida as a UFA.

Well it's not in the list I said then it's going to be players like Stephane Yelle, Matt Cooke, etc.

That may be the way Gainey ends up going. I'd probably add Holik,Peca and Jason

Williams to that list. Basically 3rd line types, although Williams is interesting in that

he can play C and RW and can play the right point on the PP. He's a righthanded

shot and was developed in the Detroit system so is a fine two-way player capable

of playing on the 2nd line in case of injuries.

Williams would be a nice pickup if we don't re-sign Streit.

So the overall consensus is that if Sundin can be signed by the Habs.... you have to because the risk vs rewards is to one sided.

After Sundin the next best UFA to run at is Rolston? (Hossa is too expensive and has no heart)

Does that about sum this thread up?

yep that about sums it up close thread. :lol:

It might come down to a trade but I'd be leery about trading Higgins until I had Komisarek

signed to a longterm deal. I can envision a situation where we deal Higgins in a package

for O.Jokinen. Higgins likes it there and tells Komisarek about the tax situation and then

Komisarek signs with Florida as a UFA.

Very good point. Higgins and Komi are very good friends. If you trade Higgins (a player who has repeated numerous times that he would love to play his entire career in Montreal) you might end up openning the door for Komisarek to leave as well!

Higgins won't be moved. I have a feeling he's the new team "project". They're going to mold this guy the way Latendresse was visioned to be when he was drafted.

Higgins won't be moved. I have a feeling he's the new team "project". They're going to mold this guy the way Latendresse was visioned to be when he was drafted.

Higgins is pretty much molded as we saw what he can do and cannot do.

He is not a powerforward and will never be, is main asset is his speed and his ability to control the puck,

is weakness is a poor shot aiming and average passing.

The "project" will be to find linemates for him that will get his confidence back.

When Ryder was the sniper and Koivu the pivot this line was pretty good.

If Gainey doesn't sign a big name, I could see him sign a depth player like a cooke, peca etc...other than that signing someone like Naslund, Demitra would be a step sideways, and would only take minutes away from developing our prospects.

Well I didn't mean a power forward per say. More like the current player that he is now except with more grit and tenacity.

What he does right now is good enough. Potting a few more goals here and there would help relieve the pressure on him but personally I'm fine with the way he plays.