Sundin.....any thoughts

Harp77

very interesting... I wonder if they are discussing a deal with the Leafs for the rights to negotiate with Sundin...

I think we can pretty much assume that discussions with Sundin's agent are a prelude to that. Given how Bob has been burned by rival GMs making irresponsible trades/offers for big-name players, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Bob will happily deal his 1st-round pick for "talking rights" rather than risk losing the big fish on the open market.

Of course, nothing guarantees that the initial conversations will produce any sort of progress. Nonetheless, if I'm Sundin, I want to play in Montreal as much as anywhere (except maybe Detroit).

Somebody pinch me, I can't believe this could actually happen :lol:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a buddy who loves Sundin to no end and HATES the Habs.

The possibilities if this happens have me giddy!!

I've already started making the rounds, I have a lot of leaf fan friends/co workers. The look of utter shock on their faces when they pull up the article. Even if it doesn't happen its nice to see them sweat. :lol:

I've already started making the rounds, I have a lot of leaf fan friends/co workers. The look of utter shock on their faces when they pull up the article. Even if it doesn't happen its nice to see them sweat. :lol:

I have already prodded the big bear and he hasn't let me down.

It only took 3 e-mails to get an EAT ME! response. This could be the greatest season ever :clap:

If the Habs were to obtain Sundin, at the cost of a draft pick from this year's draft, I would accept it as a reasonable move by Bob Gainey. Even if it means the pick is the first overall, since Sundin still carries more offensive ability then most Habs players, and he has the ability to fit it well on this team, since the entire offensive burden would not be put only on him. If you could picture Sundin wearing any other non-rival team's jersey the majority of his career, then you'll probably agree with me on that statement.

What I will have a tougher time accepting is if Montreal also has to give up a starting player from their current roster [ie. the roster that they finished the playoffs], especially if it's a younger player. I doubt BG will do that, since his comments the other day indicate he feels the team is very close to making a serious run in this year's playoffs, that obtaining a front line forward is an important step towards getting there.

I believe I read somewhere recently, that Sundin is not interested in playing for an American team this season, due to his business interests/investments in Canada. That makes sense, since there are some provisions for non-American citizens that work in the U.S. that face big tax penalties for investments they hold outside of America. I can't remember the exact details, but I'll try and track this information down this weekend.

Edited by habscout

If the Habs were to obtain Sundin, at the cost of a draft pick from this year's draft, I would accept it as a reasonable move by Bob Gainey. Even if it means the pick is the first overall, since Sundin still carries more offensive ability then most Habs players, and he has the ability to fit it well on this team, since the entire offensive burden would not be put only on him. If you could picture Sundin wearing any other non-rival team's jersey the majority of his career, then you'll probably agree with me on that statement.

What I will have a tougher time accepting is if Montreal also has to give up a starting player from their current roster [ie. the roster that they finished the playoffs], especially if it's a younger player. I doubt BG will do that, since his comments the other day indicate he feels the team is very close to making a serious run in this year's playoffs, that obtaining a front line forward is an important step towards getting there.

I doubt it contains a roster player. Why would you do that when you can just continue contract talks in 10 days

at zero cost to you? The Leafs don't really hold much leverage in this situation

Edited by Wamsley01

No, you're better off taking your chances on the UFA market than surrendering a roster player just to talk to Sundin. But I haven't heard any suggestion that that's come up. If it did, I'd fervently oppose it.

Beyond that - Sundin in a Habs' jersey??? It would be PHENOMENAL.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

As a habs fan living in Toronto I'm salivating about this possibility. Nothing would be better to hold over my leaf fan friends than this :D.

:lol: This is great!

I can imagine how sick I would have felt if Foule had trade Roy to the Leafs in 1995.

As a habs fan living in Toronto I'm salivating about this possibility. Nothing would be better to hold over my leaf fan friends than this :D.

doug gilmour's value in this regard has worn out?

I believe I read somewhere recently, that Sundin is not interested in playing for an American team this season, due to his business interests/investments in Canada. That makes sense, since there are some provisions for non-American citizens that work in the U.S. that face big tax penalties for investments they hold outside of America. I can't remember the exact details, but I'll try and track this information down this weekend.

Anyways, if staying in Canada is a major factor for Sundin, then I'd have to think the Habs stand the best chance at getting him. Of course, the whole 'news' item could just be a ploy from the Leafs to get a decision out of Mats quicker, on whether he's going to return to Toronto or not.

doug gilmour's value in this regard has worn out?

Gilmour came after playing in Jersey, Chicago and Buffalo and was essentially shot as a player.

Also the Habs were crap at the time. Sundin is their best player and is coming directly to the Habs

and could possibly make them the best team in the East.

Gilmour came after playing in Jersey, Chicago and Buffalo and was essentially shot as a player.

Also the Habs were crap at the time. Sundin is their best player and is coming directly to the Habs

and could possibly make them the best team in the East..... AGAIN

I fixed it up there a bit for ya Wamsley.

Actually, I believe the Flyers GM Paul Holmgren made a wise move around this time last year, when he traded a first round pick for the rights to Scott Hartnell & Kimmo Timonen, then signed them up to contracts before they became UFA's, beating everyone to the punch by about 12 days. He must have identified these 2 players as players he really wanted, and expected they would also be very sought after as UFAs.

So, if Gainey has identified Sundin as the best player to fit the team's need, which Sundin does, since he's a big #1 centre, with great offensive skill, good on faceoffs, good leader, and decent on defence, then if his salary demands are in line with what the Habs can afford, I say it's worth getting him early.

No, you're better off taking your chances on the UFA market than surrendering a roster player just to talk to Sundin. But I haven't heard any suggestion that that's come up. If it did, I'd fervently oppose it.

Beyond that - Sundin in a Habs' jersey??? It would be PHENOMENAL.

I fixed it up there a bit for ya Wamsley.

:) Thanks

Actually, I believe the Flyers GM Paul Holmgren made a wise move around this time last year, when he traded a first round pick for the rights to Scott Hartnell & Kimmo Timonen, then signed them up to contracts before they became UFA's, beating everyone to the punch by about 12 days. He must have identified these 2 players as players he really wanted, and expected they would also be very sought after as UFAs.

So, if Gainey has identified Sundin as the best player to fit the team's need, which Sundin does, since he's a big #1 centre, with great offensive skill, good on faceoffs, good leader, and decent on defence, then if his salary demands are in line with what the Habs can afford, I say it's worth getting him early.

No lose for the Flyers. They were trading back the pick they got in the Forsberg deal

Just to talk to the agent means that Bob has the better offer to talk to the UFA Sundin.

This also shows that Sundin as agreed to talk to the most interesting team for him before the deadline.

It shows that Bob is ready and fed up to be best second place in players choice.

I wonder if Sundin-Kovalev and Sundin-Mogilny would have the same chemistry.

Ek is reporting that we're going to send our first for negotiating rights to Sundin...

I hope Bob has made a deal in which the pick is dependant upon reaching an agreement.

I would be pretty pissed to lose a first round pick for nothing if a deal wasn't reached.

I wish I were in Toronto right now to see the pathetic faces of all those Leaves fans cringing at the thought of Sundin playing in Habstown.

Could you imagine the looks on their faces if the Habs were to actually win the cup with SUndin!?!?!?

That would be priceless!! We could hang that over their heads for the rest of time!!

Edited by Habsfan

I hope Bob has made a deal in which the pick is dependant upon reaching an agreement.

I would be pretty pissed to lose a first round pick for nothing if a deal wasn't reached.

SO would I. I would think Bob is smart enough to put some kind of condition to protect himself!

I wish I were in Toronto right now to see the pathetic faces of all those Leaves fans cringing at the thought of Sundin playing in Habstown.

Could you imagine the looks on their faces if the Habs were to actually win the cup with SUndin!?!?!?

That would be priceless!! We could hang that over their heads for the rest of time!!

I am in Toronto right now and it is GREAT!