Shakeup in Canadiens Management : Confirmed

puck7x

Just watching the opening of sportcentre on TSN (when they announce the stories etc) ... And they said "News on a possible Montreal Canadiens management shakeup" ...

So tune in if you wanna know what they are talking about , nothing about this on the TSN.ca site.

[Edited on 2003-6-2 by sakiqc]

Usually rds is the 1st to report every single detail about the Habs even if it's meaningless.

I'd be really surprised if Savard steps down, especially before the draft. Usually there's a lot of wheeling and dealing before/during/shortly after the draft, and Savard himself stated that something could happen at the draft table...

One thing's for sure, it'll be an interesting summer!

Just finished watching it...

McGuire , McKensie and Miller talked about the situation . They mentioned 2 names as possible replacments for Andre Savard if we fired him , Patrick Roy (lol) and Bob Gainey ,... Roy because he's a former Habs legend and Gillett is from Colorado blah blah ... But thats unlikely.

McKensie said that Gainey is the most likely one to replace Savard.

Miller also mentioned that Ken Dryden is on the outs in Toronto (duh) and mentioned his name in connection with Montreal and said it would be weird if Montreal ended up with Gainey and Dryden...

So they're just now reporting the news they've been sitting on for weeks now... these have appeared in papers in Dallas & SJ weeks ago.

Perhaps TSN wanted to wait 'til the move was more imminent before they came out with the "news"?

This would coincide with what a supposed "insider" has been hinting for weeks, that the change would be coming around month end.

The "Roy" angle is just stupid... surprised TSN even mentionned that as a possibility, seriously.

But the Gainey angle has been around since the beginning of time it seems.. no scoop there.

:o Roy ?? WTH

A player retiring and becoming a GM the following year ?? Wow, that's crazy!

Even if I don't like much Roy, I think he took a good decision and he is making the good moves if he wants to be a DG in the NHL (gain experience in minors leagues)

Savard as the scouting part, and Gainey as the player part. I don't know, I can't see Savard staying on as Head of Scouting unless he has a say as GM.

How about Robinson as coach? And Roy as Hamilton's goalie coach (shape Michaud and Goalie 'X' to Vezina candidates). Although the sour taste in our mouths from when Roy went still lingers. But hey, we got 2 Stanley Cups.

And maybe lose Boivin too. Bring in Dryden or Lemieux (:D) to be president.

Boivin is an idiot. I can't get the image of him on that throne looking like an ass out of my head.

:king: crown and all. sheesh.

Thats what the "insider" (who many of us have read posts from on another forum is saying) ...

He says a press conference is going to be called today (To announce the hiring of a new GM etc, I assume)...

Lets see if he's right.

Hossarules said that Roy'll be the GM

Any bets?

I don't think there'll be a new GM. Maybe a new coach, or firing of assistant coaches.

What's the Big Bird doing?

And what is this other board? I want to see. U2U if necessary.

©AussiePosse Inc. Any themes and events are purely fictional. No Hossarules were injured or misquoted or offended in the production of this post

Word is that Trottier will be hired over the off-season. i doubt it

But I don't want Gainey. Savard can go, but only if we get a proven hockey GM in return.

Does anyone have a list of all moves made my Gainey as GM in Dallas? That would really help.

Maybe bring Carbo, Big Bird and Dryden back to MTL as Coach, GM and President.

:clap:

So Gainey as the GM, Savard to Director of Player Personnel. I can live with that.

That would be the ideal. Give AS complete control of the draft board and have Gainey deal with the player personnel. That's two great FO minds dealing with what they're best at.

I've heard that AS has stepped down to a lesser role with the organization.

And Savard as an Assistant-GM

The change will be effective July 1st, so Savard will be in "full" control for the next draft and possible trades.. but would not have the time to sign any UFA hehe

Today is the day?

Thats what the "insider" (who many of us have read posts from on another forum is saying) ...  

He says a press conference is going to be called today (To announce the hiring of a new GM etc, I assume)...  

Lets see if he's right.

Well, the insider was right again hehe

Will Gainey bring Larry Robinson in the coaching staff ?? humm

It would looks like the english remake episode of the ex-habs administration of 1995, when houle and tremblay came in.

The only difference, is that Gainey and Robinson have <i>little more</i> experience :) hehe

Originally posted by Habs77

So they're just now reporting the news they've been sitting on for weeks now... these have appeared in papers in Dallas & SJ weeks ago.

Perhaps TSN wanted to wait 'til the move was more imminent before they came out with the "news"?

This would coincide with what a supposed "insider" has been hinting for weeks, that the change would be coming around month end.

The "Roy" angle is just stupid... surprised TSN even mentionned that as a possibility, seriously.

But the Gainey angle has been around since the beginning of time it seems.. no scoop there.

Well I think I had it exactly right... they waited until it was imminent to go with the story even if it had leaked out weeks ago. And it was Gainey, that Roy angle was window-dressing.

Originally posted by sakiqc

Will Gainey bring Larry Robinson in the coaching staff ?? humm

It would looks like the english remake episode of the ex-habs administration of 1995, when houle and tremblay came in.

The only difference, is that Gainey and Robinson have <i>little more</i> experience :) hehe

I hope not... CJ is a very good coach, and if given the Gainey stamp of approval he'll have the credibility to get this team going.

Whenever the team struggles a little in the future (years from now hopefully) THEN bring in the old class reunion. :) :hlogo:

I promise, George and Pierre, if you can pull this off-- if you can bring in Gainey over Savard without having Savard throw a hissy fit and leave-- then I'll give you at least one season without any whining or complaining. ----- Justathot , June 1st 2003

Lets all hold him to that :D

I know I will...

Anyways... I am looking forward to the Gainey/Savard duo ... Together they can be a force.

- Great to screw the leafs and grab Gainey before they had a chance

- So what happens now with our coaches? CJ deserves to keep his job , Charron/Green should imo be replaced.. (I guess Gainey will "evaluate" them over the next few months)

- Does the Gainey hiring increase our chances of landing UFA's this summer? ... The budget remains the same (I assume) , but we now have a more respected (more known) GM in charge.

[Edited on 2003/6/2 by puck7x]

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Word is that Trottier will be hired over the off-season.  i doubt it

But I don't want Gainey.  Savard can go, but only if we get a proven hockey GM in return.

Does anyone have a list of all moves made my Gainey as GM in Dallas?  That would really help.

Maybe bring Carbo, Big Bird and Dryden back to MTL as Coach, GM and President.

:clap:

What? Trottier hired by who? Not the habs forsure... cant see that happening.

And what is so "unproven" about Gainey? He's been a GM for 10 years , he's won 5 divison titles , 2 presidents trophies , 1 stanley cup (1 other trip to the finals) ...

Among some of his best moves...

Acquiring Sydor for virtually nothing from LA...

Trading K.Hatcher for S.Zubov...

Some of his worst... signing Audette/Turgeon/Lumme .... but at least he admitted he made a mistake and tried to fix it (by trading most of them away)

And one other move which is borderline...

Trading J.Iginla for J.Newy

Newy helped the Stars win the 99 cup and won the MVP ... but did little after that...

Iginla went on to win a scoring title and be an elite power forward.

The deal may look like crap now , but hey ... he WON A CUP because of it.

I'm totally thrilled!

Gainey excels where AS was weak... Trades and Contracts. We still have AS for the draft and to evaluate talent. IMO this is not a demotion for AS... he's still going to have a pretty big impact on things and deservingly so. Audette you can be sure is on his way out if Gainey can move him somehow. I really didn't have many hopes for next year because we're still stuck with a lot of overpaid UFA's to be... but now with Gainey things are looking better... we'll be a great team in 2-3 years... I'm talking top 3 in the confrence. GO HABS GO :hlogo:

I hope Gainey will bring an experienced coach who can work well with kids. I do like Julien but I see him now as an assistant coach and learn from a guy who's been around could be great for him and the Habs

Exciting few months ahead of us for sure!

Did anyone else listen to the conference? I noticed that Gainey (although he admitted to only watching the Habs/Lightning game this year) mentioned Komisarek and Ward, in particular, as promising youngsters. Cool.