Habs Contract Update

Tony

they make great money, and live most people dream..there going to be alot BS....it comes with being a nhl player...of course Martin Brodeur in New Jersey

and 21 year old Luongo in Florida/NYI didnt have the same bs...that why luonge left florida, he want to play in a place that give a shit about hockey, good and the bad..i didnt say trade gui, i said he should still be in the ahl finding his game..not in montreal...he came up to early...like roy said if gui wasnt french he wouldnt off made the team so early, and some of thats true...gui was put in a bad spot. i feel bad for the kid, his going to be a good player...this is why we have a hard time getting good french players to sign...to much BS from the media ...

If Luongo had been surrounded with talent in Florida he would never have left. It has nothing to do with him wanting to go to a market that likes hockey.

Lecavalier re-upped in a shitty hockey market because the Lightning were Contenders at the time, just like any other player in a crappy market.

As for Latendresse, he has 32 career goals before the age of 21 playing essentially on the lower 2 lines with limited power play time. When he was on the top

line with Koivu and Ryder in his rookie season he was a hell of a lot more productive. When he gets A. more ice time B. more PP time his production will

increase. Just like Higgins, just like Ryder, just like Plekanec, just like both Kostitsyn brothers. Go look at Ryder's production this season. His even strength

production never changed, the reduction in PP minutes wiped out his production.

He made the team because he earned it. And in the long run he will be better off for it. When you can learn on the fly in the greatest league in the world

and still remain productive it is a good sign. When he finally understands the positioning, pace and flow of the game and his place in it, he will be very dangerous.

Edited by Wamsley01

Trading Lats at 21 seems absolutely crazy to me. He really should get another 4-5 years before you can truly begin to arrive at some reasonable guess of what he'll be in his prime, which will be about 6-7 years from now (!). The mere fact that he's taking a regular shift in the NHL at that age (and scoring a decent amount considering the lack of PP time) is fairly prodigious in itself.

I've feared all along that the Habs would give up on him too soon - just as we did with Ribeiro and, God helps us, John Leclair - simply because everyone gets sick and tired of waiting around for the guy to get really good. This is the trouble with players that young.

I am amazed at the criticism that Gui and Price take. Exactly 2 years ago they were both playing junior hockey and everybody

was projecting these guys as impact players in 4-5 years. What did I miss here? Don't they still have 3 more years to go?

If Lil TlTs is slow out of the gate next season will he get thrown under the bus as well?

Add to the fact the enormous amount of guys who threw Ribiero under the bus for years and are now angry the Habs gave up on the kid at the age of 26! TWENTY SIX!

I don't like Ribiero and I will not create a revisionist history in which I say I did, but then again I don't care that he is gone.

But do we need to weed through threads stating that if Price does not play well in Game 5 that it will determine his future as a money goalie or that Lats should be traded

because his future projects out as a 3rd line player. Why the impatience? We have already waited 15 years to return to glory. What is another couple years?

Both of you are absolutely right. I've said it before, we have to be extra patient with BIG POWER FORWARDS. They take longer to develop. Like I've said numerous times, and like Cucumber mentionned, Lats probably scored more goals per minute played on this team than anyone else.

Carey will be money! You can bet your next paycheck on that. He might struggle in his second year (like many sophomores do) but in 3 years he will be a top 5 goalie in the NHL...maybe even a top 3 goalie.

The Kostitsyn's will also be around for a long time. Both of them showed signs of what is to come, they just need to get some confidence. I'm expecting great things from Big Tlts next year. His wife and his daughter will have moved to Montreal from Russia, so he will be better able to concentrate on hockey...his mind won't wander off to his wife and daughter who were 10,000km's away last year!

Edited by Habsfan

I'm expecting great things from Big Tlts next year. His wife and his daughter will have moved to Montreal from Russia, so he will be better able to concentrate on hockey...his mind won't wander off to his wife and daughter who were 10,000km's away last year!

The arc of progression isn't always so smooth, so I don't know whether Big T'ts will explode or not...but his family moving to Montreal, that's really good news. It implies improved focus, as you say, and also suggests a commitment to the organization. :clap: I love the idea of these two exciting brothers being a key component of the emerging era in Montreal. Another small example of Bob the Builder doing things right.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryder signing with Pittsburgh.I doubt the Pens will be able to sign Hossa, and Ryder might just fit in to

their plans.

[/quote

His friend Ribero said Ryder would be a perfect fit in Dallas.

Having read some of these posts about trading lats price and whoever else you can think of. The only thing I can say is THANK GOD THAT BOB IS RUNNING THIS TEAM.

If Luongo had been surrounded with talent in Florida he would never have left. It has nothing to do with him wanting to go to a market that likes hockey.

Lecavalier re-upped in a shitty hockey market because the Lightning were Contenders at the time, just like any other player in a crappy market.

As for Latendresse, he has 32 career goals before the age of 21 playing essentially on the lower 2 lines with limited power play time. When he was on the top

line with Koivu and Ryder in his rookie season he was a hell of a lot more productive. When he gets A. more ice time B. more PP time his production will

increase. Just like Higgins, just like Ryder, just like Plekanec, just like both Kostitsyn brothers. Go look at Ryder's production this season. His even strength

production never changed, the reduction in PP minutes wiped out his production.

He made the team because he earned it. And in the long run he will be better off for it. When you can learn on the fly in the greatest league in the world

and still remain productive it is a good sign. When he finally understands the positioning, pace and flow of the game and his place in it, he will be very dangerous.

lecaalier re upped because his old lady loves the sun lol..i agree he going to be a good player when he understands the positioning, pace and flow of the game and his place in it, he will be very dangerous but all iam saying is he should be learn it in the ahl, where he would have more ice time to develop his game...i never said his not going to be good or trade him..

Edited by KEEP26

• 2 weeks later...
Where did you hear that?

I heard on the Team 990 this morning that we might get an announcement before the end of the week.

I read the same thing on Cyberpresse (LaPresse website). Apparently they should come to an agreement by Friday.

Edited by Habsfan

We've extended qualifying offers to Andrei, Locke, Grabovski, Halak, Gorges and O'Byrne.

It doesn't mean much, only that we will retain their rights and receive compensation if anyone were to make them an offer sheet. It seems like Gainey and Meehan are getting closer - we may have to wait until after July 1st to get the rest of them signed but I think Gainey will try and get the defencemen done beforehand.

We've extended qualifying offers to Andrei, Locke, Grabovski, Halak, Gorges and O'Byrne.

It doesn't mean much, only that we will retain their rights and receive compensation if anyone were to make them an offer sheet. It seems like Gainey and Meehan are getting closer - we may have to wait until after July 1st to get the rest of them signed but I think Gainey will try and get the defencemen done beforehand.

what about cafe Lahti... and maybe others arent they getting some QO's? or is it that the habs dont feel they are in danger of getting snatched...or dont mind if they lose them altogether

the finnish Erik cole as gone home. as for the others( milroy, bonneau, coté, degon, archer,danis and biron) I doubt that anyone of them will wear Habs related uniforms next season.

the finnish Erik cole as gone home. as for the others( milroy, bonneau, coté, degon, archer,danis and biron) I doubt that anyone of them will wear Habs related uniforms next season.

Degon, Bonneau, and Lahti are the only 3 of that group that were RFA's. The rest are UFA's, either Group III (27 or older) or Group VI (5 years pro, less than a full NHL season of experience).

We could still offer Lahti a qualifying offer to maintain exclusive rights over him, like how Benoit and Perezhogin are still our exclusive property.

From Pat Hickey: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...4e-d1c94c3a0221

The Canadiens also qualified three minor-leaguers - forwards Janne Lahti and Corey Locke and defenceman Marvin Degon.

According to him Lahti and Degon were qualified. The Canadiens press release (found on canadiens.com) does not include Lahti or Degon on their list of qualified players.

Edited by Talon

I'm freaking out now because Andrei didn't sign yet !!! Comon' Bob !!!!

"Should be completed before July 1," says Hickey...it may go down to the wire, but I can't see that it's in Kosty's own interest to put the Habs in a position where they'll be financially obliged to cut him loose. Stay cool, brother!

I'm freaking out now because Andrei didn't sign yet !!! Comon' Bob !!!!

Worst case scenario: At 11:59, Bob sends in the papers to take Andrei to arbitration. That covers the bases.

Worst case scenario: At 11:59, Bob sends in the papers to take Andrei to arbitration. That covers the bases.

yeah i thought about it. but arbitration sucks, it always ruin the morale of the team or the player.

If that happens, i'd like bob to say to the referee : ok give him the Jeff Carter's deal and let's win a SC !

Let's remember Big O's words of wisdom in a reply to Mike Boone's blog at Habs Inside Out. A team making pitch for Kosty as an RFA will (apparently) be required to give up either one or two first-rounders, a second-round pick and a third-round pick.

Even if we lose the guy, we're getting fair value back, and frankly, teams would have to be nuts to do that for a guy who has played basically one season and gotten 53 points. So maybe we shouldn't be too worried.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber