"Hockey Night" theme song on thin ice

rafikz

Maybe Harper can grow a brain cell and stand up for this like Chretien did with the Snowbirds. Cheap political points gained in a time of popularity crisis works for them and we get our theme back. Is that so hard to do? Maybe someone somewhere will do something.

Maybe Harper can grow a brain cell and stand up for this like Chretien did with the Snowbirds. Cheap political points gained in a time of popularity crisis works for them and we get our theme back. Is that so hard to do? Maybe someone somewhere will do something.

What could Harper do aside from use the bully pulpit?

Well technically it says this is a CBC issue, as Harper being the 'boss' of CBC. He could theoretically 'stop' this from happened.

But hey the sun rises tomorrow this isn't the end of the world.

the article does not make it clear whether the CBC doesn't want it or the other company doesn't want to keep licensing it.

Why they wouldn't want to sell the song, I don't know, but stranger things have happened.

So, did I understand it right? Are they gonna stop using it because they're cheap? Just put it down in the books as marketing for Pete's sake.

I'd say it's great for PR purposes. I live six time zones away from the American east coast and I can hum the song fairly well. It that doesn't mean the PR is working, then I don't know what would.

So, did I understand it right? Are they gonna stop using it because they're cheap? Just put it down in the books as marketing for Pete's sake.

I'd say it's great for PR purposes. I live six time zones away from the American east coast and I can hum the song fairly well. It that doesn't mean the PR is working, then I don't know what would.

Yep, they don't want to pay anymore. Although a CBC rep said yesterday that the song technically wasn't being shelved yet. It was on the front page of the newspaper today and took up two full pages. With the outrage, I just don't see how they can continue with getting rid of it. It reminds me of back in 2002 when Ron Maclean's contract was out and CBC said they wouldn't be renewing it. There was the same kind of public outrage and they eventually signed him to a new deal.

Hell, if they want to save money, fire Cherry. His "I'm better then you" rant during Game 6 was sickening. He gave absolutely no insight at all, instead just saying "I know more about hockey then you" And I'm not even paraphrasing. What a joke.

Hell, if they want to save money, fire Cherry. His "I'm better then you" rant during Game 6 was sickening. He gave absolutely no insight at all, instead just saying "I know more about hockey then you" And I'm not even paraphrasing. What a joke.

Loser cherry does know more about "Too many men on the ice" penalties than you... ^_^

Well technically it says this is a CBC issue, as Harper being the 'boss' of CBC. He could theoretically 'stop' this from happened.

But hey the sun rises tomorrow this isn't the end of the world.

Crown corpororations are run at arm's length from cabinet. For the PM to interfere in ANY CBC matter would be a very grave scandal (after all, if he does it here, how long before he starts vetting their news coverage - ?)

That doesn't change the fact that the CBC is run by a bunch of myopic, drooling nincompoops unworthy of running a backyard BBQ let alone a national institution. In a civilized country they all would have been gathered onto one of those melting Arctic ice floes and been cut loose to die a gradual, excruciating, icy death.

Crown corpororations are run at arm's length from cabinet. For the PM to interfere in ANY CBC matter would be a very grave scandal (after all, if he does it here, how long before he starts vetting their news coverage - ?)

That doesn't change the fact that the CBC is run by a bunch of myopic, drooling nincompoops unworthy of running a backyard BBQ let alone a national institution. In a civilized country they all would have been gathered onto one of those melting Arctic ice floes and been cut loose to die a gradual, excruciating, icy death.

Yeah I'm just thinking about the relationship between BBC World Service and 10 Downing Street...

I'm a defender of the CBC. Yeah they don't know how to market anything, which is blatantly obvious. They absolutely suck at marketing. Their budget maybe bigger then BBC, but CBC has to do things in two languages, BBC doesn't.

Still not defending their marketing skills because it sucks.

No government has cared about the CBC because I don't know how many stories I've read where they cut funding and then CBC has a hit, makes a blip on the radar screen and then governments get interested.

I'm still a believer in that if the CBC goes, English Canada merges into the nearest American region. Its already happened in Vancouver and BC basically. There's no uniformity on anything. From language, to arts, to culture.

it sounds like the company that owned the publishing rights to the song refused to re-up with CBC and went around to see what they could get on the open market. I guess one could term the CBC "cheap" for not matching the CTV bid, but I'm curious to see how much more CTV is paying to use the song under the new licensing scheme. Trying to read between the lines, it seems like the publishing co. wanted an escalation clause based on per-use calculations. In the original article there was some bs about the publishing group complaining about CBC playing the song too much - I'm going to guess that is what they really meant.

I wouldn't be shocked if the publishing co. wanted to get CBC to help market ancillary market distribution (like ring tones) and got better terms from CTV.

Well the word in the paper the other day was that they were looking for the same kind of deal ($500 everytime the song was played) as before and CBC wanted a lesser deal then before (although apparently still offered a "fair six figure" deal).

It doesn't really matter to me, CBC should've done whatever it took. That song is almost as highly thought of, it not more, then the national anthem.

Edited by jetsniper

Oh my god that is funny... serves the CBC right. They have been screwing up hockey in Canada for years now since they became Leaf TV and kept those inept homers on for all the broadcasts.

This is the final insult to them and they deserve it. I would not be surprised to see TSN be the dominate hockey broadcaster in 5 years and CBC be out of it.

Harper is on vacation. He could have scored phony political points and saved the theme. That not even an attempt was made has really made me question this government.

I realize that there is mitigation going on and the CBC makes decisions autonomously from the government. But, for a PM who is supposedly a "hockey expert", I have to ask, "Where were you? Where are you?" :P

The people that are mad at the CBC are mentally challenged.

The fault is on the greedy bitch who wrote the song and on CTV who promptly went and stole it.

Thanks to those a-holes for making every Canadian less Canadian. :puke:

How much $ does CBC need to pay a woman who made 1 song 40 years ago? I'm willing to bet that the amount CTV paid for the song doesnt equal all the $ CBC has already paid for the song.

Why do people think Harper would give a rats ass? Remember he's already tried to sell CBC to his rich friends. Now that CBC has just lost its greatest piece of Canadiana every Canadian will care that much less when Harper does actually sell CBC off for nothing.

Well the word in the paper the other day was that they were looking for the same kind of deal ($500 everytime the song was played) as before and CBC wanted a lesser deal then before (although apparently still offered a "fair six figure" deal).

It doesn't really matter to me, CBC should've done whatever it took. That song is almost as highly thought of, it not more, then the national anthem.

I'd say WAY higher.

Pierre, if you don't get how big of a deal getting rid of that song was then you've really failed to grasp Canadian culture. You don't even have to like hockey to be able to know that song. Canadian cultural icon isn't thrown around lightly and it fights the HNIC theme to a tee. Polls in newspapers and websites had overwhelming majorities that it was a bad idea to get rid of that song (as in 90% and up), petitions were made and sent around, groups were made to rally people together.

The HNIC theme IS Canada dammit and don't you dare forget that.

You've got to hang our with that oddball group who were PE rejects in high school. Who hate any kind of physical activity and not just hockey.

so CTV snatched the rights for all use forever, interesting ~ well at least a big American network didn't swoop in and get it, imagine the reaction if that had happened . . .