"Hockey Night" theme song on thin ice

rafikz

so CTV snatched the rights for all use forever, interesting ~ well at least a big American network didn't swoop in and get it, imagine the reaction if that had happened . . .

CTV=TSN+RDS ?

Does this mean RDS opens Habs games with the new song? hahahha CANADA'S HOCKEY TEAM, HABS!

A big win for TSN, as they bought themselves an identity. I'm not upset the CBC didn't pay 'whatever it takes' to keep it, though. A public network has an obligation to treat tax dollars with respect - and we all know they won't lose 1 viewer because the theme song is different.

I like tradition as much as the next guy, but it's pretty easy to get carried away with sentimentality when things change, as many seem to be doing. A few weeks ago, I wonder what the result would be if Canadians were asked what 'made' HNIC. I'm guessing Coaches Corner/Don Cherry, the Hotstove, Bob Cole, Ron McLean, the logo, and yes, the theme song would all be mentioned, but I doubt the theme song would be in the top 3.

At the end of the day, it's still a song that will be associated with Canadian hockey, and with a network that will be increasingly a part of our viewing habits due to the new deal with TSN. I think the adjustment will be rather painless.

The people that are mad at the CBC are mentally challenged.

The fault is on the greedy bitch who wrote the song and on CTV who promptly went and stole it.

Thanks to those a-holes for making every Canadian less Canadian. :puke:

How much $ does CBC need to pay a woman who made 1 song 40 years ago? I'm willing to bet that the amount CTV paid for the song doesnt equal all the $ CBC has already paid for the song.

Why do people think Harper would give a rats ass? Remember he's already tried to sell CBC to his rich friends. Now that CBC has just lost its greatest piece of Canadiana every Canadian will care that much less when Harper does actually sell CBC off for nothing.

Actually, it is not her directly, but her agency. The issue was that the CBC was selling the song as ring tones and pocketing the money without the rights. They are getting sued and were trying to force them to drop the lawsuit to get the deal done. The licensing agency was willing to sign a deal, but were not going to just drop the suit.

For the record, I am sure that woman has received a lot less over the years then say, Avril Levine has gotten for songs that won't even be remembered in 5 years, let alone 40.

The people that are mad at the CBC are mentally challenged.

The fault is on the greedy bitch who wrote the song and on CTV who promptly went and stole it.

Thanks to those a-holes for making every Canadian less Canadian. :puke:

How much $ does CBC need to pay a woman who made 1 song 40 years ago? I'm willing to bet that the amount CTV paid for the song doesnt equal all the $ CBC has already paid for the song.

Why do people think Harper would give a rats ass? Remember he's already tried to sell CBC to his rich friends. Now that CBC has just lost its greatest piece of Canadiana every Canadian will care that much less when Harper does actually sell CBC off for nothing.

The CBC are blithering idiots. That entire institution has become a complete waste of space. It lacks the courage of its convictions as a public broadcaster, because it's always in a pathetic tizzy over ratings (that's its argument for showing all-Leafs, all the time: supply and demand). This defeats the purpose of having a public broadcaster, which is to serve national purposes that aren't adequately served by the private sector. Meanwhile its too cash-starved and inept to compete effectively in the marketplace. A sad joke.

I can't say I blame the composer. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if CBC soured the milk by trying to play hardball earlier on in the negotiations. Beyond that, she probably isn't rolling in dough - artists seldom are - and is doing what the rest of us would do, namely cashing in on something she created which is in great demand.

The fact is that CBC refused to pay market rate for an iconic asset. That's dumb. The end.

In any case, I don't really give a sh*t; HNIC lost me as a viewer years ago when then they went with their all-Leafs all-the-time format. I've watched RDS ever since, and I'm tickled pink that my hockey experience will now benefit from the theme song that CBC was stupid enough to throw away. F*ck them.

First of all HNIC made Ms. Claman a millionaire... her song is worth pennies without 40 years of high quality programming behind it, and the build up of the national sport CBC has helped build over time. CBC did not produce a hit show because of the song, the song became a hit because of a hit show.

Second of all... CTV acquiring the rights is probably the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of. Who buys another show's theme song and then tries to sell it as their own? This is like if Family Guy had bought The Simpsons theme song. Or Who Wants to Be A Millionaire buying the Jeopardy song... make your own damn tradition, CTV/TSN.

It's an expensive PR stunt and I'm not buying into it. The CBC has done a lot wrong recently, but the fact of the matter is, the NHL is not what it is today without them, and the CFL wouldn't have lasted without them either (the CBC lost the CFL for good starting this year). I think the 2010 Olympic coverage is going to suffer greatly as well. Well, maybe not the 2010, since it is in Canada, but later ones I think will not have the same extensive coverage.

Harper wants the CBC (particularily television) to go away. He's a Fraser Institute approved conservative... the private sector, to him, can do these things better. He couldn't care less about the CBC losing this song, or the rights to Saturday night broadcasts in 2013.

And the CBC would've been roasted if they paid $3m+ for a song.

Edited by saskhab

lol yeah if CBC paid for the song, all the anti-CBC folks would be shouting from the high hills.

Well, I'm sorry, I've been in Canada for 9 months, and I'm moving from the Island to Vancouver in 2 months. I haven't been around anyone who was a hockey fan. Hockey is big in Central Canada, but the Canada I see, has other priorities and doesn't follow it.

lol yeah if CBC paid for the song, all the anti-CBC folks would be shouting from the high hills.

Well, I'm sorry, I've been in Canada for 9 months, and I'm moving from the Island to Vancouver in 2 months. I haven't been around anyone who was a hockey fan. Hockey is big in Central Canada, but the Canada I see, has other priorities and doesn't follow it.

:lol: Trust me, when you get to Vancouver, it will be ALL CANUCKS ALL THE TIME. Enjoy laughing your ass off at these morons. ^_^

Really? lol

I dunno the crowd I'm in usually isn't into the Canucks. More of they laugh at the Canucks.

They just either work a lot, have busy lives, or go camping on the weekends and head into the mountains or go outside walk around and then smoke pot.

Oh I know its Team 1040 24/7.

After listening to that station for most of the day for about a week, I went mad.

The CBC are blithering idiots. That entire institution has become a complete waste of space. It lacks the courage of its convictions as a public broadcaster, because it's always in a pathetic tizzy over ratings (that's its argument for showing all-Leafs, all the time: supply and demand). This defeats the purpose of having a public broadcaster, which is to serve national purposes that aren't adequately served by the private sector. Meanwhile its too cash-starved and inept to compete effectively in the marketplace. A sad joke.

I can't say I blame the composer. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if CBC soured the milk by trying to play hardball earlier on in the negotiations. Beyond that, she probably isn't rolling in dough - artists seldom are - and is doing what the rest of us would do, namely cashing in on something she created which is in great demand.

The fact is that CBC refused to pay market rate for an iconic asset. That's dumb. The end.

In any case, I don't really give a sh*t; HNIC lost me as a viewer years ago when then they went with their all-Leafs all-the-time format. I've watched RDS ever since, and I'm tickled pink that my hockey experience will now benefit from the theme song that CBC was stupid enough to throw away. F*ck them.

This latest controversy over the song finally opened my eyes to how shit the CBC coverage actually is now.

From Cherry's rants about war, left wing political commies etc, to the network covering the Canadiens like they were

the visitor to Cherry dictating their ridiculous praise of Gary Roberts and snubbing Crosby.

Where are the Danny Gallivan's, Dick Irvin's, John Davidson, Don Wittman and Bob Cole's of tomorrow?

Dean Brown, Cassie Campbell, Greg Millen, PJ Stock, Al Strachan, Scott Mellanby, Sean Burke...these are the best of the best?

For every Kelly Hrudey their exists four Greg Millen's.

The CBC used to be innovative, now they rely on the fact that they have been the industry leader for the last

40 years instead of actually earning it.

NBC's Stanley Cup coverage was far superior to CBC's. Mike Emrick and Pierre Maguire actually knew the players names

and offered insight into what was going on during the game.

Now you remove the iconic song in a pissing contest over a couple of million that they are paying for past their prime

icons Ron Maclean, Don Cherry and Bob Cole? The song is worth what CTV paid for it and not the paltry $56K that CBC

paid out last season. As for wasting tax payers dollars and them being responsible. Ask any Canadian if they would prefer

the CBC to throw $2M away on MVP? or to keep the HNIC theme? Please, they are not being responsible with tax payers money,

they are just inept.

I will miss Kelly Hrudey and that is it. The fact that RDS will be using it and TSN for their 14 Habs games next season means

I will actually get to hear it more.

Scott Moore has proven to be an arrogant SOB in every interview I have heard and I look forward to the

$100,000 disaster that they will thrust upon the public come October.

four

Edited by Wamsley01