The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

I need somewhere to talk CFL football and the other one was inexplicably closed. Calgary and Edmonton get it on at McMahon tomorrow night in our first pre-season game. It should be a good test for our O-Line which is probably the biggest question mark going into the season. Tsoumpas, who we drafted 2nd overall in May, has basically been handed a starting role after the injuries ran through the team. We picked 3rd overall as well and took another lineman in Jesse Newman but he injured his groing and is going to be out for a couple more weeks.

New personnel changes as well, which I think were for the better although the team didn't handle it very well. Old Stampeders QB John Hufnagel comes in to coach the team who has had nothing but glowing reviews. He was recently the New York Giants offensive coordinator and with his CFL experience, has the potential to be a very good coach. We also stole one of the best defensive coordinators in the CFL from Montreal in Chris Jones. His units usually end up top 3 in the league so I'm looking forward to what he can put together by next season. One of the bigger things they're trying is WR Marcus Howell playing CB. They're not sure if he's going to make it at this point as a CB, they want to see how he does in an actual game first so his play will be another thing to watch.

Offensively, the biggest news was Dave Dickenson coming home to back up the true MOP Henry Burris. Had Burris not been injured for 5 games last season, the trophy would've been his hands down. I still thought he deserved it but meh. Calgary could never find a reliable back-up last year and went 0-5 in the games Burris didn't play, thats where Dickenson comes in. Hopefully all we need is his leadership and guidance for Burris who has already learned from another of the games greats when Danny MacManus was the backup a few years ago.

The offense should continue to be the best in the league, depending on how quickly the O-Line gels together. Defensively, if Chris Jones can get them to play atleast moderately better then the Stampeders have a real good shot at getting to the Grey Cup. And finally, I'll end this with a quote from Chris Schultz which I kinda liked even though I don't like him.

Being head coach of the Stampeders may be the best job in CFL football. The city is great, the province is prosperous, the fans are dedicated and the talent is present right now.

Mods, feel free to merge and unlock the CFL thread Pierre created. I still don't know why it was closed.

Edited by jetsniper

First pre-season game last night against Edmonton and Calgary took it in a rout 39-14. All the important people looked great. Burris and Dickenson were hitting everyone in sight and Tsoumpas was opening up huge holes for everyone to walk through. The best surprise for me was how well Miguel Robede played. We took him 1st overall and he was putting some good pressure on whoever they played at QB.

Albeit though, Edmonton did leave most of their best players at home.

montreal tied Toronto 34-34 the other day. many predict a bad season for montreal but I think they'll do better than expected.

I'll soon be looking for grey cup tickets, it's in mtl this year.

montreal tied Toronto 34-34 the other day. many predict a bad season for montreal but I think they'll do better than expected.

I'll soon be looking for grey cup tickets, it's in mtl this year.

Yeah, Calgary is hosting the Grey Cup next year so I'm going to try and go again. I was at the last one we hosted in 2000 when B.C. beat Montreal.

Oh yeah, Howell picked off Jason Maas in the 3rd quarter so it looks like that experiment is possibly going to work.

Edited by jetsniper

I've been a fringe CFL fan for years but Im hoping now that Im living in the city here in Toronto to make it out to a few Argo's games. With Joseph at QB they should have a pretty good team this year.

why?

Don't really know. I used to love the players for Alouettes. Now I'm sick of Calvillo and I don't follow the game that much. Soccer replaced football since 2005 for me...

• 2 weeks later...

Big win for the Als tonight. I only got to see the first quarter and a bit but we really moved the ball well and could have blown them out early if we executed a little better in the red zone. And all that was without a bunch of skill players on O, namely Payton and Cahooooon.

As far as fan interest goes, I haven't been as into the CFL the past couple years as I have been in the past (my interest in football in general has dropped somewhat from a few years ago.) The CFL won me back after I went to last year's Grey Cup in Toronto, and I'm hoping i'll have the money to make a trip out to Montreal for this year's game.

Massive win for the Stamps tonight, I only saw the second half since TSN was showing The Joy Luck Club during the first half (wtf. I know the Stamps blacked the game out in Calgary but The Sports Network replaces it with...The Joy Luck Club?) but I did listen to the first half on the radio.

The Lions were a good first test since in our last 10 games against BC, we're 1-8-1. They've pretty much dominated us since Buono went there. The big question marks going into the season were the O-Line and the defence and both were answered pretty emphatically. The Lions didn't manage one sack and Burris was given a lot of time to work his magic (and what a game he had).

On the other side of the ball, Chris Jones could be our biggest pickup of the offseason. We forced the Lions to go back and forth between Pierce and Jackson and neither looked very comfortable. This was a brand new defensive unit as well as we cut 8 starters from last year and only 2 starters were on the team last year.

We were the best team all night long and dominated the Lions (who don't look like they're going to have a very good season if they play like that. Which should be good news for the Stamps since the Riders and Eskimos don't look great either) but that TD with 23 seconds left for BC kind of shrouds how the game actually went.

I'm officially excited for the season, what a fantastic game by Calgary. It couldn't of gone any better.

I'm too disgusted with our defensive coverage to even give any insight into the game.

I'll put it this way, Calgary scores with 1:38 left in the game to go up by 4.

And 40 seconds later, Edmonton scores to go back up by 3.

Follow that up with a Burris INT.

:puke: :puke: :puke:

Oh noes, Calgary lost to Edmonton.

Bad News, I can't watch any games cuz I'm out of the country, good news I'll be in Van, which means I could see a game if I wanted to. awesome.

Although I'll probably go to SFU vs. UBC football game and UBC stuff and Giants

Edited by Pierre the Great

It wouldn't even of mattered if we hadn't of played like utter shit in the first half.

Or if Rambo had of held onto the damn ball midway through the 4th quarter. It would've been first and goal on the 9 instead of 3rd and 10 at midfield.

We had every chance to win that game and couldn't, mostly because we couldn't cover their receivers if our life depended on it. Dammit, I'm gonna be pissed off for most of tomorrow now.

Bah get them next time, its really early in the season.

Yeah, I'm hoping our corners can get better as the season goes on because right now they look like they're going to be the death of us.

I hope BC can beat Saskatchewan tonight so the West is all even at least.

how fast things can change..31-24 mtl. tons of time for winnipeg to come back.

After some good second half adjustments, Calgary pulls out an impressive win over Montreal 23-19. It was another rough first half but the secondary really shut it down on Calvillo and the defensive line kept the pressure on all game long (we lead the CFL in sacks for the time being)

We still have discipline and turnover issues however (Burris' fumble in the first quarter was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen) but Jones managed to make some really good adjustments, like I said.

Also, Brett Ralph is the man. And I wish Brandon Browner played for someone else.

Love the non-reply to the Montreal game. :P

Instead of having to play catch up, we fired on all cylinders for the entire game and won 43-16. Like all the critics are saying, Calgary looks like the most complete team in the CFL. Our seconday has improved greatly since that Edmonton game and we're looking like a tough team to beat. All the coaching changes have proven to be A+ moves so far.

Also, Casey Printers looks like a massive one hit wonder.