The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

I'll give Duval credit - no matter how many times he could've blown the game (and there were many), he nailed the kick when we needed it most (on his 2nd attempt). Eating a little crow on my Cobourne bashing, he actually came to play this game.

What a finish, one for the ages!

The silence after the kick went through the uprights was delicious.

Calgary wins it on Montreal turf, Montreal wins it on Calgary turf. Works for me.

Except that we didn't be Calgary in Calgary, and the Stamps kicked the Als's butts in Montreal

Thank God, I woke up at 3am; spent money to watch a crappy chopped up broadcast, but finally at the last minute the Als won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

What a finish! The boys pulled through in the end! A finish for the ages! Calvillon won't have to retire as a choker!

Go als Go!

That's two championships for the city of Montréal this year(the Impact and the Als)...will the Habs make it three??? ;);)

Edited by Habsfan

YYEEEEEAHHHHH !!!!

Sweeney Todd in Regina !!!! I mean, heads rolling, 13 players on the field HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!

Disgusting game, but they got balls and lot of courage and caracter to come up big in the last 5 minutes !!!!

Missed a 2pts conversion, missed a field goal, but WHAT A FINNISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calling in sick for the parade !! YEAH !!!!

I'll give Duval credit - no matter how many times he could've blown the game (and there were many), he nailed the kick when we needed it most (on his 2nd attempt). Eating a little crow on my Cobourne bashing, he actually came to play this game.

What a finish, one for the ages!

A-ma-zing wow

Must have felt unreal to be able to kick again. a 2nd chance like that. from fail to hero

My cousin (big Riders fan) is being the sorest loser ever, it's hilarious. I figured losing would suit him since he's a Leafs fan too!

Another big congrats to the Als and their fans. You just made my life a whole lot easier.

My dad is a huge Als fan and came in town to watch the game with me. All game long I kept telling him how the Als were choking. Everything they possibly could have done to lose the game, they did it.

Yet they come back from a 17 pts deficit in the 4th quarter and win in dramatic fashion on a TOO MANY MEN on the field. On a 2nd kick by Duval who screwed up all game and had missed the previous kick. I mean, come on! You couldnt even script something like this!!!

That ending summarized what I think about the CFL: Mickey Mouse. Really? Too many men to cost you the Grey Cup? That's the pinnacle of unprofessional.

On the other hand, you just have to feel for the Riders. There they were jumping and celebrating a Grey Cup victory, only to have it called back and see it slip away. That's not just crushing, that's devastating. Think any of them slept last night? Think any of them will be speaking much in the next month, other than what's forced from them?

That ending summarized what I think about the CFL: Mickey Mouse. Really? Too many men to cost you the Grey Cup? That's the pinnacle of unprofessional.

Stuff like that happens in the NFL, plus their replay system is completely bogus. A third of the time they make the right decision. Another third of the time they make the call that is most obvious that they can't make. The final third of the time they come out with a decision completely out of left field.

P.S. Has that special teams coach been fired yet? Haha

You must not be familiar with, among others, Jim Marshall, Leon Lett or Dwayne Rudd?

Nope. But then again, I've always found the CFL to be very MM. That's just me, though. I understand it's a great game in its own right, I'm just not a fan. At all. I tend to come into this thread now and again to rib - particularly Jets, because he makes it so much fun :P - but I do realize that the CFL has a place.

What I'd like to see/hear, is that they've FINALLY started figuring out their financial woes and that all 8 teams (only 8!!!) are on solid footing. I don't want another team in Ottawa because it's going to fail regardless. I'd like to see better development in the talent of the league, and I'd like to see/hear better marketing from the league. I realize we're comparing apples to oranges with the C/NFL's, but the difference is extraordinary when it comes to the allure of the game. My wife, who doesn't like football at all, can still sit and watch a few minutes of the glitz, glamour and passion of the NFL. She finds the CFL very neutered in comparison.

Just my opinion, and I'm sorry if I offend with it.

You must not be familiar with, among others, Jim Marshall, Leon Lett or Dwayne Rudd?
Nope.

Leon Lett, Superbowl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1G-Dn7nUs

Leon Lett, Thanksgiving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JcuWgSH4s (about the 1 minute mark)

Jim Marshall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IBkQoXNvbA...feature=related

Dan Orlovsky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQXbcyIhmZk...feature=related

Dwayne Rudd: Can't find a video, but he took his helmet off in celebration while the last play of the game was going on. Personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, and since a game can't end on a defensive penalty, the other team was now in FG position with an untimed down and made it.

Well, in defense of my thesis, (and not knowing the outcome of the Marshall blunder) none of the other blunders actually cost a Super Bowl. And they were all on-field blunders, not *gasp* simple substitution blunders. I mean, how long did the Riders have to count their players?

I realize we're comparing apples to oranges with the C/NFL's, but the difference is extraordinary when it comes to the allure of the game. My wife, who doesn't like football at all, can still sit and watch a few minutes of the glitz, glamour and passion of the NFL. She finds the CFL very neutered in comparison.

I don't want to turn this into a big CFL/NFL argument. I prefer the NFL but enjoy both.

But one of the things that I often dislike about the NFL is the glitz and glamour component. The Super Bowl, for example, isn't even about the game anymore. It's about the commercials, the half-time show, the two week buildup, and then at the end of the line it's about the 3 hours where they actually play football.

I find the Grey Cup is still about the football when it comes down to it. Just my opinion anyway.

As for Jim Marshall, poor guy, despite an incredible iron man streak and a great career as a prominent member of the Purple People Eaters, he's probably still more well known as "Wrong Way". Hilarious clip though.

Well, in defense of my thesis, (and not knowing the outcome of the Marshall blunder) none of the other blunders actually cost a Super Bowl. And they were all on-field blunders, not *gasp* simple substitution blunders. I mean, how long did the Riders have to count their players?

It's Saskatchewan, you think they teach Math there?

Nope. But then again, I've always found the CFL to be very MM. That's just me, though. I understand it's a great game in its own right, I'm just not a fan. At all. I tend to come into this thread now and again to rib - particularly Jets, because he makes it so much fun :P - but I do realize that the CFL has a place.

What I'd like to see/hear, is that they've FINALLY started figuring out their financial woes and that all 8 teams (only 8!!!) are on solid footing. I don't want another team in Ottawa because it's going to fail regardless. I'd like to see better development in the talent of the league, and I'd like to see/hear better marketing from the league. I realize we're comparing apples to oranges with the C/NFL's, but the difference is extraordinary when it comes to the allure of the game. My wife, who doesn't like football at all, can still sit and watch a few minutes of the glitz, glamour and passion of the NFL. She finds the CFL very neutered in comparison.

Just my opinion, and I'm sorry if I offend with it.

Odd that you felt the need to repeat the fact that the league has 8 teams, like that's relevant. Canada doesn't have alot of big cities, so what??

Odd that you felt the need to repeat the fact that the league has 8 teams, like that's relevant. Canada doesn't have alot of big cities, so what??

So they can't keep 8 franchises in the black despite the league being a pauper zone for players. Which means their marketing sucks eggs.

So they can't keep 8 franchises in the black despite the league being a pauper zone for players. Which means their marketing sucks eggs.

The reason I don't think it is as popular as it could be is the lack of excitement during the regular season. I mean when did the Als clinch a playoff spot? early September? And even then, after a 4-0 start we could have actually gone 4-15 and made the playoffs. I'd like to see them lower it to 4 teams, or at the very least add two teams to make it 6 out of 10 in the playoffs.

Having said that, the Grey Cup got massive ratings for TSN/RDS, showing that people will watch when the games are important.