The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

Here's hoping there's a "Do not name yourself coach under any circumstance" clause in the deal. He's a great talent evaluator but a terrible coach. I'm hoping he sticks to his strengths, even if/when Trestman heads to the NFL.

:lol: I agree.

Well, the Als D was sure on the field a lot last week. Whole lot of good that did. :angry:

Riders have played from behind all season. They've dominated every second half save for the Calgary debacle... but have always been behind after a quarter and only once had the lead at the half. Not sure what to make of that... based on their second halfs, they should be far and away the top team in the CFL.

Well, the Als D was sure on the field a lot last week. Whole lot of good that did. :angry:

Riders have played from behind all season. They've dominated every second half save for the Calgary debacle... but have always been behind after a quarter and only once had the lead at the half. Not sure what to make of that... based on their second halfs, they should be far and away the top team in the CFL.

too bad a football game last 4 quarters :P

Probably means Berry (the OC) is good at making halftime adjustments. Come to think of it, he was pretty good at that when he was with the Als a while back too. Evidently, he's not too good at coming up with the original game plan though. :)

Calvillo is going to play tomorrow but isn't 100%. Here's hoping the Als get enough of a lead that they can pull him and let Leak actually get to throw the ball...like any other quarterback that plays for a team not named the Alouettes. (I really wish they'd let the backups actually pass once in a while rather than just work on handing off the ball.)

Bratton's set to return as well which is good news, though Estelle is questionable which isn't; if he's out, Dix is in which means Lemon's going to have a field day throwing to his side of the field.

Bratton's set to return as well which is good news, though Estelle is questionable which isn't; if he's out, Dix is in which means Lemon's going to have a field day throwing to his side of the field.

Estelle is in but Dix has still managed to essentially cost the team a pair of majors so far - on the Lucas one, he knocked his own defender out of the way who was in position for the tackle and it was his PI penalty that made it 1st and goal at the 1 for the Argos' 2nd TD. Calvillo is clearly not 100% healthy and Cobourne's back to his typical 2-3 yard rushing self. As bad as it is, it's still only a 10-point deficit at the half, 24-14 Argos.

Congrats to Cahoon for moving into sole possession of 2nd place in all-time CFL receptions. If he can stay healthy and be used a little more in the offence, he should pass ex-Alouette Terry Vaughn for the record this season.

Edit: Dix blows the coverage on yet another Toronto TD for the trifecta. One can only hope management realizes that mediocre special teamers don't often make for good corners (or any sort of DB).

Cobourne's a no-go tonight for the Als (I find this good news after his embarrassing play last game). Accordingly, Montreal has 2 rushing plays in the first half - neither by a running back despite a replacement being dressed. Can't say I saw that coming.

Calvillo hurt and sent to hospital. Though it's 24-7 at the half, this one's far from over as I don't see the offence putting up too many more points.

• 3 weeks later...

No one knows for sure who the starter for the Als will be against the Ti-Cats but we know it won't be Leak. If Calvillo can go, he'll start, otherwise McPherson goes straight from the 9-game IR to being thrown into the fire. (I get a sinking feeling just thinking about this game, no offence to McPherson but he's clearly going to be rusty which means we could be in for a repeat of Friday).

Also, a bit of a scare for Walter Spencer, a special teamer (leads the Als in tackles in that department) as he's in serious but stable condition in the hospital after being hit in the head with a blunt object (I'm guessing some sort of broken bottle since it was in a bar).

http://www.rds.ca/alouettes/chroniques/305767.html

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted for the Alouettes: Kicker who can hit better than a ~70% average. If Duval wasn't the president's son in law, would he still be with the team? Probably not...

Defence isn't looking too pretty either (Dix with another trademark blown coverage resulting in a TD), Bombers with 26 points at the half. 26 in a game is bad but at the half? Ouch.

The Als get another notable injury as Watkins is almost assuredly gone for the season as he was placed on the 9-game IR. Good thing Hawkins is healthy again, he'll see some time on offence now, possibly Desriveaux as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Ben Cahoon for passing former Alouette Terry Vaughn for first place on the CFL's All-Time Receptions list with 1,007.

Also, congrats to the Als for getting their revenge on the Stamps with a decisive 46-17 victory. I was impressed with Colt David, the new kicker, at least with his FG attempts. To be quite honest, I wouldn't be too upset if Duval missed next week to give this guy another look. He does have to work on his punting though.

Congrats to Ben Cahoon for passing former Alouette Terry Vaughn for first place on the CFL's All-Time Receptions list with 1,007.

Also, congrats to the Als for getting their revenge on the Stamps with a decisive 46-17 victory. I was impressed with Colt David, the new kicker, at least with his FG attempts. To be quite honest, I wouldn't be too upset if Duval missed next week to give this guy another look. He does have to work on his punting though.

:clap::clap: Always been one of my favorites players. My name is Ben Cahoon, and I'm a mormon. :D

Just found out that I'm going to the game against the Bombers on sunday.... for free !!!! YEAH !

Congrats...I'm happy too - no Duval again this week! News like that is almost worth bringing back the dancing banana...but I'm too lazy to look for it. :)

Congrats...I'm happy too - no Duval again this week! News like that is almost worth bringing back the dancing banana...but I'm too lazy to look for it. :)

The sub punter sucked, but we still won !!! :clap:

Larry Taylor grudgingly reports to the Als after waiting the full 10-day period...and then some, allegedly wanting an extension simply to report (which both sides deny of course). As much as Maypray and Vann have struggled, I think I'd prefer them than a disgruntled player who only reported because the Als were the only place he could go.

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article/larry-taylor-returns

Larry Taylor grudgingly reports to the Als after waiting the full 10-day period...and then some, allegedly wanting an extension simply to report (which both sides deny of course). As much as Maypray and Vann have struggled, I think I'd prefer them than a disgruntled player who only reported because the Als were the only place he could go.

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article/larry-taylor-returns

I think a period of disappointment is kind of normal for any player after getting cut. As long as he performs on the field, and doesnt cause probs off it, I will be ecstatic. The Als definitely needed a pick-me up.

I think a period of disappointment is kind of normal for any player after getting cut. As long as he performs on the field, and doesnt cause probs off it, I will be ecstatic. The Als definitely needed a pick-me up.

The 10-day wait period is the period of disappointment...that period expired long before the last game and he still refused to report then. I'd personally leave Vann in there, he's getting more comfortable by the game. With the Als not giving him an extension, Taylor becomes a free agent at the end of the year and given what's happened, he's not coming back.

The good news: Watkins returns tomorrow vs the Argos. The bad? Hawkins sits so that Taylor can suit up - reward Hawkins for his good play by benching him for a player who came back kicking and screaming figuratively speaking. Taylor better be good and fast - knowing he won't be back next year, the patience level shouldn't be too high with him.

Cobourne, Duval, Ferri, and Estelle are also expected to play.

The good, the bad, and the ugly from last night's game:

The good:

Defence* holds Boyd under 100 yards rushing, Lemon under 200 yards passing

Quite the comeback/ending, it's never over until it's over, that's for sure

Ball possession - about 66% Als

The bad:

Special teams...or lack thereof (no coverage on returns either way)

Defence* for giving up the big play time and time again

Duval - the 3 weeks off obviously didn't teach him how to kick...or tackle (at least he caught the ball at the end)

The ugly:

White pants - don't like them...helmets looked sharp by contrast

3 FG's inside the 20 means the red zone offense continues to be stagnant

The poetic justice:

Taylor gets hurt in the 1st quarter with a rib injury...I couldn't help but laugh, serves you right for not reporting when you should have (when the 10-day period ended)

It'll be an interesting game today for the Als, who are sitting Calvillo, Cahoon, Richardson, Watkins, Cobourne, plus a few others who are nicked a bit (Ferri, Proulx, Taylor). Several players will be making their Als debut today; that, coupled with MacPherson actually getting to run the playbook are about the only reasons I'm compelled to watch this game. The Argos are sitting a few regulars as well, including Boyd, Owens, Middlebrooks, Parker, and Crawford, so it's not as if it's the Argos' 'A' team vs the Als' 'B' squad.

It'll be an interesting game today for the Als, who are sitting Calvillo, Cahoon, Richardson, Watkins, Cobourne, plus a few others who are nicked a bit (Ferri, Proulx, Taylor). Several players will be making their Als debut today; that, coupled with MacPherson actually getting to run the playbook are about the only reasons I'm compelled to watch this game. The Argos are sitting a few regulars as well, including Boyd, Owens, Middlebrooks, Parker, and Crawford, so it's not as if it's the Argos' 'A' team vs the Als' 'B' squad.

Well that turned out to be a mistake...boy, that was ugly.