The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

13 players can become free agents from the Alouettes (excluding options):

Anthony Calvillo, Chris Leak, Avon Cobourne, Danny Desriveaux, S.J. Green, Andrew Hawkins, J.P. Bekasiak, Shawn Mayne, Anwar Stewart, Chip Cox, Jerald Brown, Martin Bedard, and Damon Duval.

Of those, I think Green/Cox will once again head south to try their hand at NFL camps, but if cut, I think Cox will come back, not Green though. For Calvillo, he'll either come back or retire, I suspect the same for Stewart. Desriveaux and Hawkins are as good as gone, hopefully Duval as well. Personally speaking, this'd be the best time to cut ties with Cobourne too, I think he'll command much too high of a salary for a team who doesn't run the ball a whole lot.

In bold, those I'd like to see back with the team. I don't really care about the rest.

In bold, those I'd like to see back with the team. I don't really care about the rest.

Anthony Calvillo, Chris Leak, Avon Cobourne, Danny Desriveaux, S.J. Green, Andrew Hawkins, J.P. Bekasiak, Shawn Mayne, Anwar Stewart, Chip Cox, Jerald Brown, Martin Bedard, and Damon Duval.

Ideally, I would like to see almost all of those players back with the Als. I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Cobourne, chris leak still has value @ #3. Desriveaux is a good French Canadian reciever who just needs a chance to play. Hawkins can be dynamic if he gets the ball. Bekasiak came in and played wonderfully. Cavillo, Stewart, Cox and Brown are without question on my team if we can keep them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see cox and green try --and stick-- in the NFL. I don't know or care much about Mayne or Bedard.

Duval is another story. I will be very disappointed if I ever see him in an Als uniform again

Ideally, I would like to see almost all of those players back with the Als. I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Cobourne, chris leak still has value @ #3. Desriveaux is a good French Canadian reciever who just needs a chance to play. Hawkins can be dynamic if he gets the ball. Bekasiak came in and played wonderfully. Cavillo, Stewart, Cox and Brown are without question on my team if we can keep them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see cox and green try --and stick-- in the NFL. I don't know or care much about Mayne or Bedard.

Duval is another story. I will be very disappointed if I ever see him in an Als uniform again

Desriveaux will stay if Cahoon retires - if Cahoon stays, he'll move on as Desriveaux is the Canadian SB behind Cahoon. 2 years ago, I thought he'd be the next great receiver, but he has regressed since then. Bekasiak did a great job, I hope they make a point of getting him signed quickly, he's an NI as well. I'm not sure Leak will stick around - if Calvillo has to retire, sure, but I could honestly see them keeping Santos as the #3 instead. Bedard was a 2nd round pick 2 years ago, drafted as a TE but basically is the team's long snapper and plays primarily special teams - I'd like him to stay as well.

As for Cobourne, if you read back through this thread, I've advocated for him to be let go several times. I don't like his attitude (complaining about playing time on a bi-weekly basis) and if I had to guess, I'd suggest 60% of his runs are for 3 yards or under. His biggest value to the Als is his receiving ability...that's all well and good when you're a receiver but he's the running back. There will be cheaper options out there that probably won't whine as much either.

I, for one, doesn't care at all about Als use of the RB until we change the strategy.

I will go for an average runner with very good receiver skills (aka Cobourne) anyday before any other type of RB if it is the strategy the coach wants to use.

I, for one, doesn't care at all about Als use of the RB until we change the strategy.

I will go for an average runner with very good receiver skills (aka Cobourne) anyday before any other type of RB if it is the strategy the coach wants to use.

But if the strategy is to use the RB only a little, why pay an exorbitant amount for one? I suspect Cobourne will be demanding to be amongst the highest paid backs in the league, if not the highest paid (since Boyd's contract isn't up). When you've got so many guys to re-sign at raises, does it make sense to pay that much for someone who won't be used much? (Especially one who whines incessantly about playing time...) There will be college backs and other CFL FA's who are decent receivers, can still run reasonably well, and cost half of what Cobourne will.

But if the strategy is to use the RB only a little, why pay an exorbitant amount for one? I suspect Cobourne will be demanding to be amongst the highest paid backs in the league, if not the highest paid (since Boyd's contract isn't up). When you've got so many guys to re-sign at raises, does it make sense to pay that much for someone who won't be used much? (Especially one who whines incessantly about playing time...) There will be college backs and other CFL FA's who are decent receivers, can still run reasonably well, and cost half of what Cobourne will.

I don't say that I really want Cobourne back. What i'm saying is that if the strategy remains the same (using the RD as a tight end 50+% of the time) and that no one is as good as Cobourne, then we should pay for one more season.

Buf if Popp finds someone who's as good as him as a receiver or if Trestman leaves or if the strategy changes, then we should not pay him, that's right.

Buf if Popp finds someone who's as good as him as a receiver or if Trestman leaves or if the strategy changes, then we should not pay him, that's right.

You hit on something big there, a strategy change. Regardless of Calvillo's immediate future, the time will come either this coming season or soon after where MacPherson (or someone else) gets the nod at QB. Then they'll be running the ball a lot more, and the only RB on the roster who has shown he can handle frequent run loads is Diedrick...and that's only at the end of games where he gets 10 straight carries. That's why I think the time may be right to get a more prototypical RB, even if it may be a year too early. You can always teach a RB receiving skills, just ask Arkee Whitlock in Edmonton.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent, someone else got the Miami job, Trestman stays for now. What is interesting to note is that he did interview for the position which suggests he was genuinely interested in taking the position and leaving the Als. That part concerns me some. Oh well, he's still around...for now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5912786

• 3 weeks later...

Former Alouette Tony Proudfoot passed away today after a lengthy battle with ALS. He was quite the inspiration when he was diagnosed a few years back and raised a ton of money for ALS research. I obviously never met the guy but always paid attention when his name was in the news, it was almost always a feel good story, a few of which are in the Gazette article below. RIP, Tony.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Form...5473/story.html

• 2 weeks later...

Als have been busy lately, re-signing Cox (3+1), Bowman (3) and Bekasiak (2+1?). They also acquired ex-NFL'er Mike Labinjo from Calgary for future considerations. Pretty cheap price, despite the injury woes. Pretty good offseason so far, I'd say.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=349109

Andrew Hawkins is off to the NFL though, signing a 2 year contract with St. Louis.

Als have been busy lately, re-signing Cox (3+1), Bowman (3) and Bekasiak (2+1?). They also acquired ex-NFL'er Mike Labinjo from Calgary for future considerations. Pretty cheap price, despite the injury woes. Pretty good offseason so far, I'd say.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=349109

Andrew Hawkins is off to the NFL though, signing a 2 year contract with St. Louis.

They also signed Prechae Rodriguez a potential replacement for Cahoon or more likely SJ Green. I can't say I will miss Hawkins much... he had great potential but never realized it with the Als.

I think J. Popp is doing an excellent job of retaining and replenishing the talent

They also signed Prechae Rodriguez a potential replacement for Cahoon or more likely SJ Green. I can't say I will miss Hawkins much... he had great potential but never realized it with the Als.

I think J. Popp is doing an excellent job of retaining and replenishing the talent

I'm not convinced Rodriguez makes the team, honestly. He was awful with the Riders last season before being outright released. I think he's insurance on Green more than Cahoon (NI) and I do think Green will again give the NFL a look.

Als lose their defensive coordinator to the Bombers. Really, leave the 2-time Grey Cup Champs to go to the Bombers? Odd, especially after he was shot down to be their head coach last season. Oh well. Considering how iffy the D was at times last year, this may not be too bad. Tim Tibesar will likely be named the new D-Coordinator.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=349846

Bit of a surprise to me considering what I just posted yesterday but SJ Green is staying with the Als, signing a 2+1 contract. Newly acquired Mike Labinjo failed his medical, rescinding that deal. Als also release a long-time member, Paul Lambert. With the Canadian LBJ (Luc Brodeur-Jourdain) doing well at centre at the end of the year, they can put that money towards someone else. Reports from today about Cahoon retiring are premature.

Bit of a surprise to me considering what I just posted yesterday but SJ Green is staying with the Als, signing a 2+1 contract. Newly acquired Mike Labinjo failed his medical, rescinding that deal. Als also release a long-time member, Paul Lambert. With the Canadian LBJ (Luc Brodeur-Jourdain) doing well at centre at the end of the year, they can put that money towards someone else. Reports from today about Cahoon retiring are premature.

I have to admit that, if I was Cahoon, I wout totally retire. In a good shape, back to back Grey Cups = retiring on top.

Als lose their defensive coordinator to the Bombers. Really, leave the 2-time Grey Cup Champs to go to the Bombers? Odd, especially after he was shot down to be their head coach last season. Oh well. Considering how iffy the D was at times last year, this may not be too bad. Tim Tibesar will likely be named the new D-Coordinator.

I was right, Tibesar was named Defensive Coordinator today. Also rumblings that Ray Lalonde, out as Habs' VP of Marketing, will take over as club president, replacing Larry Smith. Anwar Stewart re-signed Friday as well. The busy offseason continues.

I was right, Tibesar was named Defensive Coordinator today. Also rumblings that Ray Lalonde, out as Habs' VP of Marketing, will take over as club president, replacing Larry Smith. Anwar Stewart re-signed Friday as well. The busy offseason continues.

Wouldn't hurt Als's marketing. Lalonde did a good job with the Habs.

A few CFL'ers already have found their way south...

- CB Brandon Browner (CGY) - Seattle

- DL Tom Johnson (CGY) - New Orleans

- WR Emmanuel Arceneaux (BC) - Minnesota (should be announced tomorrow)

Plus, SB Andy Fantuz (SSK) is expected to sign with the Steelers. So far, so good in terms of Alouettes jumping ship but Josh Bourke will probably get a deal at some point...such as the speculation right now at least.

A few CFL'ers already have found their way south...

- CB Brandon Browner (CGY) - Seattle

- DL Tom Johnson (CGY) - New Orleans

- WR Emmanuel Arceneaux (BC) - Minnesota (should be announced tomorrow)

Plus, SB Andy Fantuz (SSK) is expected to sign with the Steelers. So far, so good in terms of Alouettes jumping ship but Josh Bourke will probably get a deal at some point...such as the speculation right now at least.

Steelers? Damn, was hoping for the Bears if anyone.

Deal's not done yet, this is where I found that little tidbit: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=350561

Yeah, it's said to be done, awaiting the end of the Steelers season to make the announcement. Of course, if there's a lockout, there could be a bunch of NFLers coming to the CFL. I wonder what would happen in that case...

BTW, CFL announced the expansion draft rules for when Ottawa joins in 2013. You can only protect one QB (as opposed to 2 the last time), and ten other imports. Then there will be two rounds of non-import selections, the first you can only protect six players total (eight if you had a QB picked, 7 if you had a punter/kicker picked). Ottawa will then pick one guy from each team, and then a second round will occur in which teams can add six more players to their protected list.

Ottawa will also be able to start building a negotiation list as of 2012, and will make four selections in the 2012 draft (of NCAA red-shirted players in the later rounds only).

http://www.cfl.ca/article/expansion-draft-plan-approved

Meanwhile, lineman Mike Abou-Mechrek bemoans the fact that the CFL feels it needs Ottawa:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Ottawa+best/4161675/story.html

I have to admit that, if I was Cahoon, I wout totally retire. In a good shape, back to back Grey Cups = retiring on top.

Well, appears he agreed with you as he retired earlier this week. Great start to the presser too, no one saw that coming. In better news, Calvillo is fully healthy again and has signed a 1+1 contract, which basically leaves Cobourne as the only offensive player of note left to re-sign...and as I've established, I'm content with him pricing himself out of the Als' range which is what has happened so far.

Paul Lambert, let go by the Als this offseason, has quasi-retired, taking a coaching position with McGill. If the Als need him though, he will come back which is a good sign, no grudges after this year's version of 'bonus-gate.'

Around the league, the Fantuz deal still hasn't been announced, perhaps the Steelers aren't getting him after all? Chad Owens has an offer on the table from the Jets, but the Argos are apparently trying to re-negotiate his current deal to keep him in Toronto. Hoping the Jets win out, that'd be a big blow to Toronto for sure.

Lastly, a feel good story for Als fans as Regina's mayor settled his bet with Montreal's mayor - http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=351375

Again, the rumour with Fantuz is that the Steelers are waiting until after their season is done to announce the deal. Fantuz has denied that he's signed with anyone, but it's all likely just technicalities at this point. Pittsburgh still has another week of season to go, and free agency in the CFL doesn't start until the 15th, so it's not like it needs to be announced right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantuz to the Bears, not the Steelers after all. Chad Owens unfortunately gets an extension with the Argos, was hoping he'd head south. Als sign Ahman Green, the former GB/HOU RB. Wonder if he has anything left in the tank...Montreal also released Whitaker and Ike Charlton, though Whitaker may be back depending on whether Cobourne re-signs or not.

Adrian McPherson may be NFL bound, had a tryout with Jacksonville and a contract offer is apparently on the table, no guaranteed money though. http://www.radio-can...son-essai.shtml

Deadline for CFL'ers to sign NFL deals is the 15th, free agency begins on the 16th so there should be a lot of news in the coming days.