The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

The release of the schedule has been pushed back two weeks now. Rumours are that they hadn't finalized the teams for Touchdown Atlantic, and that BC Place is taking longer to be completed than originally hoped.

Free agency kicks off tomorrow, looks like Cobourne is heading to market, particularly after Whitaker re-signed. Overall, it's a pretty weak free agent class, here are the highlights: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=353928

Als have also brought in another long-time NFL'er, WR Jerry Porter. I remember having this guy in the pool for a few different years...problem was, he was always injured.

Free agency kicks off tomorrow, looks like Cobourne is heading to market, particularly after Whitaker re-signed. Overall, it's a pretty weak free agent class, here are the highlights: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=353928

Als have also brought in another long-time NFL'er, WR Jerry Porter. I remember having this guy in the pool for a few different years...problem was, he was always injured.

He was under Trestman when he was off coordinator for the Raiders.

He was under Trestman when he was off coordinator for the Raiders.

That explains a lot then. I was surprised he got a 2-year deal given his age and the fact Montreal has about 231 receivers in their system already. Rumours du jour as free agency begins:

- RB Avon Cobourne to the Ti-Cats (please, please be true...)

- QB Jarious Jackson is talking with the Argos (that'd be a good spot for him)

Confirmed deals: DT Kevin Huntley re-signs with the Argos, OL Brian Ramsay goes from Hamilton to Edmonton. DL Shawn Mayne goes from Montreal to Winnipeg. And the biggest signing of the day, All-Star CB Dwight Anderson signs with Montreal. http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=354121

Is it true that Dwight Anderson used to fight with teammates ?

Sounds like it happened a whopping 1 time. He's a mouthy guy...reminds me of Cobourne's incessant yapping actually, but Anderson's more known for it. Cobourne deal is done, took a whole bunch of guaranteed money up front but settled for less than what he was demanding from Montreal.

Other signings:

- S Tad Crawford (BC) to Montreal

- S Wes Lysack (CGY) to Toronto

- DB Geoff Tisdale (HAM) and LB Tim St. Pierre (EDM) to Calgary

- DB Daniel Francis (SSK) to Hamilton

- RB Yvenson Bernard (WPG) to Montreal (has agreed to terms according to SNET)

• 2 weeks later...

Ti-Cats release De'Andra Cobb and Gavin Floyd. Floyd is likely to retire while Cobb apparently is in talks with the Alouettes, who appear destined to carry double digit RB's on their extended offseason roster. Matthieu Proulx officially retires, RDS and RIS both showed the press conference live. Wonder if anyone actually watched though, it's not like he was a star player...heck, his retirement presser got more visibility than Cahoon for crying out loud.

• 2 weeks later...

Alouettes added yet another RB, DeAudra' Cobb from Hamilton, giving them 6 on the active roster. At this point, I'd say the incumbent Whitaker is likely on his way out. Kitwana Jones, primarily a ST guy (I'm guessing here; saskhab, what's the report on him), another good sign giving the Als' poor special teams success.

• 4 weeks later...

4 new rules in the CFL next season.

About :

- Replay

- Under the belt block after a completed pass

- Options after an illegal kickoff

- Illegal participation (player being pushed out of bound)

4 new rules in the CFL next season.

About :

- Replay

- Under the belt block after a completed pass

- Options after an illegal kickoff

- Illegal participation (player being pushed out of bound)

Pretty minor changes, really. Expanded replay now allows the replay booth to award possession on a incomplete pass/fumble play, this isn't an issue most of the time, only a few times per year. Still better than nothing at least. The illegal participation rule isn't a change either, just a clarification to the rule (I wasn't aware it wasn't already cut and dry). The most interesting one to me was the illegal punt one, which allows for the receiving team to take the ball where it was kicked out of bounds plus a 10-yard penalty, rather than just where it went out of bounds. I could see that changing a few games.

• 4 weeks later...

Draft day today (coverage on TSN), I'll be curious to see if Montreal drafts one of the two kickers on the board (Milo or O'Neill, the former being a local kid). It's a bit of a weird ranking system as the #6 player in the rankings is actually a regular in the NFL. Still worth a late flyer due to the NFL status but to rank him as a 1st rounder?

QB Chris Leak signs with the Riders (1+1 deal), how desperate is Saskatchewan for QB depth? I don't think he can supplant Dinwiddie as the backup.

Draft day today (coverage on TSN), I'll be curious to see if Montreal drafts one of the two kickers on the board (Milo or O'Neill, the former being a local kid). It's a bit of a weird ranking system as the #6 player in the rankings is actually a regular in the NFL. Still worth a late flyer due to the NFL status but to rank him as a 1st rounder?

So the Als draft a kicker but neither of those 2, instead opting for one who will play NCAA next year and then try for the NFL. As for the current NFL'er, Montreal drafted him as well in the 5th round. Sounds as if half the picks are years and years away from possibly reporting, if at all. High risk, high reward strategy, as is dealing next year's 1st rounder for BC's K Sean Whyte. 2 years of 1st rounders spent on kickers, that too is an odd strategy.

A lot of trades with the early picks it seemed. Of the 8 second round picks, the first 6 belonged to different teams, only Montreal and Saskatchewan held on to their own 2nd's.

• 4 weeks later...

Fantuz to the Bears, not the Steelers after all. Chad Owens unfortunately gets an extension with the Argos, was hoping he'd head south. Als sign Ahman Green, the former GB/HOU RB. Wonder if he has anything left in the tank...Montreal also released Whitaker and Ike Charlton, though Whitaker may be back depending on whether Cobourne re-signs or not.

Well, guess he had nothing left as he failed his physical and was released by the team before even hitting the field. With them surprisingly picking up 2 CFL RB's earlier in Cobb/Bernard, that doesn't really surprise me much.

• 1 month later...

Well... I was affraid with Cobourne gone, but I must admit that, after 3 games, Whitaker can really do the job. Props to him for stepping up.

Well... I was affraid with Cobourne gone, but I must admit that, after 3 games, Whitaker can really do the job. Props to him for stepping up.

I've said before that I'd have preferred Whitaker play while Cobourne was with Montreal though I didn't think he'd be this effective. What a shocker, Cobourne with Hamilton is averaging under 55 rushing yards per game despite getting lots of touches. He was a product of the system, not a whole lot more.

I've said before that I'd have preferred Whitaker play while Cobourne was with Montreal though I didn't think he'd be this effective. What a shocker, Cobourne with Hamilton is averaging under 55 rushing yards per game despite getting lots of touches. He was a product of the system, not a whole lot more.

Yes he was. In fact, it is public knowledge that what was keeping Cobourne around for so long was his very very good blocking/receiving skills. Exactly what Calvillo needed to apply Trestman's game. He was no Mike Pringle that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted for the Als: A competent special teams coordinator. No experience necessary, all applicants with actual knowledge of the terms 'filling lanes' and 'blocking' will be considered as it would be an upgrade over the current guy.

There used to be one real sure thing going into any Montreal game - an aerial attack. Now we can add a 2nd, a lengthy special teams return by the opponent and no real return game whatsoever from the Als. I'm not panicking by any stretch but the same guy that ran the special teams (into the ground) last year is running the exact same dumb plays now. You would hope something has to give here.

Nice little controversy with the time clock in Edmonton last night, 3 plays in 3.7 seconds or something like that. Eskies got a TD on the 3rd play and won by a single point (after the Argos' backup kicker missed a 57 yard field goal, why that was attempted is beyond me).

• 2 weeks later...

Now that we're at or past the first third of the season (depending on 'your team'), I think there have been some real surprises so far. Winnipeg in the East is one of those surprises for a couple of reasons. They're 5-1 and Buck Pierce isn't hurt yet. Edmonton leading the West is a head scratcher while the Riders being at the bottom is also something I wasn't expecting.

As for last night's Esks-Als game, the stat that jumped out at me was -1. That's the total number of rushing yards by Edmonton in the game. I can't remember the last time I saw a team have a negative rushing total.

• 2 weeks later...

We could see yet another record fall in the upcoming Montreal game but this time it won't be by Calvillo. Kicker Sean Whyte is 3 field goals away from the all-time Alouette record for most consecutive FG's made. He no longer has a challenger to his spot as Sandro DeAngelis will soon be released...as have several other veterans around the league before their salaries are guaranteed for the full season. I'd expect a fair amount of movement in the next few days...it's started already for a few players.

• 4 weeks later...

2nd and 2, just shy of midfield, ~1:15 left in the 4th quarter down by 2. With this being the CFL, the clock stops after every play and the Als do have the league's leading rusher. To me, logic dictates that you run the ball, not run the same pass play twice into tough coverage. I know Montreal is a pass-happy offence but when Calvillo has been wild on every second throw pretty much, take the small yardage gain and work your way into field goal range. I think play calling killed the Als in this one and with them now being 4 points behind Winnipeg, it may have killed their shot at another division title.

2nd and 2, just shy of midfield, ~1:15 left in the 4th quarter down by 2. With this being the CFL, the clock stops after every play and the Als do have the league's leading rusher. To me, logic dictates that you run the ball, not run the same pass play twice into tough coverage. I know Montreal is a pass-happy offence but when Calvillo has been wild on every second throw pretty much, take the small yardage gain and work your way into field goal range. I think play calling killed the Als in this one and with them now being 4 points behind Winnipeg, it may have killed their shot at another division title.

Not to mention that the CFL gives the run a huge advantage by having the D-line start a yard back of the line of scrimmage. It's why short yardage is so automatic in the CFL... a yard should be made over 80% of the time.

I swear Montreal's season could be turned into a mini-series, the storylines are all there...

1) Farewell Cahoon

2) Pursuit of the record books

3) The walking wounded

4) Fall from grace?

5) WR sues RB

Shockingly, I didn't make that last one up. Montreal SB Danny Desriveaux has sued teammate RB Kerry Carter for $15,000 that he claims Carter bilked him out of to invest in Carter's company. One would think they'll in time have to let both go which really sucks since both are NI's, an area the Als are sorely lacking. Heck, we're barely past the halfway mark of the year, there's room for a few more 'episode themes.'

http://www.cyberpres...erry-carter.php