The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

I remain speechless over the absolutely pathetic PI call that all but handed the Bombers the game on Friday night. To the best of my knowledge, it's not PI if it's an uncatchable pass - too far away to be caught. I'm also pretty sure it's not PI if the receiver jumps onto the defender, then flops back while staring at a referee in the hopes of getting his attention. Both these things happened and still they called a 30+ yard PI penalty to give them the ball at the 1. Fortunately, the Als' D held while the CFL has already released a statement saying the call was incorrect. It's been a while since I've seen the league issue that kind of statement.

That said, what a weird game between some of the phantom calls against both sides and the crazy ending. In the West, watch out for BC, they're on a roll right now.

They KNEW last night it was the WRONG CALL, and given the "booth reviews" at the end of the game it should have been overturned THEN.

Funny they can review the last 2 plays of the game without a challange flag being thrown, but can't review that call.

I remain speechless over the absolutely pathetic PI call that all but handed the Bombers the game on Friday night. To the best of my knowledge, it's not PI if it's an uncatchable pass - too far away to be caught. I'm also pretty sure it's not PI if the receiver jumps onto the defender, then flops back while staring at a referee in the hopes of getting his attention. Both these things happened and still they called a 30+ yard PI penalty to give them the ball at the 1. Fortunately, the Als' D held while the CFL has already released a statement saying the call was incorrect. It's been a while since I've seen the league issue that kind of statement.

That said, what a weird game between some of the phantom calls against both sides and the crazy ending. In the West, watch out for BC, they're on a roll right now.

Well said. If there was a penalty to call, it was against WPG's receiver.

My friends and me were pissed, but in the end, we went back home happy.

THat being said, I'm very very very pleased with SJ Green's play this season. Richardson and him are just dominant.

They KNEW last night it was the WRONG CALL, and given the "booth reviews" at the end of the game it should have been overturned THEN.

Funny they can review the last 2 plays of the game without a challange flag being thrown, but can't review that call.

Coaches can't challenge in the final 3 minutes, the replay booth will initiate reviews. Also sadly, reviews can't be used to challenge penalty calls.

The CFL came down hard on the ref who made that awful PI call as he has been fired by the league. Can't say I saw that coming. http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=377334

Also, Jim Popp has been named Executive of the Year by Sports Media Canada. http://cfl.ca/article/popp-humbled-with-executive-of-the-year-honour

And then there's Toronto. There's still 1/3 of the year left and they're all but out of the playoffs already. Jyles evidently wasn't the answer; I have to think Jim Barker will lose at least one of his two posts...if not both.

Congrats to Calvillo for breaking the all-time passing record in today's ugly win over the Argos. I was also impressed to see that 3 of the now top-5 passing QB's (Marino, Moon, and Allen) had some sort of recording...only Brett Favre didn't...and that didn't surprise me one bit.

Congrats Calvillo !

I was wondering what was Jamal Richardson thinking after the TD. Glad it all worked out..

An elated Richardson threw the ball into the crowd, not realizing that Calvillo might want the ball as a memento. But the fan who caught the historic pass from Richardson threw the ball back.

"I think we're going to have to get a hold of the fan and give him something special for this game," the classy Calvillo said.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/10/10/lefko_calvillo/

Nice to see Calvillo getting some recognition from south of the border as well. Here's a couple I liked in particular:

Grantland (ESPN): http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7082619/the-best-passing-quarterback-ever

LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1011-plaschke-anthony-calvillo-20111011,0,4685376,full.column

• Upvote 1

Indeed. And what's up with Boulay ?

On the 9-game IR with I think concussion symptoms. If Brown does come back, he won't count as the early exit off the 9-game (you get one per half of the season, Watkins was the 1st half one) since he was hurt more than 9 games ago. I haven't seen anything suggesting he's ready to play though. Estelle is trying to get healthy to be the early exit guy as far as I know.

We know one of last year's Grey Cup teams won't be back as the Roughriders were officially eliminated yesterday. Given their swoon (18 quarters without an offensive touchdown before Durant ran one in himself yesterday), I can't help but wonder if they're regretting the decision to let Marshall/Berry go.

In Calgary, the Stamps have a new starter in Drew Tate. Cue the Burris to Toronto rumours as Jyles by now should have Argo fans wanting Cleo Lemon back.

Big game in the East today as Montreal can clinch the East Division with a win over the Bombers. That'd be nice as they wouldn't have to rush some of the defenders back (Brown, Estelle, Emry, etc) that could benefit from another week or two off.

We know one of last year's Grey Cup teams won't be back as the Roughriders were officially eliminated yesterday. Given their swoon (18 quarters without an offensive touchdown before Durant ran one in himself yesterday), I can't help but wonder if they're regretting the decision to let Marshall/Berry go.

In Calgary, the Stamps have a new starter in Drew Tate. Cue the Burris to Toronto rumours as Jyles by now should have Argo fans wanting Cleo Lemon back.

Big game in the East today as Montreal can clinch the East Division with a win over the Bombers. That'd be nice as they wouldn't have to rush some of the defenders back (Brown, Estelle, Emry, etc) that could benefit from another week or two off.

The Riders problem was never coaching... its in the GM spot.

Eric Tillman was a great GM. He assembled a lot of talent for the Riders. When he left that Talent remained, and they continued to win. Slowly though, the talent left, aged, or otherwise needed to be replaced. Their new management has been unable to find replacements for the guys who have been lost, or who have regressed.

Just look how quickly Tillman is building a great team in Edmonton. He has an eye for this game.

The Riders problem was never coaching... its in the GM spot.

Eric Tillman was a great GM. He assembled a lot of talent for the Riders. When he left that Talent remained, and they continued to win. Slowly though, the talent left, aged, or otherwise needed to be replaced. Their new management has been unable to find replacements for the guys who have been lost, or who have regressed.

Just look how quickly Tillman is building a great team in Edmonton. He has an eye for this game.

Exactly why I do adore Jim Popp. He ALWAYS finds new talent coming from everywhere and at every position.

IMO, Popp is the main contributing factor of Als success over the last decade. He's really good at this job. But stay away from coaching Jim. Please.

Exactly why I do adore Jim Popp. He ALWAYS finds new talent coming from everywhere and at every position.

IMO, Popp is the main contributing factor of Als success over the last decade. He's really good at this job. But stay away from coaching Jim. Please.

He needs to find someone capable of returning kicks more than 15 yards. Maypray did nothing and Perry Floyd is somehow doing less than nothing. Another PI call in the last minute (close enough at 1:02) gives the Bombers 1st and goal and this time they capitalized, Als lose by one. At least this PI call was somewhat legit unlike the fallacy of three weeks ago. Calvillo looked awful, this loss is 100% on him and his complete inability to complete a five yard pass consistently. The battle for the East will be going down to the wire now.

• 2 weeks later...

So late in the Montreal/Calgary game (quite the entertaining affair may I add), the Als have 2nd and 3 at...I want to say around the 15. 23 seconds left, no timeouts but the clock stops at least briefly after each play as unlike the NFL, the clock starts when whistled in. Of course, I'm thinking - run the ball! The league leading rusher is sitting there and as much as he hadn't broken one yet, he was getting 4-5 yards consistently. Instead they pass and lo and behold, they fail yet again.

On the other hand, what a final week it will be - a two way tie for 1st in the East and a three way tie in the West. I'm glad the Als have the last game, things may mostly be decided by then...or they'll know they control their own destiny.

And a great game it was.

I've got it recorded, I'm mulling over how much of it (if any) to watch; I heard Bowling was getting the KR/PR duties and I want to see how he fared. The injuries are becoming borderline funny if it wasn't simultaneously destroying this team. If nothing else, we have a better sense about how much some of the subs can handle themselves as fill-ins, something that will help Popp and company determine how to shape the roster this offseason.

I think they've got a shot against Hamilton but I'm skeptical against Winnipeg. In the West, I like Calgary's chances, Tate's got them going well right now, that momentum should prove to be important in the West semi.