The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

Kickers miss field goals all the time. Wasn't there an NFL kicker in the Stupor Bowl that was terrible this year? It's the fact that it turned into a poor man's Aussie Rules Football with overtones of sad Rugby that your replay showed the severe bushiness.

Whatever happened to Jetsniper? He was good for kibitzing with.

This. And boosting his HWL's players ceilings... :ph34r:

The 'whimsical wonder' that I was really referring to was in the link, the missed FG/punt out/punt back in/try to punt back out play from a few years ago. I know in the past NFL teams used to convert QB's but I can't think of any recent examples (other than Tim Tebow who lined up as a special teams player). But in the CFL, signing a Canadian QB to actually play QB is the exception instead of the norm.

Bills WR/Kick Returner Brad Smith was a QB his entire college career (the Jets drafted and converted him).

Matt Jones played WR for Jacksonville after being a QB at Arkansas for his entire college Career.

NFL teams are currently debating what position Michigan QB Denard Robinson will play after they draft him this year, and it won't be QB. Options are WR, CB, and RB.

Well there you go, I suppose it happens more often than I thought. (I knew about Smith previously too, every time he lines up as QB in the wildcat someone mentions it...)

Oh, and one for Colin that I'm sure he'll get a laugh out of, the league apparently permitted a team (Edmonton) to trade the same draft pick twice. With the draft getting closer, it appears someone finally noticed.

• 2 months later...

The CFL sure has an odd way of trying to promote itself. A mid-week draft date is curious in itself but at mid-week draft 3 PM Eastern??? That's insanity.

OL Ben Heenan went #1 to Sask.

They did better this year with their draft scheduling...I think. It goes at noon EST today. That's better than mid-week if nothing else. TSN has the first two rounds if anyone's interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Training camps get underway this weekend. Thank goodness, it sucks just having one sport to watch where I have a vested interest in (I'm still watching NHL/NBA playoffs but it's not the same without a rooting interest). Montreal re-signed Brandon Whitaker today, that's a big shocker given all of the RB's they have on the roster as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm impressed - it looks like the CFL has TV deals with two US networks this year. NBCSN like last year is carrying games while ESPN2 has picked some up as well; the rest will be broadcast online on ESPN3. Just a few years ago that would have seemed impossible.

• 1 month later...

Popp, Popp, Hawkins shown the door Popp to take over,per TSN

There was only one way the current situation could have been made worse...this is it. Now you've got a GM, who more or less is covering for a lack of an assistant GM, trying to coach the team as well? Plus, he's proven to be a lousy head coach. I'd have preferred bestowing the interim tag on Doug Berry, the senior advisor. The way the coaching staff is set up, the head coach isn't as involved as Trestman was (which helps since Berry's getting up there in age) and at least Berry carries a little more clout than a GM making his fourth stint as coach of the team. It sounds like this was the owners' decision, I don't think it's the smart one.

Good news, Berry gets the OC job, Mike Miller (the former OC) stays on in more of a learning capacity. That probably keeps him in line to resume the role next year when he's more familiar with the structure.

I'm beginning to think it's going to be one of those years where nothing goes well. Not only do we have the coaching saga, but now the Als' highest paid receiver tears his ACL and LCL in practice...without any contact whatsoever and is now out for the year, joining quite a few regulars who are already on the long term injury list.

Well there you go, I suppose it happens more often than I thought. (I knew about Smith previously too, every time he lines up as QB in the wildcat someone mentions it...)

Yeah, it's not that uncommon for dual threat college QBs to contribute at other positions as pros. Michael Robinson has had steady work as a RB/FB/special teamer after playing QB at Penn State. Antwaan Randle El played QB at Indiana and had a solid NFL career and made a Pro Bowl. Julian Edelman played QB at Kent State and has been a solid depth guy and punt returner and could be in for a breakout season. The most successful guy I can think of would be Edleman's predecessor at Kent State, 3 time Pro-Bowler Josh Cribbs, who also shares the NFL record for kickoff return TDs.

I'm impressed - it looks like the CFL has TV deals with two US networks this year. NBCSN like last year is carrying games while ESPN2 has picked some up as well; the rest will be broadcast online on ESPN3. Just a few years ago that would have seemed impossible.

Yeah, seems like there's a game on every few days. It had been quite a few years since they had legitimate TV deals in the states. NFL Network had them for a while, but that's no ESPN or NBC Sports. What I find odd is that people constantly bash NBC Sports for rebroadcasting TSN programming, but never hear the same complaints when ESPN does it.

Yeah, seems like there's a game on every few days. It had been quite a few years since they had legitimate TV deals in the states. NFL Network had them for a while, but that's no ESPN or NBC Sports. What I find odd is that people constantly bash NBC Sports for rebroadcasting TSN programming, but never hear the same complaints when ESPN does it.

ESPN partly owns TSN so when they rebroadcast some from TSN (or vice versa...which is a lot more often), it's not thought of as a big deal. There's no affiliation between TSN and NBC. Unfortunately the ESPN2 games are done now as far as I know - the EDM/MTL one from about 10 or so days ago was their final one. The ratings weren't bad, that game ranked 19th in terms of total viewers on the network for the week which was the high out of all of the games (the low was 35th I believe). NBCSN has the games moving forward plus ESPN3 I think online.

• 3 weeks later...

After six weeks of blowouts and uncompetitive games, we're finally starting to see some close ones in the CFL. The last two weeks for Montreal have been a lot more interesting to follow and close to the end (with game-winning FG's as time expires in both). Perhaps the Als might have something in Tanner Marsh, their 3rd string QB who finished the game yesterday? Neiswander, the backup, may have lost his shot at making his mark as Marsh showed he's worth a longer look. At some point Troy Smith will get his shot as well depending on when Calvillo is healthy.

After six weeks of blowouts and uncompetitive games, we're finally starting to see some close ones in the CFL. The last two weeks for Montreal have been a lot more interesting to follow and close to the end (with game-winning FG's as time expires in both). Perhaps the Als might have something in Tanner Marsh, their 3rd string QB who finished the game yesterday? Neiswander, the backup, may have lost his shot at making his mark as Marsh showed he's worth a longer look. At some point Troy Smith will get his shot as well depending on when Calvillo is healthy.

Last night's game was sick. One sure thing, Marsh is much more mobile than AC. He can run and get unexpected first down several times / game.

Last night's game was sick. One sure thing, Marsh is much more mobile than AC. He can run and get unexpected first down several times / game.

There were some good and bad moments with that. Once he had run for a couple first downs, I found for a while he was dropping back, checking the primary read and if he wasn't open, taking off without checking the other routes or the dump play to the RB. Once in a while that's okay but if you do it regularly, the D will key in quickly.

There were some good and bad moments with that. Once he had run for a couple first downs, I found for a while he was dropping back, checking the primary read and if he wasn't open, taking off without checking the other routes or the dump play to the RB. Once in a while that's okay but if you do it regularly, the D will key in quickly.

Was his first start. Next thing he has to learn is straight up how to fake a run and use option B or C.

• 4 weeks later...

Was his first start. Next thing he has to learn is straight up how to fake a run and use option B or C.

He's gone downhill fast since that start. I actually celebrated a completion for -2 yards with 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter...that was the first pass he completed. It was nice while it lasted but it's time to put him back on the bench for a bit. I still think he could be decent but he's in over his head right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That was a disappointing end to the season for the Als. They had the lead for most of the game but faltered down the stretch. Regardless of who won that one though, I think the Argos are the team to beat coming out of the East. The more interesting matchup will be the Riders and Stamps this weekend. After a nice comeback, I think Saskatchewan will be on quite the high coming into the game. I think they may have a chance to pull off a bit of an upset.

Anyone else have any picks? I know I'm not the only one who follows the CFL here...

That was a disappointing end to the season for the Als. They had the lead for most of the game but faltered down the stretch. Regardless of who won that one though, I think the Argos are the team to beat coming out of the East. The more interesting matchup will be the Riders and Stamps this weekend. After a nice comeback, I think Saskatchewan will be on quite the high coming into the game. I think they may have a chance to pull off a bit of an upset.

Anyone else have any picks? I know I'm not the only one who follows the CFL here...

I watched the game and was dissapointed too. Way too many fumbles by Als' WR. Bo Bowling was bad. Very bad.

Calvillo will probably retire. Not sure if Smith is the go to guy.

I found myself being way less interested by the CFL this season. I really watched NFL more and more as the season was going on.

I watched the game and was dissapointed too. Way too many fumbles by Als' WR. Bo Bowling was bad. Very bad.

Calvillo will probably retire. Not sure if Smith is the go to guy.

I found myself being way less interested by the CFL this season. I really watched NFL more and more as the season was going on.

Bowling was bad but he had played quite well in the games leading up to this one.

I think Smith is the guy, I'm much more confident in him than Neiswander or Marsh (I think Marsh still has some potential though). Give him a playbook suited to his style (they were still running an abbreviated version of what Calvillo ran; the two are very different QB types) and a full training camp and he should be a lot better. Given that they're giving him a reasonable salary (by CFL standards) for next year, he'll get the first look if Calvillo retires.

As a Montreal fan, it was hard to be enthusiastic about some of the games given that they were running a 'B' team on a few occasions with all the injuries. What kept me interested was watching the new guys - as I said I think Smith can be the QB of the future while Duron Carter and Tyrell Sutton both looked really good as well. Assuming those players don't head for the NFL, the offence should be in better shape next year. The defence was a lot more fun to watch too with the heavy-blitzing style. We saw Sunday that it can be broken down a bit but all in all, they were entertaining to watch, something that couldn't be said last season.

• 2 weeks later...