Screw the MLB

Ribeiro

There's a few reasons that the team will soon be leaving Montreal, the first obviously being the fact that the other 29 teams own them. From their point of view, why would they want to pay to stabilize an opposing franchise?

This leads one to wonder how the Expos landed in that situation in the first place. In a nutshell, their former owner, Jeffery Loria (who now owns the Marlins), wanted out, but no other owner, local or otherwise at the time, was willing to step up and buy the franchise. There's a little more to the Loria story, but virtually irrelevant to this question here.

Another reason is the continuing floundering attendance of the franchise. Yet again the Expos are drawing less than 7,000 per game, interest has just completely dwindled. Fans appear to be tired of the constant salary dumping for prospect deals, and are preparing to have just 3 teams to cheer for, the Habs, Als, and the Impact.

It's a truly unfortunate situation for all parties involved, the players, the plethora of current owners, as well as the fans. I'm glad to see this get resolved, although as an Expo fan myself, I would have preferred to see them remain in Montreal.

Who watches Baseball anywayz?... lol... Its all about HOCKEY!!!... GO HABS... but still... its gonna be weird...no more Expos....

I seriously hope you're joking because it's that "hockey only" attitude that keeps on ruining Canada's chance at more sports teams.

Who watches baseball? During the best years of the Jays, they sold out the Skydome.

Eric Gagne is an awesome pitcher. That's still an understatement. He is by far the best closer in the history of baseball. He's got me watching!

How can we expect Canada to do better in the summer Olympics if everytime someone mentions basketball or hockey, people reply, "Who cares? It's all about hockey."

It was that "I don't care" attitude that got the Grizzlies taken away.

And it's not "all about hockey", as hockey teams have been stripped from Canada too (Jets, Avs).

No enough spectators (they are all @ the habs games), not enough money?

The baseball season ends about the same time that hockey begins (counting the playoffs). So no, the problem isn't that the fans are at the Habs games.

However, every other problem that would destroy a baseball franchise exists in the Expos.

Another reason is the continuing floundering attendance of the franchise. Yet again the Expos are drawing less than 7,000 per game, interest has just completely dwindled. Fans appear to be tired of the constant salary dumping for prospect deals, and are preparing to have just 3 teams to cheer for, the Habs, Als, and the Impact.

The problem with the attendance isn't the fault of resident Montrealers though.

You can't blame them for not showing up when for the last 6 seasons, it was "the last season."

Also the fact that all the risky young stars are put on the Expos. Then when they get good, are instantly signed to another team. The Expos also had great talent like Pedro, Vladi and Walker but they were all signed by other teams.

I would have preferred to see them remain in Montreal.

Good times though. They were once the best team in baseball.

A mix of emotions.

:que: :can: :nono::wall::(

oh dear, My post wasnt supposed to be taken seriously... lol... I used to be a huge baseball fan, even played for 5 years when i was younger.

What it comes down 2, is that, ppl in montreal are used to the fast pace hockey games. You, and everyone else, I am very sure is well aware at how alive the whole city becomes when the habs do good.

You don't get this is baseball. Sure it is not completely boring, as there are some great plays, and, a whole lot to watch when u kno the game. But, when u get a whole community, a whole City, used to, and loving one thing... such as hockey... Baseball suddenly isnt as thrilling.

BTW... ppl are not as close minded as you may think... look at how much fan base the Alouettes have. One argument is it could be due to their success in recent years. But it is much more exciting, like hockey. You have the contact, the fast plays, and all that.

Canada has never been very big on its baseball. If you look around to most big city's... usually there is one sports team which most of the city loves.

I believe another reason why The expos have not brought in much of a fan base... is because during the summer, the football season is on... and, with the Als doing so great, they get more attention. Then when winter rolls around, its time for hockey again.

Anywayz, I wasn't completely serious about my previous statement, but, being this a Habs boards. I thought it would be slightly amusing.

Start a petition... lol, keep the expos.. It would get a lot of signatures I'm sure, but, only a fraction of ppl who sign it would actually show up at the games, or watch from home.

If people had wanted the Expos to stay, they would have gone to the games to show that Montreal could support a team. They frequently get less than 5,000 to a game, and I find that very sad for the players who have to go out there and play in that silence. Sure, Loria screwed the team over, but people stopped attending games long ago. Attendance dropped significantly after the strike ended the Expos great season, and were then dismantled afterwards. The players deserve a home where they have fans.

And I am sorry, Ribeiro, but it is far too soon to call Gagne the greatest closer of all time. Sure, his record is staggering, but how can 3 seasons already overcome the accomplishments of Lee Smith, Goose Gosage, Dennis Eckersly, and even Mariano Rivera. Guys like Gosage used to pitch 2 innings for almost every save, working a lot more than Gagne does. This takes nothing away from Gagne, but it is too soon to call him the greatest of all time.

What it comes down 2, is that, ppl in montreal are used to the fast pace hockey games. You, and everyone else, I am very sure is well aware at how alive the whole city becomes when the habs do good.  

They were alive during the days when the Expos ruled. They were then extremely pissed during the days of the strike (happened at the same time).

BTW... ppl are not as close minded as you may think... look at how much fan base the Alouettes have. One argument is it could be due to their success in recent years. But it is much more exciting, like hockey. You have the contact, the fast plays, and all that.  

I can't stand the CFL. It's a minor league, and I hope it folds. So TSN can broadcast baseball instead.

If people had wanted the Expos to stay, they would have gone to the games to show that Montreal could support a team.  They frequently get less than 5,000 to a game, and I find that very sad for the players who have to go out there and play in that silence.

I think it's closer to 9,000 to 10,000.

Good thing we have CFL at least......

Not.

The CrapFL is a Canadian league full of American players. American players that were rejected from the NFL as a backup to a backup's backup.

The playbook there is so damn thin it's sad. They have no running game. The level of talent compared to the NFL is completely different.

Sure, Loria screwed the team over, but people stopped attending games long ago.  Attendance dropped significantly after the strike ended the Expos great season, and were then dismantled afterwards.

Well, the Expos had the biggest chance to win the World Series that year. The only other team that was close was the Yankees.

The fact that they chose that moment to strike pissed off the city and it's fans.

Ok... I d0 not follow baseball completely, (and especially in the past) but going by what Fanpuck33 said about the team being dismantled after they were so close... then its no wonder we didn't do good afterwords. (The habs 1994, after they won the cup... we changed the team completely after... and... well, no cup since... ringing any bells?)

anywayz, The CFL is a lot better than you make it out to sound. If you watch some more games, maybe you'll see these guyz got a lot more skill than you think. And wow, they actually have enough teams to have their own league in canada.... I don't everrrr see that happening in canada... (in sense of a Major league)... And its not like the Expos or Jays are all canadian players...

CFL = CRAPFL???

lol....I laugh at that remark. I'm sorry but I've run into alot of people who think that about the league. Ya, they ARE people who dont make the NFL, but some people make it sound like its EASY to make the nfl. Even if you dont make the nfl, and make the cfl, you are definitly not crap. CFL has skilled players, just not as skilled as nfl and when people here that they automatically assume the league is shit because its not as advanced as nfl.

If you give it a chance, you realise its alot more skilled then "a bunch of people who cant make the nfl"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

(Use the menu to get stats for Montreal attendance)

Look for yourself. While the overall attendance does average around 9,000, look how often the team draws just 4-7 thousand fans for home games. For their home opener, they had fewer than 15,000 in attendance, 1/3 capacity. If a team can't draw fans to even opening day, there is something wrong.

Some say people do not go to games becuase the team is so bad. This isn't true. The last two years the Expos were contenders well into July, before falling back. Even then they only averaged 10,000 per game. And even if you were to blame poor team performance for the low attendance, explain this: Why do the Devil Rays (the next lowest team for attendance) still average twice as many fans as the Expos?

Simple: the majority of people in Montreal don't follow baseball unless the Expos were doing great.

[Edited on 7-27-04 by Fanpuck33]

anywayz, The CFL is a lot better than you make it out to sound.

No it isn't. Anyone who knows football knows the CFL is complete crap. The playbook is the size of a 3 year-old's storybook, the running game is non-existent and the Special Teams - well, you can tell they aren't technically sound.

Even if you dont make the nfl, and make the cfl, you are definitly not crap.

It means you're a minor-leaguer that gets more attention than you deserve.

Some of these guys didn't even make it to the European NFL, which is the minor league for the NFL. These guys were rejected as a backup to a backup's backup in the NFL, then, were rejected for the same job in the Euro NFL. And they get on Sportscenter? Sad.

CFL has skilled players, just not as skilled as nfl and when people here that they automatically assume the league is shit because its not as advanced as nfl.    

It's not even half as advanced. You can put the last Grey Cup team together and make them play the Detroit Lions. The Lions will still come out victorious by a long shot. You can play the backups and they'd still win.

In fact, you can throw out half of the NFL plays and they'll still win.

Simple:  the majority of people in Montreal don't follow baseball unless the Expos were doing great.  

I agree. That and the fact that they decided to strike instead of go for a World Series.

That ruined the league altogether (MLB use to be extremely popular).

Look for yourself. While the overall attendance does average around 9,000, look how often the team draws just 4-7 thousand fans for home games. For their home opener, they had fewer than 15,000 in attendance, 1/3 capacity. If a team can't draw fans to even opening day, there is something wrong.  

That was the Expos "Home Opener". The Home Opener drew 30,000+.

The Expos are a team with no future, no playoff appearences in over 20 years, one playoff appearence in it's history. A team that plays in the worst stadium in pro-sports, a team that has had to giveaway it's top superstars such as Vladi, Pedro, Walker, Alou and Vazquez because other teams simply had more money, and they are also a team that was enjoying it's greatest season ever, only to have MLB shut down the season. Can you honestly not see the reasoning behind the low attendance Bud?

Plus MLB hates Canada.

Originally posted by Quebecois

That was the Expos "Home Opener". The Home Opener drew 30,000+.

The Expos are a team with no future, no playoff appearences in over 20 years, one playoff appearence in it's history. A team that plays in the worst stadium in pro-sports, a team that has had to giveaway it's top superstars such as Vladi, Pedro, Walker, Alou and Vazquez because other teams simply had more money, and they are also a team that was enjoying it's greatest season ever, only to have MLB shut down the season. Can you honestly not see the reasoning behind the low attendance Bud?

Plus MLB hates Canada.

Your right, they play in a horrible stadium. Plus the stadium is falling apart everyday, its going to collapse sooner or later, your risking your life when you goto an expos game ;) ... Plus the location of the Stadium is not great, its out of the way for most fans... A downtown outdoor stadium would average AT LEAST 25k a night... Just look at the Alouettes.

btw: I like the CFL, I think its entertaining... If you played the best team in the CFL against the worst in the NFL, and played the game on a CFL sized field using CFL rules I think the CFL team would have a good chance of winning.

Yes, the NFL has the more talented players... But who the hell cares? Why do people have to hate the CFL just because its "minor" league. Big deal? Its still fun to watch. but thats just my opinion...

No it isn't. Anyone who knows football knows the CFL is complete crap. The playbook is the size of a 3 year-old's storybook

Oh yeah, you just happen to be standing on the sidelines helping the coaches.

It means you're a minor-leaguer that gets more attention than you deserve.  

??? "minor-leaguer"? Okay, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if thats what you want to call it, its still good football whatever it is to u.

It's not even half as advanced. You can put the last Grey Cup team together and make them play the Detroit Lions. The Lions will still come out victorious by a long shot. You can play the backups and they'd still win.  

Once again, another statement that has no proof. You can't say that unless it actually happens.

Anyways, were just people saying our own opinions, and i dont want to start a huge arguement. Just had to put in my 2 cents.

lol, we should start a discussion now on which rules are better... NFL 4 downs... or CFL 3 downs......... then we all realize that this topic is about baseball... lol...

there you have it... lol

Originally posted by Macaskill

which rules are better... NFL 4 downs... or CFL 3 downs...

The obvious answer is Rugby Union with 0 downs. I mean, c'mon, continous sports are the only 'real' sports. Baseball has an approximate ratio of 1:20 when it comes to comparing the sport played to the time spent at a game. The NFL is roughly 1:10. What about the NHL? Around 1:3 (without the long OT games). Continous sports are the best in the world, no questions asked.

Ok, I couldn't remember if they had played games in Puerto Rico this season or not. I find it odd that the Puerto Ricans did not sell out the games. As popular as baseball is down there, I figured they'd sell out every game down there.

btw: I like the CFL, I think its entertaining... If you played the best team in the CFL against the worst in the NFL, and played the game on a CFL sized field using CFL rules I think the CFL team would have a good chance of winning.  

No, that wouldn't be possible. NFL players are more talented, faster, stronger, and quicker.

The NFL coaches are smarter and more competent.

The CFL would lose in any situation as long as in involves football against NFL players.

Yes, the NFL has the more talented players... But who the hell cares? Why do people have to hate the CFL just because its "minor" league. Big deal? Its still fun to watch. but thats just my opinion...

No other minor league gets as much attention as the CFL. I can't stand having to watch the crap highlights instead of the Pros, as in the best players.

You have no clue how bad the CFL players are if you truly believe they stand a chance against the NFL players. The NFL players are in a whole different league (literally!).

Oh yeah, you just happen to be standing on the sidelines helping the coaches.  

You can ask any football analyst and they'll tell you the exact same thing. The CFL's playbook is extremely thin compared to the NFL's. I'm not even going to bring up the Defense, because the CFL doesn't even come close on the offensive side.

Once again, another statement that has no proof.  You can't say that unless it actually happens.  

It's dead obvious you have absolutely no clue about football, the NFL or the CFL.

The CFL players couldn't cut it in the NFL. Not even as backups to the backup. That's why they are in the CFL, that's why their pay is less, that's the whole friken' reason they're in the CFL! Don't you get that!?

Why would players who couldn't even cut it as 3rd stringers in the NFL, be able to beat starters of an NFL team, even if it is the Lions? A team that these players failed to make. It's common sense, and it's sad you don't realize that.

Ok, I couldn't remember if they had played games in Puerto Rico this season or not.  I find it odd that the Puerto Ricans did not sell out the games.  As popular as baseball is down there, I figured they'd sell out every game down there.    

Must have not, or the Expos would have moved there.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

No, that wouldn't be possible. NFL players are more talented, faster, stronger, and quicker.

The NFL coaches are smarter and more competent.

The CFL would lose in any situation as long as in involves football against NFL players.

No other minor league gets as much attention as the CFL. I can't stand having to watch the crap highlights instead of the Pros, as in the best players.

Nobody is forcing you to watch it. Alot of people like the CFL and thats why CFL highlights are shown at the start of sports shows.

You have no clue how bad the CFL players are if you truly believe they stand a chance against the NFL players.  The NFL players are in a whole different league (literally!).

I never said all CFL teams could compete with all NFL teams, I said that the BEST team in the CFL could compete with the worst team in the NFL, if the game was played with CFL rules. I'll give you an example of why I think it would be possible...

Think back to the 2002-2003 NHL/AHL season's. Do you remember how bad of a team the Penguins had? really horrible. Now think about how good the minor league AHL Bulldogs were that season, I said to myself many times that year that the Bulldogs could beat the Penguins, and alot of people agreed with me.

So why is it impossible for a top minor league team (CFL) to beat a really bad major league team (NFL?) .

The CFL is a more exciting brand of football, with bigger plays, less 3 yard runs and more 20+ yard passes. The players make next to nothing, some of them have more jobs, you have to respect how they play for the love of the game rather than for their paychecks.. So the players are less talented, it doesn't change the fact that the football is exciting and competitive.

As a Canadian, i love the CFL because it is one of the last things that is truly ours, hell even Tim Hortons is in the USA now. Like puck said, don't watch it, no one is forcing you.

:can::can::can:

[Edited on 30/7/04 by Quebecois]