NHL UFA/Trades thread - July 1st

Senators sign Jason Smith, 2.6M / yr for 2 yrs

Good signing for them IMO, they needed to beef up their D.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blues Sign Steve Bernier to Offer Sheet - blues.nhl.com link

St. Louis Blues President John Davidson announced today that the club has signed Group II free agent forward Steve Bernier to an offer sheet worth $2.5 million for next season. The Canucks will have seven days to match the offer or receive St. Louis’ 2nd round draft choice in 2009.

The Canucks are so short on offense than they pretty much have no choice but to match.

If they do match, can the Blues trow yet ANOTHER, higher offer sheet to Bernier?

The Canucks are so short on offense than they pretty much have no choice but to match.

If they do match, can the Blues trow yet ANOTHER, higher offer sheet to Bernier?

The Bernier acquisition and the previous attempt to get Backes from the Blues demonstrates a team that is desperate to add scoring no matter what! They'd better because they are presently imbalanced in that area. Vancouver dumped futures for Bernier. If the Blues get him, this is a Canucks disaster. Gillis has NO CHOICE but to match. Bernier was brought in to fill out the roster in hopes of also wooing Sundin. Better team, right? But now, Davidson has just cost the Canucks money. And, if there's less big money to go around, then it'll be more difficult to trade or sign a player to help further woo Number 13! Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Just did a quick number crunch on both the Canucks and the Habs' cap, and adding Demitra, and having to pay Bernier puts the Habs into a better cap position to get Sundin. Davidson did get revenge

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Just did a quick number crunch on both the Canucks and the Habs' cap, and adding Demitra, and having to pay Bernier puts the Habs into a better cap position to get Sundin. Davidson did get revenge

And I think Stlouis is better suited if the canucks doesnt sign sundin. Cmon Mats, make my day, or make my nhl season for that matter.

And I think Stlouis is better suited if the canucks doesnt sign sundin. Cmon Mats, make my day, or make my nhl season for that matter.
Advantage Habs on getting Sundin. If Mats takes more time to decide his future, what does Gillis do? Make it Sundin only and take his phone of the hook on potential trades and other ways to improve his team? There's rumours of him Sundin being in Vancouver but they're garbage rumours! I thought Ohlund was going to call him in Sweden. But wait - he's in BC :wacko: CONTRADICTION! Garbage rumour!

If true some confirmation would be nice.

Meanwhile, in the other corner -the Canadiens who don't really have to sign Mats at all, do have the cap cushion to get a player at the deadline. :D

Well that didnt took long.. 'Nucks match Bernier's offer sheet.

looks like almost every team that wanted sundin went to their plan B except for montreal.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Yup, they took it. 47.6 is where they are I believe. Montreal and Vancouver are on par.

Except now that 10 mil offer puts the Canucks over the cap and they still don't have much offensive talent to surround Sundin with. Bieksa has been rumored to be trade bait but then he'd basically become a dump. I just don't see how Sundin to Vancouver makes sense for either side unless Mats just wants to be a greedy little bastard.

Yup, they took it. 47.6 is where they are I believe. Montreal and Vancouver are on par.

How do you get the 47.6 figure? They're only at 42.6 million. They still have room to sign Sunding to the 10 million a year deal and fill out a couple depth players.

I tought they were offering 4 mil to Demitra? So 42.6+10+4 = 56.4.. talk about cutting it close.

Ottawa's fans make me laugh. They say on RDS.ca that the Smith signing is good because he will be a mentor for Volchenkov, Mezjaros and Phillips. The funny thing is : PHILLIPS IS 30 YEARS OLD DUUUUDE !

Between Bernier, Wellwood, and Demitra, I think Vancouver will be tolerably competitive next season - the team was built (by Nonis) to be strong from the back end with just enough scoring to win squeakers, and despite Gillis's big talk, it remains in that mode. They only missed the playoffs last season because their top four defencemen were injured for most of the year. (Although neither owners nor fans had sufficient brains to realize that, and Dave Nonis was the undeserving scapegoat). Unfortunately for Canucks fans, they had to further decimate an already devastated system by losing a 2nd and 3rd-round pick in order to stand still (by getting Bernier); but I expect the fundamental rot in the system will be ignored by fans ecstatic over the "surprising" success of the Nonis model, which they spent all of last year bemoaning. Gillis will, of course, reap a mostly undeserved credit, and will presumably deal further picks/youth to try to "make a bold move" heading into the playoffs. Because that's the kind of idiocy that defines the franchise.

The more I see of other organizations, the happier I am with ours. :hlogo:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Fedorov re-ups in Washington for 4 million

I'm shocked to see Feds get that much money. Clicking with the caps after the trade and playing well at the World Championships earned him double what he would have signed for before.

Jackets extend Hitchcock 3 years

:wall:

Demitra

He hasn't signed there, yet...

I tought they were offering 4 mil to Demitra? So 42.6+10+4 = 56.4.. talk about cutting it close.

That's how close it will be if Montreal offers Sundin 8.

Fedorov re-ups in Washington for 4 million

I'm shocked to see Feds get that much money. Clicking with the caps after the trade and playing well at the World Championships earned him double what he would have signed for before.

Jackets extend Hitchcock 3 years

:wall:

I think the Fedorov contract isn't bad ... he's a leader with a ton of experince. He might not put up huge #'s but he brings so much to the table in terms of being a mentor to Ovechkin and Semin.

As for Hitchcock ... he didn't do so bad considering the talent he had/has to work with.

Good riddance. It would had been a shame to see him destroy another dressing room in the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243038&amp...=headlines_main

Demitra signs in Vancouver. Terms not disclosed.

2yrs $8M

they now have $10,070,000 left for the Mats Sundin offer. : /

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=VAN

Edited by Habitforming

Man oh Man........

Mcgratton is gone from Ottawa and Neil is asking to be traded. BUMMER!!!!!!!!! I was really hoping we would get to see big George pound those dudes on a regular basis. This three way trade looks to be very interesting should it happen. Mostly because Chicago looks like it's on the way to really becoming a power house in the next few years. If they land Kopitar? would be huge for them not to mention opening up cap space by dumping the former "Wall"

OTTAWA CITIZEN: Ken Warren reports the unsettled contract statuses of Antoine Vermette and Andrej Meszaros are making things difficult for Senators GM Bryan Murray. Meszaros is seeking between $3.5 -$4 million per season and has an offer to follow former teammate Ray Emery's path to the Kontinental Hockey League while Vermette is seeking $2.5-$3 million per season, leaving Murray little wiggle room to fit them under his cap and still address other roster areas, giving rise to plenty of trade rumors involving one or both players along with teammate Chris Neil. Murray and an official from the Blackhawks shot down yesterday's three-way trade rumor involving the Senators, Blackhawks and LA Kings whereby Martin Gerber and Meszaros would be dealt to the Kings, Anze Kopitar to the Blackhawks, and Nikolai Khabibulin and Brent Seabrook or Cam Barker would head to Ottawa. Vermette and Neil are rumored to have asked to be dealt, sparking strong denials from their respective agents.

I've heard that rumor, but it makes no sense to me from the Kings point of view. They would basically be trading away one the premier young centers in the game - who also happens to be about 6'4 and 220lbs - for very little in return. Meszaros isn't bad, but he's not worth Kopitar.

Besides, with Doughty, Johnson, Teubert, and Hickey in the system and no one nearly as good at the centre position, it would be a stupid move by the Kings.