NHL Draft Thread

Habsfan

We can discuss all the trades here!

Jolkinien Has been traded to Phoenix!

Edited by Habsfan

Looks like a steal for Phoenix.

Hard to believe the Habs couldn't come up with a better offer, unless the Panthers were set on Komi.

That's what they're saying.

And Tanguay? There won't be any room for Sundin then, that's for sure.

Yeah, but it'll take some magic now to fit Sundin and Tanguay under the cap. Unless we flip Tanguay again, but I think he has a no-trade.

How does florida get so ripped off in two trades in 3 years?? Ballard and Boynton, are you kidding me?

Ballard is a pretty good blueliner, Boynton's a journeyman at this point. Jokinen made it clear that he wanted out, and that limits what other teams are going to give up. Martin's best bet may have been to wait until the free agent period began and start a bidding war somehow.

WOW

Tanguay and Sundin this year... Stanley is possible

Have you bought the #13 Habs jersey yet? They have permission to talk, there's no offer on the table yet.

Yeah, but it'll take some magic now to fit Sundin and Tanguay under the cap. Unless we flip Tanguay again, but I think he has a no-trade.

No it won't.

The Habs will not resign Ryder(3million) and smolinski (2 million)...and there you have the room for Tanguay's 5 million$

To Iles

7th round

2nd round

3rd round

To Toronto

5th round

So Fletcher gave up two draft picks to move up two spots? Anyone else think Garth Snow isn't nearly as incompetent or inept as everyone thought he'd be?

R.J umberger and 4th roud to Columbus for 19th and 3rd round pick to phillie

YEEEHAAA!!!

The habs killer is now in the western conference!!!

So Fletcher gave up two draft picks to move up two spots? Anyone else think Garth Snow isn't nearly as incompetent or inept as everyone thought he'd be?

He is not nearly as bad as he could have been. He has turned one pick into 4 now, and has only dropped from #5 to #9.

Edited by Mils

YEEEHAAA!!!

The habs killer is now in the western conference!!!

Umberger had the series of his life vs Montreal...

look at what he did vs Washington - nothing, look at what he did vs Pittsburg - nothing

Philadelphia robbed Columbus...

gosh, I despise Bobby Clarke...

GO :hlogo: G0![colour=#FF0000][/colour]

Edited by shortcat1

That's funny. I guess Gainey is thinking if equipment size is going down and it will be measured against each individual and his actual size for protection he will find the biggest and fattest hunk of human to put in net.

Is he any good? He looks good.

Fat%20and%20Smoking.jpg

I agree with shortcat - awesome move by Paul Holmgren, I really like the way he's been running Philly.

How does florida get so ripped off in two trades in 3 years?? Ballard and Boynton, are you kidding me?

I don't think the trade is so terrible. They got Vokoun last year, they are trying to build from the back end out. Vokoun kept them in many games last year but teams that build around their goalie always need a good defence to be competitive. That is the difference between legitimate teams like the Rangers, Canucks and Stars versus a team like Florida or the Islanders. Here, Florida adds two good defenceman to Bouwmeester and they've now got one of the better defence units in the East. Of course, after Horton, they've got almost nothing up front and it'll take them at least a couple more seasons for them to change that but I think this was a decent deal for them. Take into account that Jokinen had publicly demanded a trade so his value was limited and that the Panthers also got a decent pick thrown in and I don't think it is so bad.

Phoenix will get the reverse effect. If you throw Jokinen into a forward pool that includes Shane Doan, Peter Mueller, Martin Hanzal, Kyle Turris, Mikkel Boedker, Viktor Tikhohnov and then Sjostrom, Carcillo and now Alex Bourret. They are in great position there. Their D is going to be shaky for a while though, they don't have much after Jovanovski as all their other good defenceman tend to get traded away as playoff rentals.

That's what they're saying.

And Tanguay? There won't be any room for Sundin then, that's for sure.

We can afford both Tanguay and Sundin. As of right now, we have 41 million dollars committed to 17 players - that is including Tanguay. Let's say that Sundin and Andrei Kostitsyn together will cost 10 million dollars, which I think is reasonable. That leaves us at 51 million with Gorges, O'Byrne, Halak and Grabovski left to sign - Streit will have to leave. I imagine it would cost something like 2.5-3.5 million to re-sign each of those four players - I don't see any of them making over a million bucks. Worst case scenarion, we are left sitting at 54.5M under a 55M cap. That's pretty risky but then you take into account that we may be giving one of those players to Toronto as compensation for Sundin and we gain a tiny bit more breathing room. That will be cancelled out by the possible call ups of Chipchura, D'agostini and one of Carle/Valentenko. In short, our four UFA - Ryder, Smolinski, Brisebois and Streit - are gone and we are pushed right up to the cap. That would leave us with the option of buying out Dandenault and I think we would have about a million dollars of wiggle room. That is cutting it very close but I think it is worth it if it means icing one of the best formations in the world.