Compensation for Sundin?

Peter Puck

Okay, it seems clear that Gainey and Fletcher have a deal whereby we compensate the Leafs if we sign Sundin.

I expect it doesn't matter whether we sign him before or after the deadline. I also think (hope) that we give up nothing if Sundin doesn't sign.

My question to you is: What do you think we have promised the Leafs.

My guess is that the Leafs will get Grabovski if we sign Sundin.

Edited by Peter Puck

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Sportsnet, Gainey has confirmed that the Habs and TO have a deal, which will be consummated in the event that we do sign Sundin. That's vague, on the one hand, but on the other, we definitely know that we won't be getting Mats for "free."

I agree that the key cog could be Grabs. But you know...Francis Bouillon has been mentioned in connection with the Leafs in the past. Moving him would help to clear up some salary space for the Habs, and he could conceivably add value to a Leafs' blueline that will likely be McCabe and/or Kubina-free next season. But it doesn't fit with a 'rebuilding' plan. Nonetheless, it seems like one not-too-implausible possibility.

In any case, I'd be amazed if it were draft choices, given what's gone on today. It would be unlike Bob to deplete the shelf of future picks even further.

Drat, I hate this element of anxiety. While I'm sure that Bob would NOT move a Latendresse or other blue-chip prospect just to "talk" to Sundin, nonetheless a certain worry will be lodged in my wee brain until this thing is finally resolved. It had BETTER not be a Chipchura or other blue-chipper, or I will go from triumph to aggravation in record time. :rolleyes:

It's probably something relatively valuable, Fletcher probably wouldn't give something up for nothing in return. Higgins seems like the guy who would make the most sense from a Toronto stand-point, they seem to be moving towards the Brian Burke - Pierre McGuire school of North American hockey, plus Higs was supposedly on the table before. But, that was at the deadline, and the Leafs are in a squeeze at this point, as there doesn't seem to be much to make Mats want to go back to TO. But I can't imagine the package going the other way being as insignificant as Grabovski-Fischer or something like that. Sportsnet mentioned that the Leafs have offered him one year at 7mil with a no-movement clause, but he could get 1-2 more from us I think. Here's hoping we can get him for nothing! :hlogo:

I would be shocked to see anything of significant value going to Toronto. My guess would be a pick and a player like D'Agostini. Higgins is too much alone for a player who is gone for free in 2 weeks.

I just had a very chilling thought along these lines. What did Bob promise to give Cliff if Mats does sign with us. I think its something fairly good for Cliff to send him over to enemy numero uno.

:hlogo:

i do not believe that gainey is going to give up higgins to get to sundin. The leafs have no leverage lose him for nothing or take something. grabs yeh ok but that's about the limit cause in 10 days they could get him for zip.

Perhaps this is all just compensation for us shipping Gilmour back to them for a game a few years ago.

:hlogo:

Whatever the deal is with the Leafs it had to be something good

enough to have the Leafs make the deal and from a position of

strenght for us.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rights to Emelin might be involved.

Valentenko is more advanced because he's been in NA for a year.

McDonagh has higher upside so Emelin might be expendable.

Think about it, Emelin will probably want a NHL job when/if he comes

over next year. We might not have one if Valantenko is ready by

then. But, the Leafs should have the room and Emelin is a good

enough prospect for Fletcher to look good making this deal.

I can't see it being much - definitely not a roster player. Somebody on TSN commented that at best for Toronto it might be something along the lines of a 2nd round pick next year, which seems reasonable.

I don't think it has to be much for Fletcher to be interested - he's probably thinking that Sundin might sign with us (or somebody other than the Leafs) after July 1, so he might as well get what meagre return he can. If Sundin wants to stay in Toronto, he has the offer on the table to do so.

I can't see it being much - definitely not a roster player. Somebody on TSN commented that at best for Toronto it might be something along the lines of a 2nd round pick next year, which seems reasonable.

I don't think it has to be much for Fletcher to be interested - he's probably thinking that Sundin might sign with us (or somebody other than the Leafs) after July 1, so he might as well get what meagre return he can. If Sundin wants to stay in Toronto, he has the offer on the table to do so.

No sir. Montreal has exlcusive rights to Sundin until July 1st, at noon. That means Toronto has as much right to speak with Sundin as Nashville.

I would be surprised if this cost the Habs more then the equivalent of a 2nd round pick at most...a 3rd round pick would probably be fair. It could also be contingent on the length of any signing...

In the Gazette - "While neither he nor Toronto general manager Cliff Fletcher would go into the details, it's believed that the Canadiens will send a player to Toronto if Sundin signs."

I saw someone mentioned Bouillon. Perhaps, it would alleviate the salary cap crunch. If not, then perhaps a young guy like Grabovski.

Fletcher says - "Mats has always been interested in Montreal. Montreal is trying to see if they can sign him now — and then we'll go from there."

I can't see it being a regular like Higgins or Lapierre. Like so many others have said, Mats is available for free in 9 days, so Fletcher has no real leverage. I'm thinking/hoping that Grabs and/or Dandy and a pick may suffice to sign Mats for a few years. I suspect the deal will be contigent on whether Mats signs and for how long.

No sir. Montreal has exlcusive rights to Sundin until July 1st, at noon. That means Toronto has as much right to speak with Sundin as Nashville.

I know, but it's been reported that the Leafs have offered him 1 year, $7 million, presumably before the Montreal deal came into effect. Toronto can't negotiate further with him until July 1st, but I would think he could just sign off on Toronto's offer if so inclined. All we have are exclusive negotiating rights right now.

I think it's been assumed that Sundin shrugged off the Leafs' offer. If we have exclusive negociation rights, there is no way he can sign a deal anywhere else. Even in Toronto, even if the deal was already on the table.

Or I guess maybe he could, but then Montreal wouldn't owe Toronto anything.

I guess in the end, it depends what is written and signed by Gainey and Fletcher. Fletcher has said that the Habs have exclusive rights to speak with Sundin. Good enough for me.

Another thought: We're just fans, do you know who is really creaming his pants?

Guy Carbonneau. His wife is probably beating him, trying to get him to not jump and run around while he's on crutches after his operation.

I have no idea. So, I grabbed this little piece of history from a year ago so we could perhaps compare and gauge what the offer might be:

Jun 18, 2007: Nashville Predators traded Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell to the Philadelphia Flyers for a 1st round selection in 2007.

That 1st round pick was for BOTH Hartnell and Timonen. Perhaps that's what it is - a 1st in 2009.

Ouch,

A 1st and 2nd gone for 2009? But I suppose if you look at the roster depth and prospects, it couldn't hurt too bad.

We'd still have Washington's 2nd round pick, right? I see your point though... sounds a little too much like Toronto's usual strategy. Timmins and his crew will have to pull off some miracles.

I would be surprised if this cost the Habs more then the equivalent of a 2nd round pick at most...a 3rd round pick would probably be fair. It could also be contingent on the length of any signing...

wow

Plekanec
I fear it might be Higgins. He was part of that rumour for Sundin at the deadline. Who or what we give Toronto is really tough to gauge. This has only happened once before! It's hard to predict the payment since there's no historical precedent beyond the Philadelphia-Nashville deal. With only one example on hand, how do we know if it'll cost more or less than it did to the Flyers? It could be a 1st rounder or it could be a roster player.

I'm stumped. :blink:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien