Compensation for Sundin?

Peter Puck

I fear it might be Higgins. He was part of that rumour for Sundin at the deadline. Who or what we give Toronto is really tough to gauge. This has only happened once before! It's hard to predict the payment since there's no historical precedent beyond the Philadelphia-Nashville deal. With only one example on hand, how do we know if it'll cost more or less than it did to the Flyers? It could be a 1st rounder or it could be a roster player.

I'm stumped. :blink:

Any of the following would be an OBSCENE price to pay for the right to talk to Sundin:

-Higgins

-Lats

-Plekanec

-either Kostytsin

-O'Byrne

-any of our top defensive prospects

-Chipchura

-Gorges

-Kostopolous

Prices that are high but tolerable:

-Lapierre

-Stewart (no one's mentioned him...)

-Grabovski

-Dandenaeult

-Bouillon

-Begin

Other prospects, like D'agostini, I don't know enough about to say. Philly got 2 low-end picks back for Prospal. That precedent suggests to me that even giving a roster player back is excessive. Bob had better be careful here.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that if we do sign him, we'll be giving up a player like Higgins... and if not, perhaps a late round pick in '09? Maybe the terms of the deal would have an impact too... 1yr deal= Grabovski, 2yr = Higgins. Either way, Sundin would be an incredible addition to our team.

Go Habs Go!

It is believed to be a roster player going to the Leafs (Habsinsideout reporting?)

I really hope it isn't Higgins, that would be tough to swallow.

Grabovski would make sense from our prospective but I don't know about Torotnto's.

What if it was a deal that included a trade of Halak and Raycroft? I'm just speculating...It doesn't make sense from our prospective.

I guess we will know where we stand in just over a week.

I'll predict Grabovski. Colin, we already dealt our second next year and I think the Leafs would want something more immediate then a 2010 pick that seems likely to be between 50th and 60th overall.

Any of the following would be an OBSCENE price to pay for the right to talk to Sundin:

-Higgins

-Lats

-Plekanec

-either Kostytsin

-O'Byrne

-any of our top defensive prospects

-Chipchura

-Gorges

-Kostopolous

Prices that are high but tolerable:

-Lapierre

-Stewart (no one's mentioned him...)

-Grabovski

-Dandenaeult

-Bouillon

-Begin

Other prospects, like D'agostini, I don't know enough about to say. Philly got 2 low-end picks back for Prospal. That precedent suggests to me that even giving a roster player back is excessive. Bob had better be careful here.

Agreed! The Habs should not have to pay more than a 2nd round pick or somebody that we can afford to let go (ie: Grabovski, Stewart, Emelin) anything more than that and it would be way too much.

On a different note, I really HATE hearing all these rumours about Higgins being traded. This guy has mentionned often enough that the Habs were his favourite team growing up and that he loves to play for the Habs. He is happy in Montreal and he ensures that Komisarek is happy as well(they are good friends). Trade higgins away, and you might encourage Komisarek to try free agency in a year...and THAT is not good news!

Edited by Habsfan

I'll predict Grabovski. Colin, we already dealt our second next year and I think the Leafs would want something more immediate then a 2010 pick that seems likely to be between 50th and 60th overall.

We have Washington's 2nd rounder in 2009 from the Huet trade as well.

First ...It has to be at least a second round pick... otherwise fletcher would have given the rights to talk to any forsaken team

Second... I truly think Sundin is interested in MTL... probably not the only team he is interested in but still were one of them.

Third... I think were giving a roster player (hopefully Defence) because regardless Gainey has to decrease the cap hit. If Gainey is giving Sundin 6 mil a year then we gotta let go at least 1.5 Mil...

Look what Philly gave Nashville for rights to talk to their UFAs prior to last year. Wasnt as crazy as Higgins, Lats or whatever other insane names have been thrown around lately.

Not to mention that Sundin is 37.

Will probably be a draft pick or some useless prospect.

Look what Philly gave Nashville for rights to talk to their UFAs prior to last year. Wasnt as crazy as Higgins, Lats or whatever other insane names have been thrown around lately.

Not to mention that Sundin is 37.

Will probably be a draft pick or some useless prospect.

The compensation has to be Grabovsky. Gainey all but said it himself on the first day in Ottawa.

Uncharacteristically Gainey had two quotes that tipped his hand.

"We are here (in Ottawa) to see if we can acquire a player, through trade, that we like"

When asked about Grabovsky's future with the Habs "It's hard......a mix really... yes and no"

So if we can follow these in hindsight, Gainey was talking about trading for Tanguay (possibly Sundin) that he had worked on for three weeks with the first quote.

And with the second quote maybe he was talking about Grabovsky as compensation for Sundin's signing, that's why it was "hard to say".... Yes he has a future here, but no he doesn't have a future here if Sundin signs before July 1st.

The compensation has to be Grabovsky. Gainey all but said it himself on the first day in Ottawa.

Uncharacteristically Gainey had two quotes that tipped his hand.

"We are here (in Ottawa) to see if we can acquire a player, through trade, that we like"

When asked about Grabovsky's future with the Habs "It's hard......a mix really... yes and no"

So if we can follow these in hindsight, Gainey was talking about trading for Tanguay (possibly Sundin) that he had worked on for three weeks with the first quote.

And with the second quote maybe he was talking about Grabovsky as compensation for Sundin's signing, that's why it was "hard to say".... Yes he has a future here, but no he doesn't have a future here if Sundin signs before July 1st.

Agreed. It's not Plekanec or Higgins or anyone we're freaking out about. Fischer is an interesting possibility, given that he doesn't appear to be likely to fulfill his 1st-round potential as a top 2 Dman. Then again, he could well pull a Hainsey on us.

Anyway, insert metaphor about chickens and hatching eggs.

maybe Grabs + Dandenault? Give the leafs a young speedy prospect and they sweeten the deal by taking on a short-term salary concern

If they can rid themselves of McCabe then they would be all over that deal. Either way I think adding to Grabovsky is too much.

i've got a really bad feeling that we are going to lose Higgins if Sundin signs. With the exception of the Kovy trade, Gainey tends to not only overpay in trades, but also overpay in his FA signings.

I will be really pissed if we lose Higgins and pick up Sundin (who was a FA in 12 days anyways), and picked up Tanguay. Higgins has way more upside then Tangauy and is a much more complete player. I'd even say giving up someone like Lapierre is too much for the SUndin signing, but he is the othe guy i see the leafs wanting.

If all we are giving Grabovsky or even the cube, i'd be ok with that, but i can't see the leafs being satisfied with just picking up those guys - even if they are trading the rights of a guy who was going to walk. Teams are overpaying for negotiating rights and gainey has a history of overpaying.

Contrary to what I said in the opening post, I heard Bob Mckenzie say that we will compensate the Leafs whether or not we sign Sundin. McKenzie mentioned that even if we don't sign Sundin we would give the leafs some small compensation.

Since we are only getting 12 extra days I am sure we won't be giving Higgins or anything like that even if we sign Sundin.

One thing I think many people have overlooked is that this was really a great move by Gainey (provide the compensation isn't too high).

The beauty of this move is that Sundin has 10 days to decide if he will sign with us. If he doesn't we can push full out for Hossa starting July 1st. Without the deal with the leafs, Gainey would have been dealing with both Hossa and Sundin starting July 1. A likely outcome would have been either Hossa signing with us before Sundin had made up his mind or else Gainey waiting to hear from Sundin while Hossa signs elsewhere.

Spector reports this......

"TORONTO STAR: Kevin McGran reports Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey is expected to fly to Sweden this week to meet with Mat Sundin in hopes of convincing the now-former Maple Leafs captain to sign with the Habs.McGran also reports if Gainey is successful in signing Sundin the compensation to the Leafs, who granted Gainey permission to negotiate with him, will likely be a player rather than a draft pick, suggesting winger Chris Higgins might be heading to Toronto.

TORONTO SUN: Mike Zeisberger reports of speculation the Habs might ship their first round pick in 2009 to Toronto as compensation for Sundin.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Gainey is going for it this summer to improve his team's chances of winning the Stanley Cup next season. I agree with McGran's suggestion that the return could be Higgins, as the Habs will need to free up some cap space to comfortably absorb Sundin's possible contract, newly-acquired Alex Tanguay's $5.25 million for next season, and for Andrei Kostitsyn's new contract.

Is this wishful thinking on McGrans part, or could it be that Gainey would consider this a fair trade.

I like all the speculation for compensation you all have written......Grabs, draft picks etc....... but as usual seem to be easy trade offs for habs fans. I am a little worried that it just may be Higgins. Let's hope not.