Compensation for Sundin?

Peter Puck

It just goes to show you that all media have no idea whats going on with these negoations and just come up with stuff out of there asses.

I've heard everything thing from a roster player (Higgins, Bouillon, Lapierre, Grabovski), to a prospect Valentanko, Emelin, to a draft pick (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

Nobody has any idea what the compensation will be, but knowing Bob (Good idea of talent) and Fletcher (Draft Smaft), it won't be much.

The majority are not taking a common sense approach to their speculation. But common sense and Toronto

media do not go hand in hand.

The laziness and simplification of theories from guys like Simmons is rampant in the industry.

Higgins was linked, must be Higgins. Now, onto the next story. That is the depth of the coverage.

I would love for somebody to put a solid rationale was to why Gainey would include Higgins in the scenario.

An interview, some friction between the team and player, a overpriced contract, difficulty in previous contract

negotiations, a dislike for the franchise, taxes or city.

The ridiculous thing is that it is quite the opposite. Kid is praised by GM as a possible future captain, plays a game

that fits in with the GM and his staff, professes his lifelong love of the Canadiens, best friend plays on the team.

Sounds like a perfect fit to me. :rolleyes:

######ing Hack writers :puke:

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i'd like to thank you wamsley. You have managed to calm my nerves. I was really starting to worry about Higgins. You've convinced me that it would be a really stupid move on the part of Bob to trade higgins away just for 10 days of discussion rights with Sundin.

I will sleep better tonight (but that's mostly because i'll be drunk after a long evening of celebrating la St-Jean!!! :D :que: :clap: :hlogo: )

Well, i'd like to thank you wamsley. You have managed to calm my nerves. I was really starting to worry about Higgins. You've convinced me that it would be a really stupid move on the part of Bob to trade higgins away just for 10 days of discussion rights with Sundin.

I will sleep better tonight (but that's mostly because i'll be drunk after a long evening of celebrating la St-Jean!!! :D :que: :clap: :hlogo: )

:) No Prob

I am also surprised that a lot of people are paranoid he will not sign. If he really wants to be a UFA

why didn't he pull what Ryan Malone did with Columbus and say don't even bother.

If he turns down a face to face with Gainey in Sweden I will be shocked. It will be interesting to see how

he reacts to going from one of the most dysfunctional franchises in pro sports to one that is lead by

Mr. Class Bob Gainey.

I am quite sure the compensation is Grabovski though Gainey words it as if we are going to get something back, he says that "things will be exchanged" or something, as if there would be a trade in Toronto's favour. I don't really care, we are not going to lose anything of value to us.

I am quite sure the compensation is Grabovski though Gainey words it as if we are going to get something back, he says that "things will be exchanged" or something, as if there would be a trade in Toronto's favour. I don't really care, we are not going to lose anything of value to us.

Whether the price is Grabovski or a 2nd or 3rd round pick, i'd be happy. I'm really not a big fan of Grabovski.

Whether the price is Grabovski or a 2nd or 3rd round pick, i'd be happy. I'm really not a big fan of Grabovski.

Yeah, I was disappointed in his grit. I have had my fill of quick perimeter players.

The Habs have had enough of those in the last 15 years to last my lifetime

Yeah, I was disappointed in his grit. I have had my fill of quick perimeter players.

The Habs have had enough of those in the last 15 years to last my lifetime

Not to mention the fact that this kid hasn't even played 20 games in the NHL and he already has started to complain about his playing time. Isn'T he the one who intentionaly missed the plane on their west coast trip last year? Not a very good sign for the future! :blink::wacko:

It will be very little, as in a what we got for Huet. Stop thinking we will give up a serious prospect. In a week, Sundin, the losingest captain in leafs history by the way, will be a UFA and the laughs will get nothing for him. Why do you guys think we would give up a top prospect for him? "If' we come to terms with him, we probably give them a future 2nd or 3rd round pick as a courtesy, which technically is all it would be. He is not he leafs property in 1 week! Maybe Locke or someone else we have given up on, Milroy or Grabs, but probably not.

Again, please note, if Mats signs, Saku will not be here come playoffs!! He is UFA after next season and will probably go at deadline or much sooner. I really believe that but am okay with it. Who wants to pay 4.5 mill for your 4th line centre? I call him that because I always call the checking line your 3rd as they get that much ice time matching other team 1st or 2nd. Also, why do you want an aging centre on the 4th line? That is for youth. He will be gone, which makes sense as he is a tie to the pre Gainey/Carbo regime and is not their choice for captain, but their predesessors. ( I believe he is the losingest Habs captain?) Did anyone else captain this francise this long without a cup?

Not to mention the fact that this kid hasn't even played 20 games in the NHL and he already has started to complain about his playing time. Isn'T he the one who intentionaly missed the plane on their west coast trip last year? Not a very good sign for the future! :blink::wacko:

That being said, I would prefer they only had to give up a middle round pick and Grabovski either

go to Hamilton or go to Russia and maintain his rights.

When it comes down to it though, he is a small price to pay to go to instant contender. :clap:

Again, please note, if Mats signs, Saku will not be here come playoffs!! He is UFA after next season and will probably go at deadline or much sooner. I really believe that but am okay with it. Who wants to pay 4.5 mill for your 4th line centre? I call him that because I always call the checking line your 3rd as they get that much ice time matching other team 1st or 2nd. Also, why do you want an aging centre on the 4th line? That is for youth. He will be gone, which makes sense as he is a tie to the pre Gainey/Carbo regime and is not their choice for captain, but their predesessors. ( I believe he is the losingest Habs captain?) Did anyone else captain this francise this long without a cup?

Not gonna happen my friend. What kind of message would the Habs be sending to their fans on this 100th anniversary of the team. IN a year where we will be aiming for the cup! You can never haver too many talented veteran forwards on a cup contender!

Saku will finish the season in Montreal.

It will be very little, as in a what we got for Huet. Stop thinking we will give up a serious prospect. In a week, Sundin, the losingest captain in leafs history by the way, will be a UFA and the laughs will get nothing for him. Why do you guys think we would give up a top prospect for him? "If' we come to terms with him, we probably give them a future 2nd or 3rd round pick as a courtesy, which technically is all it would be. He is not he leafs property in 1 week! Maybe Locke or someone else we have given up on, Milroy or Grabs, but probably not.

You obviously never watched the Leafs in the 1980s. When the Leafs employed glorious captains like Rick Vaive and Rob Ramage

Higgins-Koivu-S Kosts will be our checking line, facing off against the other team's top line, I think. Saku did a lot of head-to-head against top lines in the past few years. The 4th line will be an energy line.

With the other team's top checkers focusing likely on a Tanguay-Sundin-Latendresse combo, that leaves last year's #1 line (including Kovalev) free to line up against weak competition.... :clap:

Saks will stay, as long as he is prepared to accept a new role and a paycut.

Kovalev is the guy who is as good as gone.

"He will be gone, which makes sense as he is a tie to the pre Gainey/Carbo regime and is not their choice for captain, but their predesessors. ( I believe he is the losingest Habs captain?) Did anyone else captain this francise this long without a cup?"

You are so wrong, who the heck do you think signed him to his current contract. Saku will be a canadien for as long as he wants but yes his role will change and he probably won't the same salary next time. Oh and I think kovy is safe if he continues to play like last year.

Edited by habs rule

Again, please note, if Mats signs, Saku will not be here come playoffs!!

Not to pile on, but did you give this much thought? Mats, if he signs here at all, will likely only be here for 1 year, 2 at the most... but we should trade Koivu at the deadline because of Mats?

Higgins has been reported by some reporters to be part of the old deal, but I've never seen that confirmed in any way that convinces me. I cannot imagine Higgins getting moved, especially considering that he and Komisarek took parallel deals.

Here is a quote from Saturday's Globe and Mail:

Gainey said he didn't make inquiries about Sundin back in February at the trading deadline, largely because the impetus for a move "had to come from Mats."

This clearly shows there was no deadline deal with us giving up Higgins that Sundin vetoed.

Saks will stay, as long as he is prepared to accept a new role and a paycut.

Kovalev is the guy who is as good as gone.

Your both wrong if the Habs want to make a serious push for the 09 Cup they will need Koivu and Kovalev healthy and playing well. What team making a run deals a game breaker before the deadline?

Here is a quote from Saturday's Globe and Mail:

Gainey said he didn't make inquiries about Sundin back in February at the trading deadline, largely because the impetus for a move "had to come from Mats."

This clearly shows there was no deadline deal with us giving up Higgins that Sundin vetoed.

Ya I just read that too and realized I was very misinformed to start a Higgins compensation argument.

Your both wrong if the Habs want to make a serious push for the 09 Cup they will need Koivu and Kovalev healthy and playing well. What team making a run deals a game breaker before the deadline?

Koivu will be around for sure. Kovalev will be a game breaker if he plays like last year and not the year before, ditto for Tanguay. Regardless, they will all be around after the deadline. I'm thinking if we can land Sundin we do not have to have the #1 powerplay, lead in goals for or even end up in first place. I would rather have all guys mentioned above score timely goals and share that load through-out the season and play-offs winning games when they are most important, and not choking when we really need the wins.

If that was to occur, it would be a luxury us habs fans have not had for many,many years.

Koivu will be around for sure. Kovalev will be a game breaker if he plays like last year and not the year before, ditto for Tanguay. Regardless, they will all be around after the deadline. I'm thinking if we can land Sundin we do not have to have the #1 powerplay, lead in goals for or even end up in first place. I would rather have all guys mentioned above score timely goals and share that load through-out the season and play-offs winning games when they are most important, and not choking when we really need the wins.

If that was to occur, it would be a luxury us habs fans have not had for many,many years.

I mean that Kovalev is gone AFTER 2009. He will not be resigned as a UFA by the Habs, simply because we'll need the money in order to lock up our young guys and keep Tanguay, etc.. This is especially true if we have Sundin on a 2-year deal. However, I would definitely expect them to keep Kovalev past the trading deadline and into the playoffs, if he's having a good year. In other words, he'll play out his contract and then leave as a UFA. That would be my expectation.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241537&lid...s=topStory_main

Hold the phone... now TSN is reporting that Mats may not allow Gainey to come speak with him in Sweden and that he's leaning towards waiting until July 1st to speak with all interested teams...

It means nothing.

There is zero fact in that article, the only about it is the July 1st date and that it is an editorial from Bob McKenzie.

Bob's personal opinion does carry weight in the press, but not with the parties involved.

Edited by Habitforming

Spector reports NYR have also been given rights. Is this legal? Why not just give every team the rights based on "IF MATS signs with you the Leafs get .........." this is getting stupid. I'm not reading anymore bullshit and will save my energy to be or not be excited July 1.

How can two teams get exclusive rights?

They didn't. Sportsnet and others are pulling it out of thier asses now in hopes for any news related to Sundin.

Look here.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=608603

"There are other teams interested in Sundin - the New York Rangers and Detroit are believed to be among them - but Fletcher dismissed a Sportsnet report Monday that the Leafs had given the Rangers permission to talk to Sundin before giving the same opportunity to the Canadiens.

"That is absolutely untrue," Fletcher said yesterday. "We gave exclusive negotiating rights to the Montreal Canadiens and nobody else."

"

They didn't. Sportsnet and others are pulling it out of thier asses now in hopes for any news related to Sundin.

Look here.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=608603

"There are other teams interested in Sundin - the New York Rangers and Detroit are believed to be among them - but Fletcher dismissed a Sportsnet report Monday that the Leafs had given the Rangers permission to talk to Sundin before giving the same opportunity to the Canadiens.

"That is absolutely untrue," Fletcher said yesterday. "We gave exclusive negotiating rights to the Montreal Canadiens and nobody else."

"

Here is a pretty informative timeline on how things occurred. It all makes sense it just smells like Shannahan, Brierre, etc.....bullcrap all over again. I'm out!

Time line