Compensation for Sundin?

Peter Puck

Exactly, Habs cant afford both Sundin and Campbell. It definitely sounds like Campbell is Bobs Plan B this off season.

I blame the media in T.O. for all the stupidy regarding the missinformation of silly rumors.

Here the proof its the Toronto medias fault:

According to the papers I've been reading all week, the Habs will compensate the Laffs by giving the Laffs the Flames 2nd round pick in 2009. :wacko:

Not sure how the Flames feel aboot giving the Laffs the Habs 2nd round pick, but meh, thats what the geniuses in T.O. are reporting. :lol:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, Habs cant afford both Sundin and Campbell. It definitely sounds like Campbell is Bobs Plan B this off season.

I blame the media in T.O. for all the stupidy regarding the missinformation of silly rumors.

Here the proof its the Toronto medias fault:

According to the papers I've been reading all week, the Habs will compensate the Laffs by giving the Laffs the Flames 2nd round pick in 2009. :wacko:

Not sure how the Flames feel aboot giving the Laffs the Habs 2nd round pick, but meh, thats what the geniuses in T.O. are reporting. :lol:

Now you got to admit that would be a real coup by Big Bob but there would still be guys on this forum who would say he paid too much SIGH

lol :hlogo: :lol:

I can't really see Bob going after Campbell. Sure he'd be a welcome addition to the blueline, but we're already set contract-wise, and prospect-wise on D for years to come. Campbell would be seeking a long-term deal, and I personally can't see how that would fit into our long-term plans, unless Bob is planning on shipping someone out. Any D Bob will add will be depth D, but I think he's going to preoccupy himself with forwards this offseason.

Apparently Bob has no plans for Campbell. At the end of the doom-and-gloom Sundin article, front page RDS now.

'Gainey a par ailleurs fait savoir que le Canadien ne serait pas dans la lutte pour les services du défenseur Brian Campbell et que leur priorité était d'embaucher un joueur de centre comme Sundin.'

Transl: Gainey has also let it be known that the Habs will not be in the race for the services of Campbell, and that their priority is to get a centre like Sundin.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/254366.html

I have never felt that Sundin would come, even less so now, with the rumours that his camp want to suck up to the Rags. Still need a ctr, maybe a trade???

Edited by tokyohabs

Apparently Bob has no plans for Campbell. At the end of the doom-and-gloom Sundin article, front page RDS now.

'Gainey a par ailleurs fait savoir que le Canadien ne serait pas dans la lutte pour les services du défenseur Brian Campbell et que leur priorité était d'embaucher un joueur de centre comme Sundin.'

Transl: Gainey has also let it be known that the Habs will not be in the race for the services of Campbell, and that their priority is to get a centre like Sundin.

I have never felt that Sundin would come, even less so now, with the rumours that his camp want to suck up to the Rags. Still need a ctr, maybe a trade???

Well if the Rangers sign Sundin maybe they will part ways with Drury?

We're all getting ahead of ourselves. If Sundin is going to play, we are surely on his shortlist. Stay cool!!

We're all getting ahead of ourselves. If Sundin is going to play, we are surely on his shortlist. Stay cool!!

Yeah but if he does not sign before July 1st or at 12:01 on July 1st I think Bob will already be making other offers.

Yeah but if he does not sign before July 1st or at 12:01 on July 1st I think Bob will already be making other offers.

If Sundin does wait untill 12:01, then it is my understanding that the Laffs would recieve nothing. Maybe thats Sundin's sinister plan to screw the Laffs out of any compensation simply by waiting until the Free Agency ordeal begins. Sundin must feel somewhat betrayed by the way the Laffs are handling all this, so why would he sign before Jul 1st and reward the Laffs with some sort of compensation?

If Sundin does wait untill 12:01, then it is my understanding that the Laffs would recieve nothing. Maybe thats Sundin's sinister plan to screw the Laffs out of any compensation simply by waiting until the Free Agency ordeal begins. Sundin must feel somewhat betrayed by the way the Laffs are handling all this, so why would he sign before Jul 1st and reward the Laffs with some sort of compensation?

I can't imagine the Leafs would write the deal up like this. If I were the Leaf's attorney, I'd sell the negotiating rights for an assurance that if at any point during the free agency period Montreal acquires Sundin, the leafs receive compensation.

Well if the Rangers sign Sundin maybe they will part ways with Drury?

I'd love Drury at 4M per, but he's making 7M over the next 4 years,

I'd pass on him.

If, and it might just be media drivel. But if the Rangers want to sign

want to sign both Jagr and Sundin to 1 year deals with bonuses in

July, we should offer Jagr a two year deal. I still want Sundin, but

if they want him, lets play hardball. Lets make them choose who they

want more.

Higgins can move to C, if we got Jagr.

Its my understanding that the Rags, Habs, and Wings have been given rights to talk to Brian Campbell before Jul 1st. Striet could be gone, and Campbell in. Not sure if Habs could land both Sundin and Campbell, but if Sundin accepts an amount similar to what he was getting in T.O. maybe they could get both.

The Habs have no interest in Campbell and seem unlikely to even retain Streit. It looks like O'Byrne will be playing RD on Hamrlik's pairing.

I can't imagine the Leafs would write the deal up like this. If I were the Leaf's attorney, I'd sell the negotiating rights for an assurance that if at any point during the free agency period Montreal acquires Sundin, the leafs receive compensation.

You are right. The Leafs will surely receive compensation even if Sundin waits until after July 1st. Even if we had to wait, we were still given an advantage as we knew what Sundin wanted, had introduced ourselves and had an offer he might like waiting on the table for him. Otherwise, evenif we came to an agreement with Sundin, we would wait until 12:01 and just announce it then so that we get to keep Grabovski or whatever the compensation is.

Skeptical on Sundin-McGuire on Mitch Melnick's show - Habsinsideout link

I could have put this in the Sundin thoughts or permanent rumor thread but I'm so confused. Besides, this thread seems to be currently more active.

Too bad. BOb has to sweeten the pot or Sundin is going taking this down weekend 11th hour before he truly rubber stamps his own decision.

I hope :(

Skeptical on Sundin-McGuire on Mitch Melnick's show - Habsinsideout link

I could have put this in the Sundin thoughts or permanent rumor thread but I'm so confused. Besides, this thread seems to be currently more active.

Too bad. BOb has to sweeten the pot or Sundin is going taking this down weekend 11th hour before he truly rubber stamps his own decision.

I hope :(

Sundin doesn't strike me as going where the money is but at this point in his career to push for max pay-out I don't blame him. Gainey will play until it becomes stupid. He'll make the right call and match anyone if it makes sense. I would hate to land Sundin at 9 million or even 10 for 1 yr. Let the Rags have him or whoever else. Isn't 7 mil what the Leafs offered and he said no.....why would Gainey offer the same amount? There is a bit of crap in that article.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Sundin doesn't strike me as going where the money is but at this point in his career to push for max pay-out I don't blame him. Gainey will play until it becomes stupid. He'll make the right call and match anyone if it makes sense. I would hate to land Sundin at 9 million or even 10 for 1 yr. Let the Rags have him or whoever else. Isn't 7 mil what the Leafs offered and he said no.....why would Gainey offer the same amount? There is a bit of crap in that article.
BOb could go higher. I have no concern with going to 16 million on a two year contract. The catch is he has to clear cap space. I wonder if BOb has a plan B offer. Let's hope!

I definitely agree but I'm not sure if they have the legal rights to do something like that.

You are right. The Leafs will surely receive compensation even if Sundin waits until after July 1st. Even if we had to wait, we were still given an advantage as we knew what Sundin wanted, had introduced ourselves and had an offer he might like waiting on the table for him. Otherwise, evenif we came to an agreement with Sundin, we would wait until 12:01 and just announce it then so that we get to keep Grabovski or whatever the compensation is.

Are you absolutely sure that is allowed in the rules though? Or is that just what you believe? :) I tend to agree but I'm not so sure if it is allowed.

Heres why: Sundin is currently still under contract with the Laffs. The contract expires Jul 1st. Teams dont have to compensate another team when they sign a UFA that used to be under contract with them.

The entire point of trading for a would be UFA is solely to get the exclusive rights up until Jul 1st in the hopes that you can sign them before Jul 1st when they hit the open market and it turns into a crazy bidding war.

Like I said I'm not so sure if a team (Laffs) could legally get compensation for a player (Sundin) who is a UFA (after Jul 1st) when they sign with another team (Habs).

I completely agree with the Laffs wanting to add a clause like that but is it really allowed withing the rules?

Personally I think the Laffs fux0rd themselves by doing the trade on a conditional basis. The Laffs most likely should have outright traded Sundins rights to the Habs and been compensated either way even if the Laffs themselves resign him. The Laffs wouldnt be able to do any negotiations with Sundin until after Jul 1st or they'd get in trouble for interference because for those few weeks he'd belong to the Habs.

I hope Bob is asking Sundin what/who he would want to get him in Montreal. Bob should contact Gary Roberts agent and see if their might be any interest. Maybe the lure of Roberts could get Sundin in a Habs jersey? Who knows, but Sundin does and I hope Bob is asking him q's like that.

The longer this dancing around lasts, the less chances the Habs have of signing Sundin. I get the feeling that he's jerking the Habs around. I don't like the way this deal is going. It doesn't smell good!

The longer this dancing around lasts, the less chances the Habs have of signing Sundin. I get the feeling that he's jerking the Habs around. I don't like the way this deal is going. It doesn't smell good!

I wouldn't get so worried. We might not get Sundin, which wouldn't be the worst thing, but I don't think he is negotiating in bad faith.

Barry was quite amenable to having the rights transferred and I don't think he'd do that just to get a feel for the free market waters before July 1.

These things tend to go to the deadline, because that gives Sundin the maximum leverage in negotiation. If something gets done, it'll probably be on like June 30.

Sundin always takes forever to make up his mind. He never makes quick decisions.

If Gainey gets the chance for a face to face my $$ is on Gainey. If Sundin doesn't want to play

in Montreal, who cares. The Habs will still have the opportunity throughout the year to improve

themselves. They still have not traded any of their young depth and are already better through

the acquisition of Tanguay.

Gainey didn't think we were close last season, if he does this year he will pull the deadline trigger.

I am very impressed with Gainey's savy regarding his efforts to sign Sundin. If Mats is interested, Gainey has exlusive bargaining, if he is not, he can focus his efforts on other UFAs. If he does sign before July 1st, I suspect the cost will be a 1st rounder or high prospect. With Raycroft on waivers, I hope it isn't Halak.

I am very impressed with Gainey's savy regarding his efforts to sign Sundin. If Mats is interested, Gainey has exlusive bargaining, if he is not, he can focus his efforts on other UFAs. If he does sign before July 1st, I suspect the cost will be a 1st rounder or high prospect. With Raycroft on waivers, I hope it isn't Halak.

No way it is Halak. It is a pick or a marginal prospect.

I definitely agree but I'm not sure if they have the legal rights to do something like that.

Are you absolutely sure that is allowed in the rules though? Or is that just what you believe? :) I tend to agree but I'm not so sure if it is allowed.

Heres why: Sundin is currently still under contract with the Laffs. The contract expires Jul 1st. Teams dont have to compensate another team when they sign a UFA that used to be under contract with them.

The entire point of trading for a would be UFA is solely to get the exclusive rights up until Jul 1st in the hopes that you can sign them before Jul 1st when they hit the open market and it turns into a crazy bidding war.

Like I said I'm not so sure if a team (Laffs) could legally get compensation for a player (Sundin) who is a UFA (after Jul 1st) when they sign with another team (Habs).

I completely agree with the Laffs wanting to add a clause like that but is it really allowed withing the rules?

Personally I think the Laffs fux0rd themselves by doing the trade on a conditional basis. The Laffs most likely should have outright traded Sundins rights to the Habs and been compensated either way even if the Laffs themselves resign him. The Laffs wouldnt be able to do any negotiations with Sundin until after Jul 1st or they'd get in trouble for interference because for those few weeks he'd belong to the Habs.

I hope Bob is asking Sundin what/who he would want to get him in Montreal. Bob should contact Gary Roberts agent and see if their might be any interest. Maybe the lure of Roberts could get Sundin in a Habs jersey? Who knows, but Sundin does and I hope Bob is asking him q's like that.

I am not sure what it says in the rules but I would guess that they have the right to receive compensatiob. And if not, I don't find it hard to believe that Gainey agreed to ship them something on principle.

I am not sure what it says in the rules but I would guess that they have the right to receive compensatiob. And if not, I don't find it hard to believe that Gainey agreed to ship them something on principle.

I was thinking aboot this some more, and everywhere has it worded that the Laffs traded Sundins exclusive rights to the Habs. Would this not mean that even Fletcher can no longer talk with Sundin or he would be breaking the rules? Has he not publicly stated talking to Sundin since the "trade"? I'm certain Sundins agent has been in contact with Fletcher and isnt that against the rules?

It'd be so funny if the Laffs get docked a bunch of draft picks because Fletcher gets caught doing player interference. :lol:

I'm still not convinced that the Laffs will get any compensation if the deal is signed after the deadline. UFA's can sign anywhere and after the deadline he is teamless until he signs somewhere.

Like you said then why not just just wait to sign until after the deadline and screw the Laffs out of some picks. Technically they could do that, but I'm fairly certain that would fall under the same player interference rules and that the Habs would loose draft picks if they could proove there was any coersion or improper dealings in the negotiations. After all they are all supposed to be professionals and there are rules to ensure that they are.

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

I'm still not convinced that the Laffs will get any compensation if the deal is signed after the deadline. UFA's can sign anywhere and after the deadline he is teamless until he signs somewhere.

Like you said then why not just just wait to sign until after the deadline and screw the Laffs out of some picks. Technically they could do that, but I'm fairly certain that would fall under the same player interference rules and that the Habs would loose draft picks if they could proove there was any coersion or improper dealings in the negotiations. After all they are all supposed to be professionals and there are rules to ensure that they are.

I agree with your first sentence. I thought Gainey was pretty clear in stating that the compensation was contingent on Sundin signing before the deadline, but I could be wrong.

As for the second, I think it's a moot point. The compensation is likely someone or something that Gainey has no major issue parting with if we get Sundin.

Hopefully this works.

Just curious to see how optimistic everyone is.

Sorry - I tried to make this a poll but screwed up!! :) Feel free to delete, moderator.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber