Compensation for Sundin?

Peter Puck

I certainly hope so, tough I'm not holding my breath

I predict he will end up either in Toronto or Detroit. The Rangers have too much $ tied up at centre with Gomez and Drury as it is tough, I dont think getting Sundin is a smart move for them. Unless Sundin takes way below market value to play in New York, he wont play for them.

One thing I'm sure of tough, Sundin will be playing in the NHL this season. All this retirement talk is pure BS.

Edited by Jean

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly hope so, tough I'm not holding my breath

I predict he will end up either in Toronto or Detroit. The Rangers have too much $ tied up at centre with Gomez and Drury as it is tough, I dont think getting Sundin is a smart move for them. Unless Sundin takes way below market value to play in New York, he wont play for them.

One thing I'm sure of tough, Sundin will be playing in the NHL this season. All this retirement talk is pure BS.

When have the Rangers been about smart moves?

I still think the odds are that Sundin signs with the Habs. They have the $$ and they have the opportunity.

He will not return to the Leafs. Do you think the Leafs would have traded his rights in a deal where they get absolutely

nothing if he does not sign if they were confident of resigning him? They jerked him around at the deadline and they

have torn apart the team. He will not be back in T.O.

I think that Swedish thing is overplayed as well. Not like the Leafs were

stocked with Swedes.

If the Habs present the best opportunity for him, he will be in Montreal. But a darkhorse from out of left field would not

surprise me either.

I hope he doesn't pull a selanne and wait to see which team has alegit chance to make it and sign there in febuary.

I agree with your first sentence. I thought Gainey was pretty clear in stating that the compensation was contingent on Sundin signing before the deadline, but I could be wrong.

As for the second, I think it's a moot point. The compensation is likely someone or something that Gainey has no major issue parting with if we get Sundin.

Yes, that is also my understanding as well. If the Habs dont sign Sundin then they owe them nothing. Thats what is so confusing aboot it. If Laffs traded the Habs exclusive rights to the Habs then Fletcher cant be talking to Sundin or his agent, and Fletcher admits that he has been.

My second point was more like the punishment for player interference (iirc it is 5 1st round picks) is so severe that it makes it way to dangerous to consider doing. Thats what keeps the players and GMs honest in negotiations.

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

I hope he doesn't pull a selanne and wait to see which team has alegit chance to make it and sign there in febuary.

Me too. But based on his statements at the trade deadline last year, I would doubt that would be the case. If he's going to play, it'll be with the same team all season long. He has no desire to jump on a bandwagon.

I was thinking aboot this some more, and everywhere has it worded that the Laffs traded Sundins exclusive rights to the Habs.

I'm still not convinced that the Laffs will get any compensation if the deal is signed after the deadline. UFA's can sign anywhere and after the deadline he is teamless until he signs somewhere.

I am certain that if we sign Sundin we will have to pay the Leafs some compensation regardless of whether or not it is after July 1. The Leafs are not so dumb as to miss seeing that otherwise we can just wait until July 1. This is an easy clause for the Leafs to include when we made the deal. I also think that we will even pay some small compensation even if we don't sign Sundin.

We traded for the opportunity to get first crack at Sundin. This is actually worth quite a bit to us. It has allowed us to try to sign Sundin and to fall back on wooing Hossa if Sundin won't sign.

we definitely will be giving some compensation to TO one way or the other or why would TO do it? i know they are stupid but fletch has been around the block once or twice.

I wouldnt have beleived that I would have to ask this ask this on a internet forum, but do some of you know how to read? Seriously. :lol:

we definitely will be giving some compensation to TO one way or the other or why would TO do it? i know they are stupid but fletch has been around the block once or twice.

Apparently you do not know what conditional means. Habs owe Laffs compensation on the condition that they sign Sundin. Thats the entire basis of this thread is what the compenstaion could be. If it was guaranteed compensation then we would all know what exactly the compensation is. :P

Do you not know the difference between what a team would like to have happen and what is within the actual rules?

If the Laffs can receive compensation after Jul 1st for Sundin then why wouldnt every team in the entire NHL trade the rights to their would be UFA's so they too could get compensation for their UFA's? After all there other GMs that are experienced and have been around the block too. I'm sure the other GM's arent doing it because its not within the rules. :rolleyes:

Why would a team compensate a players former team when they are a UFA? UFA can sign anywhere and their former team gets nothing!! On Jul 1st at 12:01 Sundin is a free agent.

Yes, Bob could have waited and not traded for Sundins exclusive rights but then it would risk turning into a bidding war. Bobs had a head start by trading for Sundins rights and by trading for his rights for a few short weeks I'm sure it gave Sundin a good impression and that the Habs are serious aboot acquiring him.

If Sundin signs with Habs after 12:01 on Jul 1st he will have signed as a UFA, not a Laff, so why would the Laffs be compensated? Name 1 player who was a UFA and their former team got compensated when they signed elsewhere? You cant because its never happened because afaik its not allowed or I'm pretty sure it would have been done by now by somebody.

Do you really think Fletcher is a genius who just came up with a brand new tactic? Or a geriatric who is close to having Alzheimer's? Theres probably 29 other GMs smarter than Fletcher so you figure it out.

I wouldnt have beleived that I would have to ask this ask this on a internet forum, but do some of you know how to read? Seriously. :lol:

Apparently you do not know what conditional means. Habs owe Laffs compensation on the condition that they sign Sundin. Thats the entire basis of this thread is what the compenstaion could be. If it was guaranteed compensation then we would all know what exactly the compensation is. :P

Do you not know the difference between what a team would like to have happen and what is within the actual rules?

If the Laffs can receive compensation after Jul 1st for Sundin then why wouldnt every team in the entire NHL trade the rights to their would be UFA's so they too could get compensation for their UFA's? After all there other GMs that are experienced and have been around the block too. I'm sure the other GM's arent doing it because its not within the rules. :rolleyes:

Why would a team compensate a players former team when they are a UFA? UFA can sign anywhere and their former team gets nothing!! On Jul 1st at 12:01 Sundin is a free agent.

Yes, Bob could have waited and not traded for Sundins exclusive rights but then it would risk turning into a bidding war. Bobs had a head start by trading for Sundins rights and by trading for his rights for a few short weeks I'm sure it gave Sundin a good impression and that the Habs are serious aboot acquiring him.

If Sundin signs with Habs after 12:01 on Jul 1st he will have signed as a UFA, not a Laff, so why would the Laffs be compensated? Name 1 player who was a UFA and their former team got compensated when they signed elsewhere? You cant because its never happened because afaik its not allowed or I'm pretty sure it would have been done by now by somebody.

Do you really think Fletcher is a genius who just came up with a brand new tactic? Or a geriatric who is close to having Alzheimer's? Theres probably 29 other GMs smarter than Fletcher so you figure it out.

you should go back and read my post again cause reading ain't your strong suit nor is common sense. Bob and fletch have deal worked out bob gave him something for the right to negotiate with sundin IF he signs him that compensation will more than likely change and increase, that is what conditional means (you can look it up in a dictionary). If he signs with Montreal after july 1st nobody knows what the arrangement is but we still owe him something for the right to 2 weeks exclusive talks.

:wacko:

I don't buy that at all. I think if Sundin decides to test free agency and signs with the Habs on the 3rd, all bets will be off as for as compensation to the leaves. So what if Sundin doesn't sign with anyone till October? We would still have to compensate Feltcher if he signed with us?

I think Feltcher was just hoping that Bob could get him signed before the deadline, so he could get something for him.

Edited by BCHabnut

I don't buy that at all. I think if Sundin decides to test free agency and signs with the Habs on the 3rd, all bets will be off as for as compensation to the leaves. So what if Sundin doesn't sign with anyone till October? We would still have to compensate Feltcher if he signed with us?

I think Feltcher was just hoping that Bob could get him signed before the deadline, so he could get something for him.

I'd imagine the condition in the contract is for the beginning of the first camp or maybe preseason.

If that were the case, what would prevent the Habs and Sundin from reaching a contract agreement, but not officially announce it till after the free agent season begins? That would be totally bogus and unacceptable. It really is an odd situation, though, as any other time a trade is made before you can talk to the player. I don't know why we only have to give something up if he signs with us.

If that were the case, what would prevent the Habs and Sundin from reaching a contract agreement, but not officially announce it till after the free agent season begins? That would be totally bogus and unacceptable. It really is an odd situation, though, as any other time a trade is made before you can talk to the player. I don't know why we only have to give something up if he signs with us.

you sir can read and have common sense, there is no way that I as a GM in the NHL am giving up the exclusive rights to a player of this caliber without some return. Let us all remember even the laffs cannot negotiate with him now until july 1. It is The Habs or the highway until july 1 and I think we agreed to pay for that right. Pay attention pits got a 3rd round draft for the right and only the right to talk to Malone and Roberts if they sign both. Which it appears they did so they will get a higher draft choice ipso facto the condition. Now none of us know the agreement after july 1 but I would say that at least the leaves get what we promised them for the 2 week period. not really that hard to understand :hlogo: :clap: