Bonk Gets 3 year deal

puck7x

Until we know for how much, this news is pointless.

I hate this stupid policy of announcing a signing without saying for how much, how for it to come out the next day... I mean what's the ######ing point.

[Edited on 30-7-04 by Habs77]

Originally posted by Habs77

Until we know for how much, this news is pointless.

I hate this stupid policy of announcing a signing with saying for how much, how for it to come out the next day... I mean what's the ######ing point.

Its not pointless, at least we know the length. 3 years means that Bonk is now an extra year away from becoming a UFA and possibly leaving the club.

I'm guessing he's getting around 3 million a season.

the terms are not released because the NHL doesn't want people to know the relative salaries of players because it assists them in bartering. The NHLPA releases the value of the contract once it is registered in their offices because it helps players in bartering. The NHL would prefer that nobody knew anything about thier operating practices, because if they did it would be more difficult for them to make claims of poverty every year since the beginning of the league. They don't mind sooo much the release of salaries nowadays because they feel (apparently correctly) that giving the impression that athletes are overpaid and greedy lends them the support of the genreal public. Is it not amazing that almost no team ever folds considering how poor they all are? Is it not amazing that once a team is put on the block there is always a group willing to purchase the team.

btw - usually when you hear that a team is on the block but nobody is buying it is because the team falsely puts itself up for sale (it usually dismisses all offers as unstable) in order to devalue the apparent value of the franchise so that they can claim tax loss.

Originally posted by Tony

good to see they locked up bonk, would have been quite humiliating if this back fired in gainey's face meaning radek would sign with another team

He couldnt sign with another team, he was an RFA not a UFA. Why would Gainey trade a highly regarded goalie like Garon for a UFA?

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by Tony

good to see they locked up bonk, would have been quite humiliating if this back fired in gainey's face meaning radek would sign with another team

He couldnt sign with another team, he was an RFA not a UFA. Why would Gainey trade a highly regarded goalie like Garon for a UFA?

my mistake got confused with something else :/

Radek is taking a small pay cut. If I remember right his qualifying offer was something around 3.6 mil US.

Either way, if he's Perreault's replacement, he's worth the extra 400 000$ (well if you round if off). Bonk is taller, a tad faster and checks way better than Yanic (and probably more intimidating and in your face).

Hopefully, he won't live up to the lazy and heartless reputation Sens fan gave him. This is a new beginning for him in a new town and you never know. Unlike Ottawa, the media and fan pressure is alot larger in Montreal. If Radek doesn't live up to his side of the bargain, they'll [the media and the fans] will be all over him like white on rice.

Anyway, whatever happens I hope he doesn't flop. It would be so sweet if he develops a great chemistry with his linemates and proves angry Sens fan wrong. You know Gainey will look like a bigger genius if that occured.

Bonk is going to turn some heads this year, fo' shizzle.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev (Selanne)

Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Higgins-Begin-Ward

Markov-Rivet

Souray-Komisarek

Hainsey-Brisebois

Theodore

----------------------------------------------------------------------

:clap: Bob is on fire. Any guesses to Zednik, Ryder and the Sioux's salaries?

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev (Selanne)  

And what if there is no Kovalev and Selanne? Then what?

You're making an assumption that the Habs will have a big star next year. But if they don't get that star, I have to say, it'll be a huge disappointment.

Either way, if he's Perreault's replacement, he's worth the extra 400 000$

According to a lot of Senator fans, he's not. They claim he disappears mid-season. And unlike Perreault, he doesn't play his best during big games.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

According to a lot of Senator fans, he's not.  They claim he disappears mid-season.  And unlike Perreault, he doesn't play his best during big games.

I would take Bonk over Perreault. Bonk could turn around a new leaf with the habs, who knows. I can say that Perreault barely showed up the whole season. He had his good streak for awhile on the top line but thats it. If we were to keep him where would he go? No room on the top two lines and he's not a good 3rd line center, so Bonk is the way to go on this one. He can play boths ways and is bigger and can hit better than perrault.

Way to go Gainey, keep is coming!

Originally posted by habsfannr1

Bonk is surely a good addition for the team but 3.15 Mill. $ for a third line player?? Hopefully he won't be a "flop" as @Tony said ...

The depth-chart line numbering doesn't matter. It's the amount of ice-time that's important.

Koivu averaged 19:18 min/game last year.

Ribeiro averaged 17:04 min/game.

Juneau, who's spot Bonk will be taking, averaged 15:47. Factor in the strong likelihood that Bonk will get power play time that Juneau never received, and he's looking at ice-time on par with out top-two centres...

truthmonger-

Good point, Bonk will have just about as much ice time as Koivu or Ribeiro, and he will often play against the opposing team's top line, a very important role, a great addition!

We sign a first-line winger (Kovalev?) and i am delighted.

Exactly. I believe the plan is to be able to ice three good lines with offensive minded pivots.

I for one feel that Zednik is going to get a shot at playing wing with Bonk, especially if they sign Kovalev or a reasonable facsimile. My guess is they would play the "Kovalev" player with Koivu & possiblely one of the youngsters, Hossa or Perezoghan, then move Zednik on with Bonk & use Bulis or Ward with them. The the biggest void to fill would be that of the R&R lines wing!!!

[Edited on 2004/7/31 by Uwey]

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

:clap:  Bob is on fire.  Any guesses to Zednik, Ryder and the Sioux's salaries?

My guess for all these guys is that they all want raises. Hopefully they all get multi-year deals too.

My guess for Zednik is he probably wants something like 3 mil. US (hence why he filed for arbitration). But something in the range of 2.5-2.75 mil. and a scoring bonus is what they'll sign him for is my guess.

As far as Ryder goes, my guess is 800 000$ US with a scoring bonus obviously. I wouldn't blame him if he wants something like a million. He's sure as hell worth the million if he can show numbers like last season.

Finally, my guess on Souray is 2 mil. US. I hope he can make some noise and score like last season, well during the first half that is.

Perrault was good for us, but, we have players who are ready to fill his role... as in Mike Rebiero, taking his 2nd line Center position.... Perrault was never meant to play 3rd checking line center, which is why we picked up Bonk, who can play the role.

Management has obviously opted to let Perrault go, and give some youngsters a chance on the 4th line... for much less money. That is why they could pay Bonk a bit extra.

Speaking of yougnsters, I read an article stating that the Habs were very high on Perezoghin, particularly Dougie Jarvis. Jarvis has been a long time confidant of GM Bob Gainey's, so I'm wondering if the Habbies will break rank with the AHL suspension & give Perezoghin a long look in Montreal this season, if there is one???