Athletes You Hate

Ribeiro

The thread I started on the NHL board, "Teams You Can't Stand", gave me an idea to start a thread about athletes that annoy you, that you dislike or even hate. There's at least one in every sport that makes the front page news. :nono:

Be sure to read the intelligent and detailed explanations. Damn, I should so be a sports analyst...

This reminds me of "ESPN Headlines - Biggest Chokes/Flops".

Here's my list:

1. Todd Bertuzzi

The guy's an asshole. I've disliked him even before the Moore incident. Let's face it, he had 1 incredible season, and the season after that he was inconsistent. His incredible performance continued until December, around the time he signed a new contract. He disappeared for weeks on offense. He's a hyped up and totally overrated.

The way Bertuzzi fights annoys me as well. He doesn't really wait for to drop the gloves, he kind of just starts punching you (a reason for his suspensions). Not to mention his whole general attitude even before he came to the NHL when he chased an opponent's bus in the AHL or kicked an opposing player. He kicked an opposing player, which is one of the worst crimes in hockey.

The guy's good throughout the season, even if his scoring isn't as consistent as Naslund, but he's absolutely nothing in the playoffs. During the Minnesota Wild run, when his team was down a goal, he took a dumb penalty out of anger in the 3rd period costing the Canucks a chance for a tying goal and destroying any of the Canucks' momentum completely. In the regular season he's a star, in the playoffs, he deserves to be a healthy scratch. He's never had more than 2 goals in the playoffs, his assists max-out at 4. Yet, he plays along with the offensively talented Markus Naslund and Brendan Morrison.

2. Karl Malone

Karl Malone is a cheap player. He's an extremely talented version of Claude Lemieux, but his teams are the equivalent of the Buffalo Bills.

He's made it to the Conference Finals twice but ultimately failed to beat the Chicago Bulls. And, few people feel sorry for him.

Karl Malone is a dirty player that'll throw elbows at smaller guys, just like he did to the T-Wolves guards and just like he did to Steve Nash. The list goes on and on. Malone pulled the same crap against the Rockets when he tried to injure a player going up for a dunk. Malone has also elbowed former Bulls players such as Dennis Rodman. The list goes on and on.

But do you know what's even more shameful? He didn't do it against the Pistons. Not because he was injured, but because Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace were on the court. If Malone would have pulled that elbow on Richard Hamilton, he would have left the court in a stretcher within 30 seconds. Rasheed Wallace, king of technical fouls and ejections, won't hesistate to punch someone like Malone in the face for something so cheap. Ben Wallace, well...just look at his arms and ominious face. You want to mess with those two? If Malone was tough, he would pull his cheap moves on any player of any size, too bad he only chooses small point guards.

Lastly, Malone is a loser. He went to the Lakers to win the NBA title but failed miserably. Just like he failed twice before that. He won't win an NBA title unless he's on the dream team (even though the Lakers were close). I liked how a NBA commentator put it, "If you ever need a championship ring, feel free to borrow your daughters (WNBA champion)."

3. Ryan Leaf

Most people know his story, and most sports fans dislike him too. No need to elaborate.

4. Yaarko Ruutu

The guy isn't on the Canucks to play hockey. He picks fights with people like Zholtok, he'll mouth off just to iritate the other team in hopes of getting a penalty. He'll mock other players, cause fights and go after players recently injured.

That's not hockey. I understand that the NHL has it's enforcers, but enforcers hit hard, check and at least play some defense. Ruutu does none of this. I don't think he should be in the NHL unless he does. He's basically in for being an annoying ass.

5. Brad May

Yes, another Canuck. Aside from the ones on this list, I have respect for the rest of the team.

May talks a lot of crap, but never backs it up. How many times must we watch this guy get his ass kicked? When he fights, he loses. It sucks to watch, and he's got virtually no other skills.

He also threatened Moore. So tell me May, why was Cooke doing your dirty work for you, while you sit on the bench doing nothing?

6. Dan Cloutier

Dan Cloutier is a chicken-shit. Aside from his constant choking in the playoffs, he's inconsistent in the regular season.

He doesn't realize it either. In interviews, he says the Vancouver fans are too quick to judge when they boo him. How about just admitting you suck?

When he does lose badly, he tries to fight. Except he doesn't let you know, he just walks up to players and punches them. He punched Roloson for playing better in the playoffs.

Against the Oilers, he slapped his opponents with his stick at the end of the game while the Oilers were busy dealing with some of the Canucks players in a skirmish (he attacked from behind). When the Oiler players reacted, he quickly scurried behind the officials and his teammates. It's only a matter of time before someone decides to slug Cloutier.

Recently he was signed by the Canucks again. With poor decisions like that, it's no wonder the organization has never won a Stanley Cup and never will. They're the Buffalo Bills with less Conference Championships and the Senators with a worse goalie.

7. Vince Carter

The guy is overrated and if he never won the Slam Dunk contest, nobody outside of Canada would talk about him. He's horrible in the playoffs, and always injured in the regular season.

Everytime he's injured, he's on the ice screaming. A lot of fans in Toronto are tired of it and hoping for a trade.

8. Steve Francis

The way he dumped the Grizzlies after drafting him pisses me off. All the other players are happy to be drafted into the NBA, but not him.

He was also pissed when he was traded to Orlando.

Good player though.

[Edited on 2004/8/3 by Ribeiro]

1. Barry Bonds - steroid using record holder

2. Eric Lindros - cry baby didn't want to play in Quebec, look where it got him

3. Ray Lewis - should be in prison

4. Allen Iverson - pure jackass, I hope the US loses simply because the coach made him co-captain

5. Patrick Roy - the only player on my list of favorite and least favorite players ;)

4. Allen Iverson - pure jackass, I hope the US loses simply because the coach made him co-captain  

I agree, he's pretty dumb. His disagreements got Coach Larry Brown dismissed, despite the fact that Larry Brown was former Coach of The Year.

I guess it was better for Brown anyways, since he went on to win the NBA Championship.

1. Barry Bonds - steroid using record holder  

We don't know that for sure ;)

4.  Carlos Boozer  

5.  Terrell Owens

Boozer didn't do anything wrong, except use the Free Agent Market. Sure, he gave Cleveland his word, but Cleveland's fault for believing him.

Owens is simply extremely passionate. If you hate loud mouths like him, then you probably hate most of the NFL.

I like TO, but only because he has been a key component of my fantasy team since Rice left SF. He is more than just a loud mouth. He always bitches and complains and disrespects the coach. I would not have him on my team in real life. I'd get guys who want to play, not talk.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

I like TO, but only because he has been a key component of my fantasy team since Rice left SF.  He is more than just a loud mouth.  He always bitches and complains and disrespects the coach.  I would not have him on my team in real life.  I'd get guys who want to play, not talk.

Yeah, there are a lot of those guys in the NFL.

I was going to addTerrell on my list at one point, but figured then I'd have to add Keyshawn. But I figured at least one of them would make an appearence in this thread.

:nono:

• 2 weeks later...

Tough one to come up with guys I hate, but here goes:

#1 Eric Davis, strictly because I was at an Expos game with me 10 year old neighbor when the Reds were in town. The kid asks Eric to sign his baseball card, and Davis went off on him and told him to ###### off, and then went into a tirade about how "all these little shits" just want his autograph so they can go sell it. Yell at me if you want, but to start cursing at a 10 year old is unforgivable. If I saw him crawling down the street, and run over just to kick him.

#2 Darius Kasparaitus. No specific reason, other than he's a kneeing bastard. I applauded the day the same thing finally happened to him.

#3 Kurt Warner "Oh, thank you lord for giving me this talent. I'm so glad I don't have to bag groceries anymore. Now give me my $10 million, you cheap St Louis bastards." If I had to listen to another Jesus speech from him, I woulda shot myself. And then he holds out for more money. Sigh.

#4 Ray Lewis. Other than the murder thing, he get pissed off a couple of years ago when Jerome Bettis mentioned Takeo Spikes in the same sentence as far as talent level. He said next time he met the Steelers, he was going to take Bettis' head off. I still wonder if he meant that literally.

#5 Mark Gastineau. Thanks for single handedly bringing the "sack dance" into the NFL, you classless jerk. Go try your hand at some more Celebrity Boxing. For that matter, I can't stand any "extended" celebrations. So you made a tackle on 2nd and 4, do you really have to act like you won the Super Bowl. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I should wait in the parking lot with a tire iron just to swat out the knees of some of these pompous bastards.

#6 Maybe it's kinda classless because he died a few years ago, but in the '80s there wasn't another racer I hated more than Dale Earnhardt, the master of the left turn into the rear quarter panel. He woulda wrecked his whole family to win a race. I'm still amazed he never killed anyone with his actions.

I've got lots of guys I don't like, but will stop here for now...

(You can include any Dallas Cowboys team since they've existed, or any Oakland Raiders team as well. Add the Rangers, Devils, Mets, Islanders, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, Sabres, Bills, Yankees to that as well. I'm from NY, and can't stand any sports teams from there, other than SU.)

• 2 weeks later...

I hate Stefan Holm. I don't know why but I just do.

And yeah, how can anybody hate Lance Armstrong, the only guy on the cycle tour that hasn't taken any illegal sybstance?