-- Permanent Floating Music Thread --

Doktor Kosmos

I'm actually taking a listening course at the university. It's four lectures by a man by the name of Staffan Söderström, who's currently working on his doctoral thesis in music history (or something like that) at a university called New York-Stony-something-or-other. I'm not sure I remember all the details correctly, but I'm fairly sure the guy's name is Söderström. Whatever his name might be, he's a great pianist. The course is called "From classisim to romanticism", the first class earlier this week was on Schubert and his Der Wanderer - Fantasie. First Söderström talked about how the genre progressed, he mentioned the greats that preceeded Schubert (Beethoven, Mozart and... well, right now I'm suffering from a mental block and can't remember the third guy). He then talked about Schubert specifically, and wrapped the whole thing up by playing the aforementioned piece. The whole thing took about an hour and a half.

It was quite an extraordinary experience. Being given more information about classical music made it much more enjoyable to listen to it than I have ever thought before. I can't claim to understand everything (for example, there are a lot of technical terms I had never heard of before, and I don't know how to read notes and such - I haven't the foggiest what a G minor is), but the lecture still opened up a whole other world to me.

I'm looking forward to the finishing three lectures (the next will also be on Schubert, the third on Weber and the fourth and final one on Mendelssohn).

on the way to north bay ontario today, i got to listen to mike roe's two instrumental cds - 'daydream' & 'orbis'

both are ambiant/meditational/mood/relaxation cds (not so much the 'orbis' cd)

very creative...

GO :hlogo: GO!

last night i assisted the 69 eyes show in montreal...anbd also cradle...but was mostly there for 69 eyes...got pictures and autographes too! awsome band

Edited by habs_in_the_blood

last night i assisted the 69 eyes show in montreal...anbd also cradle...but was mostly there for 69 eyes...got pictures and autographes too! awsome band

Noooo! I wanted to go to their show in Vancouver, but it was a Sunday night and I had class the next morning.

*pouts in the corner*

Noooo! I wanted to go to their show in Vancouver, but it was a Sunday night and I had class the next morning.

*pouts in the corner*

I'm pouting in the same corner because I had to work the same night that Rise Against and Billy Talent came to Calgary (last Wednesday). :(

Listening to Bloc Party a lot lately.

*pouts in the corner*

you wouldve loved the end of the show when the drummer mooned everybody lol

I'm off to see Shakira tonight in Antwerp. No kidding.

Fijación Oral.. ;)

You know, i envy you. I really wanted to see her, but her show is just a little to expensive for me right now. She will play this week also in holland. I'm a big fan, especially of her spanish work!!!

Report tomorrow ;)

Cool. I don't know whether Coltrane actually wrote the original though. Wasn't that piece (My Favorite Things) in Sound of Music or something like that?

ADD: Right now I'm listening to Miles Davis Quintet - My Funny Valentine

Edited by Doktor Kosmos