-- Permanent Floating Music Thread --

Doktor Kosmos

Same here, i'm so out of the blue about music sometimes. Like, as well as they seem to be big time headliners, I don't have a clue of who are Phoenix and Soundgarden or what do they sing...

I guess I could add one more, cuz I saw a clip of Hot Chip yesterday on Musique Plus, but I didn't really listen to it since I was cooking...

I used to listen to Soundgarden years ago when they sang Black Hole Sun. I believe it's comprised of some of the members of Radiohead or Audioslave. I don't remember.

Phoenix is a cool band. The lead singer's married to Sofia Coppola so they have songs in Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette. Listen to eh song 1901, it might sound familiar to you.

I can count 42 I've heard of.

I used to listen to Soundgarden years ago when they sang Black Hole Sun. I believe it's comprised of some of the members of Radiohead or Audioslave. I don't remember.

Other way around, Audioslave had a member of Soundgarden. Audioslave was basically Rage Against The Machine with Chris Cornell as the lead singer.

I can count 42 I've heard of.

Other way around, Audioslave had a member of Soundgarden. Audioslave was basically Rage Against The Machine with Chris Cornell as the lead singer.

Oh man. I thought he had been joking. Am I old if I remember Soundgarden?

No - because even I remember them and I'm probably a few years younger than you. You're old if you remember Vera Lynn.

No - because even I remember them and I'm probably a few years younger than you. You're old if you remember Vera Lynn.

Phew. I had to google that one.

I'm listening to Kate Nash's album now. She's good but a total rip off of Lily Allen (who I really like).

EDIT: Revised opinion: she strays from Allen's style but I feel like her best songs are actually the ones where she doesn't do that. I like the songs We Get On and Merry Happy the most. I still prefer Allen.

Naming good people with only one or two albums in this thread is really helpful. I'm much more eager to check people out when I know I can catch up on them really quickly.

I've heard of 8, and could only name a song by one of those (Green Day). I know Black Hole Sun, but didn't remember it was Soundgarden till I read the above comments.

You don't know any Lady Gaga songs? Go check out the Telephone music video right now!

Colin had me watch one of her videos, no idea what song it was. Some big, dramatic thing about jail with Beyonce.

That's the one.

You have good taste if you remember Soundgarden. :wub:

Broken Social Scene's Forgiveness Rock Record leaked a couple days ago.

I :wub: it.

And I just found a Kate Nash leak in V0! I have to get up early and want to go to bed but I think I might give this a listen first.

Edited by jetsniper

Seeing that Lollapalooza lineup i would definitely go for:

Mumford&Sons (i see them in 1,5 week, amazing folk revival band, seriously worth checking out, best albums from recent months)

Black Keys(i will see them once again at a festival in holland this summer, loudest duo on the planet. They rock so hard)

The Ettes (saw them as preshow on a kings of leon concert, it was bad. But i started listening to their album and its very good, i would give them another chance)

HEALTH!! (crazy band, just crazy)

The Dodos (lovely SF-scene sound)

The Temper Trap (great album, and definitely the best song of last year "sweet disposition")

Grizzly Bear

Matt&Kim

The XX (though you guys overrate their album, its ok, but much of the same.)

The Strokes and Arcade Fire speaks for themselfs.

MGMT, i never want to see them again. Seen them once and it was horrible, terrible live band.

Out of curiosity, how many performers from the Lollapalooza lineup do you know? (As in, you're familiar with their music.) I realized recently that I've been sleeping on music for the past couple of years and that there are now a ton of bands/people I don't know. From the entire lineup, I only know a few. Am I supposed to know 80%+ them?

Their are some very unknown bands on this list, jst breaking through that i havent heared of so i would say about 50% and your fine. The great thing about festivals is to get to know new bands. I just love it.

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Yeah it was kinda weird, most critics had it pretty high here, or pretty low. It was kinda mixed. But on a lot of musicwebsites it was in the top10.

I like it though, play it a lot, but i think there were better albums

F.E Temper trap and Mumford&sons.

Oh, it wasn't my top album of the year by any means. It was definitely up there though. Most critics seemed to have Animal Collective's at #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxHEoZkPBhQ

Did you hear about this, Jets?

A new collacoration between rapper B.O.B., Eminem and Hayley Williams (it was announced a while ago but the song just leaked).

EDIT: Now that I've listened to it.... damn! Eminem is back.

Hayley Williams? Paramore's Hayley Williams? On the same track as Eminem?

I don't know how but no, I didn't hear about it. I can't listen to it right now but I love it already. I <3 Paramore.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned you. I knew you liked at least two of the three people.

It's in the same class as Drop the World, the song he did with Lil Wayne that I assume you've heard now that the music video's been circulating. It's just a shade worse than his first three albums, but awesome stuff. Everything points to Recovery being an awesome album (much better than Relapse).

Yeah, that's why I mentioned you. I knew you liked at least two of the three people.

It's in the same class as Drop the World, the song he did with Lil Wayne that I assume you've heard now that the music video's been circulating. It's just a shade worse than his first three albums, but awesome stuff. Everything points to Recovery being an awesome album (much better than Relapse).

You know how much i love the beat. Drop the world >>>> Airplanes . The beat is not very tight, but Em's and B.O.B verses are good stuff.

Yeah, I like Drop the World even though I hate Lil' Wayne. Em pretty much kills in any collab he does. Relapse is probably my least listened Eminem album, just couldn't get past the voice. Still excited for Recovery though.

I've listened to Airplanes now, he kills it. Just classic Eminem. Beautiful chorus too, I love Hayley's voice. Props to Em for being on the same track as her, that should lend her some more credibility.

Yeah, I like Drop the World even though I hate Lil' Wayne. Em pretty much kills in any collab he does. Relapse is probably my least listened Eminem album, just couldn't get past the voice. Still excited for Recovery though.

I've listened to Airplanes now, he kills it. Just classic Eminem. Beautiful chorus too, I love Hayley's voice. Props to Em for being on the same track as her, that should lend her some more credibility.

Yeah, Drop the World was better - it even made Wayne listenable.

But this is awesome. The only thing that bothers me is that he uses the same flow as he did on Crack a Bottle. lol Bad memories.

Most importantly, everything seems to lead to NO ACCENT on Recovery. He's also said that he wasn't really satisfied with Relapse because it was too "jokey" and the new album's going to be more "emotionally driven" (like these past two songs).