Sundin: will he sign here? (Take 2)

Mats: predict the outcome  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are we a-gettin' Big Mats?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want him anyway

I wonder if Mats Sundin is considering signing for next to nothing in order to play with the Red Wings, so that he could perhaps retire as a champion instead of simply a great player that never won anything (in the NHL anyway).

Ken Holland was on the radio yesterday talking about the Hossa deal, and he was asked if the possibility of Detroit signing Sundin still existed. His answer was no.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Holland was on the radio yesterday talking about the Hossa deal, and he was asked if the possibility of Detroit signing Sundin still existed. His answer was no.

That will most likely not happen, but again, if Ken Holland is offered Mats Sundin on a silver platter, I'm sure he could change his mind :-)

naslund with the rags... how much cap space do they have to sign sundin???? Will they fall into the a category like Detroit where Sundin would be likely to sign at a rebate for a chance to win the cup?.... which would leave us as the only true contender with enough $ to pay for a fair price?

No chance Sather holds on that Cap space for a month

You gave Sather too much credit...

He couldn't hold on to his cap space for a day....

Sundin is on his way to Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal.

And my money is on us, seeing as to how it convenient from a distance perspective (Montreal is a shorter flight from Stockholm than the other two) :clap:

The Naslund signing is fantastic news for us. With NYR and Detroit out of the running - unless some team comes out of left field - Montreal now has to be considered the overwhelming favourite to sign Big Mats. TO is a basket case and the bridges there seem to have been burned. Vancouver is, at this point, in near-total meltdown mode, with zero impact signings, a rookie GM, and the loss of a major forward on a team with a useless offence. Neither seems likely to attract Sundin, unless he just wants the dough.

No one's mentioned the possibility that the Grabs deal might have been consummated because Gainey has received enough informal, unofficial assurances from the Sundin camp that if Mats plays, it will be with us. But given the backdrop, that does seem at least possible.

Anyway - great stuff.

The Naslund signing is fantastic news for us. With NYR and Detroit out of the running - unless some team comes out of left field - Montreal now has to be considered the overwhelming favourite to sign Big Mats. TO is a basket case and the bridges there seem to have been burned. Vancouver is, at this point, in near-total meltdown mode, with zero impact signings, a rookie GM, and the loss of a major forward on a team with a useless offence. Neither seems likely to attract Sundin, unless he just wants the dough.

No one's mentioned the possibility that the Grabs deal might have been consummated because Gainey has received enough informal, unofficial assurances from the Sundin camp that if Mats plays, it will be with us. But given the backdrop, that does seem at least possible.

Anyway - great stuff.

I hope you're right, Cucs!!!

Anyway - great stuff.

I Did!

Anyway - great stuff.

The NYR are certainly still in the running if they want to sign Sundin. If anything the Naslund signing could be an enticement to Sundin.

I find it highly improbable that the Gainey would trade Grabovsky based on assurances...and I also doubt the Leafs would have given a young prospect and 2nd rounder for Grabovsky if the Sundin deal had any influence. It is far more likely that Gainey knew Grabovsky wouldn't fit and also knew the Leafs had significant interest in Grabovsky since he was the probable compensation if they signed Sundin before July 1st. I know everyone thinks Gainey is a "classy" guy but let's not be naive. For one, the deal was before July 1st...there is NO successful GM who would simply say, after July 1st, "well, the player promised that IF he came back he would sign with us so I'll just trade you the guy you want since I want everyone to think I'm a nice guy. I don't know any business that works like that...you can be fair but your implication is that he's being charitable.

The NYR are certainly still in the running if they want to sign Sundin. If anything the Naslund signing could be an enticement to Sundin.

No, the Rangers are out. They are within a few million of the cap and still need to sign RFAs Nigel Dawes, Dan Fritsche, and Fredrik Sjostrom.

Really, I think Montreal and Toronto are his two choices right now. Here's why:

He said he doesn't want go west because he's too old to put up with all the traveling Western Conference teams do. That counts out Vancouver and teams like Minnesota and Nashville, playoff teams that still have the cap room to make a big offer. In the East, there are a few teams with playoff aspirations with enough room to sign Sundin. Buffalo didn't want to give Drury or Briere big money, so I don't see them going after Sundin. Carolina has the room and might fit nicely, but they have not expressed any interest in him. Montreal is the final team in the East that is playoff caliber and has the room. Assuming the team dumps Dandenault, they would have 10 million to get Sundin, O'Byrne, Gorges, Halak, and a spare D on the team. Finally, Toronto is still expressing interest in Sundin. Basically, if Sundin still wants to play and wants a chance at a Cup, he'll come to Montreal for whatever they can offer that will keep them under the cap. If he wants to retire as a Leaf, he'll sign there.

No, the Rangers are out. They are within a few million of the cap and still need to sign RFAs Nigel Dawes, Dan Fritsche, and Fredrik Sjostrom.

I could see Sundin signing up for only a few million...if he was only concerned with money he would have signed with Van city. There is no question the Habs are in a better position but I'm not ready to rule the Rags out of being able to convince him to sign on for a year...

It looks to me like the Habs would only be able to offer him something like 6 million for one year. I expect the Rags to be able to offer him something from 3-4 million. We really look like the favourites here but NYR is still in the picture. The longer we wait, the better the chances the Rangers blow their cap space. We know Gainey is going to save some.

It looks to me like the Habs would only be able to offer him something like 6 million for one year. I expect the Rags to be able to offer him something from 3-4 million. We really look like the favourites here but NYR is still in the picture. The longer we wait, the better the chances the Rangers blow their cap space. We know Gainey is going to save some.

Sundin will take a pay cut, but I doubt he signs for 4M just to play in NYC.

I really believe the Leafs have moved on and are putting out the word that they offered him a deal for public consumption.

I think the only way he signs with the Leafs is if Montreal does something drastic. I think Gainey is playing this perfect and

he will end up in Montreal or he retires

Agreed, I just checked NHL Numbers website, and according to them, the Rangers have a payroll of 52.9 million, and they still haven't signed Fritsche, Dawes, and Sjostrom. I just don't see them beeing able to pull this off, unless they trade somebody away.

BY the way, according to the same website, Montreal has a payroll of 47.3 million$

Edited by Habsfan

Sundin will take a pay cut, but I doubt he signs for 4M just to play in NYC.

I really believe the Leafs have moved on and are putting out the word that they offered him a deal for public consumption.

I think the only way he signs with the Leafs is if Montreal does something drastic. I think Gainey is playing this perfect and

he will end up in Montreal or he retires

I completely agree. If Sundin does decide to play, Gainey has shown Sundin patience and respect, and since we should be the only legitimate contender with the cap space, he will sign here.

I completely agree. If Sundin does decide to play, Gainey has shown Sundin patience and respect, and since we should be the only legitimate contender with the cap space, he will sign here.

Toronto (barely) and Vancouver still have enough cap room but I believe that it really is between us and the laffs or retirement which means (since I don't believe the big luvable dummy is going to retire) we are the odds on favorites at this point IMO :clap:

Edited by habs rule

Toronto (barely) and Vancouver still have enough cap room but I believe that it really is between us and the laffs or retirement which means (since I don't believe the big luvable dummy is going to retire) we are the odds on favorites at this point IMO :clap:

Well I somewhat agree but I think we will all be waiting for at least 3 or 4 more weeks.

Well I somewhat agree but I think we will all be waiting for at least 3 or 4 more weeks.

Agreed, I think he'll make up his mind by August 1st!

Let's hope he's decided by August 1st. It's torture enough waiting. but at the same time, I'm happy with the moves we've already made (we're already much stronger with Tanguay and Laraques) that I'm not suffering as much as if Sundin was the ONLY guy we were trying to bring in.

For the record, I voted yes, but I figure he'll either sign with us or retire. If not us, I think it's either TO or the Rags.

Agreed, I just checked NHL Numbers website, and according to them, the Rangers have a payroll of 52.9 million, and they still haven't signed Fritsche, Dawes, and Sjostrom. I just don't see them beeing able to pull this off, unless they trade somebody away.

You might as well give up, I've pointed that out a number of times and people continue to count the Rangers as players for Sundin. For some odd reason they think he'll sign there for no money, but that we need an 8 million dollar offer to land him. :wacko:

You might as well give up, I've pointed that out a number of times and people continue to count the Rangers as players for Sundin. For some odd reason they think he'll sign there for no money, but that we need an 8 million dollar offer to land him. :wacko:

I agree with you here Fanpuck. There is no chance the Rangers get Mats and the only player I can see signing for peanuts just for one more shot would be Selanne. Even then it is a situation I wouldn't bet on happening.

Guys, if Sundin turns us down, do you think Bob should give some consideration to pursuing Forsberg for a 1 year deal - assuming the man can get healthy over the summer? It might be worth the gamble - we wouldn't be giving up any players, and if/when Forsberg gets hurt (and he *will* get hurt), then we just revert to our non-Sundin line-up with Chips taking 3rd line centre and Koivu bumping up to 2nd line centre (which would likely be our lineup anyway if we don't get Sundin).

Then again, if we try this, we lose our cap space to try and pull off a mid/late-season trade for a legit #1 centre.

Any thoughts?