Sundin: will he sign here? (Take 2)

Mats: predict the outcome  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are we a-gettin' Big Mats?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want him anyway

Guys, if Sundin turns us down, do you think Bob should give some consideration to pursuing Forsberg for a 1 year deal - assuming the man can get healthy over the summer? It might be worth the gamble - we wouldn't be giving up any players, and if/when Forsberg gets hurt (and he *will* get hurt), then we just revert to our non-Sundin line-up with Chips taking 3rd line centre and Koivu bumping up to 2nd line centre (which would likely be our lineup anyway if we don't get Sundin).

Then again, if we try this, we lose our cap space to try and pull off a mid/late-season trade for a legit #1 centre.

Any thoughts?

forsberg is a great guy who once was a great hockey player. He needs to retire and put all this nonsense behind him. he cant stay healthy long enough to have any impact on any team.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forsberg is a great guy who once was a great hockey player. He needs to retire and put all this nonsense behind him. he cant stay healthy long enough to have any impact on any team.

I agree. One of swedens greatest ever but he is done and he should retire before the injuries will ruin his normal day life (if its not to late already)

A healthy Forsberg would be nice, but if Forsberg does return to the NHL, I doubt he'll play more than 40 games...and we don'T need that!

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I thought it worth mentioning that Carbo's comments at the last press conference, as cited on Habs Inside Out, are cause for further optimism:

Carbonneau seemed quite comfortable with the amount of time Mats Sundin is taking to determine his future. His serenity – while describing Sundin as an "extraordinarily good fit" with the Canadiens – suggests the club may be in a better position vis-à-vis Sundin than anyone is letting on.

When asked about Vancouver's offer, Carbonneau said "no one is going to spit on $20 million, but if competing offers are between $7 million and $8.5 million (per season), once you factor in taxes there's a difference of may $1 million, $1.5 million.

"I think Mats Sundin has plenty of money in the bank. Money won't necessarily be the deciding factor in where he chooses to finish his career.

"Everyone who knows Mats says he makes decisions when he's ready. I don't think he was ready July 1, and I think he's still not ready."

And with the Rangers and Detroit spending up to near the cap, Carbonneau says "I like our chances" of landing Sundin.

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I thought it worth mentioning that Carbo's comments at the last press conference, as cited on Habs Inside Out, are cause for further optimism:

Carbonneau seemed quite comfortable with the amount of time Mats Sundin is taking to determine his future. His serenity – while describing Sundin as an "extraordinarily good fit" with the Canadiens – suggests the club may be in a better position vis-à-vis Sundin than anyone is letting on.

When asked about Vancouver's offer, Carbonneau said "no one is going to spit on $20 million, but if competing offers are between $7 million and $8.5 million (per season), once you factor in taxes there's a difference of may $1 million, $1.5 million.

"I think Mats Sundin has plenty of money in the bank. Money won't necessarily be the deciding factor in where he chooses to finish his career.

"Everyone who knows Mats says he makes decisions when he's ready. I don't think he was ready July 1, and I think he's still not ready."

And with the Rangers and Detroit spending up to near the cap, Carbonneau says "I like our chances" of landing Sundin.

I think the fact that the Habs aren't pressuring Sundin is a good thing. Hopefully, Sundin will realize that he is now dealing with a 1st class organization and not some circus freak show!! ;) The Fact that the Habs' brass seem to be giving Sundin all the time and space that he needs to make his decision might impress the big Swede which will encourage him to come to Montreal. Also, like Carbo said, seeing Detroit and the Rags spend to the cap, really increases our chances. This whole saga will be done by August 15th.(I hope!)

I think the fact that the Habs aren't pressuring Sundin is a good thing. Hopefully, Sundin will realize that he is now dealing with a 1st class organization and not some circus freak show!! ;) The Fact that the Habs' brass seem to be giving Sundin all the time and space that he needs to make his decision might impress the big Swede which will encourage him to come to Montreal. Also, like Carbo said, seeing Detroit and the Rags spend to the cap, really increases our chances. This whole saga will be done by August 15th.(I hope!)

I still think the Leafs have the potential to do something really dumb, I think Sundin is in Montreal or retires.

call me optimist but i still log on rds.ca 2-3 times per day with the hope to see a breaking news title saying Sundin is now a Habs.

I believe he will sign with us. And, I can live with it regardless of what he decides. Without Sundin, we have a good team and our current under cap number allows us to manufacture a good trade deadline move :)

Who cares? I sort of do. Don't want to get the hopes too high. Sundin is the best short term money decision available.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I believe he will sign with us. And, I can live with it regardless of what he decides. Without Sundin, we have a good team and our current under cap number allows us to manufacture a good trade deadline move :)

We never know, there could be another idiotic GM out there willing to trade away a franchise centre like Joe Thornton (arguably the best forward in the game at that time) for a role player, and two second-rate talents. I don't even think you could get that trade accepted in a NHL video game...

All we can do right now is hope for Mats Sundin, or otherwise let the current team prove its worth, and be on the lookout for a potential trade to fill whatever void we'll have. After all, on paper, we're currently a top team in the NHL, filled with youth in that can get even better, like Andrei Kostsitsyn who could emerge as a Hossa-type offensive leader.

We never know, there could be another idiotic GM out there willing to trade away a franchise centre like Joe Thornton (arguably the best forward in the game at that time) for a role player, and two second-rate talents. I don't even think you could get that trade accepted in a NHL video game...

All we can do right now is hope for Mats Sundin, or otherwise let the current team prove its worth, and be on the lookout for a potential trade to fill whatever void we'll have. After all, on paper, we're currently a top team in the NHL, filled with youth in that can get even better, like Andrei Kostsitsyn who could emerge as a Hossa-type offensive leader.

I've got this feeling that Andrei Kostitsyn will emerge as a hell of a player this season. Obviously we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with this player, considering he was a 10th overall pick after his stock dropped due to him having a form of epilepsy (Or something along those lines?) AND being a Trevor Timmins selection. Kostitsyn will be a household name in the NHL following this season. That's my feeling.

I've got this feeling that Andrei Kostitsyn will emerge as a hell of a player this season. Obviously we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with this player, considering he was a 10th overall pick after his stock dropped due to him having a form of epilepsy (Or something along those lines?) AND being a Trevor Timmins selection. Kostitsyn will be a household name in the NHL following this season. That's my feeling.

I doubt I'm the only one, but I like to compare Kostsitsyn' potential to Marian Hossa. He's highly skilled, he's a guy who score goals using his great shot as well as setting up teammates with his playmaking abilities, he's strong physical and rarely loses a battle along the boards, and he's actually become very efficient in the defensive zone as well.

he was compared to him earlier in his career. I think hossa is the closest comparaison I can make but I don't think that AK has the same edge.

I really get a kick out of ecklund (he is anon for a reason) every 48 hours he posts a new rumour that sundin will sign in the next 48 to 72 hours. Hey he'll be right eventually :lol::rolleyes:

I really get a kick out of ecklund (he is anon for a reason) every 48 hours he posts a new rumour that sundin will sign in the next 48 to 72 hours. Hey he'll be right eventually :lol::rolleyes:

Sundin is Eklund's dream come true... a player potentially involved with 2 of the most rabid fan bases in the league, plus throw in the Canucks and Rangers besides. Lotsa hits... keep that $$$ coming...

Sundin is Eklund's dream come true... a player potentially involved with 2 of the most rabid fan bases in the league, plus throw in the Canucks and Rangers besides. Lotsa hits... keep that $$$ coming...

yeah all he has to do is put sundin in the title and come on bucks

...like Andrei Kostsitsyn who could emerge as a Hossa-type offensive leader...
Man oh man, does he ever remind me of Pavel Bure in regards to getting around or getting past the defence and going on a breakaway. I'm not saying he's Bure, but in that one department, every time he does it and scores it reminds me of Bure. Youtube both Andrei and Pavel highlights and you might get confused who is who on that particular style of play :lol:

Canadiens.com Andrei Kostitsyn highlight video.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Boy am I glad Gainey is staying put and staying quiet about the whole Sundin thing. I guess Gillis is using the media to drop little bombs of information to help entice Sundin over to Vancouver. While I don't blame him, with the Olympics being in Vancouver, Sundin could Captain the Swedish team from his own backyard. It does seem like a big incentive and I'm sure we would be using it as well if the winter olympics were being held in Montreal. I can't help but feel more desperation from the west coast camp than I do from ours. I hope that confidence on Gaineys part translates into Sundin coming to Montreal.

Sundin can Capatin Swedish Team from home............