Sundin: will he sign here? (Take 2)

Mats: predict the outcome  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are we a-gettin' Big Mats?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want him anyway

Since when have the Leafs ever been right?

http://www.hockeyexpressen.se/Nyheter/1.12...eslut-i-augusti

Loose translation..... Sundin denys renown: "decision in august 1"

It has direct quotes from Sundin himself saying his decison will be sometime in early August (dated Sunday)

Edited by Habitforming

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he'll make his August 1st "deadline". I'm sure we'll know by mid-August, but I doubt Sundin will respect any media-decreed deadlines.

I don't think he'll make his August 1st "deadline". I'm sure we'll know by mid-August, but I doubt Sundin will respect any media-decreed deadlines.

That's the point though. The "personal deadline" was supposed to be from Sundin's own words and not the media.

I guess alot was lost (or added) in translation

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/468845

From JP Barry

Barry and Sundin have arrived at what the agent called a "soft deadline" of Friday

to make that first key decision. Barry said Sundin will need the time after that to physically

prepare for training camp if he does not retire.

So it looks like Friday will only be the retirement or play decision. The team he ultimately

plays for will not be made until later in the month.

Edited by Wamsley01

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/468845

From JP Barry

Barry and Sundin have arrived at what the agent called a "soft deadline" of Friday

to make that first key decision. Barry said Sundin will need the time after that to physically

prepare for training camp if he does not retire.

So it looks like Friday will only be the retirement or play decision. The team he ultimately

plays for will not be made until later in the month.

JP was also the one who came up with the August first deadline. JP is in N.A. and Sundin is hiding away nicely in Sweden, imagine the pressure the involved GM's are putting on JP right now.

Edited by Habitforming

JP was also the one who came up with the August first deadline. JP is in N.A. and Sundin is hiding away nicely in Sweden, imagine the pressure the involved GM's are putting on JP right now.

I know. And all this extra work and he will get burned with 1/3 of the commission when Sundin passes on $10M per and takes $3M per season to sign in Detroit :lol:

OT: just finished booking my hotel for the Oct 4th Wild preseason game and the Bruins on Grey Cup weekend :)

Edited by Wamsley01

I know. And all this extra work and he will get burned with 1/3 of the commission when Sundin passes on $10M per and takes $3M per season to sign in Detroit :lol:

OT: just finished booking my hotel for the Oct 4th Wild preseason game and the Bruins on Grey Cup weekend :)

ur right.. if Sundin does decide to play again. then taking 3mil from detroit for one year would be the best win win scenario for him.

he wont have the Laffs fans on his back as much as if he signed with us.. the fact he signs to 7 mil less than what Vancouver offered also shows how f'ed up Gillis is...(by the way i almost ran him over with my bike yesterday) I meet this dude everywhere!

ur right.. if Sundin does decide to play again. then taking 3mil from detroit for one year would be the best win win scenario for him.

he wont have the Laffs fans on his back as much as if he signed with us.. the fact he signs to 7 mil less than what Vancouver offered also shows how f'ed up Gillis is...(by the way i almost ran him over with my bike yesterday) I meet this dude everywhere!

Well, Detroit's last $3 million just got used up by the Filpulla signing. So unless they dump salary or Mats is willing to play for $0.6 million, I think it's safe to say Detroit is no longer an option *knocks on wood*.

Well, Detroit's last $3 million just got used up by the Filpulla signing. So unless they dump salary or Mats is willing to play for $0.6 million, I think it's safe to say Detroit is no longer an option *knocks on wood*.

I really doubt ever was in the race once the got Hossa. I honestly believe it's between us, the Leaves and retirement!

RDS.ca has an article saying that Bob spoke with Sundin's agent today just to remind him that the Canadien still want to sign him.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/256771.html

I like the part about BOb giving Sundin his space and giving him no pressure from the Habs. Gainey felt the time was ripe to resume contact!

I think THN's Campbell said it best:

As far as Montreal is concerned, Sundin is apparently quite honestly having trouble seeing himself wearing a Canadiens sweater after all his years with the Maple Leafs. If so, it’s a noble gesture in an era when most players see themselves as nothing more than hired guns who have no problem turning their backs on their teams for the right price.

But if you believe some of the whispers out there, at this stage of his career, Sundin has no interest in going to a team where he will be placed under intense pressure to lead a team to the Stanley Cup, which would undoubtedly be the case in Montreal, where Sundin would instantly be installed as the Canadiens’ No. 1 centre ahead of Tomas Plekanec and Saku Koivu.

Playing under pressure, heck, not Sundin. Just play mediocre hockey year after year with the Laffs fits better with this dude - just my opinion.

Can't see his freaky face every day in the news anymore. :huh:

I think THN's Campbell said it best:

As far as Montreal is concerned, Sundin is apparently quite honestly having trouble seeing himself wearing a Canadiens sweater after all his years with the Maple Leafs. If so, it’s a noble gesture in an era when most players see themselves as nothing more than hired guns who have no problem turning their backs on their teams for the right price.

But if you believe some of the whispers out there, at this stage of his career, Sundin has no interest in going to a team where he will be placed under intense pressure to lead a team to the Stanley Cup, which would undoubtedly be the case in Montreal, where Sundin would instantly be installed as the Canadiens’ No. 1 centre ahead of Tomas Plekanec and Saku Koivu.

Playing under pressure, heck, not Sundin. Just play mediocre hockey year after year with the Laffs fits better with this dude - just my opinion.

Can't see his freaky face every day in the news anymore. :huh:

I think if you believe everything written there that all of the "Charcter guy", "Loads of heart", "great Leader" "clutch player" etc etc is all Bull Shit.

What kind of player doesn't want to win?

Edited by Habitforming

GUys, there's no need to get all worked up over these "stories". Do you really think 6 teams are interested in Sundin?? I don't. It's a tactic from his Agent (J.P Barry) to drive the price up for Sundin.

The Media in Montreal is soo tired of this waiting game that Mitch Melnick of the team 990 has decided not to mention Sundin's name until a decision has been made by the Swede. For now, he calls him "that guy"!!

I must admit, i am getting tired of this bull-shit. I say screw Sundin! We can do this without him, and maybe come january or february, we can find someone else for the final push to the playoffs.

Edited by Habsfan

GUys, there's no need to get all worked up over these "stories". Do you really think 6 teams are interested in Sundin?? I don't. It's a tactic from his Agent (J.P Barry) to drive the price up for Sundin.

The Media in Montreal is soo tired of this waiting game that Mitch Melnick of the team 990 has decided not to mention Sundin's name until a decision has been made by the Swede. For now, he calls him "that guy"!!

I must admit, i am getting tired of this bull-shit. I say screw Sundin! We can do this without him, and maybe come january or february, we can find someone else for the final push to the playoffs.

I think it is nonsense as well. But just because 6 teams are interested does not change a thing.

For one, it isn't like we all haven't poured over who has the cap space and who would make a good fit for the procrastinating Swede.

If Columbus is one of the 6 teams that is interested does it really matter?

If he is trying to milk more money will Vancouver up its 10M per year? Montreal its 7M per year? Not likely.

I am tired of this story, and I am with Mitch Melnick. From now on he is "that guy" for me as well.

I don't know why everyone gets so worked up. Sundin did say it would take him time to make a decision. He is not screwing anyone. BG has been fair with him and let him know with the trade for his rights that the habs were very interested.

If he decides to play for the Habs that will make the team much better.

If he doesn't i'm still ok with the current team, the are better on paper then they were last year. They are bigger, tougher and younger.

So if Sundin signs he signs, if he doesn't good luck with your new team. It's only the media and Ek whp get all worked up about this.

I don't know why everyone gets so worked up. Sundin did say it would take him time to make a decision. He is not screwing anyone. BG has been fair with him and let him know with the trade for his rights that the habs were very interested.

If he decides to play for the Habs that will make the team much better.

If he doesn't i'm still ok with the current team, the are better on paper then they were last year. They are bigger, tougher and younger.

So if Sundin signs he signs, if he doesn't good luck with your new team. It's only the media and Ek whp get all worked up about this.

I don't think people are worked up. Just bored of the news reports of JP Barry saying nothing, or Eklund commenting on nothing

and TSN's theories and our theories etc etc.

"That guy" has not made up his mind yet, and "That guy" will decide on Friday, no he won't, maybe he will.

Three team race, six team race, two team race, maybe "That guy" will retire, maybe "That guy" won't. Eklund has "That guy" going

to the Rangers, the Habs, The Nucks, The Habs again, mysterious team has entered the fray etc etc etc.

Boring

I assume Ottawa is one of the teams who have contacted Mats recently as well. They have cap space, and appear destined to trade Vermette, opening a forward spot. They still have to sign Mezaros, though. Ottawa is way worse as far as the "Toronto rival" syndrome, but they do have Alfredsson, who is a good friend of Mats.

I assume Ottawa is one of the teams who have contacted Mats recently as well. They have cap space, and appear destined to trade Vermette, opening a forward spot. They still have to sign Mezaros, though. Ottawa is way worse as far as the "Toronto rival" syndrome, but they do have Alfredsson, who is a good friend of Mats.

Now that would send Leaf Nation into a tizzy

You can pretty much cross that off the list. Vermette just signed a multiyear deal with the Sens.

Frankly, i think it's tiring as well. But on the other hand, what the hell would have gotten us through July and August? Baseball? The Alouettes? or the Impact?

I mean, I hate the fact that other media outlets are milking it dry, but at least everytime we hit the refresh button we have something to look forward to....

Now that would send Leaf Nation into a tizzy

Weather "that guy" ends up in Montreal or Ottawa, I think Leaf fans will pull a hissy fit!

I'll pull a hissy fit, but only if he retires.

He can play for any team in the NHL, and while I might not like or understand it, I will not be as pissed as I will be IF he retires.

After all this time and media drama, to just pull the plug and quit would be beyond lunacy.

I too am fed up with this, and also increasingly pessimistic. We just seem to be cursed when it comes to attracting high-powered UFAs - and it doesn't matter how good we are or how excellent our organization is (never mind the terrific lifestyle the city affords or the magic of the 100th anniversary, etc.).

My theory is that Mats will sign with a team we haven't been hearing too much about, e.g., Rangers, Ottawa, Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, or whatever: mostly teams that, for some reason, seem to have magentic appeal for UFAs. They'll "make room" for him under the cap.

I will say this, though:

-if he signs elsewhere because he doesn't want the "pressure" of leading a team to a Cup, then he's a loser. I don't believe that the warrior I've watched for a decade in hated Leafs blue is a loser. But if that's his rationale, then f**k him.

-if he avoids signing with us because he's afraid of enraging Leafs' fans, then he's just being foolish. In five years his number will be retired in TO and they'll be talking about him as a legend, no matter what he does in a short time with us.

It's already pretty clear the money isn't his main motivation, so I'm not too keen on Vancouver's chances.

Anyway: I'm pretty demoralized. We never get any breaks on the UFA front and the longer this goes on, the less I like our chances. Hopefully this is just excessive pessimism on my part.