Sundin: will he sign here? (Take 2)

Mats: predict the outcome  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are we a-gettin' Big Mats?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want him anyway

I can't help but feel more desperation from the west coast camp than I do from ours. I hope that confidence on Gaineys part translates into Sundin coming to Montreal.

I think it will!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly hope the rumour out of Sweden via russia is wrong, however he will then be in the west and of no real threat to us, so if he has to go somewhere else the farther the better. :lol:

I certainly hope the rumour out of Sweden via russia is wrong, however he will then be in the west and of no real threat to us, so if he has to go somewhere else the farther the better. :lol:

Haha nevertheless im sure he'll sign in montreal :P

Today's word from Mats

Not "stop the presses" comments, but he denies the latest rumor that a Vancouver deal is imminent. I also like that he says:

1) "I hope to make a decision about continuing with hockey in August or perhaps at the end of this month. If I'm going to play, it'll be for the whole season. I'll also be there from the beginning, when training camp gets underway."

and especially:

2) "When you're a professional hockey player, the money is one part of the total picture before a decision. But there are plenty of other things that play in as well. If it was only about the money, I would have already signed with Vancouver."

If it makes a difference, maybe we should simply tell Mats Sundin that we'll rest him against every Maple Leafs game during the regualr season... although if we meet the Leafs in playoffs (I wouldn't be that surprised to see the Leafs there), we'll be screwed... :unsure:

He ain't gonna sign with us.

This kind of decision, you do quicker, you don't stew on it this long. He'll go back to the laffs or retire.

Maybe his new box seats at BMHomo Field to watch the Impact beat Toronto FC will sway him back (ha ha!).

Edited by tokyohabs

there is an article on RDS.ca who says that Sundin will announce his decision on August 1rst. They do not say if it will be a signing or only a "will play/will retire" decision yet.

The article at TSN.ca says it will be a play or retire decision. But you would have to think that at this point, the team selection would follow quickly after a "play" decision.

The article at TSN.ca says it will be a play or retire decision. But you would have to think that at this point, the team selection would follow quickly after a "play" decision.

I have moved my percentages to 50% Leafs, 25% Habs and 25% retire, 0% Canucks.

Loyalty wasted on a team that would have dumped him without a second thought.

Edited by Wamsley01

It's pretty comical to see how much speculation is taking place about Sundin's decision, especially considering there has been virtually no meaningful indication from the man himself. It seems while the hockey-obsessed fans of the Habs/Canucks/Leafs have been wringing their hands, Sundin has been... fishing. The bandwidth consumed (not necessarily talking about Habsworld, because we're much more rational here!) at various sites has been enormous.

We're bound to reach the point where everybody has weighed in on the subject, aren't we? In fact, could the previous post by Wiggles be the case of the last holdout Habs fan putting his or her prediction on the record, inspired to open an account by this never-ending saga? (BTW Wiggles, welcome!)

I think so. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Sundin was simply waiting for the input of the world's interested parties to be made known, so he could make his decision in an climate of perfect information.

Mr. Sundin, Wiggles has spoken. You may proceed.

The thing is, by the time he signs, I really won't care anymore.

When Gainey acquired the negotiation rights and then traded for Tanguay I was giddy with excitement.

Then Sundin decided he needed a life walk to make his decision and now we not only have to speculate ourself,

but sit through the media meatheads specualtion and false rumours.

Now I do not project him in the lineup at all. If he signs, good. If not, oh well.

Go finish out your career with 78 pts and zero NHL team success Mats.

Edited by Wamsley01

I actually like the fact Sundin talks about Toronto and Vancouver in these interviews a lot and not so much Montreal. To me that means he's leaning this way. It's almost like he has already decided but he's playing the media right now and subconsciously leaves Montreal out of the conversation because he in fact is going to sign here.

Well, that makes my day a little better. ^_^

All I can say about the Sundin sweepstakes is that I thikn we have a damn good team even without Sundin. SO if he decides to end his Career in Toronto, then good for him. I will be looking forward to this year with great enthusiasm. WE don't need Sundin, but he can make our team better.

All I can say about the Sundin sweepstakes is that I thikn we have a damn good team even without Sundin. SO if he decides to end his Career in Toronto, then good for him. I will be looking forward to this year with great enthusiasm. WE don't need Sundin, but he can make our team better.

Without Sundin, we're certainly a contender, but there will be a lot of "IFs". However, adding an impact player like Sundin - even at his age - would make a big difference, and in my opinion would make us one of the TOP contenders.

With him in the lineup, we could very well have the deepest and most talented roster in the NHL. All that would be missing is the solid coaching to take us all the way to the end.

I am less and less caring of whether the blds signs here or not . The way I look at it we got us a team and we got 7 mill for flex room that is not so bad if we decide we want to make a big trade or make a deadline deal. Actually I think he should retire, or go back to the leafs cause that would mean the leafs will be in huge trouble finishing with blds probably 10th which mean no good draft choice and more pain, I like it when Toronto hurts. :hlogo:

He'd be foolish to sign anywhere but Montreal. The closest the 'Nucks are going to get to a Cup this year is to buy tickets for the Finals. And the vibe would really be strained if he tried to weasel his way back into Toronto after wavering for so many weeks. If he wants to have a legitimate shot at a ring this season, ala Hossa, the Habs would be his best choice if he decides he wants to play another year.

Edit: Please visit my intro thread here. I need some advice about an upcoming visit to Montreal.

Edited by vegas_shark

I think Sundin will decide on which team he will sign with today (and not announce it unfotunately) and then he will officially sign tomorrow or monday.

This is only my opinion of course.