Habs UFA and RFA Signings

Not sure if this was posted but it's fairly new. Sundin has been offered 10 million by an undisclosed team. 1:49 PM ET.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242175&amp...s=secStory_main

I doubt Sundin is looking for just $$ like Hossa is. He will not be getting 10M+ on a multi-year deal from a contender.

Detroit wouldn't do it because it would throw their whole salary structure out of whack.

That is coming from a team that has a ton of cap room and most likely off Sundin's radar.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt Sundin is looking for just $$ like Hossa is. He will not be getting 10M+ on a multi-year deal from a contender.

Detroit wouldn't do it because it would throw their whole salary structure out of whack.

That is coming from a team that has a ton of cap room and most likely off Sundin's radar.

e.g., the Canucks... 2 year/$20 Million offer as per sportsnet

e.g., the Canucks... 2 year/$20 Million offer as per sportsnet

Vancouver is not a contender. So if he wants to go cash in for 2 years, he should take the deal.

Edited by Wamsley01

I completey believe that Vancouver made that offer.

I doubt that Sundin will take it, because he probably wants to end his career in a good organization and a contending club.

Vancouver really should throw that deal Hossa's way. They're utterly bereft of any offensive talent, either young or old, so they can afford to overpay on a long-term deal for a genuinely elite offensive player.

The RDS report also indicates that Sundin could be weeks away from making a decision about whether he even wants to continue playing, let alone where he wants to play.

Looks like Habs fans are in for a slow UFA day.

Well, Tsn has just pulled that little 10 mil blurb so it may just be BS, but definitely working in the Sundin camp's favor.

Well, Tsn has just pulled that little 10 mil blurb so it may just be BS, but definitely working in the Sundin camp's favor.

Woops just refreshed.....it's still there, nevermind

I completey believe that Vancouver made that offer.

I doubt that Sundin will take it, because he probably wants to end his career in a good organization and a contending club.

Vancouver really should throw that deal Hossa's way. They're utterly bereft of any offensive talent, either young or old, so they can afford to overpay on a long-term deal for a genuinely elite offensive player.

The RDS report also indicates that Sundin could be weeks away from making a decision about whether he even wants to continue playing, let alone where he wants to play.

Looks like Habs fans are in for a slow UFA day.

If he is weeks away it probably plays in the Habs favour.

Why would he leave a Leafs team where all the offensive burden was on him and go to another team that

is going to rely heavily on him as well as play a defensive oriented game? He would also have to take on all

the West Coast travel as well. All for the hope the Canucks can go from missing the playoffs to the Cup in a year?

I think Gainey is going to sit back and see how this unfolds. He made his splash a week ago and with the depth

of talent in his organization can sit back and roll the dice that Sundin's options narrow the longer he takes.

If Sundin retires, the Habs have lost what exactly? Rolston? Hossa? Jagr? Naslund? Not exactly a big mistake

to stay out of this ridiculously inflated market.

Hmm. Sundin at 10 million or Rolston at half that or less . . . Not really a question which one is better for the team.

I would rather have Sundin @ 1 year 10M, then Rolston at 5M for 4 or 5 years.

Edited by Wamsley01

Couldn't agree more. Rolston at that price over 4 years would suck.

Sign Sundin to the max this year, and go and bring Stanley home.

Ooo, Price vs. Theo - that'll make for interesting times. :clap: I like Theo, so seeing him more often is exciting.

I'm surprised that Huet keeps getting the short end of the stick. Even teams that he's stepped in and helped in a big way - LA, Montreal, and now Washington - all seem to throw him on the slag-heap for no obvious reason. Unless the thinking is that both Theo and Huet are better off as 40-game guys, which does make some sense...except that that sounds like a mighty expensive way to go.

I'd call that a slight head-scratcher, unless the dollars turn out to be sensible.

I see that TSN is very definite that it's the Canucks who made the 10-mil/2 year Sundin offer. This doesn't mean we didn't offer 10-mil, but it does suggest that it wasn't Gainey's idea.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Ooo, Price vs. Theo - that'll make for interesting times. :clap: I like Theo, so seeing him more often is exciting.

I'm surprised that Huet keeps getting the short end of the stick. Even teams that he's stepped in and helped in a big way - LA, Montreal, and now Washington - all seem to throw him on the slag-heap for no obvious reason. Unless the thinking is that both Theo and Huet are better off as 40-game guys, which does make some sense...except that that sounds like a mighty expensive way to go.

I'd call that a slight head-scratcher, unless the dollars turn out to be sensible.

Huet could have signed a deal before July 1st. So this is his own fault. Anybody think that he was going

to resign in Montreal for a discount now?

I see that TSN is very definite that it's the Canucks who made the 10-mil/2 year Sundin offer. This doesn't mean we didn't offer 10-mil, but it does suggest that it wasn't Gainey's idea.

I have read 2 years 16M from the Habs

And? Do you like Sundin at 8 mil for 2 years?

I would prefer a 1 year deal. But I could live with that deal. I think he has 2 good years left in the tank.

It could push Kovalev out the door next season. But Sundin is not injury prone and the term is not a cap killer.

So I would do that.

Edited by Wamsley01

TSN reporting Raycroft to the Avalanche. Poor Mils and Jets.

I would prefer a 1 year deal. But I could live with that deal. I think he has 2 good years left in the tank.

It could push Kovalev out the door next season. But Sundin is not injury prone and the term is not a cap killer.

So I would do that.

It's a cap killer if he retires after one season.

Dude, the Habs CAN'T offer 10 million. That would leave only 4 million to resign Gorges, O'Byrne, Halak, and Kostitsyn. Kostitsyn alone will be getting 3 of that.

I'm surprised that Huet keeps getting the short end of the stick. Even teams that he's stepped in and helped in a big way - LA, Montreal, and now Washington - all seem to throw him on the slag-heap for no obvious reason.

Huet was asking 5 million a year for 5 years. He brought free agency upon himself.

Maybe Saskhab has more insight into this.

I read that because the CBA is up after next season that teams will not be able to differ bonuses

til next season and will have to leave room for them this season.

Thus creating even less cap room than we all anticipated.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079

Edited by Wamsley01

Maybe Saskhab has more insight into this.

I read that because the CBA is up after next season that teams will not be able to differ bonuses

til next season and will have to leave room for them this season.

Thus creating even less cap room than we all anticipated.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079

Here's the deal, as explained to me as dlbalr:

For the past three years, bonus money counted against the cap until the bonus could not be reached. If the bonus money took the team over the cap (upto 7.5% over), then the bonus money could be deferred to the next season. This year, the bonus money will count no matter what, and cannot be deferred. Only teams right up against the cap will really be affected by this.

Barry on TSN says Montreal is going another way after trying to get a deal done with Sundin.

Another way eh? Did he gave any details, what does this ''other way'' means?