Habs UFA and RFA Signings

I want out of this market. The prices are crazy and any player who is interested in $$ that ever signs before

becoming a UFA on July 1st is a moron. 7M+ for Brian Campbell, are you ######ing kidding me.

This is why what the Habs are doing will lead them to the Cup. You cannot win a title by signing big ticket free agents,

you need to develop your homegrown talent consistently and then deal the ones who you feel do not A. fit in your system

and B. will reach their potential for future impact players.

Back away before you piss away a ton of cash on an average to above average player. The escalation and pissing contests

that are going on today are amazing.

3.5 M for a 28 year old D-Man with 90 games experience? Close to 6M for Huet?? The guy is 32 and has never won a playoff

series. Half the GMs in this league are bloody idiots! I cannot wait to see all the hype over the Lightning in 2 months and

watch them destroyed because they have no defence or goaltending.

Unreal. Stay away Bob, please stay away. The 5 minute euphoria of signing somebody for the sake of signing somebody

is not worth the years of possible cap pain.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html

David Pagnotta of TFP says the Habs are now talking to Streit. He also mentions the Habs telling Sundin they are looking in other directions, listing Hossa and Rolston as two such directions.

I really don't see Hossa after getting Tanguay. That only really makes sense to me if they consider Tanguay a one year cup rental, which I don't think they do.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html

David Pagnotta of TFP says the Habs are now talking to Streit. He also mentions the Habs telling Sundin they are looking in other directions, listing Hossa and Rolston as two such directions.

Let Streit walk. Do not pay a 4th-6th D-Man or a 3rd line forward 4M+. At this market price

it will be a very poor value.

I would like to add Rolston. He would fit nicely. 4M yes, 5M+ no.

Let Streit walk. Do not pay a 4th-6th D-Man or a 3rd line forward 4M+. At this market price

it will be a very poor value.

I would like to add Rolston. He would fit nicely. 4M yes, 5M+ no.

no way Rolston goes for less than 5M I think.

I'm with Wamsley. Stay the hell out of this preposterous market. Rolston will command AT LEAST $5 mil given the insanity we're seeing today. And probably too long a term as well, since I'd imagine he'll want one of those "see me through to the end of my career" deals.

Given that, in the absence of Sundin, we have some free cash, it's well worth exploring signing Streit, IF he can be had for a reasonable cost. But I wouldn't take the attitude that because we're not signing any big names, we can afford to overpay for Streit. $3 mil for him, absolute maximum, I should think. And even that makes me nervous.

I'm with Wamsley. Stay the hell out of this preposterous market. Rolston will command AT LEAST $5 mil given the insanity we're seeing today. And probably too long a term as well, since I'd imagine he'll want one of those "see me through to the end of my career" deals.

Given that, in the absence of Sundin, we have some free cash, it's well worth exploring signing Streit, IF he can be had for a reasonable cost. But I wouldn't take the attitude that because we're not signing any big names, we can afford to overpay for Streit. $3 mil for him, absolute maximum, I should think. And even that makes me nervous.

I agree but if Streit is out for money as he appears to be - it's hard to believe he would accept 3M from us when Jeff Finger is getting 3.5M and Mike Commodore is getting 3.6. At this point, I may be willing to go as high as 3.5 for him but.. I think I'd rather just go with O'byrne. It doesn't look like we're going to be making any significant signings this summer.

Fine with me. If we stand pat, we are already one of the teams to beat this season.

My thoughts so far:

Good for Huet, but way overpaid and for 4 years. Making more than Marty Brodeur. Sickening.

Campell, went for the expected huge dollars. Makes the Habs signing of Markov look better and better each day.

Toronto signs Finger for 3.5 per over 4 years. What the ..... Gotta laugh at them.

Sunding offered 10 million by Van for 2 years. He goes there and they'll still be lucky to make the playoffs.

Rolston to NJD is done :puke:

Sundin that ######er played us. We should have bought Brian's rights.

Only hope, Hossa?

Only hope, Hossa?

Anything we got in free agency was just gonna be icing on the cake. Look at it this way:

Out: Ryder, Streit, Smolinski, (Brisebois)

In: Tanguay, O'Byrne to a larger role, Chipchura to a larger role

I think Chipchura can bring more than Smolinski, O'Byrne can settle in nicely on the blueline, and Tanguay gives us lots of offensive depth up front. The one big loss is Streit on the PP, but we can likely live with that. Sergei supposedly played it well in juniors. Tanguay could allow Kovalev to move to the point. Komi and O'Byrne are supposed to have heavy shots, maybe one of the two can show some offense, given an offensive role.

Anything we got in free agency was just gonna be icing on the cake. Look at it this way:

I think Chipchura can bring more than Smolinski, O'Byrne can settle in nicely on the blueline, and Tanguay gives us lots of offensive depth up front. The one big loss is Streit on the PP, but we can likely live with that. Sergei supposedly played it well in juniors. Tanguay could allow Kovalev to move to the point. Komi and O'Byrne are supposed to have heavy shots, maybe one of the two can show some offense, given an offensive role.

Don't forget - as the blithering arseholes in the media are guaranteed to do - that we can reasonably be expected to improve by standing still, because most of our young players should get better simply by the normal process of development. That alone could be enough to make us "scary good" next season.

We have nothing at all to regret here. So far we've avoided stupid signings, added Tanguay, and kept a whack of cash in the kitty to use for future purposes (including, possibly, a major addition at trade deadline day). Sounds good to me.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Matts Sundin's agent, J. P. Barry, said in an interview on TSN on Tuesday regarding the teams that were after Matts, that he understood Montreal was going in another direction. That must mean Montreal has given Matt their offer and have moved on and, since Rolston has signed with NJ, barring a trade, they must be hot on the trail for Hossa.

Rolston to NJD is done :puke:

Sundin that ######er played us. We should have bought Brian's rights.

Only hope, Hossa?

Being that Rolston's rights were traded to Tampa and told them he was going to test the market should tell you that no, Gainey shouldn't have traded for his rights.

Also, being that Rolston went from one boring, defensive team in Minny to an even more boring defensive team in NJ, that should tell you that he apparently doesn't want to be on a team that actually scores goals and plays exciting games.

Also, why has Sundin "played us"? He's been saying forever that he doesn't want to rush his decision. He's actually been very up front about the situation.

Basically... I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Let me say that I'm a bit surprised that the Habs didn't even make Sundin an offer. That seems kinda weird, no? All that fooforah, and not even to extend an offer - ?

I guess the Habs didn't make an offer today. They had a week to talk and Sundin knows the Habs are really interested and I'm sure he knows what the Habs would give him (if he hasn't received a formal offer, which I'd doubt).

Let me say that I'm a bit surprised that the Habs didn't even make Sundin an offer. That seems kinda weird, no? All that fooforah, and not even to extend an offer - ?

they didn't make an offer today. I'm sure they made offers before the UFA period started.

Why make an offer to a guy who has stated he wants to contemplate what he is doing over the next couple of weeks.

Gainey talked to him and gauged the lay of the land. Maybe Mats told him to hit the road, maybe Mats told him I will call

you when I make up my mind.

Montreal will be in a good position when he makes up his mind as long as Bob doesn't do something stupid and give Hossa

big bucks for 6-7 years.

I still think Sundin is a very distinct possibility

Matts Sundin's agent, J. P. Barry, said in an interview on TSN on Tuesday regarding the teams that were after Matts, that he understood Montreal was going in another direction. That must mean Montreal has given Matt their offer and have moved on and, since Rolston has signed with NJ, barring a trade, they must be hot on the trail for Hossa.

Would be great to have Hossa. I'm concerned about two things: 1-He is probably looking for a ridiculously high contract that would put him near the level of Crosby/Malkin; 2-About Montreal: not sure what Marcel told him about the Habs organization and if he'd be interested to come here

they didn't make an offer today. I'm sure they made offers before the UFA period started.

lol simonus.. simultaneous/identical post

Yes Streit is a big loss. I'm sure Gainey wants him back. He's a great and smart player, but he's worth near 3M and we need all the cap space to get a scorer. In that regards, Tanguay is NOT a goal scorer and we lose at the change (if we believe Ryder can resurrect and score 30). I believe we still need to add a goal scorer to the crew.

Man, I really hope that Gainey lands Sundin. I'd be really disappointed if not. I know the Canadiens will not have regressed, but three consecutive years of striking out at UFA time would leave a real bitter taste.

I do love the improvment, but since we have the cap room, why not improve even more to a cup winning team :hlogo:

IMO, so far:

Fails:

Leafs- Finger at 3.5 per! Hagman at 3 per! HILARIOUS

Habs- Once again, failed to live up to expectations :angry:

Hawks- 12m in Goaltending and Tallon says he is keeping both Goalies!? And overpaying an overrated Campbell.